1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Short's Key Lime Pie - Short's Brewing Company

Short's Key Lime PieShort's Key Lime Pie

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.75% ABV

(Beer added by: jrallen34 on 02-21-2010)
3.5/5  rDev +1.7%

Appearance: The liquid looks just like apricot nectar and it doesn't take long for the inch or so of head to fritter away, leaving just a few strands behind

Smell: The key lime pie ingredients are all there, key lime cream filling and graham cracker crust; not that it all smells that great on a beer, however

Taste: Tastes just as it smells, with tart key lime flavors mingling with the graham cracker and lactose elements; after the swallow, the tartness moves into a sour direction

Mouthfeel: Medium body with prickly carbonation

Overall: Glad I tried this novelty but I am unlikely to seek it out again; kudos to the brewer for dreaming up this recipe

Thanks, FlandersNed, for the opportunity

3.23/5  rDev -6.1%

Thanks to kzoobrew for sending me this one!

Pours a murky orange with a huge 3 inch extremely bubbly head that boils down to random spots of film. Random tiny bubbles of lace dot the glass on the drink down. The look of this beer is pretty dirty. Smell is of malt, peanuts, and sharp citrus aromas (but not really lime per se). The peanut aroma reminds me of the Uber Goober and PB&J beers. The taste is interesting with malt and subdued peanut flavors. The citrus is more apparent on the aftertaste where it lingers on the back of the tongue. This is also when a slight graham cracker taste settles in. The citrus creates a slightly sour and acidic mouthfeel with a pretty good level of carbonation. Overall, this is an odd beer that sounds like it would be great but comes out being just OK really. I am glad I got to try it but I wouldn't trade for this one again.

3.45/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a couple bottles of Short's Key Lime Pie a couple weeks ago for $2.09 a piece at The Lager Mill. This is one of the main experimental beers from Short's that I have been wanting to try and since I missed out on it last year I figured I better get them while I can so I got the last three bottles that The Lager Mill had. As usual with Short's there is no visible bottling date, but it's fresh. Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into a snifter.

A- The label on this beer isn't the greatest, but I don't mind it, it's pretty unusual. It poured a hazy orange/amber color and with a pretty aggressive poor I managed to get two fingers worth of a strange colored head that was one of the fastest fading heads I have ever seen, in two seconds it had all disappeared to just a couple small patches, this beer doesn't look that great.

S- The first thing I pick up in the aroma is lots of moderately sweet biscuit malts that gives this beer a pretty dominating biscuit like smell that is very similar to the way that Strawberry Short's Cake smelled. There is a graham cracker like aroma that is quickly followed by a somewhat light does of Key Limes. After that I pick up some nice sweet creamy aromas from the lactose. I couldn't pick up any hops, this beer has a very unique aroma.

T- The taste is pretty sweet, but I expected that, it's also pretty similar to the aroma. The first thing I pick up is loads of sweet biscuit malts that along with something else I just can't put my finger on that gives this beer a graham cracker like taste. After the graham cracker comes the key limes, they stick out a little more then they did in the aroma, but a stronger key lime presence might help this beer taste closer to what a key lime pie tastes like. Next I get a little more biscuit malts then there is a nice creamy dose of milk sugar that gives this beer a flavor that is a cross between a marshmallow and whipped cream. The finish is pretty sweet and a mix between lactose and biscuit malts. A unique taste to go with a unique aroma.

M- Creamy, medium bodied and the carbonation was pretty fizzy that almost gave this a soda pop like mouthfeel that I feel like would only really work with beers like this.

Overall I thought this was a slightly above average beer. Admittedly I am not a fan of Key Lime pie, but I will eat it and I know what it tastes like and it seems like this beer was going in the right direction but the over abundance of biscuit malts gave this more of a biscuit in the Strawberry Short's Cake kind of flavor instead of being more like an actual key lime pie crust. I also thought the key lime presence could have been bumped up a little, but the lactose was a very nice addition and it was right where it should be. The sweetness makes this beer not too drinkable for me, So I treat this as a dessert beer and would only want one of these for a nice after dinner treat, but nothing more. What I liked most about this beer was the mouthfeel, an odd beer like this needs an odd mouthfeel to go with it and the fizzyness of the carbonation made for just that. What I liked least about this beer was the appearance it looked more like a type of soda pop more then it looked like a beer and the lack of any type of head retention made for a dare I say ugly beer. If I had to chose between this or a Strawberry Short's cake, I would take the Short's cake, its close tasting to the actual dessert. This beer is so unique that I think it should be tried once but rather you think it's genius or a fail is up to you. If I can't get my hands on this next year I won't be too disappointed, but I think I would still buy a bottle and I would love to try it on tap. While not the most impressive beer from Short's, you have to respect them for going out on a limb and taking a well known dessert and making it into a similar tasting dessert beer, it takes balls to put your name on a beer like this and toss it on the shelfs, but Short's is never afraid to take a chances and neither am I, that's why I will always take a chance on these crazy Short's brews.

