2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Short's Key Lime Pie - Short's Brewing Company

Short's Key Lime PieShort's Key Lime Pie

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.75% ABV

(Beer added by: jrallen34 on 02-21-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 359 | Reviews: 184 | Show All Ratings:
domtronzero

1.23/5  rDev -64.1%

A - Murky orange copper with a short-lived, quickly collapsing whitish head. No Lacing. Kind of ~blah~.

S - Acetic, infected, funky, dirty aroma. Dry bready malts and a weird artificial fruit smell.

F/M - Tart acetic infected with a funky/dirt flavor. Sweet bready malts. Muddled flavors otherwise. No distinguishable key lime or pie crust. Quite disappointing and just plain terrible. Medium body with very high carbonation.

D - Drain-pour for sure. Hard to drink more than a couple sips. Get it together, Shorts.

10-09-2010 08:10:48 | More by domtronzero
BearsOnAcid

1.23/5  rDev -64.1%

Dark gold color, sort of ugly looking with it's murky body and lack of head. Like a cup of pond water. Smells sweet with very faint lime and cracker. Weird nasty lime and sugar taste and a honeydew finish. more like old rotten honeydew. This beer is just flat out disgusting and cloyingly sweet. The combination of flavors are strange and don't work at all. I wonder if there is some sort of translation lost when going from tap to bottle because I've heard people that have only had the tap version say it tastes exactly like key lime pie, which I love. This is like key lime pie if I left it out on the counter in the sun for 3 months. Doesn't seem like this is infected but with such strange ingredients I wonder if I'd even be able to tell if it were.

11-17-2010 19:12:18 | More by BearsOnAcid
FeDUBBELFIST

1.45/5  rDev -57.7%

Received as an extra from Jeremiah. Even though I didn't like this beer, I am EXTREMELY grateful for the opportunity to have tried it. Sampled 9/14/11. 12oz bottle to pint glass. No ABV or batch number indicated.

A: Pours with a large light brown head, fizzy and soapy in texture, and rapidly diminishing. The body is medium brownish-orange and very murky with decent-sized white flecks of adjunct floating on top. An endless supply of bubbles race ferociously to the surface. No chance of lacing.

S: The label warns: "Beer brewed with marshmallow & lactose with lime & graham crackers added." Well, most of those ingredients were evident but I've had more marshmallow-forward beers that didn't actually include them in the brewing process. Toasted cereal (think Grapenuts) and the faintest hint of chocolate. Lime-y hops. A little must. This is all very odd. I swirled the glass to bring out more aroma and kill off some of the extra effervescence - but all I effectively did was arouse more chunks of sediment.

T: Stale graham cracker, sour milk and Chinese food. I get the key lime pie flavor to a degree, but I fear it is more from the power of suggestion than anything else. Long lasting flavor (is unwanted and) leans toward the sweet side. Unexpectedly acidic. My stomach is starting to turn lol.

M: The body is light and thin with a mineral-like texture. Carbonation is way too high.

O: Gotta love Shorts - and their risky brewing endeavors! This didn't work though. Perhaps fresh on tap from the source is another story...

Despite my poor review, again, I'm very happy to have tried this beer.

02-11-2012 13:23:19 | More by FeDUBBELFIST
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

1.63/5  rDev -52.5%

Acquired from tburkhart, courtesy of the Under 100 IV BIF so a big "Thank You" goes out to him. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep amber color, with a very thin off-white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains caramelized malts and an odd aroma that I can only assume comes from the combination of marshmallow, graham crackers, lactose and lime that are all listed on the label.

T: The taste starts out with sweet flavors of caramel and lime that are quickly followed by bready flavors from a hearty malt character and the added graham crackers. The lactose and marshmallow are faintly in the background. It's a unique concept but the flavors do not seem to mesh well at all. The hops presence is very faint, but I have a feeling that any more would make this beer taste even worse. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Not very smooth and a little crisp, medium body, light-to-medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Flavorful but not tasty at all, does not go down easily, not too filling, mild kick, original representation of style, not a beer that I would recommend.

