Short's Key Lime Pie - Short's Brewing Company

Short's Key Lime PieShort's Key Lime Pie

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.75% ABV

(Beer added by: jrallen34 on 02-21-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
TheKingofWichita

3.93/5  rDev +14.2%

Sampled at Sexual Chocolate 2011.
Pours a very cloudy medium amber color with a somewhat thin off white head and a ton of lacing. Smells of key lime and pretty musty. Tastes of key lime pie just like at a decent restaurant. With a little crust and everything. Some light malts. Mouthfeel is medium and carbonation is light. Drinkability is okay.

02-02-2011 01:44:15 | More by TheKingofWichita
Kkottonmouthkngz

3.28/5  rDev -4.7%

A:fairly cloudy amber, ultra thin offwhite head. decent color but not a whole lot else going on.
S: definitely the strong point, actually has some distinct key lime aspects going on. fairy strong key lime odor, with the creamy pie filling. this is the one category that remained the same from the first time i tried this beer. it really makes me think of sticking my
nose is a slice o pie. its got a certain mustiness that im not sure is a good or bad thing, but im ok with it nonetheless.
T: a heavier version of key lime pie. the flavors really sit on your tongue. it lets up quite a bit from the smell. key lime, the crust actually does come through even if just a little bit, a little rough around the edges.
M: halfway into it, it turns into a viscous, but watery feeling, if that makes any sense. its lacking in much carbonation, which i feel may have lifted some of the current mouthfeel im getting now, if it had been increased. its left feeling kind of sticky, and unattractive.
D: not much to speak of. i remember the first time i had this, i split it with 2 other people, and rather enjoyed it. this time Around, its tough to make it all the way through.

01-31-2011 02:28:59 | More by Kkottonmouthkngz
msubulldog25

Oregon

2.9/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

A 12 oz. bottle, continuously refrigerated since a mid-fall send by hoppymeal/Derek. Poured to a pint glass. An all white cap, with what appears to be a dancing pair of legs and a hop bone hula hoop...

'Beer brewed with marshmallow and lactose with lime and graham crackers added'. Uh, yeah, seriously... that's on the label.

A: Foggy and amber, no carbonation to speak of. Tame head, a 1/2-finger, or thereabouts, of off-white dense suds. Dwindles to a gauzy veil, sticks as lace in thin jagged dabs, then virtually gone.

S: Curious aroma: definitely lots of lime/citrus nose-twitching funk with a foundation of sweet caramel malt. I'm no key lime pie aficionado, but I think this is kinda close to what it smells like. Strong enough, that's for sure.

T: I don't know that I really like the taste much (setting aside the fact that 'key lime' is one of my LEAST favorite pie types), but it's plenty fruity and dessert-like. Lots of sweet-tart lime and an underlying caramel, even cocoa powder, sweetness. Don't know that I get much of either the marshmallows or graham crackers; the 3.5 I'm giving is solely for strength of flavor and for balance... But otherwise, this is pretty gross.

M: My caveat here is that this beer has been held for 3-4 months (continuously refrigerated, mind you), but it's dullness may be due to age. Drab carbonation and thin feel, a 'fruit juice additive' consistency that adds sweetness and tartness, but no buoyancy at all.

D: OK, now's when I can let 'er rip; I hate this beer, never want to have it again. I nursed 6 ounces or so, then drain-poured the rest. If you like the pie, you *might* like this beer. If you like 'novelty' beers (and often I do) you *might* like this beer. As for me, never again. Shorts, you make some wonderful beers, sometimes experimental and crazy, but this one crossed the line. Why am I giving better than a '1'? Made it through half the bottle.

01-28-2011 07:37:43 | More by msubulldog25
stakem

look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Big thanks to cmurren25 for the chance to try this brew again and throw down a review for it. It has been awhile since I last had this and well, either my memory is off or at this stage of the game, this is almost a completely different beast from what I remember.

Poured into a shaped pint glass, this brew appears a hazed orange amber color that is just slightly more orange and lighter in color than cidar. 2 fingers worth of yellowish stained head form up and slowly recedes leaving a legwork of lace across the glassware. A swirl hardly agitates more than a few large bubbles from suspension.

The aroma of this brew is quite awkward. It is strikingly similar to...well something like sauerkraut. It is faintly reminiscent of lime but you really got to work your imagination to get there with the nose. It is both sweet and sour smelling all at the same time. As it warms, it picks up a bit of a toasted quality and more sweetness but hanging around constantly is the indication of something sour.

