1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Short's Key Lime Pie - Short's Brewing Company

Short's Key Lime PieShort's Key Lime Pie

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.75% ABV

(Beer added by: jrallen34 on 02-21-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 359 | Reviews: 184 | Show All Ratings:
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

3.73/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Spruce aroma. Decent mouthfeel. Carbnation is there. Lime and spice, spruce and sugar in the taste.Marshmellow. Bottle from Steve in Warren. Somewhat green colour.A bottle proved to be too much to solo.Would like more real lime and less sweetness, bring it on.

01-27-2013 03:34:03 | More by Sammy
UCLABrewN84

3.23/5  rDev -5.8%

Thanks to kzoobrew for sending me this one!

Pours a murky orange with a huge 3 inch extremely bubbly head that boils down to random spots of film. Random tiny bubbles of lace dot the glass on the drink down. The look of this beer is pretty dirty. Smell is of malt, peanuts, and sharp citrus aromas (but not really lime per se). The peanut aroma reminds me of the Uber Goober and PB&J beers. The taste is interesting with malt and subdued peanut flavors. The citrus is more apparent on the aftertaste where it lingers on the back of the tongue. This is also when a slight graham cracker taste settles in. The citrus creates a slightly sour and acidic mouthfeel with a pretty good level of carbonation. Overall, this is an odd beer that sounds like it would be great but comes out being just OK really. I am glad I got to try it but I wouldn't trade for this one again.

09-04-2011 01:02:51 | More by UCLABrewN84
mikesgroove

South Carolina

3.13/5  rDev -8.7%

so i decided last night to break out 10, thats right 10 new shorts beers for a nice sampling with the family. turns out my and my brother in law were the only ones willing to go down this road, so long afternoon for sure. serve cold and consumed on 10/02/2010.

the pour was not at all what i expected, a light brownish amber with a smooth cap of white that stuck on the top for a good few minutes before settling down with a light lacing.

aroma was odd to say the least. tones of lime, graham crackers and buttery malts, but it seemed just too much for me. the limes were by far overly dominant and it did not seem to come together for me the way i would have liked. as i take the first sip i am not overly happy here at all. very big lime juice, lightly sweet lactose and a hint of cream, but it did not pull together the way some of the others have for me. it just seemed there was too much in the lime and it distracted from the overall balance. light finish with you guessed it, way too much lime in it led to an astringent taste.

overall no way i could do this again, but others here seemed to enjoy so to each his own.

10-03-2010 14:26:17 | More by mikesgroove
womencantsail

3.23/5  rDev -5.8%

Thanks to MustardKrautFan (RIP) for this beer. Consumed on a dark and stormy day--the perfect weather for beer that is supposed to taste like food.

A: The pour is a light amber color with almost no head. There's a bit of an opaqueness to the beer.

S: The nose is a bit confusing. On the one hand, that could be lactobacillus there, but it could also be the limes providing that tart fruitiness. There's a bit of a funkiness which leads me to believe there's some bugs. A very mild sweetness to the beer at times.

T: Lime zest really stands out on the palate as I take the first few sips. Again, a slight tinge of lactobacillus, but it could just be the funky nature of this Short's beer. A mild graham cracker sweetness and hints of sugar to go along with the tartness.

M: The body is medium but the carbonation is on the low side.

D: Hmmm, I'm still scratching my head on this one. There were some things I liked about it, but things I didn't. A bit like limeade, truth be told, with a bit more sweetness.

10-18-2010 21:54:08 | More by womencantsail
brentk56

3.5/5  rDev +2%

Appearance: The liquid looks just like apricot nectar and it doesn't take long for the inch or so of head to fritter away, leaving just a few strands behind

Smell: The key lime pie ingredients are all there, key lime cream filling and graham cracker crust; not that it all smells that great on a beer, however

Taste: Tastes just as it smells, with tart key lime flavors mingling with the graham cracker and lactose elements; after the swallow, the tartness moves into a sour direction

Mouthfeel: Medium body with prickly carbonation

Overall: Glad I tried this novelty but I am unlikely to seek it out again; kudos to the brewer for dreaming up this recipe

Thanks, FlandersNed, for the opportunity

09-04-2011 16:47:47 | More by brentk56
Thorpe429

3.18/5  rDev -7.3%

Thanks to my parents for picking up a sized in Michigan.

