Short's Key Lime Pie - Short's Brewing Company

Short's Key Lime PieShort's Key Lime Pie

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.75% ABV

(Beer added by: jrallen34 on 02-21-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Vdubb86

2.9/5  rDev -15.7%

Served in a tumbler glass

Thanks to TMoney2591 for letting me sample this so that I'd not have to get some of my own

Ok, so I'm gonna start this one off by saying that I have no idea what to expect from this beer up front, but it does scare me. The look is a hazy brown with little to no head on it. The smell is kinda of biscuit like and slightly sweet on the nose and reminds much of graham crackers. The taste is not pleasant. I get what they are trying to go for. There is the sweet malty sugar flavor, the citrus from the lime, and the biscuity/graham cracker crust. The problem is that it doesn't hit upon any of those parts well at all. I enjoy the fact that they tried, but this seems like one hell of a failure. It's ok in the mouth but it does carry over some acrid notes. The drinkability is average at best, some people can taste it and love it. Some can't and don't enjoy it. I belong in the camp of the latter.

12-05-2010 06:28:58 | More by Vdubb86
AleWatcher

3.53/5  rDev +2.6%

Got this from JamnesCameron for being his UPS guy... This was part of a box box of awesome beers and delicious sounding home-brews! Thanks a lot man!

Graham crackers and limes hit the nose. A really dry malt otherwise. The beer is murky and dark orange. Very little head and a little spotty lacing. The beer seems lifeless and dull.

The nose and taste aren't bad-- although the limes come across as synthetic... The cracker/bready malt is nice and dry-- good sweetness on the back end. Nice bite of lime.

Body is medium full but seems to be undercarbonated... It feels oily and syrupy... It isn't awful, but not a beer I'll be getting again.

This is a genuine "novelty beer." Shorts gets a lot of love-- but I'll be honest, everything I've had from them has been lackluster (humalumalicius was good, but pandemonium and the magician were awful!)

12-05-2010 01:34:12 | More by AleWatcher
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

1.63/5  rDev -52.6%

Acquired from tburkhart, courtesy of the Under 100 IV BIF so a big "Thank You" goes out to him. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep amber color, with a very thin off-white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains caramelized malts and an odd aroma that I can only assume comes from the combination of marshmallow, graham crackers, lactose and lime that are all listed on the label.

T: The taste starts out with sweet flavors of caramel and lime that are quickly followed by bready flavors from a hearty malt character and the added graham crackers. The lactose and marshmallow are faintly in the background. It's a unique concept but the flavors do not seem to mesh well at all. The hops presence is very faint, but I have a feeling that any more would make this beer taste even worse. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Not very smooth and a little crisp, medium body, light-to-medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Flavorful but not tasty at all, does not go down easily, not too filling, mild kick, original representation of style, not a beer that I would recommend.

12-04-2010 23:32:03 | More by TheManiacalOne
Stesus

3.05/5  rDev -11.3%

A: Pours a cloudy golden/amber with virtually no head.

S: Not to fond of the smell of this beer. I get a smell that I can only describe as sour cream, quite odd. I get no smell of hops, an I get no lime scent whatsoever. Just a sour smell.

T: Quite bitter start that becomes sweet quickly. Sweetness from the marshmallow and graham crackers carries through the finish, while the lime fades. The key lime pie flavor is there, just doesn't work all that well.

M: Medium bodied,smooth and creamy. A little bit of carbonation with a nice finish.

D: Goes down quite easy, but I would only want to have 1 of these due to the sweetness.

Overall it was a valiant effort from a great brewery trying to do something different. This beer is ok and definitely one to just give a try just because it is such a wonderful idea for a brew.

11-30-2010 06:29:00 | More by Stesus
barmut2

4.78/5  rDev +39%

I have tried KLP on tap and in the bottle. I enjoyed it on tap, I drank four of them. You get a taste of key lime, the crust and some whipped cream. Crazy in a good way. Smell is good you think its going to be really sweet but is balanced nicely. Try one or four!