The taste is well, interesting. It does actually taste like liquid key lime with a bit of a sharpness to it that is lightly acidic. More sips reveal a sweetness that is a pleasant addition to the lime flavoring but it really contrasts the seemingly sour aspect of this brew. There is a toasted quality to the finish that lingers in the mouth. It is not quite marshmallow and not quite gram crackers (as advertised on the label) but it certainly is a toasted quality that is much different form the typical toasted grain flavor. At times this brew is a little rough to handle, it has a bit of a mineral taste to it that comes off medicinal.

This is medium bodied with a moderate to light amount of carbonation. A very strange brew that is certainly worth giving a try but I find myself struggling to finish a full 12 ounces. A very wild and wacky idea here and it hits in some aspects and is way off in others. You gotta try it for yourself to understand.

01-28-2011 03:47:55 | More by stakem
ztaylor1

Alabama

2.58/5  rDev -25%

Appearance- amber body with a smallish off-white head that dies fairly quickly to a small film

Smell- strong caramel malts. Toasty and sweet. Hops are small and ddiscrete.

Taste- caramelized malts are strong, with a pungent, bitter "limeness" that's intensely overpowering..

Mouthfeel- medium body with a light carbonation. Nothing special but it gets the job done.

Drinkability- the overpowering lime taste ruins this beer...

01-22-2011 08:45:40 | More by ztaylor1
ottovon

Arizona

3.13/5  rDev -9%

whiterascal opened this with me.

A: pours out a coppery-amber color. the head faded, and left no lacing.

S: i get some key lime and graham cracker. there is also a bit of tart sourness in the nose. some bready-ness as well.

T: it does sort of taste like key lime pie. i get a lot of graham cracker in the finish. it is sort of tart up front. some caramel malt in there as well.

M: it has a nice smooth body.

D: this is a beer i wouldnt turn away, but at the same time i wouldnt buy it.

01-19-2011 03:03:21 | More by ottovon
crashdavisinoh

2.55/5  rDev -25.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

A-Hazy copperish orange...

S-Just as the bottle says...Key Lime (thought not pie)

T-Key lime...again...not key lime pie...did not pick up any graham cracker character...the citrusy lime flavor was present...dominant I mean

M-medium to high carbonation...not very smooth...

D-very low...I did not finish the bottle I poured...maybe half. The beer tastes and smells like limes...no more...no less. I would LOVE to love this beer. I respect short's greatly for trying different things...this is one of the beers I wanted to try as soon as I got into craft brew...it disappointed. The "pie" element was missing and the lime...standing alone...well, this was just a version of bud light lime with MUCH MUCH better beer and MUCH MUCH better ingredients for extra flavorings.

01-18-2011 05:10:42 | More by crashdavisinoh
illidurit

2.88/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle shared at the December Santa Cruz tasting. Hazy copper color with a tan head. Aroma is malty and limey with some medicinal qualities. Flavor has plenty of lime with a milky body and some meringue sweetness but it unfortunately is marred by dimethyl sulfide coming through as straight-up green beans. Pretty weird beer. Not digging it too much.

01-17-2011 09:42:09 | More by illidurit
readbaron

2.75/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

pours a hazy golden orange with a tiny bit of white head that doesn't last. It completely dissipates and the beer looks flat.

Smells like lime and beer with a hint of lactose, and maybe even some graham crackers. I can definitely see the resemblance to key lime pie, but it doesn't smell appetizing. When given a quick sniff it smells like bad vinegar.

Taste is predominately sour - not an acetic sour. There's a lot underneath, but it's hard to distinguish. Definitely some funk - maybe a hint of sweetness at the end.

Mouthfeel is good - medium body, decent carbonation, dry finish.

If I liked the flavor more, this would be more drinkable. It's definitely novel, and worth seeking out once, but one bottle was enough for me.

01-12-2011 03:36:03 | More by readbaron
billab914

2.85/5  rDev -17.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Bruery tulip. It poured a murky orange amber color with a very thin white dusting for a head.

The aroma is actually pretty light for all the flavors going on in in the taste. It has a sweetness to it with a bit of the lime citrus showing through. I get a bit of a tart, fruity flavor to it as well. I think I get a bit of the graham cracker, but I definitely wouldn't pick it out if I didn't know it was there.