12-04-2010 23:32:03 | More by TheManiacalOne
nrbw23

1.68/5  rDev -51%

A- Pours a very cloudy orangeish color, with a thin white head. Head is gone in a flash and leaves no lacing.

S- Is some what tart. Quite a bit of a bready smell and a bit of a fake lime smell. Very odd smelling beer.

T- Taste is more of the same. A very odd lime twist, a stale cracker and a bit of a cream flavour.

M- Medium in body and pretty low in carbonation.

D- Wow this one was bad. I tried to drink this but only could through about a third of it when I called it quits.

01-05-2011 09:15:47 | More by nrbw23
Duff27

2.03/5  rDev -40.8%

Not much to look at. Kind of a murky dark fold color. Head recedes very quickly. Floaty crap on top of the liquid...graham crackers?

Weird lime aroma.

Peppers?? This weird taste, hard to describe. For whatever reason I get a lot of lime and peppers in this. Not desirable.

Over carbonated, medium mouthfeel.

Worth a try? No. Don't know what Shorts was going for but I'm sure its not this. Thanks TATURBO, I think.

02-05-2012 21:59:23 | More by Duff27
Verecund

2.1/5  rDev -38.8%

September 25, 2011.

Pours a watered-down bronze. It's hazy and has tiny chunks of something resembling bread crumbs that cling to the side of the glass.

Light lactose, sweet lime, and buttery, bready maltiness.

Hmm. When I first smelled and tasted this, I thought: "This can't be right." But I think I was mistaken - it's odd, but it does seem like what a key lime pie masquerading as a beer might seem like. Sweet, bready malts [graham cracker?]; somewhat metallicized lime; sweet and milky lactose. It's hard to get more than the muddled lime and sweet maltiness out of it. I like key lime pie well enough, but this is just a bit off. The lactose and sugary sweetness combine with an almost indiscernible tartness, which gives off an aura of spoiled milk. Just a weird beer.

Medium, with medium-low carbonation. As mentioned, there are junks of something in it.

Adventurous, but not a very good beer. Had no real desire to finish this.

09-26-2011 01:28:20 | More by Verecund
700Uave

2.13/5  rDev -37.9%

321Jeff gave me this as an extra.

Slightly hazy, amber color beer. minimal white head that dissapates quickly, eventually into nothing.

This beer smells wrong. I can sense honey sweetness and cracker smell that is listed on the bottle but overall the smell is borderline rotten....after a minute of smelling it I figured it out- the lime has gone bad. call me crazy but behind the sour rottenness I can smell some ginger-esque spices. more graham cracker?

I dont want to taste it. but i will. the taste isn't horrible, surprisingly. its not good at all and i don't want another sip but its not horrible. yea, I get the lime maybe some cracker if I want to find it. really sweet, i'd guess its the lactose among other things. Marshmallows and lime i'd bet.

very thin mouthfeel. the carbonation really, really subsided fromt the initial pour.

this is the opposite of drinkable

by far the weirdest beer i've tasted. not apalled, not impressed. i appreciate the creativity behind this and the balls that Shorts has to bottle this.

02-04-2011 06:19:57 | More by 700Uave
DefenCorps

Oregon

2.15/5  rDev -37.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Thanks Devin. I needed this.

Light amber with a dense, white head that recedes to a disk, this is solid. The nose, OTOH, is disgusting. If I'm charitable, like John was, I'd describe it as sauerkraut and seaweed, but to me, it felt like someone took a dump on my face. Offensive, sweet and nasty. Thankfully, the palate is significantly better. No real lime or cream flavors, this is a little sweet and the lactose really sticks out. The finish is flabby, the body, medium and the carbonation, light. Awful.