11-24-2010 20:37:23 | More by barmut2
anotherpg

2.23/5  rDev -35.2%

This was a strange experiment: a super sweet and sour beer. It was like drinking the beer equivalent of a sour patch kid - not a beer I'd have more than one of. Good color, a sweet odor, and given the strange sweet tart flavor not entirely drinkable. This is a one to bring out to impress and wow your beer buddies with it's oddity.

11-22-2010 01:12:05 | More by anotherpg
glid02

Georgia

3.68/5  rDev +7%

Bottle shared by Lee - thanks!

Pours a hazy copper color with a half-finger white head. The head recedes into a thin layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of moderately sweet crackers - half graham and half oyster. Also present are good amounts of indistinct and grainy light malts and slight amounts of artificially sweetened lime notes.

Tastes similar to how it smells, though not as well-integrated. Somewhat dry pale malt flavors kick things off and are joined almost immediately by sweet cracker flavors. Medium citrus flavors leaning toward lime but also with hints of grapefruit join in shortly thereafter before sweetening up midway through the sip, somewhat artificially. The citrus flavors fade out, allowing the cracker and malt flavors to carry through to a mildly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with smooth carbonation.

Drinkability is OK. I finished my glass without a problem and could have another.

Overall this was a very interesting beer that tried harder to emulate it's namesake than maybe it should have. The cracker flavors were the most off-putting and I think a more lime-forward beer would have been tastier. Still, despite the somewhat low score this beer is worth a shot to see for yourself.

11-21-2010 22:36:44 | More by glid02
bierenutz

3.95/5  rDev +14.8%

A-Pours a slightly murky amber brown color with almost no head and minimal lacing on the glass.
S-Citrusy lime aroma giving it a bit of a sour character with bready malts, graham cracker and hints of of cream.
T-Sour lime flavors up front followed by graham cracker and bready malts. As the beer warms a little there are creamy notes at the finish as well to fill out a good representation of the name for this beer.
M-Mild feel, but not thin and lightly carbonated.
D-This is another of Short's fruit/spiced beers that I like more as I drink more of them. It's different and it's good.

11-20-2010 01:03:00 | More by bierenutz
Overlord

3.55/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I expected bright green gold: kind of an amber-ish brown color.

Smells faintly of lime, much more strongly of ... egads, what is that? Crackers mixed with crazy creme zest? Bizarre.

Taste was interesting. I must say, this is one of the more intriguing beer drinking experiences of my life. Weird pungent, spicey, lime tinged cracker/cake batter overload with a ayidyaiyiayiyiyaiya what is that? Crazily strong flavored.

I must say, I wish I had more of this, just to try to pin it down. Nicely carbonated. Enjoyed it far more than the score would indicate.

11-18-2010 09:54:09 | More by Overlord
BearsOnAcid

1.23/5  rDev -64.2%

Dark gold color, sort of ugly looking with it's murky body and lack of head. Like a cup of pond water. Smells sweet with very faint lime and cracker. Weird nasty lime and sugar taste and a honeydew finish. more like old rotten honeydew. This beer is just flat out disgusting and cloyingly sweet. The combination of flavors are strange and don't work at all. I wonder if there is some sort of translation lost when going from tap to bottle because I've heard people that have only had the tap version say it tastes exactly like key lime pie, which I love. This is like key lime pie if I left it out on the counter in the sun for 3 months. Doesn't seem like this is infected but with such strange ingredients I wonder if I'd even be able to tell if it were.

11-17-2010 19:12:18 | More by BearsOnAcid
tetonka4kzoo

3.7/5  rDev +7.6%

Has a cloudy copper-orange color.

The nose has a noticeable lime aroma. It also smells bready from the malt.

Tastes well seasoned with cinnamon, honey, and nutmeg. The spices and malt rally give it a graham cracker taste. I taste a swirl of creaminess mixed with the sour lime. Shorts did well making its taste resemble key lime pie.

This ale has a creamy feel. Very interesting brew, not a session beer!