Pots a lgt orange copper color. Definitely different than what I thought, though I doubt even Short's would be making green beer. Nose brigs for a bit of sourness; doesn't seem citric though. That's about it. Quite generic. Taste brings a bit more with somewhat of a lime characteristic and some malty sweetness. Feel is a bit light with low carbonation. Drinks fairly well, although a few ounces is plenty.

10-10-2010 19:37:10 | More by Thorpe429
metter98

3.5/5  rDev +2%

A: The beer is clear orangey amber in color and has no signs of visible carbonation. It poured with a thin ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass.
S: There are aromas of malty sweetness in the nose along with some notes of lime.
T: The taste has a light to moderate amount of sweetness and notes of limes in the flavors.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied and somewhat smooth on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: The beer isn’t that difficult to drink because it’s not that sweet and the lime flavors are subdued.

06-07-2011 00:43:40 | More by metter98
TMoney2591

3.28/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a tumbler.

Thanks to dug for this bottle!

I've never really had key lime pie before, so hopefully the beer version is kind to me. It pours a cloudy tawn' topped by a short-lived bit o' dirty white foam that doesn't quite rise to half a finger. The nose comprises graham crackers, toasted marshmallow, sour lime, caramel, and a sort of light brett character. Judging from the nose, I'd say the label does not advertise falsely. The taste is very similar, though the bretty bit is toned down significantly, there's decidedly more graham cracker, and the lime comes across a little fake. Moreover, everything kinda comes in and out cacophonously, like a scene out of a Boccioni painting. The body is a medium light, with a moderate carbonation and a somewhat dry finish. Overall, this was definitely an interesting beer. Though I don't think it turned out quite as well as I'd hoped, I like the inventiveness.

12-06-2010 06:44:28 | More by TMoney2591
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

1.63/5  rDev -52.5%

Acquired from tburkhart, courtesy of the Under 100 IV BIF so a big "Thank You" goes out to him. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep amber color, with a very thin off-white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains caramelized malts and an odd aroma that I can only assume comes from the combination of marshmallow, graham crackers, lactose and lime that are all listed on the label.

T: The taste starts out with sweet flavors of caramel and lime that are quickly followed by bready flavors from a hearty malt character and the added graham crackers. The lactose and marshmallow are faintly in the background. It's a unique concept but the flavors do not seem to mesh well at all. The hops presence is very faint, but I have a feeling that any more would make this beer taste even worse. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Not very smooth and a little crisp, medium body, light-to-medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Flavorful but not tasty at all, does not go down easily, not too filling, mild kick, original representation of style, not a beer that I would recommend.

12-04-2010 23:32:03 | More by TheManiacalOne
emerge077

4.1/5  rDev +19.5%

A couple goblets tonight at the Short's party in Chicago.
Brewed w/ lime puree, graham cracker, marshmallow and milk sugar; 5.75%

Tawny orange copper color, slightly hazy, a quick fizz of foam that fades fast into a ring. The color is nice, almost suggestive of a pie crust.

Aroma was the highlight, very desserty, sweet with hints of graham cracker and crushed oreos. Possibly some lime zest under that but subdued.

Creamy oreo filling, mild cocoa, marshmallow/toffee, and graham cracker, some tangy lime zest upfront that fades into the sweet confectionary pie crust buttery breadiness. Not especially tart. A bit thin in the body, but the creaminess saves it. Had to have two, although others were not as enthusiastic about it.

Super interesting Willy Wonka style experiment, not your typical fruit beer, very ambitious and successful at recreating the nuanced elements of key lime pie. Sounds crazy but it's true!

04-08-2010 02:39:04 | More by emerge077
drabmuh

Maryland

2.65/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Gift from Thorpe..thanks.

I deserve a medal I drank 12 ounces of this thing. Proving once and for all that I have no palate.

Beer is amber and clear with minimal head and no lacing.

The aroma is grainy with MILD lime.

I can taste the lime...in the aftertaste...other than that this is a fucking TRAIN wreck of a beer. Its light in body and hard to pound. It's not drinkable, I've had this on draft and it was quite good, but the bottled version is a disaster. what happen?

12-09-2010 05:24:36 | More by drabmuh
Mora2000

3.9/5  rDev +13.7%

Thanks to RBlaszak for sending me this bottle.

The beer pours an orange color with a white head. (I was hoping the beer would be green, oh well.)

The aroma is limes with some tartness. I also get some caramel and bready malt.

