Short's Key Lime Pie - Short's Brewing Company

Short's Key Lime PieShort's Key Lime Pie

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.75% ABV

(Beer added by: jrallen34 on 02-21-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Thorpe429

3.18/5  rDev -7.6%

Thanks to my parents for picking up a sized in Michigan.

Pots a lgt orange copper color. Definitely different than what I thought, though I doubt even Short's would be making green beer. Nose brigs for a bit of sourness; doesn't seem citric though. That's about it. Quite generic. Taste brings a bit more with somewhat of a lime characteristic and some malty sweetness. Feel is a bit light with low carbonation. Drinks fairly well, although a few ounces is plenty.

10-10-2010 19:37:10 | More by Thorpe429
aasher

Indiana

3.88/5  rDev +12.8%

This one poured a murky dark copper with a one finger off white head. The smell is kind of strange. I can't really pick up too much other than what I would describe as brown sugar maltiness and some citric acid from the limes. The taste is interesting. I'd say it begins with a semi chocolate graham cracker that goes into a light key lime pie sweetness and then finished with the bitterness of lime juice. It drinks well but almost every sip is a little different. It's medium bodied and drinks pretty smoothly. Overall I'd say that this is a slightly above average beer that you've got to try, especially because of the interesting concept. It's solid but not great.

10-10-2010 00:55:22 | More by aasher
domtronzero

1.23/5  rDev -64.2%

A - Murky orange copper with a short-lived, quickly collapsing whitish head. No Lacing. Kind of ~blah~.

S - Acetic, infected, funky, dirty aroma. Dry bready malts and a weird artificial fruit smell.

F/M - Tart acetic infected with a funky/dirt flavor. Sweet bready malts. Muddled flavors otherwise. No distinguishable key lime or pie crust. Quite disappointing and just plain terrible. Medium body with very high carbonation.

D - Drain-pour for sure. Hard to drink more than a couple sips. Get it together, Shorts.

10-09-2010 08:10:48 | More by domtronzero
airohead2001

3.78/5  rDev +9.9%

Another great brew from Shorts. Thanks glazeman!

A - hazy orange with some touches of pink and light copper with a one finger off white head that fades away to nothing. No head retention and no lacing.

S - LIME, hops, and some general sourness. Insanely interesting and wonderful - what a fun beer.

T - lime and biscuit through out with some pilsner wheatiness in the finish with an awesome tangy sugar cookie aftertaste. Awesome.

M - Thin, reminds me of a regular ol' BMC brew.

D - Very sweet and tangy. This brew has a ton going on and I absolutely love it. I would stock a six pack of these at any chance that I had. However, the tanginess and sweetness makes this one a one-per-sitting type of affair.

10-08-2010 03:59:25 | More by airohead2001
Brenden

3.73/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is one I had to try again after having a very small sample in the 10/1/10 Toledo tasting. Thanks to a non-BA buddy up in MI, I was able to.

This one's sort of a hazy coppery orange in the glass. A spotty, thin white head forms with above-average retention, leaving thin spots of lacing on the glass.
Interestingly, there's not as much lime on the nose as in the flavor, and I've really got to pull to get some. It does smell like pie crust, though, and there's a nice sturdy malt backbone with what I assume is intentionally diacetyl aroma to add a buttery effect to the pie crust aroma. There's a bit of lactic sweetness as well (the marshmallow, perhaps?).
Here's where the lime kicks in, and when it does it pulls everything together. With a decent but not impressive malts presence and little hops to speak of, a hardcore beer critic might not be high on this one, but props definitely go to Short's for making this one what they intended. Lime is everything it should be: lightly acidic, tart, zesty and mildly sour, coupling with a milky, lactic, slightly sugary sweetness and a nice buttery graham-cracker crust. This is what key lime pie should taste like in a beer. It does get a bit too sweet at times, but it's accurate.
Carbonation is mild, but there's some life to this one. A medium body and moderate smoothness with a mix of sweet and sour in a mildly lingering finish make for a pretty nice mouthfeel. It could use a bit more life and gets a bit heavy.
Bravo to Short's. The temptation with many brewers would be to make a beer like this way too sweet, but that's avoided to the extreme here though it does rear its head. That and the heaviness take away a little from the drinkability, but I'll have another for sure.

10-06-2010 15:22:13 | More by Brenden
emmasdad

Colorado

3.78/5  rDev +9.9%

After trying this one at GABF, and walking away with a rather disinterested feeling about it, I figured I'd try and acquire a few bottles and give it a fair shot.

Pours into the glass a fairly dark golden color, with half an inch or so of light brown foam. On the nose, I got a little tartness, a little sweetness and a bunch of freshly squeezed lime juice. On the palate, this one actually did a pretty good job of capturing the flavors of a key lime pie; tart limes, graham crackers and a sweetart like sweetness. Not an everyday drinker for sure, but one I wouldn't mind trying again. A for effort, for sure.