3.85/5  rDev +11.9%

Received yet another Short's beer from Scoot1969. Thanks again Scott!

A- Well, this shit doen't look to good. Burnt orange and extra cloudy. Real dirty looking. A giant head that when it recedes it looks like a ballon that suddenly deflates.

S- Typical Short's smell. Weird funky smell, somewhat sweet.

T- I have to admit, I was expecting something nasty, but this is refreshingly different. Kind of funky, I would guess they use the uber goober style base or something similar. I LIKE this beer's flavor.

M- Average at best. Seem right for the style. I would prefer it slightly thicker.

Surprisingly, I liked it.

3.7/5  rDev +7.6%

Pours a strangely-colored head. Color is dark cloudy amber. Also, a couple big particles coming up to the surface, hopefully a good thing? Smell is buttery sweet. First sip is quite interesting, almost like a crust in the mouthfeel and the flavor of the beer. This really is kind of like having a Ben and Jerry's pint in beer form. A little tart, although I expect it could be a little more. Still, I think this is another example of Shorts going onto the cutting edge on par with their Strawberry Shorts Cake. Sweet, Fruity, nice.

3.18/5  rDev -7.6%

Pours out an orange hue with no retention or lacing and lots of carbonation. The nose consists of citrus, graham crackers, lots of yeast and sweetness. The taste starts out with citrus followed by some sweet tasting stuff and finishes off with some graham cracker and pie crust. The mouthfeel has the consistency thanks to the high carbonation and feel of a sweet wine while giving it the smoothness of a cream stout making it very easy to drink. Overall this beer is not bad for a beer that most breweries would not try making, but it really doesn't do much for me and won't be going out of my way for this one.

2.48/5  rDev -27.9%

Poured from bottle to Sam Adam's glass on 8/22/2011.

A - Burnt orange hue, almost no head, and carbonation bubbles on the glass that would expect to see in a glass of pop.

S - I was expecting to get more citrus from this beer. Instead just the smell of graham and sweetness.

T - Mostly graham and marshamallow. I honestly could not taste any lime at all, and would be hard pressed to guess this was key lime pie. Still scratching my head on this one.

M - effervescent. not unpleasant, but a little more fizz than i like to see in my beer.

O - I love Shorts beers. Their Huma and Brown are among my favorite daily drinkers, and i would imagine what the company relies on to pay the bills. This beer undoubtedly falls into the 'experimental' category, something Shorts is known far and wide for. While it wasn't something i would drink again, I'm glad i had the opportunity to try it and welcome a brewery that is willing to think this far outside of the box.

2.2/5  rDev -36%

2011 Poured into a pint glass

Hazy Orange body. Large head fades immediately; more like bubbles from a soda or something. Poured it with intent to leave the yeast in the bottle but still ended up with some disgusting floating blobs. There is a layer atop the beer that seems oily

Aroma is sickly sweet and smells mostly like a super sweet pie crust

Taste starts with a little citrus then tons of sweetness, mostly crust. Only would guess Key Lime Pie because of its name

As my girlfriend said, "I need to go back in time to before I tried that"

2011 12 oz bottle

Poured into a glass with almost no head and a few floaties, I am not quite sure what they were but did not seem intimidating.

Smells pretty mild and creamy. It really has a subtle scent of key lime pie and graham crackers and yeast.

Tastes very limey at first then you get that creamy aftertaste. The lactose really comes through here and you can taste some molasses. Definitely better than I remember it tasting.

Feels very creamy and goes down incredibly smooth. I can't complain, it is very refreshing and drinkable.

Overall this is a mighty drinkable late summer/fall beer. I can't have too much of it but I am rather impressed. Better than the short's cake I will say that much.

4.18/5  rDev +21.5%

A- Poured into a pint, dark straw with haze and minimal head, receded leaving an oily sheen and what appears to be pie crumbs.

S- Caramel malt, graham cracker and marshmallow predominate with hints of sweet lime.

