Short's Key Lime Pie - Short's Brewing Company

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.75% ABV

Beer added by: jrallen34 on 02-21-2010

2.7/5  rDev -20.4%

pour is a darker amber color with a tan head that dissipates quickly. Nose has tons of lime, faint vanilla and cracker. Taste is artificial lime, bitter behind, light vanilla, lingering bitterness, lighter body, decent carbonation. Flavors are a bit flabby, and there is an off chemically flavor.

3.51/5  rDev +3.5%

Reviewing the Key Lime Pie from Short's Brewing Company out of Michigan.
Score: 78

August 2012 release bottle. Served in a Three Floyds teku glass and enjoyed on 09/15/12. I received this one in a box from Raymo55 for whooping his butt in fantasy this year.

Appearance: Pours a murky reddish orange color that you cannot see through. Some floaties are definitely hiding in the murkiness of the beer. Less than finger of tan head off the pour settles completely. Below average lacing, average retention. 3/5

Smell: You know what the green colored lime flavored ice popscicles smell/taste like? That kind of limey aroma smacks you in the nose from a distance with some graham cracker too. There is also just a hint of sweet and sugary vanilla. 4.5/5

Taste: Tastes like sugary-sweet key lime pie. The lime is kind of candied, but it is not the the flavored ice Popsicle lime flavor that the nose lead on. Graham cracker crusts and a little marshmallow too. The key lime pie flavor yields in the finish to an American adjunct lager-esque aftertaste following the swallow that is not the most pleasant. In this regard, the beer reminds me of New Glarus' Apple Ale. There is a faint tartness from the lime, and I am noticing the lime flavor really lingers. 3/5

Mouthfeel: Light-medium bodied with a light amount of carbonation that has a lot of life from the tartish lime flavor. Super sweet, slightly tart and juice-like. 3.5/5

Overall: A great nose, but this beer is way too sweet and has a poor aftertaste following the swallow. I appreciate the opportunity to try this beer, but it is not one I will seek out again. I guess my quest to find a good Short's beer continues.

Recommendation: Skip this one unless you really like diabetes-inducing key lime pie and Miller light.

Pairings: Key lime pie.

Cost: $10.99 for a six pack.

3.94/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

1516th Review on BA
Bottle to Goblet

No bottle date
Thanks to ErikKoppin

App- A bit of a golden color. Maybe a bit darker than Peches. Small 1/8" head that was fizzy and white. No cling or lace. A bit of a good density in the center of the glass.

Smell- When somone says Key lime pie, I want it. And well by George here it is in liquid for. An amazing amount of huge lime, sweet marshmellow fluff with granulauted sugar, just like a pie.

Taste- It's actually really tasty. I would say more of a boozy margarita. And No I wont buy the BL lime-a-rita. This had a good balance behind it. A lot of the sweet lime, whipped sugar, hearbal and slight booze. Nice compact package.

Mouth- A lighter medium body & lighter creamy carbonation level. Had a lot going on in the finish but mostly you get sweetness, booze and limes.

Drink- Okay. I get short's novelty beers. This wouldve been good to pair, but sadly no where around here has a good key lime pie. Nice dessert beer.

2.61/5  rDev -23%

Pours hazy reddish color with a small creamy head that fades immediately with no lacing. Had a few what looked like graham cracker chunks in the beer.

The nose is assaulted by massive lime aroma. Really does smell like key lime pie with some crackery sweetness.

Some tart lime up front although dreadfully it tastes very artificial. Stale graham cracker with a little tartness and milk. Didn't really get much marshmellow. More than 4 oz of this would have been unbearable. It kind of tastes like dipping a stale graham cracker in spoiled milk.

Carbonation levels are on the lower side which doesn't do the sweetness any favors although the mouthfeel is pretty creamy.

Drainpour for me. I appreciate the concept, but feel the execution beyond the smell was off. I've come to the determination no matter how many times I try, I just don't like much stuff from Short's no matter how good the concept sounds.

A= Hazey copper color. Look's exactly like apple cider. Zero lacing, zero head.

S= Lime and lots of it. You can also smell the graham crackers in this along with a hint of lactose.