11-07-2010 22:46:40 | More by DefenCorps
zachary80

2.2/5  rDev -35.9%

2011 Poured into a pint glass

Hazy Orange body. Large head fades immediately; more like bubbles from a soda or something. Poured it with intent to leave the yeast in the bottle but still ended up with some disgusting floating blobs. There is a layer atop the beer that seems oily

Aroma is sickly sweet and smells mostly like a super sweet pie crust

Taste starts with a little citrus then tons of sweetness, mostly crust. Only would guess Key Lime Pie because of its name

As my girlfriend said, "I need to go back in time to before I tried that"

08-21-2011 21:01:30 | More by zachary80
robboyd

2.2/5  rDev -35.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

This is a novelty brew. Does it taste like lime? Sure. Does it taste like keylime pie? No. I don't know if that would make it any better. My sense of smell was somewhat diminished due to allergies during tasting but two of my lady friends confirmed a strong scent of white vinegar, it was off putting.

I didn't mind the taste. It wasn't a drain pour but it isn't something I'll want to drink again. I've heard good things about Shorts and I was sad I couldn't stop in the last time I was in northern michigan on a golf trip but this beer didn't rep them well (although I didn't expect it to).

10-16-2011 00:53:03 | More by robboyd
anotherpg

2.23/5  rDev -35%

This was a strange experiment: a super sweet and sour beer. It was like drinking the beer equivalent of a sour patch kid - not a beer I'd have more than one of. Good color, a sweet odor, and given the strange sweet tart flavor not entirely drinkable. This is a one to bring out to impress and wow your beer buddies with it's oddity.

11-22-2010 01:12:05 | More by anotherpg
SebD

2.23/5  rDev -35%

Appearance: It has semi-cloudy orange/amber color to it. It has a thick extremely bubbly off-white head that dies down quite fast and leaves minimal lacing.

Smell: The aromas definitly give out hints of lime, lactose, bready notes and vinegar.

Taste: Like the aromas, it has a very straight forward sweetness and sourness from the lime and lactose along with some bready notes from the graham cracker and that off putting vinegar taste.

Mouthfeel: It has a medium carbonation with a decent overall balance and feel.

Drinkability: It's a very smooth drinkable beer accompanied with ok flavors and aromas. This one is definitely not for me, I don't even think i'll be able to finish the bottle and that's rare!

05-29-2012 21:22:20 | More by SebD
BBP

2.4/5  rDev -30%

Pours a copper chestnut shade with no head or lacing.

The smell was a step up from the appearance. There's a sharp sweetness to it that smells of lime and perhaps even a bit minty. The cloying sweetness is a little off-putting for me.

The taste again, is overly sweet. They did indeed create a key lime pie flavor, and they did it quite well, but the sweetness of this is too much. I really don't know how to describe it well. It's key lime pie in a beer. Cloyingly sweet though, even for KLP.

The body is medium to thin. Carbonation is just right. The finish is moderately dry and slightly sticky.

Overall, this beer achieves what it sets out for. I'm wondering what kind of brew Shorts couldn't pull off. As far as drinkability goes, it's far too sweet for me to finish. If it's more bearable after warming up, I may complete it, but otherwise It'll likely be a drain-pour.

10-12-2011 17:35:18 | More by BBP
liamt07

2.4/5  rDev -30%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2

Bottle shared by Sammy, 12oz into a tulip.

Dirty darker orange, offwhite head without any retention or lace. Nose has artificial lime notes (extract?), almost some minty mouthwash character as well. Everything else appears to be muddled together. Taste has more artificial lime notes, minimal malt character (although it's perhaps a bit crackery), leafy and spruce notes I think. Thin body, low carbonation. Almost unpalatable, couldn't finish my sample.

02-07-2013 15:32:57 | More by liamt07
BMoney575

Sampled on 9-27-10

Pours a very cloudy orange/brown color, with a super thin and filmy white head.