10-06-2010 05:27:35 | More by emmasdad
mikesgroove

South Carolina

3.13/5  rDev -9%

so i decided last night to break out 10, thats right 10 new shorts beers for a nice sampling with the family. turns out my and my brother in law were the only ones willing to go down this road, so long afternoon for sure. serve cold and consumed on 10/02/2010.

the pour was not at all what i expected, a light brownish amber with a smooth cap of white that stuck on the top for a good few minutes before settling down with a light lacing.

aroma was odd to say the least. tones of lime, graham crackers and buttery malts, but it seemed just too much for me. the limes were by far overly dominant and it did not seem to come together for me the way i would have liked. as i take the first sip i am not overly happy here at all. very big lime juice, lightly sweet lactose and a hint of cream, but it did not pull together the way some of the others have for me. it just seemed there was too much in the lime and it distracted from the overall balance. light finish with you guessed it, way too much lime in it led to an astringent taste.

overall no way i could do this again, but others here seemed to enjoy so to each his own.

10-03-2010 14:26:17 | More by mikesgroove
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

3.53/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured into unibroue snifter.

Pours 1/4 finger of off-white head. Color is a burnt orange.

Aroma: Tons of limes here and a big amount of marshmallow. Gram-crackers are light. It is pretty much just like the label says.

Taste: Weird, it really tastes like pie. Lactose and cream flavors. Limes, marshmallows, and gram-crackers. Again, tastes just like the label describes it.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy. Lighter bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends clean with lime flavors.

Overall, another interesting beer from shorts. It is just like the name says it is which is pretty cool. Somewhat drinkable, but ever so interesting.

10-02-2010 16:43:27 | More by mothman
lavellen

3.68/5  rDev +7%

So I had this on tap at shorts and my mind exploded. Now I am having their production release of it in bottles: Not the same. The head is faint and there is good lacing. The aroma of lime is somehow sourer than before and the malty-ness that the brew had on tap is quite a bit less. In the bottle it is almost a little funky? I was spoiled so I have a comparison, but the flavor is just different, not as pie like in the malt bill, not as heady, no hops to mention, and the lime is weirdly not as lime-ish.

09-28-2010 02:00:37 | More by lavellen
largadeer

4.38/5  rDev +27.3%

Thanks to dabecassis for sharing the growler.

Moderately hazy brownish-amber with a solid white cap. Rich graham cracker pie crust aroma with a squeeze of key lime. Smells amazingly like key lime pie, dessert-like but not excessively sweet. I'm amazed at how well they captured the buttery graham cracker crust aroma. It tastes exactly as it smells: Graham cracker pie crust with tart citrusy lime. Nice malty graham cracker pie crust sweetness up front with only the slightest hint of bitterness behind it. There's also a mellow toasted malt background and ample tart lime flavor. This was a surprisingly great beer, completely unique and actually fairly drinkable, though probably not something I would reach for often.

Serving type: growler

09-28-2010 01:00:02 | More by largadeer
busternuggz

3.7/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.
Orangish-amber color with a 1" foamy, dimply off-white head. Recedes to a thin film for a while, then disappears. Leaves some spotty lacing.
I definitely smell the lime, I'll even say it smells like key lime. I get a sweet milkiness and graham crackers too. A little acidic. Pretty much smells like everything they added to it.
Leads with the lime on the palate, followed by a smooth, sweat creaminess. The graham cracker comes in subtly toward the end. Nicely balanced between the sweetness and tartness. The graham cracker and lime come back in the aftertaste. It comes pretty close to tasting like key lime pie, I must admit.
The texture of the beer is easily the best part, very smooth, soft, and creamy, leaves a nice coat on the tongue.
As for drinkability, this one beer is pretty unique and enjoyable, but I really have no desire to drink another one. This one is even a little much. It's not the kind of thing one would be in the mood for often; it's kind of a desert beer but kind of a tart fruit beer, kind of light but not.
As an experiment I'll say this is mostly a success, in that it tastes much like key lime pie. It kind of lacks as a beer though. I enjoyed the experience but I'm not in a hurry to have another one. And I say that as someone who was very much looking forward to trying it.

09-28-2010 00:25:14 | More by busternuggz
BMoney575

2.42/5  rDev -29.7%

Sampled on 9-27-10

Pours a very cloudy orange/brown color, with a super thin and filmy white head.

Smell is very sweet and bready, giving way to sugary lime aromas and lots of wheaty malt. Not balanced, and not particularly enjoyable.

Taste is just what you'd expect, a weird fruity malt, tons of cloying sweetness, and many out-of-place, vegetable flavors. Short's QC problems really show through. Almost a drain pour.

Mouthfeel is very thick, adds to the sweetness, and lacking the carbonation that would lighten things up.

Drinkability is poor, bad flavors and disappointing mouthfeel.