T= I'm rating this beer based on what it is supposed to taste like. Key Lime Pie. Short's hit the nail on the head with this beer, it is absolutely amazing! On first sip I taste lime, a little lactose, sweet marshmallow and a burnt graham cracker taste. Flavor lingers on tongue for a long time. Beer is quite tart, but not very sweet which I honestly enjoy.

M= Creamy with low carbonation.

O= Short's Key Lime Pie is an excellent experimental beer! One that I will definitely be looking for in the future! I'm glad that I was able to score a six pack of this when I was able to!

3.46/5  rDev +2.1%

Thanks to MikeTD to sending this beer. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a slightly hazy copper hue with a nice one finger head that fades almost immediately. a couple big, chunky whitish brown particles were floating at the top of, which I scooped out when I poured; marshmallow or graham cracker chunks. No head retention or side lacing.

S - So this EXPLODES with key lime aromas. Its worth noting, when I bury my nose in it I get more of a coppery type beer with grains, however, when I Swirl and take a wiff from a foot or so away I smell key lime pie. Great lime notes, crushed graham crackers, and light marshmallow type sweetness. Dont get any creamy lacto though.

T - This is tough to judge for me. So, theres more of that tasty, tart key lime that fades almost immediately to a strong slightly burnt graham cracker. The fact that theres a very faint lacto creamy tasty in the middle is what bumps this up to a 3.5 for me. Barely.

M - Mouthfeel is nice. Super tart, which is to be expected. Slightly creamy, lowerish carbonation but that keylime sensation keeps this from feeling flat.

O - I really, really wanted to like this beer but that burnt graham cracker on the aroma and especially on the back of the taste kind of ruined it for me.

3.42/5  rDev +0.9%

A - pours a copper, caramel color without much of a head on it

S - the nose has lime, cinnamon pie crust, and vanilla all weaving together, with the lime being the strongest scent

T - starts off with sweet lime flavors up front. The limes hold strong through the palate. A little bit of crust and vanilla show up toward the middle and back, but the lime overpowers it. Interesting beer here.

M - a little watery and medium bodied

D - overall this is an interesting beer. I like trying new concepts, and key lime pie conceptualized as a beer is new to me. I would definitely recommend it as I think Shorts pulled it off well and it is also not your run of the mill style.

3.5/5  rDev +3.2%

I traded for a six pack of this because my wife loved it at EBF one year. Review from notes sampled spring 2011.
Pours a slightly hazy golden color with a bone white head that has great retention. Smells of lime, bread, caramel, and tartness. The flavor is tart with the lime dominating the taste. Bready malts and a hint of caramel round out the flavor. Medium to light body with a more than spirited level of carbonation and a tart sugary mouthfeel. I tried this at EBF and thought it was so much better than this bottled version! I swear I could taste meringue when I first tried this, but this bottled version lacks the wow factor of our initial taste of this beer. I'm not sure how fresh these bottles were.

3.5/5  rDev +3.2%

Thanks TheSevenDuffs!

Appearance. Pours a cloudy deep gold-amber with 2+ fingers of sticky, bubbly, pale yellow head.

Smell. Sweet graham crackers while I was pouring, but not as much from the glass. Some tart citrus and light grains.

Taste. Tart and sweet limes, some caramel and toast. This isn't bad at all.

Mouthfeel. Medium+ body, medium-strong carbonation.

Overall. What can I say, they made a beer taste like key lime pie. Actually tasted just fine ...as long as you're expecting it to taste like key lime pie anyways.

2.25/5  rDev -33.6%

Appearance: It has semi-cloudy orange/amber color to it. It has a thick extremely bubbly off-white head that dies down quite fast and leaves minimal lacing.

Smell: The aromas definitly give out hints of lime, lactose, bready notes and vinegar.

Taste: Like the aromas, it has a very straight forward sweetness and sourness from the lime and lactose along with some bready notes from the graham cracker and that off putting vinegar taste.

Mouthfeel: It has a medium carbonation with a decent overall balance and feel.

Drinkability: It's a very smooth drinkable beer accompanied with ok flavors and aromas. This one is definitely not for me, I don't even think i'll be able to finish the bottle and that's rare!

2.55/5  rDev -24.8%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Was really looking forward to trying this beer.

