Short's Key Lime Pie - Short's Brewing Company

Short's Key Lime PieShort's Key Lime Pie

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.75% ABV

(Beer added by: jrallen34 on 02-21-2010)

ithinkimasofa, Nov 15, 2011

MarcatGSB, Nov 15, 2011
2.58/5  rDev -24.8%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass. The second of the crazy Short's beers I received from my MI hookup, Marc.

Appearance - I feared another overflow after having had the Strawberry Short's Cake yesterday. This one frothed quickly and violently, but never made it over the edge because the bubbles just vanished. What remained was a dark orange, murky beer with chunks of... I don't know what. I literally spooned off 4 or 5 large pieces of something gross. This is why these beers scare me.

Smell - I don't get a lot of lime out of the nose. I get peanuts again, inexplicably, and some sweetness that could be from the marshmallows (exactly what the hell are marshmallows doing in beer, anyway?).

Taste - Wow, the taste delivers the lime. The lime builds throughout the drink, culminating in a tart lime juice finish. Maybe I'm spoiled down here in Florida by delicious Key Lime Pie, but I think this misses the mark. It tastes like Rose's Sweetened Lime Juice more than key limes. The front end of the flavor is a mixture of slight sweetness and breadiness (graham crackers?).

Mouthfeel - Decently carbonated, despite its appearance. The flavors themselves detract from the drink, but the mouthfeel is ok. Drinkable, if it didn't taste this bad, I suppose.

Overall - I really don't like this. Innovative, sure, but definitely missing the mark.

Alieniloquium, Nov 15, 2011

jlb502, Nov 15, 2011

thebouch01, Nov 15, 2011

Hokenfloken, Nov 15, 2011

Adamostella, Nov 14, 2011

dnh2, Nov 14, 2011

dksl16, Nov 14, 2011
3.75/5  rDev +9.3%

After busting open the first bottle at a tasting & enjoying it - I think - here's the second survivor, being split with my wife. Thanks to my Short's supplier, splax23, for this among other fine bottles.

Pour is eyebrow-raising, as expected. It should be green, but it's not. It's orangish, with floaties. Graham crackers? Marshmallow? Fingernails? Who knows that these guys might throw in a beer. Chunks cling tenaciously to the side of the glass, like Super Glue Loogies. Smell? Look up "indescribable" at dictionary.com & you might come close. Sharp, acidic lime dominates, bare citrus. 96% lime.

Key Lime Pie breaks the freak barrier, then laps it. This deserves an A+ just for doing precisely what the brewer intended - it tastes just like Key Lime Pie. Freakin' bizarre. The sharp lime tops everything again, along with sweetish graham crackers. Hoppy, citrusy thrust in the middle. Bollocks of chutzpah. The aftertaste is extremely acidic, tart, biting. Every so slightly flat; could use a dose of bubbles. It leaves one dry & wanting, well, real pie. Despite the spot-on imitation, six ounces of this creation is going to be plenty, thank you.

Odd is the only way to describe this, & courageous and/or insane are the proper words to describe why one would brew this. It's a good beer, way, way the hell out on a limb.

maximum12, Nov 13, 2011
3.18/5  rDev -7.3%

Poured from a 12 oz. capped bottle (No Date) into a snifter glass.

A moderate pour yields a 2-finger tan-colored head of large, soapy bubbles that energetically fizzle away in a matter of seconds, leaving very little dusting and no foam ring. The body is an opaque orange brown (not slime green as I had hoped) with a good amount of fast-rising carbonation bubbles and some small foreign particles (graham cracker floaties?) settling at the bottom of the glass. Almost no lacing can be seen throughout consumption.

Lemon and lime are at the forefront of the nose with burnt, bready malt in the background. Not very complex but strong and pleasant.

Citrusy and tart at first sip, this beer starts out tasting like alcoholic 7up. As the beer is held in the mouth, oily lemon begins stinging the tongue. As it is swallowed, the lemon lime flavors spread throughout the entire mouth as a graham cracker flavor becomes more noticeable. A lingering aftertaste of lemon lime sticks around between sips, much akin to 7up with some added acidity.

Light to medium bodied with explosive carbonation, this beer is like drinking soda. The body is smooth yet slightly sticky, allowing the flavors to really come out without being excessive. The carbonation fizzes away on your tongue, possibly hiding some of the flavor.

output01x, Nov 10, 2011
3.15/5  rDev -8.2%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - Pours a hazy burnt orange with a thin white head that quickly dissipates. Not much in the way of lacing, but I did notice small little particles floating near the surface...graham cracker pieces?

S - Very bright, lemon/lime and not much else. Kind of reminds me of the household cleaner, Pledge.