Smell is very sweet and bready, giving way to sugary lime aromas and lots of wheaty malt. Not balanced, and not particularly enjoyable.

Taste is just what you'd expect, a weird fruity malt, tons of cloying sweetness, and many out-of-place, vegetable flavors. Short's QC problems really show through. Almost a drain pour.

Mouthfeel is very thick, adds to the sweetness, and lacking the carbonation that would lighten things up.

Drinkability is poor, bad flavors and disappointing mouthfeel.

Overall, probably decent immediately fresh and on-top. Otherwise, don't bother.

09-27-2010 21:47:07 | More by BMoney575
LaLaCat

Maryland

2.42/5  rDev -29.4%

12 oz bottle, excited to try this one, thank you WeisGuy!

Nice cloudy amber pour. Aroma of sweet limes & sour milk. Perhaps the brewers were aiming for a tart creamy lime? Unfortunately, the tart and sweet are muddled and indistinct, yielding a strange and unappealing reversal of the ingredients' chief virtues. Taste is almost identical to the nose.

The uniquely delicious aftertaste redeems this beer somewhat. A distinct, lingering graham cracker crust - unusual, and most welcome, among novelty dessert beers. One could easily imagine this same crisp, bakery-fresh aftertaste in combination with other sweet-tooth faves, with very appealing results! I look forward to trying more Short's. Tart & lactic was not the greatest combo, IMO.

11-11-2010 18:04:27 | More by LaLaCat
AwYeh

2.42/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle poured into pint glass, received via trade with arvjnuk. Thanks Ankur!

A: Pours a cloudy golden amber, with one finger of off white head.

S: Smell is almost overwhelming composed of a strange, funky lime sourness. A bit of saltiness stands out, as does a bready aroma, presumably from the graham crackers.

T: Once again, lime sourness prevails (I notice other reviews noting they can't tell if this sourness is intended or the beer is infected; I had the same thought at first). Tasting almost like vinegar, the strong sour makes it hard to pick out other flavors, though I do get a bit of marshmallow sweetness on the finish.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation, nothing wrong here.

D: A bit hard to drink; the overpronounced odd lime flavor is too dominant and there isn't much to come back to by the end of the glass. Definitely couldn't have two bottles back to back.

While I wasn't a huge fan of this, it was very unique and I'm glad I got to taste it. If you have the chance to pick up a single, it's worth a try.

01-07-2011 18:09:06 | More by AwYeh
Brez07

Maine

Reviewing from notes. 12oz bottle poured into a snifer

A: Burnt orange color. Limited head on the pour but a swirl gets up to a 1/2 finger

S: Very sweet swelling. Semi-tart lime scent. Seems spoiled. Bit of cracker as well

T: Key lime and lactic flavors. Oh man, this is tough to drink. The sweetness is very cloying and the unintentional tartness is just harsh. Guess this is a lesson to be careful when brewing with lactose sugar

M: Medium bodied. Highly carbonated. Not a fan of the aftertaste... sour lime and burnt malt

D: Not a fan. Definitely infected. Another pass from the dessert beer category

02-04-2011 00:22:45 | More by Brez07
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

2.48/5  rDev -27.7%

Bottle received from Thorpe429. Thanks Mike!

The appearance of the beer is still and orange, with a small head that leaves no lacing. The aroma is very odd. Unlike Strawberry Short's Cake (which I thought was great), this beer seemingly has no relevance or connection to key lime pie. The flavor has subtle hints of lime juice, but for the most part, the flavor is just weird and off-putting. The body is thin, with very low carbonation. I appreciate pushing the limits of brewing and creativity, but ultimately this beer is not drinkable or enjoyable.

12-30-2010 22:07:57 | More by Huhzubendah
mcomben

2.48/5  rDev -27.7%

Poured from bottle to Sam Adam's glass on 8/22/2011.