Pours an amber color, with a fizzy head. Right away got a sense of carbonation. Smells of lime and gramcrackers. Taste was similar although I felt like I could actually taste pieces of gramcrackers. I also got some slight sourness to it. Definitely hits the main areas of key lime pie and is interesting for sure.

Was glad to try this one, but won't be looking for it in the future. Really appreciate the way Short's pushes the creativity.

3.47/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle into snifter. No date.
Special thanks to TheSevenDuffs for this one.

A- Pours a hazy burnt orange with a couple white chunks floating around. Finger width white head that vanishes in seconds.

S- Okay how to describe this... I'm getting limes, and marshmallow, I can get the graham cracker but it's more in a generic "sweet cookie" smell than anything else. I sense something resembling soy sauce or something "off"... It's more obvious after every swirl.

T- Okie dokie, this is odd. Right up front you get the tang from the limes, followed by that "off taste" which I'm assuming is the lactose. I can taste the graham cracker and the little chunks taste like marshmallow. It literally is key lime pie. You have to close your eyes and think about it but the essence is there and it mostly works.

M- Light to medium bodied, light on the carbonation. Cheek tingling from the limes and slightly chewy.

O- This is really something else, it's odd and original, sweet and sour and just an overall strange experience... I can't imagine buying a whole case but I would definitely try again.

2.8/5  rDev -17.4%

Short's Brewing Co.
Key Lime Pie
No bottle date, but I've had since November
DFH signature glass

A: Light amber/orange color. Initially it was was very eferesant but the head faded quickly. No lacing or alcohol feet. Some weird white bits in the beer too.

S: All breadiness really. Maybe some graham cracker stuff going on. Some sweetness from the lactose.

T: I'll be honest, this is old and I owe it another review. But it's really strange, like all the Short's beers that I have had. Sweet and malty. No bitterness. Maltose sugars sweetness. Strange close.

M: Medium because of the coating

1.43/5  rDev -57.8%

Received as an extra from Jeremiah. Even though I didn't like this beer, I am EXTREMELY grateful for the opportunity to have tried it. Sampled 9/14/11. 12oz bottle to pint glass. No ABV or batch number indicated.

A: Pours with a large light brown head, fizzy and soapy in texture, and rapidly diminishing. The body is medium brownish-orange and very murky with decent-sized white flecks of adjunct floating on top. An endless supply of bubbles race ferociously to the surface. No chance of lacing.

S: The label warns: "Beer brewed with marshmallow & lactose with lime & graham crackers added." Well, most of those ingredients were evident but I've had more marshmallow-forward beers that didn't actually include them in the brewing process. Toasted cereal (think Grapenuts) and the faintest hint of chocolate. Lime-y hops. A little must. This is all very odd. I swirled the glass to bring out more aroma and kill off some of the extra effervescence - but all I effectively did was arouse more chunks of sediment.

T: Stale graham cracker, sour milk and Chinese food. I get the key lime pie flavor to a degree, but I fear it is more from the power of suggestion than anything else. Long lasting flavor (is unwanted and) leans toward the sweet side. Unexpectedly acidic. My stomach is starting to turn lol.

M: The body is light and thin with a mineral-like texture. Carbonation is way too high.

O: Gotta love Shorts - and their risky brewing endeavors! This didn't work though. Perhaps fresh on tap from the source is another story...

Despite my poor review, again, I'm very happy to have tried this beer.

2.02/5  rDev -40.4%

Not much to look at. Kind of a murky dark fold color. Head recedes very quickly. Floaty crap on top of the liquid...graham crackers?

Weird lime aroma.

Peppers?? This weird taste, hard to describe. For whatever reason I get a lot of lime and peppers in this. Not desirable.

Over carbonated, medium mouthfeel.

Worth a try? No. Don't know what Shorts was going for but I'm sure its not this. Thanks TATURBO, I think.

2.73/5  rDev -19.5%

12oz Bottle - received in a trade with pushkinwow

Appearance - Copper colour with a large size fizzy off-white coloured head. There is a high amount of carbonation and there is some faint lacing. The head lasted for only 2 minutes before it was gone. There is also some little white chunks floating around.