The flavor is very nice (but I am not sure if I am really tasting these components, or just imagining that I am after reading the label). The first taste I get is tart limes, but I also get some honey and bready malt - aka - graham crackers. I also get some creamy notes which taste about like marshmellows. The flavor has a nice mix of sweet and sour that I am really digging. After reading the label, I think I can pick out each of the components. If I hadn't read the label, I am not sure what the result would have been.

Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

One of the best Short's beers that I have tried. I love this brewery and hopefully I will get to try some more of their beers.

09-25-2010 04:26:04 | More by Mora2000
Knapp85

3.8/5  rDev +10.8%

Thanks to grinnellj for sending me this one. This brew poured out as a copper/orange color with a fizzy white head on top. There are also some floating chunks on top of the beer also. The head fades and doesn't leave much lacing behind either. The smell of the beer is definitely Lime, major Lime aromas spewing out of this beer. The taste is a combination of tart lime, with some additional sweetness in there and finishing with the graham cracker. The mouthfeel is smooth, creamy and gently carbonated. Overall this is a pretty interesting brew, I can't say I would drink this again but I am pretty glad I got to try it.

11-03-2012 00:47:39 | More by Knapp85
mdfb79

2.98/5  rDev -13.1%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into my Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary tulip.

a - Pours a hazy orange-amber color with one inch of off white head and high carbonation evident. Big thanks to deadeye for hooking me up with some Short's beers; thanks Charlie!

s - Smells very sour and of lactic. Also smells of bready malts, caramel malts, and lime. At first I was getting the bready malts/graham cracker, which I enjoyed, but the more I smelled it and drank it, the more the lime came out, as well as the lactic. Interesting.

t - The taste is dominated my lime, and then give way to a lactic taste yet again. Hints of the graham crackers/bready malts, and fruity malts come through as well.

m - Light to medium body anf high carbonation. Pretty smooth and creamy and would rate this higher if not for the high carbonation that hurts it a bit.

d - Overall I wasn't a big fan of this one. The smell and taste are dominated by lactic and tart lime, and the sourness just didn't do it for me. I'm glad I got to try it, but wouldn't seek it out again. I'm hoping the other Short's beers I got are better than this.

10-11-2010 23:17:07 | More by mdfb79
stakem

look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Big thanks to cmurren25 for the chance to try this brew again and throw down a review for it. It has been awhile since I last had this and well, either my memory is off or at this stage of the game, this is almost a completely different beast from what I remember.

Poured into a shaped pint glass, this brew appears a hazed orange amber color that is just slightly more orange and lighter in color than cidar. 2 fingers worth of yellowish stained head form up and slowly recedes leaving a legwork of lace across the glassware. A swirl hardly agitates more than a few large bubbles from suspension.

The aroma of this brew is quite awkward. It is strikingly similar to...well something like sauerkraut. It is faintly reminiscent of lime but you really got to work your imagination to get there with the nose. It is both sweet and sour smelling all at the same time. As it warms, it picks up a bit of a toasted quality and more sweetness but hanging around constantly is the indication of something sour.

The taste is well, interesting. It does actually taste like liquid key lime with a bit of a sharpness to it that is lightly acidic. More sips reveal a sweetness that is a pleasant addition to the lime flavoring but it really contrasts the seemingly sour aspect of this brew. There is a toasted quality to the finish that lingers in the mouth. It is not quite marshmallow and not quite gram crackers (as advertised on the label) but it certainly is a toasted quality that is much different form the typical toasted grain flavor. At times this brew is a little rough to handle, it has a bit of a mineral taste to it that comes off medicinal.

This is medium bodied with a moderate to light amount of carbonation. A very strange brew that is certainly worth giving a try but I find myself struggling to finish a full 12 ounces. A very wild and wacky idea here and it hits in some aspects and is way off in others. You gotta try it for yourself to understand.

01-28-2011 03:47:55 | More by stakem
Kegatron

4.1/5  rDev +19.5%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Thanks go to splax23 for a couple of these in trade.

Pours a hazy copper, with a ½ finger of smooth white foamy head. This peters down fairly quickly but swirling gets some richness back up on the edges and still manages to leave some a cascade of spotty froth on the sides of the glass. The aroma is a bit muddled smelling. I'm definitely getting some tart lime, with hops and sugary sweetness all jumbled up together into a deep earthy tang. I mean, I can pick up the different flavors but some more definition to the nose would have been welcomed.