Strangely enough it actually does taste a lot like a key lime pie. Throughout the flavor I get the lime citrus and the sweet & sugary marshmallow. The graham cracker shows through right up front and then it really makes a comeback lingering after the finish. I get a bit of bitterness to it at times though that doesn't seem to fit that well. It feels like a beer that just needs to be extremely sweet, and for the most part it is. I think they hit their target flavor pretty well, however it really just isn't that great of a flavor for beer.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with carbonation being above average. Drinkability isn't good, it really did taste like key lime pie but that flavor for me just wasn't good in liquid beer form. It was tough to get through half the bottle that I poured for myself. Cool concept, but just not a very good beer overall. really like the creative side to this one though.

01-10-2011 01:14:52 | More by billab914
nerdrocker101

Georgia

3.83/5  rDev +11.3%

I've had the pleasure of trying this both in bottle and on tap. Both were solid.

Murky, golden orange with half a finger of dirty white head that quickly becomes just a ring. No lacing around the glass.

There are muted hints of tart lime and copious amounts of graham cracker on the nose.

A quick bite of lime up front, but further sipping reveals some notes of marshmallow and graham cracker. A little bit of funk perhaps.

Medium body, plenty of carbonation. Bit of a dry finish.

This beer definitely drinks like a key lime pie with a bit a burnt pie crust.

01-08-2011 14:45:47 | More by nerdrocker101
Florida9

2.98/5  rDev -13.4%

A: Hazy copper amber in color. Barely forms a fizzy bit of white head that dissipates before the bottle hits the counter. Absolutely no retention or lacing. Looks flat.

S: Pungent smell of lime juice and vinegar though this subsides and as the beer warms and the aroma of graham cracker starts to become much more prevalent.

T: Okay, I definitely pick up the lime flavor. More of a lime rind flavor than lime juice. Pungent, with a pithy bitterness on the tongue that fades to a more gentle lime flavor with a somewhat milky sweetness. Unfortunately, these flavors do not seem to integrate very well and I'm not feeling "Key Lime Pie."

M: Medium bodied with lower carbonation. Vibrant acidity.

D: An interesting beer I was I was glad to try - once. I must admit, I was expecting something more "Key Lime Pie" flavored. I've heard so much about these experimental brews from Short's that I was expecting something much more "un-beer-like," but this beer tastes like beer. Like a beer brewed with lime zest. (didn't Budweiser already do that?) The graham cracker is almost non-existent and there is only a hint of marshmallow. I was thankful it wasn't overly sweet. An odd curiosity for sure, but also unimpressive.

01-08-2011 02:55:35 | More by Florida9
AwYeh

2.42/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle poured into pint glass, received via trade with arvjnuk. Thanks Ankur!

A: Pours a cloudy golden amber, with one finger of off white head.

S: Smell is almost overwhelming composed of a strange, funky lime sourness. A bit of saltiness stands out, as does a bready aroma, presumably from the graham crackers.

T: Once again, lime sourness prevails (I notice other reviews noting they can't tell if this sourness is intended or the beer is infected; I had the same thought at first). Tasting almost like vinegar, the strong sour makes it hard to pick out other flavors, though I do get a bit of marshmallow sweetness on the finish.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation, nothing wrong here.

D: A bit hard to drink; the overpronounced odd lime flavor is too dominant and there isn't much to come back to by the end of the glass. Definitely couldn't have two bottles back to back.

While I wasn't a huge fan of this, it was very unique and I'm glad I got to taste it. If you have the chance to pick up a single, it's worth a try.

01-07-2011 18:09:06 | More by AwYeh
goast8127

3.33/5  rDev -3.2%

Reviewed 10/21

I had heard many good things about this beer, and although I'm not a fan of real Key Lime Pie, I felt it necessary to give it a try. The pour is a translucent medium brown color, with a thin, slightly creamy foam. You definitely get a nutty aroma right away. With a creamy, graham cracker taste up front, the beer finishes a little warm, with a slight, lasting lime taste at the end.

01-07-2011 17:19:28 | More by goast8127
nrbw23

1.68/5  rDev -51.2%

A- Pours a very cloudy orangeish color, with a thin white head. Head is gone in a flash and leaves no lacing.

S- Is some what tart. Quite a bit of a bready smell and a bit of a fake lime smell. Very odd smelling beer.

T- Taste is more of the same. A very odd lime twist, a stale cracker and a bit of a cream flavour.

M- Medium in body and pretty low in carbonation.