11-14-2010 14:34:23 | More by tetonka4kzoo
LaLaCat

Maryland

2.42/5  rDev -29.7%

12 oz bottle, excited to try this one, thank you WeisGuy!

Nice cloudy amber pour. Aroma of sweet limes & sour milk. Perhaps the brewers were aiming for a tart creamy lime? Unfortunately, the tart and sweet are muddled and indistinct, yielding a strange and unappealing reversal of the ingredients' chief virtues. Taste is almost identical to the nose.

The uniquely delicious aftertaste redeems this beer somewhat. A distinct, lingering graham cracker crust - unusual, and most welcome, among novelty dessert beers. One could easily imagine this same crisp, bakery-fresh aftertaste in combination with other sweet-tooth faves, with very appealing results! I look forward to trying more Short's. Tart & lactic was not the greatest combo, IMO.

11-11-2010 18:04:27 | More by LaLaCat
DefenCorps

Oregon

2.15/5  rDev -37.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Thanks Devin. I needed this.

Light amber with a dense, white head that recedes to a disk, this is solid. The nose, OTOH, is disgusting. If I'm charitable, like John was, I'd describe it as sauerkraut and seaweed, but to me, it felt like someone took a dump on my face. Offensive, sweet and nasty. Thankfully, the palate is significantly better. No real lime or cream flavors, this is a little sweet and the lactose really sticks out. The finish is flabby, the body, medium and the carbonation, light. Awful.

11-07-2010 22:46:40 | More by DefenCorps
John_M

Oregon

3.13/5  rDev -9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Many thanks to Devin for sharing this beer the other day.

The beer pours a tannish amber color with good head retention and lacing. This beer doesn't really look like anything out of the ordinairy, but then I smelled and tasted it... good lord.

On the nose I get an incredible aroma of saurkraut, sour funk, and tart lemon/lime. I'm not sure if this was what the brewer was going for, but to say it ain't working for me is an understatement. On the palate, this beer actually isn't half bad. Much to my surprise, there is some underlying sweetness, which is something this beer really needs. However, the orange and cherry cough drop I get tends to drown out everything else, though I get some underlying tartness that is attractive. Mouthfeel is medium bodied to light, and it finisihes fairly well with some refreshing tartness. As for drinkability, although the alcohol is pretty much unnoticeable, I just think this beer is a mess. Even the relatively small 4 ounce sample I had was more than I could handle, and ultimately I just thought this stuff was weird.

While I admire the brewer's creativity, I just think this is one experiment that didn't turn out very well.

11-07-2010 21:03:50 | More by John_M
JamnesCameron

3.9/5  rDev +13.4%

Received as a gift from fear025 (Jay).

Poured into a MJ tasting glass.

Pours a hazy copper with virtually no head. Evidence of carbonation, as many tiny bubbles float to the top and cling to the glass.

Aromas of lime zest, a faint lactic sourness, and some graham crackers.

First sip is tart and sour, with the lime zest coming through. Kinda tastes like biting down on a slice of key lime, without the mouth puckering sourness of the lime, but there is some puckering going on.

Mouthfeel is drying and tart.

Drinkability is good, but I couldn't session this beer.

11-07-2010 00:24:35 | More by JamnesCameron
revolt914

Colorado

3.25/5  rDev -5.5%

This was given to me in a trade with kzoobrew. Definitely a novelty beer through and through.

A: Looked pretty good it didn't have much head retention but it did look a nice shade or dark amber.

S: Smelled very tart and sour... I didn't catch much smell of lime but it did have a hit of the graham cracker smell to it.

T: Wasn't sure if it was just that sour or if it was infected... I don't know who I feel about it in general. I enjoyed it but at the same time didn't get that Key Lime Pie taste I was hoping for.

M: Very sour and tart in mouth feel, made me back off a little as I got about half way through.

D: It is drinkable and I could easily drink another one. I enjoyed it enough to finish it but I was disappointed cause I was really looking forward to trying this. Over all though definitely worth a try and I'd like to get one fresh off the counter.

10-31-2010 11:15:01 | More by revolt914
yourefragile

District of Columbia

3.45/5  rDev +0.3%

12 oz bottle shared by 321Jeff. Thanks, jerk.