T- Tastes like key lime pie! Sweet lime with minimal citrusy tartness are noticed first, followed by marshmallow with lasting graham flavor.

M- Medium in body with minimal carbonation and a smooth, silky mouthfeel.

I was expecting bold, imbalanced flavors when initially considering this 'experimental' brew, but I was pleasantly surprised. The flavors are all well balanced in a delicious and unique brew. Any hop character in this beer escaped me. Great beer that doesn't taste like a beer.

My second time having this beer, the first time had definitely begun to sour slightly, tasaty, but totally different from this experience. The color is a hazy straw, whispy quick head. Aromas of graham cracker and lime pie, definitely nailed the nose on this one. Flavor is as expected, although it leaves with a tangy bicuit malt flavor that I'm not crazy about, similar to the Shortscake. They did a great job of pinpointing flavors of the namesake, but I still wish it was bigger. Maybe an Imperial Key Lime Pie?

3.33/5  rDev -3.2%

I got this beer from arvjunk. Thanks Ankur!

12oz bottle served in a standard pint glass.

L - hazy copper color with a off-white head that thinned out to a ring.

S - smells like limes and graham cracker crust.

T - taste like liquid key lime pie, I guess they hit the mark on this one, just not my style.

F - medium bodied with mild carbonation.

O - not a big fan but I'm glad I got to try it.

4.33/5  rDev +25.9%

Had this on tap @ Pyramid Scheme in Grand Rapids. The bartender offered my wife and I a sample pour.

I was ... amazed. It tastes like a very mild beer with key lime pie - exactly as you'd expect. All of the tastes of a key lime pie are there - the lime filling, the cream topping, and the crust.

Definitely not a beer to drink when you want a beer, but if you want something different - this is a good drink!

3.75/5  rDev +9%

Appearance:

Tonight I will be using one of my trusty workhorse glasses for this funky ale, my bubbled pint glass that once had the Dogfish Head logo on it but from using it so much and putting it through the dishwasher it rubbed off. But none the less it is still a great glass and ready to be filled up at a moments notice. As I pried the cap off the bottle I was greeted by a slightly less than average hiss from the carbonation gases and came and left quickly. On the pour, I decided to tilt the glass pretty hard to ensure I don’t have a foam over and when I was done I was left with a light coffee froth colored head with a half finger thick head that dissipated quite quickly. When I hold my glass up to the light I can get a deep hazy rust color that resembles a very light Irish Red beer, with some orange hues around the edges. When I give a glass a slight swirl there seems to be a very light presence of viscosity and hardly no legs to mention of.

Smell:

On the front end I am surprised to smell a large amount of malt and burnt caramel. Although there is a very prominent aroma of lime and other citrus fruits available there is just a tinge of a brett that I am hoping doesn’t mean its infected. Brown sugar all throughout the middle and some of the gram cracker is poking through with more sweetness and maybe cinnamon? There is absolutely no hops to mention of here and I am not surprised since I expected this to be a dessert in a bottle.

Taste:

I am thoroughly pleased with the taste on this, and I know it sounds so cliche to say but it honestly does taste like a liquid key lime pie. Loads of fresh sliced limes and toasted buttery malts are the front and center stage here. I really do not get any of the marshmallow as described on the bottle but I imagine there is lactose or another form of sugar in this to make the body feel heavier and taste sweeter. When you take the initial swallow on this one it really catches you off guard and makes your mouth pucker a little bit and I am liking that. As in the nose, a touch of cinnamon and other spices are floating around to dub down the citrus sweetness. In the finish I am pulling out more caramel and toffee like flavors which remind me of a dessert drizzle that they put on some cheesecakes and pies.

Drinkability:

I think this was an awesome beer to review and I am really glad that I had the opportunity to give it a shot. Sweet and tart just like the pie and a fine summer time beer. I love the novelty of the strange and unique flavors that Shorts put out but I always feel the same way after I drink a bottle. “One is enough for me.” I think that this would be a great beer to have around and to have one every once and awhile but this is not one of those beers that you will sit down and have four of in one evening. At least I don’t think that I could. But none the less a fantastic beer and in my opionion spot on to the flavor and another piece of art from Shorts. If you can trade or find this I would say give it a shot becuase not too many breweries out there make unique beers like these guys.

been wondering about this beer for a while. the first time i ever heard of short's a co-worker was talking about this specific beer and how much he enjoyed it, so nice to get to finally try it. BIG thanks to Florida9 who tossed this my way when I hand delivered a box for a BIF to him. much appreciated (and unnecessary).