T - Very, very tart up front. They really nailed the lime flavor. I'm having a hard time picking up the toasted / sweet notes that would represent the graham cracker and marshmallow. This one has a slight metallic taste on the finish. I nursed this one for awhile and it actually got better as it warmed. The harsh tartness wasn't as pronounced and I started to pickup more of the sweet malt. I enjoyed this a little more as I got to the bottom of the glass.

M - medium-light body with light carbonation. Dry finish.

O - Not too bad for a novelty beer. I can see where they were trying to go with this. It's worth a try for yourself if you're curious. I applaud Short's for their creativity and experimentation.

Jefe73, Oct 19, 2011
2.2/5  rDev -35.9%

This is a novelty brew. Does it taste like lime? Sure. Does it taste like keylime pie? No. I don't know if that would make it any better. My sense of smell was somewhat diminished due to allergies during tasting but two of my lady friends confirmed a strong scent of white vinegar, it was off putting.

I didn't mind the taste. It wasn't a drain pour but it isn't something I'll want to drink again. I've heard good things about Shorts and I was sad I couldn't stop in the last time I was in northern michigan on a golf trip but this beer didn't rep them well (although I didn't expect it to).

robboyd, Oct 16, 2011
2.58/5  rDev -24.8%

I was excited to see this extra,Thanks Steve! Poured into a Duvel tulip at about 50 degrees.

A. Body is a hazy copper to brown color, A one finger off-white head appears and recedes to a nice cap. Not much lacing to speak of.

S. I definately get a tart smell of lime at first. Then comes the graham cracker,bread crust anf some lemony hops.

T. To be honest it tastes just like a grahm cracker with a slice of lime on it.

M. Nice medium feel kind of creamy. Carbonation is good. Leaves a tart aftertaste.

Overall I can tell that this is a well made beer it's just not for me at all. I will however give Short's props for experimenting. It was an expeience for sure.

Marty30, Oct 15, 2011
2.4/5  rDev -30%

Pours a copper chestnut shade with no head or lacing.

The smell was a step up from the appearance. There's a sharp sweetness to it that smells of lime and perhaps even a bit minty. The cloying sweetness is a little off-putting for me.

The taste again, is overly sweet. They did indeed create a key lime pie flavor, and they did it quite well, but the sweetness of this is too much. I really don't know how to describe it well. It's key lime pie in a beer. Cloyingly sweet though, even for KLP.

The body is medium to thin. Carbonation is just right. The finish is moderately dry and slightly sticky.

Overall, this beer achieves what it sets out for. I'm wondering what kind of brew Shorts couldn't pull off. As far as drinkability goes, it's far too sweet for me to finish. If it's more bearable after warming up, I may complete it, but otherwise It'll likely be a drain-pour.

BBP, Oct 12, 2011
3.43/5  rDev 0%

Poured into a sniffer, thanks to jl28r1 for sharing this one.

Appearance: Pours a hazy orange with a thin white head and decent head retention.

Aroma: I was expecting key lime pie, I was not expecting it to smell like salsa. I swear that I what I could smell and I was not alone at the table with that impression.

Taste: The taste definitely has a feel of key lime pie. You can taste subtle gram cracker with a burst of citrus and some lactose.

Mouthfeel: Medium body and medium carbonation.

Overall: It wasn't bad, but it was weird. There is no way I could finish an entire bottle myself, great beer for a bottle share. I can't say it was a bad beer, considering what it is trying to be, but I can definitely say that I would not buy another if given the chance.

jamescain, Oct 07, 2011
2.8/5  rDev -18.4%

A: actually a nice, somewhat hazy golden color with decent retention...

S: Bright and lemony-lime right away...I mean, as soon as the cap came off, which stuck to it as it was poured...

T: Lemon - lime type of house hold cleaner type of flavor...some small floaties -- maybe marshmellows, like the kind that was in the hot chocolate packet when you were a kid...but didn't taste marshmellowy..

M: medium bodied, lots of carbonation..decent

O: Interesting experiment. Nothing I could drink drastic amounts of but glad I tried.

vande, Oct 01, 2011
3.15/5  rDev -8.2%

12 oz bottle into pint glass. 2011 bottling.

A: Pours a murky orange hue, with a thing white head, that dissipates very quick into a nonexistent presence. Floating pieces of marshmallow show it's present in the visual. Medium levels of carbonation.

S: Aroma is light in intensity, with a good level of spicy, lime like gram cracker. Hops seem to be at low levels showing other characters.

TM: Juicy on the the mouthfeel, with a spicy zing of lime. Very sweet on the finish. Malt show fullness in the body, but very beady and fades into a nice level of lime. Carbonation is at good levels and if full, but not dominating.

O: For the ingredients used, this does blend well and overall turn out drinkable and good. I did get the "what's in your beard? - Check- oh thats marshmallow from the key lime pie.."