A - Burnt orange hue, almost no head, and carbonation bubbles on the glass that would expect to see in a glass of pop.

S - I was expecting to get more citrus from this beer. Instead just the smell of graham and sweetness.

T - Mostly graham and marshamallow. I honestly could not taste any lime at all, and would be hard pressed to guess this was key lime pie. Still scratching my head on this one.

M - effervescent. not unpleasant, but a little more fizz than i like to see in my beer.

O - I love Shorts beers. Their Huma and Brown are among my favorite daily drinkers, and i would imagine what the company relies on to pay the bills. This beer undoubtedly falls into the 'experimental' category, something Shorts is known far and wide for. While it wasn't something i would drink again, I'm glad i had the opportunity to try it and welcome a brewery that is willing to think this far outside of the box.

08-22-2011 14:17:56 | More by mcomben
jmarsh123

2.48/5  rDev -27.7%

Pours hazy reddish color with a small creamy head that fades immediately with no lacing. Had a few what looked like graham cracker chunks in the beer.

The nose is assaulted by massive lime aroma. Really does smell like key lime pie with some crackery sweetness.

Some tart lime up front although dreadfully it tastes very artificial. Stale graham cracker with a little tartness and milk. Didn't really get much marshmellow. More than 4 oz of this would have been unbearable. It kind of tastes like dipping a stale graham cracker in spoiled milk.

Carbonation levels are on the lower side which doesn't do the sweetness any favors although the mouthfeel is pretty creamy.

Drainpour for me. I appreciate the concept, but feel the execution beyond the smell was off. I've come to the determination no matter how many times I try, I just don't like much stuff from Short's no matter how good the concept sounds.

09-14-2012 15:49:39 | More by jmarsh123
duceswild

Maryland

2.53/5  rDev -26.2%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Was really looking forward to trying this beer.

Pours an amber color, with a fizzy head. Right away got a sense of carbonation. Smells of lime and gramcrackers. Taste was similar although I felt like I could actually taste pieces of gramcrackers. I also got some slight sourness to it. Definitely hits the main areas of key lime pie and is interesting for sure.

Was glad to try this one, but won't be looking for it in the future. Really appreciate the way Short's pushes the creativity.

05-05-2012 05:27:04 | More by duceswild
sweemzander

2.55/5  rDev -25.7%

12oz. bottle poured into an imperial pint.

(A)- Pours a clear amber color that produced a good white head with decent retention. Some thick lacing left behind.

(S)- Kind of a citrus lime zest that turns a tad tart, yet has a light nutty caramel-like sweetness.

(T)- Same like the smell. A nutty caramel sweetness with a light yet tart lime citrus zest.

(M)- A good carbonation level to it. Sweet, with a citrus kick. Has a weird nutty character I was not expecting in this.

(D)- I always applaud Shorts for trying new ways to push the boundaries of certain styles and this is no different, however I was expecting it to be far more like the name implies. Yes, there is lime, but the marshmallow and graham cracker parts seemed to have meshed into a nutty caramel-like malt that does not quite agree with the tart/acidic lime.

09-14-2010 18:27:58 | More by sweemzander
crashdavisinoh

2.55/5  rDev -25.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

A-Hazy copperish orange...

S-Just as the bottle says...Key Lime (thought not pie)

T-Key lime...again...not key lime pie...did not pick up any graham cracker character...the citrusy lime flavor was present...dominant I mean

M-medium to high carbonation...not very smooth...

D-very low...I did not finish the bottle I poured...maybe half. The beer tastes and smells like limes...no more...no less. I would LOVE to love this beer. I respect short's greatly for trying different things...this is one of the beers I wanted to try as soon as I got into craft brew...it disappointed. The "pie" element was missing and the lime...standing alone...well, this was just a version of bud light lime with MUCH MUCH better beer and MUCH MUCH better ingredients for extra flavorings.

01-18-2011 05:10:42 | More by crashdavisinoh