a - opened and poured into my capt lawrence taster tulip. beer poured a dark opaque orange amber with a very thin bubbly head (almost champagne like). i'm not gonna lie, i was hoping that this would be green, but none-the-less pretty ok looking beer...to style for a vedgie beer.

s - i can smell the sourness from the table. upon closer inspection, very fruity and tart. key lime for sure. nice candied sweetness, borderliine too sweet.

t - at first very tart...almost wine-cooler like. pretty sweet, then goes into a bit of a sour and then finishes pretty thick and heavy. quite unique, quite key lime.

m - has the typical shorts fullness, but the carbonation is very champagne-like and helps round out the feel.

o - overall, my experience with short's has been very up and down. i really loved some of the beers and others were a bit too science project like and not fully baked ideas. i give them credit for pushing the envelope and still getting a drinkable (and at times delicious) product. this was a good one. like many other short's beers, you have to realize what you are getting into when you drink a beer called "key lime pie" and with short's track record that typically means a beer that actually tastes somewhat like the namesake. for making a beer that resembles key lime pie, i gotta say that they did a pretty good job.

2.95/5  rDev -14.2%

Thanks to the Central PA tasting group for sending this our way.

A: appears a slightly hazy orange, somewhat lifeless looking, no lacing

S: notes of citric acid hit big on the front with a touch of lactic acid. Lime is definitely discernible on the nose. Not picking up any graham cracker or marshmallow.

T: lots of lime, almost tastes like Sprite has gone slightly sour with some alcohol present. Hard to think of this brew as beer. Reminds me more of a malternative. Very sweet.

MF: thin body, low carbonation

O: I'm having some troubles with this brew. It is definitely an ambitious attempt and the result is unique to say the least...but this comes off more like a novelty beer like many of Short's other products.

3.3/5  rDev -4.1%

12oz bottle into tulip - i cant remember who sent this to me, but thanks!

Pours a murky deep brownish color with some lighted hues attempting to peek through. Small tanned head fades out with little retention or lacing.

Decent flair of lime in the nose with zest and slight tartness. Sweeter tones with burnt sugar and citrus. There's also a metallic touch which typically signals another off bottle from Short's, but this wasn't too bad.

Whoa - lots of lime right up front. Juicy and zesty with some tart undertones. Sweetness peeks through with burnt sugar and some faint notes of pie crust. I can taste what they're going for here, but it didn't quite come through as well as it has in other bottles I've sampled. There's definitely a bit too much tartness and a touch of off-flavoring. Finishes a bit tart with more lime.

Medium body, medium carbonation, lingering and a bit puckering at times on the tongue. I'm a huge fan of key lime pie and I've had better bottles, but this particular one was definitely a bit off...

3.5/5  rDev +1.7%

a: a cloudy brown. Has a slightly offensive color to it...looks a tad like diarrhea to be honest. Very fluffy head with little retention and lacing.

s: bready sweet spice in here. I get a lot of malt sweetness with a citrus lime twist in the end. The lime on the nose doesn't mix well with the malt sweet you get...though the sweetness is very pleasant.

t: crisp and sweet. I don't know that I can pinpoint marshmallow, but this is sugar sweet here. nice lime flavor shines through with a cinnamon chewy bite that mixes so well with the yeast it is just like graham cracker. This holds true the name...this is key lime pie I am drinking. good tartness on the finish to really sell this.

m: nice carb and not too thick. Coats well. wish it finished a bit dryer to assist in the flavor...but that is what you get with all this sweet in here.

o: very good fruit beer in the taste. I couldn't drink this all night. It is great if you are just looking to have 1 for the night as I can't imagine much going well with this. It truly is Key Lime Pie in the bottle, though you certainly need to be in the mood for it.

3.5/5  rDev +1.7%

A: The beer is clear orangey amber in color and has no signs of visible carbonation. It poured with a thin ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass.
S: There are aromas of malty sweetness in the nose along with some notes of lime.
T: The taste has a light to moderate amount of sweetness and notes of limes in the flavors.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied and somewhat smooth on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: The beer isn’t that difficult to drink because it’s not that sweet and the lime flavors are subdued.