Pours a translucent glowing amber color with a quickly dissipating off white head that quickly fades to nothing. Aroma is a tangy, sweet vegetable pungency with some hints of cream and lime. Odd, mildly off putting and yet strangely alluring. It's hard to judge these experimental Shorts beers as they are remarkably unique, push the barriers of what a beer can be and often nail the mark of what they set out to be. Unfortunately this isn't always a good thing once you have the final product. This beer starts off with a sweet fruity limeade like punch before the backend comes up more lactic and creamy. The finish is dry earthy before becoming dominated by graham crackers. All of the pieces are there for a key lime pie though they don't exactly come together cohesively. This more of a hit than a miss, but is still a little too rough and out there to be very drinkable as more than a novelty.

10-30-2010 00:18:54 | More by yourefragile
SamuelJackson45

3.7/5  rDev +7.6%

A- light blonde look with medium head.

S- Smell of lime and hint graham crackers.

T- Taste of lime and sweet creme and graham crackers.

M- semi- dry and flavors lingering through out sip.

D- Pretty good beer.Dont really get the key lime taste but it's just me I guess. worth another drink.

Cheers...

10-29-2010 22:24:42 | More by SamuelJackson45
BeerFMAndy

Wisconsin

2.9/5  rDev -15.7%

12 oz bottle poured into a Sierra Nevada imperial pint. "Beer brewed with marshmallow and lactose with lime and graham crackers added." No date or info.

Thanks to both sweemzander and Thorpe429 for a bottle of this!

A - This pours a hazed-over golden amber color with a low off-white head. Low retention but good lace is left clinging to the glass.

S - The aroma reminds me of the sour-infected nose of plenty of other Short's brews I've experienced, although not as prominent yet. Green apple skin astringency, hints of graham cracker, a drop or two of lime, and no hops. This isn't very good starting.

T - Much maltier than anticipated, it's got a pretty strong caramel sweetness with a touch of graham cracker to it. The lime appears on the finish with a mild zest as does that infection hint. The flavor seems similar to a ramped-up Corona with a lime.

M - Medium-bodied and sweet initially with a bit of hardness and moderate carbonation to it, it finishes with a little sourness. It seems to be partially from an infection as well as the lime. A bit astringent.

D - I always admire what Short's goes for with their beers whether they hit the mark or not. This is a miss but it's not awful.

10-26-2010 12:31:14 | More by BeerFMAndy
SpdKilz

3.8/5  rDev +10.5%

A huge thanks to both kzoobrew and erikkoppin for this great beer (both sent me this beer). Cheers!

Appearance - Pours into my Bell's Tulip with a hazy amber color. About a finger of quickly dissipating white head is achieved that leaves spotty lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell - Definite lime, bready notes (like graham cracker), and honestly marshmallow. That's about it.

Taste - An initial tartness from the lime shows through. This fades to what others have described, and I agree with, kind of a "cooked veggies" sort of flavor which I don't really think Short's was probably going for in this beer. This almost becomes unnoticeable the more the beer warms up and the more I drink it. At the tail end there is a nice sweetness that takes the edge off, and a graham cracker taste.

Mouthfeel - Moderate to light Mouthfeel, crisp carbonation. Feels perfect for this beer.

Drinkability - The more I drink this beer, the better I feel it becomes. I do feel that you couldn't just have a sip or two of this and judge it based upon that. Now that I am able to sit and relax outside enjoying a full 12oz of this it comes around. I will admit it is not my favorite offering from Short's, however, it is unique just like every other beer they make. Glad I was able to try this!

10-23-2010 00:08:22 | More by SpdKilz
nkersten

3.45/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours a dark golden tan with little to no head. Swirling creates some white bubbles with no lacing. Smell is almost a bit sour - limes, some malt, no hops. Taste follows smell, mostly lime, a bit of graham cracker, light malts. Medium body with light carbonation. This is a one time beer, not terribly drinkable, but interesting.