D- Wow this one was bad. I tried to drink this but only could through about a third of it when I called it quits.

01-05-2011 09:15:47 | More by nrbw23
thagr81us

South Carolina

3.63/5  rDev +5.5%

Big thanks to Spica66 for multiple bottles of these guys! Served from bottle into a Stone nonic. Poured yellow-orange with a one finger off-white head that subsided to a minimal amount. Maintained excellent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, lime, and slight graham cracker. The flavor was of sweet malt, lime, tart, slight graham cracker, and funk. It had a light feel on the palate with mild carbonation. Overall this was a decent brew. Glad I got to try it, but it was not what I was expecting/hoping for. Had a decent aroma and flavor, but neither were awe-inspiring. The funk on the followthrough was just a bit odd and kind of turned me off from this brew some. With that said, it is a must try at least to judge for yourself.

01-03-2011 20:37:01 | More by thagr81us
GradyS1

3.83/5  rDev +11.3%

I was able to acquire a few of these over christmas, I had the first one about a week ago and now back for round 2.

A-The appearance is a golden yellow, almost light orange hazy color to it. Very small head that disappears quickly.
S- right off the bat I smell lime, there is deffinatley a sent of lactose and cream. It has a mix of a sweet smellling start with a sour finish. This one is interesting, I can smell key lime pie here.
T- You can deffinatley taste the lime and marshmellow cream flavor, starts off strong with the lime, then the cream, vanilla hints move in. I can not pick up on the Grahm Cracker aspect. Overall the malts are very smooth and help to balance this out.
M-Medium bodied, sweet and creamy finish with a light carbonation. Starts of tart and finishes sweet.

Overall, I enjoy this beer. When I first cracked #1, I was thrown off and was not sure if I would like it. It comes off as a sweet and sour mess mainly because I dont think i have had a beer like this befor. It really grew on me. The time the second one was done I was thinking about how to get some more.

12-31-2010 19:02:29 | More by GradyS1
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

2.48/5  rDev -27.9%

Bottle received from Thorpe429. Thanks Mike!

The appearance of the beer is still and orange, with a small head that leaves no lacing. The aroma is very odd. Unlike Strawberry Short's Cake (which I thought was great), this beer seemingly has no relevance or connection to key lime pie. The flavor has subtle hints of lime juice, but for the most part, the flavor is just weird and off-putting. The body is thin, with very low carbonation. I appreciate pushing the limits of brewing and creativity, but ultimately this beer is not drinkable or enjoyable.

12-30-2010 22:07:57 | More by Huhzubendah
alleykatking

Indiana

4.3/5  rDev +25%

Poured from 12oz bottle. A nice surprise that my guitarist picked up....thanks a million for this one Vince!

A- Pours a orange color with some light amber highlights. One finger white head shows pour retention and lacing falls back down into the beer itself.

S- I get the lime right off the bat. A little on the artifical side with a nice strong hint of the lactose they use. There in the background is the signature "Short's malt base" which only comes through in hints. The marshmallow comes through with a grahmcracker like aroma in the backend. Nothing is off putting like others have said. Maybe I got a good non-infected bottle?

T- Once again a creamy like lime comes through in the front although not as strong as in the aroma. The lactose gives it a light sour kick too it. Or maybe that might be the infection everyone was talking about? Either way it gives a nice dimension to the taste. The base malt comes in the for a second in the middle before getting covered up by the marshmallow. Light grahmcracker hint toward the back with another splash of sourness and the distinct "Short's malt base".

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation was good for the style. Elements of Key Lime pie are left the palate with the same in the aftertaste with a hint of alcohol. The flavors for what they were were balanced nicely I thought. Light alcohol drying on the palate. Only off flavor might have been the sour notes but it actually went well with the overall feel of the beer. Creamy in the mouth at times as well from the lactose.

D- I thought this beer delivered to what it said it was going to. If you don't like Key Lime don't try this beer. My bottle might have had light infections to it but it still worked out well in its favor. I wish I could get my hands on this bottle again to try it out. I personally thought this beer was lovely and like the fact that Short's is doing its own thing and doing it nicely.

12-11-2010 15:04:31 | More by alleykatking
drabmuh

Maryland

2.65/5  rDev -23%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Gift from Thorpe..thanks.

I deserve a medal I drank 12 ounces of this thing. Proving once and for all that I have no palate.

Beer is amber and clear with minimal head and no lacing.