Luckily the taste is much more defined and pretty darn spot on for the flavors that are supposed to be at work here. The fruity tartness of the lime. The creamy milky sweetness of the marshmallows. And even the sugary dough of the graham crackers. It is all so tangy and delicious, with the lime flavor in particular hanging on the lips after each sip. There is just enough earthy bitterness present as well, which helps cut some of the more possibly cloying aspects of the sweetness. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, maybe a touch lighter, with an even blend of prickly creaminess and easy slickness that helps keep this lively but smooth on the palate. There is just a touch of lingering warmth present as well but it doesn't distract from the flavors in the slightest.

I was initially worried about this, after hearing some early complaints about the bottles, but was very pleased with what I got out of this. This did taste like a piece of key lime pie in a glass and was pretty representative of what I tasted on draft at the Extreme Beer Fest last February. This is one Short's experiment that worked for me.

09-23-2010 15:10:49 | More by Kegatron
johnmichaelsen

Oregon

3.13/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Many thanks to Devin for sharing this beer the other day.

The beer pours a tannish amber color with good head retention and lacing. This beer doesn't really look like anything out of the ordinairy, but then I smelled and tasted it... good lord.

On the nose I get an incredible aroma of saurkraut, sour funk, and tart lemon/lime. I'm not sure if this was what the brewer was going for, but to say it ain't working for me is an understatement. On the palate, this beer actually isn't half bad. Much to my surprise, there is some underlying sweetness, which is something this beer really needs. However, the orange and cherry cough drop I get tends to drown out everything else, though I get some underlying tartness that is attractive. Mouthfeel is medium bodied to light, and it finisihes fairly well with some refreshing tartness. As for drinkability, although the alcohol is pretty much unnoticeable, I just think this beer is a mess. Even the relatively small 4 ounce sample I had was more than I could handle, and ultimately I just thought this stuff was weird.

While I admire the brewer's creativity, I just think this is one experiment that didn't turn out very well.

11-07-2010 21:03:50 | More by johnmichaelsen
glid02

Georgia

3.68/5  rDev +7.3%

Bottle shared by Lee - thanks!

Pours a hazy copper color with a half-finger white head. The head recedes into a thin layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of moderately sweet crackers - half graham and half oyster. Also present are good amounts of indistinct and grainy light malts and slight amounts of artificially sweetened lime notes.

Tastes similar to how it smells, though not as well-integrated. Somewhat dry pale malt flavors kick things off and are joined almost immediately by sweet cracker flavors. Medium citrus flavors leaning toward lime but also with hints of grapefruit join in shortly thereafter before sweetening up midway through the sip, somewhat artificially. The citrus flavors fade out, allowing the cracker and malt flavors to carry through to a mildly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with smooth carbonation.

Drinkability is OK. I finished my glass without a problem and could have another.

Overall this was a very interesting beer that tried harder to emulate it's namesake than maybe it should have. The cracker flavors were the most off-putting and I think a more lime-forward beer would have been tastier. Still, despite the somewhat low score this beer is worth a shot to see for yourself.

11-21-2010 22:36:44 | More by glid02
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

2.48/5  rDev -27.7%

Bottle received from Thorpe429. Thanks Mike!

The appearance of the beer is still and orange, with a small head that leaves no lacing. The aroma is very odd. Unlike Strawberry Short's Cake (which I thought was great), this beer seemingly has no relevance or connection to key lime pie. The flavor has subtle hints of lime juice, but for the most part, the flavor is just weird and off-putting. The body is thin, with very low carbonation. I appreciate pushing the limits of brewing and creativity, but ultimately this beer is not drinkable or enjoyable.

12-30-2010 22:07:57 | More by Huhzubendah
JohnGalt1

Idaho

3.88/5  rDev +13.1%

12oz from my SURPRISE box from Kbeals... This is the 2nd time I've enjoyed this one. Kevin also sent us a growler... but I am pretty stoked to review this one fresh off the tip of my tongue and not paper notes...

Sharing it with the wife... poured into my Old Guardian Goblet... thin white head.. pretty nice lacing though.. The brew is hazed orange amber...

Nose shows plenty of lime and "I guess graham crackers".. a bit toasty.

Flavor is lite lime puckery with some lime zest to drive hope the big player... a bit of minor perceived sweetness mid palate I think could be milk sugars.. finish has the toasty malt/graham cracker essence I was hoping for. Medium bodied with a lite/medium carbonation.

Honestly, this bottle shows the same as my notes from the growler... I am picking up on all the different "key lime pie" components, but they don't come in the same order, and that makes it a bit of a conundrum, but a good thoughtful one. I really actually like it.. but not enough to really want one of these more than every couple of months.