Smell - Lime, vinegar, graham cracker, malts

Taste & Mouth - There is an average amount of carbonation and I can taste lime, vinegar, and a rustiness. There are also notes of graham cracker and a bit of funk. It ends with a tart lime aftertaste.

Overall - Can't say I've ever had a beer quite like this. It's got a very interesting appearance and an even more interesting taste. Kudos to Shorts for pushing the envelope, but this isn't the type of beer for me. Still worth a try just to see what is possible in the world of brewing.

3.8/5  rDev +12.1%

This appears a tan-straw color. There’s a light aroma of freshly squeezed limes and lime zest. The key lime really comes through when tasted—but not such much key lime pie as (in my mind, at least) tiny, tart, fragrant limes picked at their peak from the Florida keys. (Or the citrus growing region of Florida in general.) It’s a beer that’s more tart than bitter—mouth-puckeringly tart— and an interesting brew. I could easily pair this with a tequila, but I don’t see myself drinking this on its own.

3.47/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Apricot look with about an inch of head that goes away relatively quick - mild lacing.

S: Smells like Key lime - hints of lime and graham cracker.

T: As expected, tastes much like a key lime pie in a medium beer.

M: Medium body with some carbonation

O: Certainly another interesting brew from Shorts. One of those beers with a unique taste that is great in limited quantity however I don't expect anyone to pick up a six pack and drink them all while watching a game, etc.

3.84/5  rDev +13.3%

A: Pours a amber orange color with a massive overflowing head into my Captain Lawrence tulip. Appears to have some type of sediment floating on the top which I realize later is lard / butter from the graham cracker crust. I was slightly worried about this at first but then realized it was part of the design of the beer.

S: Sweet funky sour with graham cracker aroma, a heavy dosing of puckering key limes and a healthy bit of malt around.

T: Wow, this is a great beer for what the goal was. It actually tastes just like key lime pie and a pretty good one at that. Cool and refreshing. I recommend drinking this at the temperature that you enjoy eating your pie. In my case, I like eating it really cold so directly out of the fridge this was great.

M: This was definitely overcarbonated, and light in mouthfeel. I had to bump the score down here, although it has probably been in the bottle for a month or so I would guess to reach this carbonation. In any sense, a light body which I had expected, but a tingling carbonation on my tongue.

O: This beat my expectations and came out just how I had thought it should taste. I would probably eliminate the congealed fat but it really does taste like key lime pie. Bravo on another brave attempt at making an interesting beer.

3.79/5  rDev +11.8%

A - Pours a golden amber color. Slightly hazy. Off white head that quickly disappeared.

S - Sweet and tart. I can smell the graham cracker crust and the key lime for sure. Very odd nose. Almost seems like an infection, but when you really think about it, there should be a touch of sourness.

T - Like nothing ever before. Sour, tart lime taste up front. Gives way to a malty sweetness. The aftertaste is the finished product, like key lime pie.

M - Medium body, with nice tight carbonation. Coats the tongue well, almost syrupy.

O - Wow, what a unique experience. This beer is sweet and sour, funky and comforting all at the same time. It really just is not like any other beer I've had before. That being said, I honestly don't see myself being able to drink more than one in a sitting.

3.4/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12oz bottle
Served in a perfect pint glass

A - It pours a hazy orange with amber highlights. Each pour yields a beige head with large bubbles that have about eight seconds of staying power.

S - It smells like a sweet mess. I think I can discern some lime and some marshmallow.

T - As far as taste goes, I can kind of get the key lime pie. It is very sweet without a traditional beer taste.

M - Medium without a lot of carbonation.

O - I had this on tap once and was unimpressed. This serving was slightly better. It is overtly sweet and is more of a novelty than an every day beer.

2.59/5  rDev -23.6%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass. The second of the crazy Short's beers I received from my MI hookup, Marc.

Appearance - I feared another overflow after having had the Strawberry Short's Cake yesterday. This one frothed quickly and violently, but never made it over the edge because the bubbles just vanished. What remained was a dark orange, murky beer with chunks of... I don't know what. I literally spooned off 4 or 5 large pieces of something gross. This is why these beers scare me.