3.78/5  rDev +9.9%

A-Pours a bright orange/amber, no head
S-Limes! Bright citrus, predominated by the scent of sweet limes. Very nice.
T-Similar lime sweetness up front, transitions to a milky, malt sweetness. Sweet lime flavor balanced very well with the creamy body.
M-Heavier than it looks- definitely has a chewier, syrupy quality to it. Not overpowering, but I suppose what you’d expect with a “pie” beer
O- Good beer, pretty impressed with this one. For all intents and purposes, this is key lime pie in a glass. On that note, not something I could sit a drink all night, as Im not a huge fruit beer fan, but a must-try for sweet, fruity beer lovers

3.68/5  rDev +7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Key Lime Pie is served up at Short's pub a murky brownish amber with no head at all. I was pretty surprised by the color, but then again what was I expecting; a green beer? The few bubbles that were hanging around the top of the glass looked beige in color and did not leave hardly any trace of lacing.

The aroma is sweet with a definite malted barley (cracker) sweetness. The other aromas were much less beer like with a tinge of lime and some graham cracker notes.

The flavor is pretty nuts. It definitely has a malty beer like backbone, but other than that it does, in fact, taste similar to the dessert that it is named after. Plenty of zesty lime and graham flavor are bolstered by some serious sweetness. I am tempted to say it is too sweet, but for a beer that's modeled after a pie; I think this sweetness is needed.

The body is medium with a mouthfeel that has a good amount of carbonation, but is awfully sticky. The finish is both sweet and zesty, with some graham cracker also lingering on my palate. This beer doesn't have best mouthfeel, but it is a dessert beer after all.

This is definitely not a brew that I would crush, or get a growler of. Also, it would be pretty tough to drink more than one of these beers in a sitting. However, I think Short's meant it to be a fun beer that could be treated like dessert. In that aspect, I they were successful. It is definitely worth the price of admission.

2.88/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Thanks to sweemzander for this unique beer.

A: Crystal clear amber gold hue. Close to two fingers of off white head. Solid retention, sticky lace.

S: Sweet malt with a distinct sharp lime tartness. Sugar cookie and mild hint of brown sugar and ice tea.

T: The lime is the first thing that jumps out with a mild sweet malt backbone. That's about all I can pick up. Maybe a touch of grahm cracker in the finish.

M: Medium to light body. Mild carbonation.

O: I've had this on several occasions and this one seemed to be the worst. From a growler and direct from the tap this is drinkable. In the bottle not so much.

3.5/5  rDev +1.7%

Tasting notes from 4/16/11.
Poured in to Brandy snifter.

A - Medium amber colour with a small amount of white head and some visible carbonation.

S - A lot of sweetness up front with some brown sugar coming through. Some bready malts are evident along with some lime. The lime is evident but is not dominating.

T - Sweet caramel, brown sugar and biscuit with a tartness that really cuts down the sweetness. The tartness brings through the lime flavour that, as per the nose, is evident but not overpowering. The sweetness and tartness are in a good balance overall.

M - Medium body, lightly carbonate.d

O - An interesting beer. I don't get key lime pie specifically here but I do get some of the components - the lime, the biscuit and the brown sugar. The flavours just don't come together to make key lime pie. This one was enjoyable but not one that I would be overly disappointed with never trying again.

3.68/5  rDev +7%

Thanks to jchristie for sharing...12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: A bit on the pale side, with a fair bit of off-white head. It's deceiving in terms of the appearance; it's not like a pumpkin beer, where the appearance gives it away. This one's sly.

S: Lots of graham cracker come out in the initial whiff, with only a touch of lime in the background. In this way, it almost reminds me of some of the BMC lime beers: they smell like they normally do, with just a hint of the fruit beneath them. As the beer warms a touch, the marshmellow flavor opens up a fair bit more, bringing a clearer picture to the table.

T: The marshmellow and graham cracker hit in first, as if you've decided to start with the crust and whipped cream topping of a key lime pie. Out of the blue, a big tidal wave of key lime comes crashing over, hitting hard in the jaw. There it is! It fades relatively quickly, and the graham cracker flavor is what is left behind as you contemplate your next sip.

M: Almost overly carbonated, it seems like it's trying to be a cross between beer and champagne. It's also a bit on the thin side, which I think detracts from the whipped cream/marshmellow taste. It doesn't translate in the head as well.

O: Worth trying. It's definitely experimental, and it grew on me as I kept sipping on it. A good effort.

3.23/5  rDev -6.1%

reviewed from notes:

appearance: orange brown with 2 finger head

smell: limes, sour,

taste: tart, lime, strange after taste,

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium body,

overall: interesting was hoping for a more balanced slice of pie. but would definitely give it another try if given the chance.

Cheers,