10-21-2010 20:16:56 | More by nkersten
JohnGalt1

Idaho

3.88/5  rDev +12.8%

12oz from my SURPRISE box from Kbeals... This is the 2nd time I've enjoyed this one. Kevin also sent us a growler... but I am pretty stoked to review this one fresh off the tip of my tongue and not paper notes...

Sharing it with the wife... poured into my Old Guardian Goblet... thin white head.. pretty nice lacing though.. The brew is hazed orange amber...

Nose shows plenty of lime and "I guess graham crackers".. a bit toasty.

Flavor is lite lime puckery with some lime zest to drive hope the big player... a bit of minor perceived sweetness mid palate I think could be milk sugars.. finish has the toasty malt/graham cracker essence I was hoping for. Medium bodied with a lite/medium carbonation.

Honestly, this bottle shows the same as my notes from the growler... I am picking up on all the different "key lime pie" components, but they don't come in the same order, and that makes it a bit of a conundrum, but a good thoughtful one. I really actually like it.. but not enough to really want one of these more than every couple of months.

I am impressed as always with the pains Shorts goes through to reach the "unique bar" and this is no exception. Thanks a ton Kevin.

3.5/3.5/4/4/4

10-20-2010 04:23:32 | More by JohnGalt1
king75

3.88/5  rDev +12.8%

A- Amber in color, very little head retention, descent lacing

S-is of lime, sugar, and maybe just a hint of grand cracker

T- This is really, really different. Starts off with a strong bitter lime bite, but quickly turns to a sweet flavor of brown sugar and grand cracker. This one ends up crisp and clean, but with a slight citrus pucker feel.

M- Is light, very palatable and enjoyable.

D- A little too sweet and unique to drink more than one.

Notes: I had high expectations for this beer. Although it did not meet my expectations it did meet them. It almost taste like a red ale/american amber with lime and grand cracker thrown in. Very interesting and very unique. Glad I was able to try it.

10-19-2010 02:53:49 | More by king75
womencantsail

3.23/5  rDev -6.1%

Thanks to MustardKrautFan (RIP) for this beer. Consumed on a dark and stormy day--the perfect weather for beer that is supposed to taste like food.

A: The pour is a light amber color with almost no head. There's a bit of an opaqueness to the beer.

S: The nose is a bit confusing. On the one hand, that could be lactobacillus there, but it could also be the limes providing that tart fruitiness. There's a bit of a funkiness which leads me to believe there's some bugs. A very mild sweetness to the beer at times.

T: Lime zest really stands out on the palate as I take the first few sips. Again, a slight tinge of lactobacillus, but it could just be the funky nature of this Short's beer. A mild graham cracker sweetness and hints of sugar to go along with the tartness.

M: The body is medium but the carbonation is on the low side.

D: Hmmm, I'm still scratching my head on this one. There were some things I liked about it, but things I didn't. A bit like limeade, truth be told, with a bit more sweetness.

10-18-2010 21:54:08 | More by womencantsail
wagenvolks

3.75/5  rDev +9%

12oz bottle into a Delirium tremens tulip. Thanks to sdawson for the hook-up!

Short's Key Lime pours with a hazy, burnt amber body beneath a scant tannish head. Not much carbonation, but the color is attractive. Aroma instantly suggests toasted marshmallow--the kind where the campfire gets it just right & lightly browned all over. Lime juice, vanilla, and a strange vegetal off-note (could be the influence of graham crackers?) in the background.

Again, there's a hard-to-place off flavor that's reminiscent of cooked veggies in each sip. It's not too distracting, though, and the tartness from the lime really comes through. A little pie crust and caramel sweetness, too. Key Lime really has a great mouthfeel: medium-thin in consistency, a bit oily, and with a perfect carbonation level. This is obviously a very unique beer--Short's seems keen to become the "Willy Wonka" of the brewing world (and it works for them more often than not). Their Key Lime Pie drinks wonderfully...and strangely...but it keeps me wanting another sip. An odd concoction, and an even stranger attraction.

10-18-2010 16:21:40 | More by wagenvolks