Smell - I don't get a lot of lime out of the nose. I get peanuts again, inexplicably, and some sweetness that could be from the marshmallows (exactly what the hell are marshmallows doing in beer, anyway?).

Taste - Wow, the taste delivers the lime. The lime builds throughout the drink, culminating in a tart lime juice finish. Maybe I'm spoiled down here in Florida by delicious Key Lime Pie, but I think this misses the mark. It tastes like Rose's Sweetened Lime Juice more than key limes. The front end of the flavor is a mixture of slight sweetness and breadiness (graham crackers?).

Mouthfeel - Decently carbonated, despite its appearance. The flavors themselves detract from the drink, but the mouthfeel is ok. Drinkable, if it didn't taste this bad, I suppose.

Overall - I really don't like this. Innovative, sure, but definitely missing the mark.

3.75/5  rDev +10.6%

After busting open the first bottle at a tasting & enjoying it - I think - here's the second survivor, being split with my wife. Thanks to my Short's supplier, splax23, for this among other fine bottles.

Pour is eyebrow-raising, as expected. It should be green, but it's not. It's orangish, with floaties. Graham crackers? Marshmallow? Fingernails? Who knows that these guys might throw in a beer. Chunks cling tenaciously to the side of the glass, like Super Glue Loogies. Smell? Look up "indescribable" at dictionary.com & you might come close. Sharp, acidic lime dominates, bare citrus. 96% lime.

Key Lime Pie breaks the freak barrier, then laps it. This deserves an A+ just for doing precisely what the brewer intended - it tastes just like Key Lime Pie. Freakin' bizarre. The sharp lime tops everything again, along with sweetish graham crackers. Hoppy, citrusy thrust in the middle. Bollocks of chutzpah. The aftertaste is extremely acidic, tart, biting. Every so slightly flat; could use a dose of bubbles. It leaves one dry & wanting, well, real pie. Despite the spot-on imitation, six ounces of this creation is going to be plenty, thank you.

Odd is the only way to describe this, & courageous and/or insane are the proper words to describe why one would brew this. It's a good beer, way, way the hell out on a limb.

3.21/5  rDev -5.3%

Poured from a 12 oz. capped bottle (No Date) into a snifter glass.

A moderate pour yields a 2-finger tan-colored head of large, soapy bubbles that energetically fizzle away in a matter of seconds, leaving very little dusting and no foam ring. The body is an opaque orange brown (not slime green as I had hoped) with a good amount of fast-rising carbonation bubbles and some small foreign particles (graham cracker floaties?) settling at the bottom of the glass. Almost no lacing can be seen throughout consumption.

Lemon and lime are at the forefront of the nose with burnt, bready malt in the background. Not very complex but strong and pleasant.

Citrusy and tart at first sip, this beer starts out tasting like alcoholic 7up. As the beer is held in the mouth, oily lemon begins stinging the tongue. As it is swallowed, the lemon lime flavors spread throughout the entire mouth as a graham cracker flavor becomes more noticeable. A lingering aftertaste of lemon lime sticks around between sips, much akin to 7up with some added acidity.

Light to medium bodied with explosive carbonation, this beer is like drinking soda. The body is smooth yet slightly sticky, allowing the flavors to really come out without being excessive. The carbonation fizzes away on your tongue, possibly hiding some of the flavor.

3.18/5  rDev -6.2%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - Pours a hazy burnt orange with a thin white head that quickly dissipates. Not much in the way of lacing, but I did notice small little particles floating near the surface...graham cracker pieces?

S - Very bright, lemon/lime and not much else. Kind of reminds me of the household cleaner, Pledge.

T - Very, very tart up front. They really nailed the lime flavor. I'm having a hard time picking up the toasted / sweet notes that would represent the graham cracker and marshmallow. This one has a slight metallic taste on the finish. I nursed this one for awhile and it actually got better as it warmed. The harsh tartness wasn't as pronounced and I started to pickup more of the sweet malt. I enjoyed this a little more as I got to the bottom of the glass.

M - medium-light body with light carbonation. Dry finish.

O - Not too bad for a novelty beer. I can see where they were trying to go with this. It's worth a try for yourself if you're curious. I applaud Short's for their creativity and experimentation.

Short's Key Lime Pie from Short's Brewing Company