GDBEERMAN, Sep 30, 2011
2.1/5  rDev -38.8%

September 25, 2011.

Pours a watered-down bronze. It's hazy and has tiny chunks of something resembling bread crumbs that cling to the side of the glass.

Light lactose, sweet lime, and buttery, bready maltiness.

Hmm. When I first smelled and tasted this, I thought: "This can't be right." But I think I was mistaken - it's odd, but it does seem like what a key lime pie masquerading as a beer might seem like. Sweet, bready malts [graham cracker?]; somewhat metallicized lime; sweet and milky lactose. It's hard to get more than the muddled lime and sweet maltiness out of it. I like key lime pie well enough, but this is just a bit off. The lactose and sugary sweetness combine with an almost indiscernible tartness, which gives off an aura of spoiled milk. Just a weird beer.

Medium, with medium-low carbonation. As mentioned, there are junks of something in it.

Adventurous, but not a very good beer. Had no real desire to finish this.

Verecund, Sep 26, 2011
3.13/5  rDev -8.7%

08/09/11
Pours a cloudy brown with a bubbly soda like carbonation head that dissipates immediately leaving some sediment to float at the top. Nose is sweet caramel, graham cracker, sugary. Taste is strange, dominated by sweet graham cracker mostly, marshmallow appears briefly with only a hint of lime. Lager like yeast is apparent at the end and a bitter/sour note before it all ends abruptly with almost no aftertaste.
Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied.
Overall, a very strange take on a beer. Not something I really enjoyed drinking or could stand too much off. Recommended as a single bottle for a try.

heebes, Sep 24, 2011
3.35/5  rDev -2.3%

From notes

A - cloudy amber body, a head that comes and goes very quickly.

S - light citrus, vanilla/marshmallow notes, some graham cracker

T - sweet cracker and marshmallow, and very mild lime

M - flat, light, dull

O - not terrible. An interesting experiment, not quite successful

ColdPoncho, Sep 21, 2011
2.83/5  rDev -17.5%

A- weird hazy yellow with ni head what so ever. Got s little bit of flosting Graham cracker in my beer

S- little bit of Graham cracker. Little bit of lime, but not very appeasing

T-little bit of lime and grahm but not as much as ii would have liked and it turns out to be not a good beer

M- medium body and ok

O-so disappointing wow

brew3crew, Sep 15, 2011
3.38/5  rDev -1.5%

big thanks to erikkoppin for this one ! looking forward to it.

poured cold from the bottle a murky copper to a sun king shaped pint with a 1/2 finger, super short lasting beige head that fades to an endless supply of bubbles from the bottom of the glass.

aroma, as advertised, of lime and not much else.

hmmm, not sure what to make of this - like a lime aid I'm thinking. "A" for effort, easily the most unique beer I've sampled.

big to medium bodied, big carbonation, bubbly, sweet and sour.

overall - wow, original - good ? I'm not sure.

robwestcott, Sep 14, 2011
2.78/5  rDev -19%

The Short's guys are known to be big Ween fans, so the question needs to be asked: How much ether to you need to huff before you come up with the idea of Key Lime Pie beer? This beer is way too scary sounding to assume the risk of a six-pack, so the opportunity to split a bottle at a tasting party was much appreciated.

It is a weird-looking beer, looks like your standard ale after you've crumbled graham crackers into it. Somehow it looks like your finger would dissolve if you dipped it in.

Lime and graham are present and accounted for in terms of aroma. Can't pick up the marshmallow, but I don't know what marshmallow smells like 'ceptin' if it's on fire. Smell is pretty good. Un-beery though, vaguely Zima-esque.

The taste is a bizarre mishmash of tart, sweet, and creamy.

Finishes dry, reasonably carbonated and much less harsh on the mouth than I expected.

Final verdict, well, they get 10 points for originality. It is definitely a unique beer that you should try if you get a chance. I don't think I'll have one again, but it does pique my curiousity about Short's other brews from the Land of Misfit Beers.

lurpy1, Sep 12, 2011
2.55/5  rDev -25.7%

A: Previous a very murky orange with three fingers of very effervescent, khaki head that quickly recedes into a few fizzy bubbles with no lacing.

S: Lots of lemon/lime citrus with some light graham aromas. Not much going on--smells like a Sprite.

T: Lots of lemon/lime flavors . . . sour and tart. There are some graham cracker flavors towards the finish with some slight chocolaty notes.

M: Medium-light body with light, spritzy carbonation. This beer feels like a soda.

O: I can't call this a good beer, but it's very unique. It doesn't quite taste like a true key lime pie, but it's definitely got some lime and graham flavors going on. Definitely worth a try just to experience, but one bottle is enough.

n2185, Sep 10, 2011