I am impressed as always with the pains Shorts goes through to reach the "unique bar" and this is no exception. Thanks a ton Kevin.

3.5/3.5/4/4/4

10-20-2010 04:23:32 | More by JohnGalt1
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

3.53/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured into unibroue snifter.

Pours 1/4 finger of off-white head. Color is a burnt orange.

Aroma: Tons of limes here and a big amount of marshmallow. Gram-crackers are light. It is pretty much just like the label says.

Taste: Weird, it really tastes like pie. Lactose and cream flavors. Limes, marshmallows, and gram-crackers. Again, tastes just like the label describes it.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy. Lighter bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends clean with lime flavors.

Overall, another interesting beer from shorts. It is just like the name says it is which is pretty cool. Somewhat drinkable, but ever so interesting.

10-02-2010 16:43:27 | More by mothman
superspak

3.8/5  rDev +10.8%

12 ounce bottle into pint glass, no bottle date. Pours hazy orange amber color with a fairly dense 1-2 finger off white head with good retention that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Minimal lacing on the glass. Aromas of big tart limes, lemon, biscuit, graham cracker, and a bit of toasted malt. Interesting aromas to say the least, but the tart lime notes overpower everything else for the most part. Taste of lime, caramel, biscuit, graham cracker, lemon, and slight cream. The taste is actually very nice and balanced, and lightly tart compared to the aromas. No bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of lightly tart lime, biscuit, and lemon for a short bit. Sweetness is not cloying at all. Medium carbonation and body; with a fairly creamy and smooth mouthfeel. Alcohol is very well hidden with no warming noticed at all. Overall this is a very nice experimental beer from Short’s. Nice flavors going on here and not offensive by any means. Really enjoyed this one, they nailed it.

03-14-2012 04:30:28 | More by superspak
thagr81us

South Carolina

3.63/5  rDev +5.8%

Big thanks to Spica66 for multiple bottles of these guys! Served from bottle into a Stone nonic. Poured yellow-orange with a one finger off-white head that subsided to a minimal amount. Maintained excellent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, lime, and slight graham cracker. The flavor was of sweet malt, lime, tart, slight graham cracker, and funk. It had a light feel on the palate with mild carbonation. Overall this was a decent brew. Glad I got to try it, but it was not what I was expecting/hoping for. Had a decent aroma and flavor, but neither were awe-inspiring. The funk on the followthrough was just a bit odd and kind of turned me off from this brew some. With that said, it is a must try at least to judge for yourself.

01-03-2011 20:37:01 | More by thagr81us
largadeer

4.38/5  rDev +27.7%

Thanks to dabecassis for sharing the growler.

Moderately hazy brownish-amber with a solid white cap. Rich graham cracker pie crust aroma with a squeeze of key lime. Smells amazingly like key lime pie, dessert-like but not excessively sweet. I'm amazed at how well they captured the buttery graham cracker crust aroma. It tastes exactly as it smells: Graham cracker pie crust with tart citrusy lime. Nice malty graham cracker pie crust sweetness up front with only the slightest hint of bitterness behind it. There's also a mellow toasted malt background and ample tart lime flavor. This was a surprisingly great beer, completely unique and actually fairly drinkable, though probably not something I would reach for often.

Serving type: growler

09-28-2010 01:00:02 | More by largadeer
BeerFMAndy

Wisconsin

2.9/5  rDev -15.5%

12 oz bottle poured into a Sierra Nevada imperial pint. "Beer brewed with marshmallow and lactose with lime and graham crackers added." No date or info.

Thanks to both sweemzander and Thorpe429 for a bottle of this!

A - This pours a hazed-over golden amber color with a low off-white head. Low retention but good lace is left clinging to the glass.

S - The aroma reminds me of the sour-infected nose of plenty of other Short's brews I've experienced, although not as prominent yet. Green apple skin astringency, hints of graham cracker, a drop or two of lime, and no hops. This isn't very good starting.

T - Much maltier than anticipated, it's got a pretty strong caramel sweetness with a touch of graham cracker to it. The lime appears on the finish with a mild zest as does that infection hint. The flavor seems similar to a ramped-up Corona with a lime.

M - Medium-bodied and sweet initially with a bit of hardness and moderate carbonation to it, it finishes with a little sourness. It seems to be partially from an infection as well as the lime. A bit astringent.

D - I always admire what Short's goes for with their beers whether they hit the mark or not. This is a miss but it's not awful.

10-26-2010 12:31:14 | More by BeerFMAndy