The aroma is grainy with MILD lime.

I can taste the lime...in the aftertaste...other than that this is a fucking TRAIN wreck of a beer. Its light in body and hard to pound. It's not drinkable, I've had this on draft and it was quite good, but the bottled version is a disaster. what happen?

12-09-2010 05:24:36 | More by drabmuh
TMoney2591

3.28/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a tumbler.

Thanks to dug for this bottle!

I've never really had key lime pie before, so hopefully the beer version is kind to me. It pours a cloudy tawn' topped by a short-lived bit o' dirty white foam that doesn't quite rise to half a finger. The nose comprises graham crackers, toasted marshmallow, sour lime, caramel, and a sort of light brett character. Judging from the nose, I'd say the label does not advertise falsely. The taste is very similar, though the bretty bit is toned down significantly, there's decidedly more graham cracker, and the lime comes across a little fake. Moreover, everything kinda comes in and out cacophonously, like a scene out of a Boccioni painting. The body is a medium light, with a moderate carbonation and a somewhat dry finish. Overall, this was definitely an interesting beer. Though I don't think it turned out quite as well as I'd hoped, I like the inventiveness.

12-06-2010 06:44:28 | More by TMoney2591
PittBeerGirl

2.75/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Thankd Jim for the opportunity to try this brew!

A- Body is a completely transparent orangish amber hue- No head and only a thin collar.

S- Faint lime is detectable, but this brew has a lot of marshmallow sweetness and a hint of pale malt.

T- Marshmallow and lime are there-but this really doesnt taste like key lime pie. It has a very large essence of BMC that comes through. So imagine miller lite with an addition of marshmallow and lime. After letting the brew linger on the palate for while the grahm cracker and essence of key lime pie come through much more. A hint of grahm cracker lingers

M- Low to medium carbonation and medium weight body.

D- Sure this is a fun novelty beer. I just have a really hard time getting the key lime pie here.

12-06-2010 03:15:55 | More by PittBeerGirl
flexabull

3.13/5  rDev -9%

Bottle courtesy of mikesgroove, thanks again!

Pours a bright orange color with a small white head.

Smells infected. Sour, vinegar like, with some lime mixed in. Boy... Not sure if I like the smell, kind of do, and kind of don't.

Taste is not as sour as the nose suggests. Light citrus, lime, and hints of cider vinegar. Finish is full and smooth with creamy sweetness.

Mouthfeel is good, very smooth and full.

Drinkability is ok. It's not a bad beer, and the infection didn't really ruin it. However, I don't get much in the way of "key lime" flavors.

12-05-2010 21:33:58 | More by flexabull
Vdubb86

2.9/5  rDev -15.7%

Served in a tumbler glass

Thanks to TMoney2591 for letting me sample this so that I'd not have to get some of my own

Ok, so I'm gonna start this one off by saying that I have no idea what to expect from this beer up front, but it does scare me. The look is a hazy brown with little to no head on it. The smell is kinda of biscuit like and slightly sweet on the nose and reminds much of graham crackers. The taste is not pleasant. I get what they are trying to go for. There is the sweet malty sugar flavor, the citrus from the lime, and the biscuity/graham cracker crust. The problem is that it doesn't hit upon any of those parts well at all. I enjoy the fact that they tried, but this seems like one hell of a failure. It's ok in the mouth but it does carry over some acrid notes. The drinkability is average at best, some people can taste it and love it. Some can't and don't enjoy it. I belong in the camp of the latter.

12-05-2010 06:28:58 | More by Vdubb86
AleWatcher

3.53/5  rDev +2.6%

Got this from JamnesCameron for being his UPS guy... This was part of a box box of awesome beers and delicious sounding home-brews! Thanks a lot man!

Graham crackers and limes hit the nose. A really dry malt otherwise. The beer is murky and dark orange. Very little head and a little spotty lacing. The beer seems lifeless and dull.

The nose and taste aren't bad-- although the limes come across as synthetic... The cracker/bready malt is nice and dry-- good sweetness on the back end. Nice bite of lime.

Body is medium full but seems to be undercarbonated... It feels oily and syrupy... It isn't awful, but not a beer I'll be getting again.

This is a genuine "novelty beer." Shorts gets a lot of love-- but I'll be honest, everything I've had from them has been lackluster (humalumalicius was good, but pandemonium and the magician were awful!)

12-05-2010 01:34:12 | More by AleWatcher