Overall, probably decent immediately fresh and on-top. Otherwise, don't bother.

09-27-2010 21:47:07 | More by BMoney575
GRPunk

3.53/5  rDev +2.6%

Bottle poured into a mug.

A- A moderate pour left a 1/2-finger, khaki head that quickly drops to a light foam and nearly vanishes to filmy edges. The body was a hazy, brown/amber that's almost murky looking with light carbonation. There are pretty decent, light sticky spots left on the glass.

S- There are definitely key-lime pie elements at work here. The lime comes through from the start. A marshmallow sweetness is much more present than expected. The graham cracker notes become more represented with some warmth. Overall, it's quite sweet smelling. Through all that, it doesn't lose its beer qualities either.

T- At first I picked up a lot of burnt caramel flavor that kind of turns into that graham cracker element. Citrus comes in through the middle. There are a lot of sweet flavors floating around. It's quite complex and is a little difficult to distinguish all of the components.

M- The viscosity was moderate, carbonation medium to light, and it had a dry finish.

D- I like the "out of the box" experimentation that Short's is always trying out. This one wasn't quite my style, but credit is given for one of the more stylistically agressive offerings I've had as of late. That said, it became a bit much to enjoy more than a glass in an evening. Maybe I set myself up to expect a bit too much from this one. However, my wife was a big fan. I could see giving it another shot.

09-27-2010 00:05:35 | More by GRPunk
Mora2000

3.9/5  rDev +13.4%

Thanks to RBlaszak for sending me this bottle.

The beer pours an orange color with a white head. (I was hoping the beer would be green, oh well.)

The aroma is limes with some tartness. I also get some caramel and bready malt.

The flavor is very nice (but I am not sure if I am really tasting these components, or just imagining that I am after reading the label). The first taste I get is tart limes, but I also get some honey and bready malt - aka - graham crackers. I also get some creamy notes which taste about like marshmellows. The flavor has a nice mix of sweet and sour that I am really digging. After reading the label, I think I can pick out each of the components. If I hadn't read the label, I am not sure what the result would have been.

Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

One of the best Short's beers that I have tried. I love this brewery and hopefully I will get to try some more of their beers.

09-25-2010 04:26:04 | More by Mora2000
Kegatron

4.1/5  rDev +19.2%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Thanks go to splax23 for a couple of these in trade.

Pours a hazy copper, with a ½ finger of smooth white foamy head. This peters down fairly quickly but swirling gets some richness back up on the edges and still manages to leave some a cascade of spotty froth on the sides of the glass. The aroma is a bit muddled smelling. I'm definitely getting some tart lime, with hops and sugary sweetness all jumbled up together into a deep earthy tang. I mean, I can pick up the different flavors but some more definition to the nose would have been welcomed.

Luckily the taste is much more defined and pretty darn spot on for the flavors that are supposed to be at work here. The fruity tartness of the lime. The creamy milky sweetness of the marshmallows. And even the sugary dough of the graham crackers. It is all so tangy and delicious, with the lime flavor in particular hanging on the lips after each sip. There is just enough earthy bitterness present as well, which helps cut some of the more possibly cloying aspects of the sweetness. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, maybe a touch lighter, with an even blend of prickly creaminess and easy slickness that helps keep this lively but smooth on the palate. There is just a touch of lingering warmth present as well but it doesn't distract from the flavors in the slightest.

I was initially worried about this, after hearing some early complaints about the bottles, but was very pleased with what I got out of this. This did taste like a piece of key lime pie in a glass and was pretty representative of what I tasted on draft at the Extreme Beer Fest last February. This is one Short's experiment that worked for me.

09-23-2010 15:10:49 | More by Kegatron
kbutler1

3.63/5  rDev +5.5%

Bottle. Brewed with marshmellow, lime, and graham crakers...wtf?! Only Short's woudl be so bold as to under take such a beer, I like it. Pours a dark orange color with minimal head. Lime notes big time in the nose along with some underlying graham cracker notes. So the taste is, lets just interesting. Soft sweetness covers the palate with the lime and sweet flavors taking centerstage. I want to imagine eating key lime pie as I drink this and this comes as close as any beer I've ever had. Curious as to what the base beer was for this. Not really sure how to describe or rate this beer. Medium/light mouthfeel. Glad to be abel to try but not sure I could drink a whole lot of it.

09-23-2010 12:44:55 | More by kbutler1
DaveHS

4.05/5  rDev +17.7%

Poured into a tasting snifter. Thanks to Urbancaver for this one.

A-Pours a hazy amber with no head. A thin ring of bubbles around the perimeter of the glass, no lacing.

S-Bready, sour yeast, limes, graham cracker.

T-Good, but not quite as much lime as I would have liked. I expected this to be a little bit more like a lambic. It has a mild lactic sweetness, and some nice graham cracker breadiness in the finish. I'm impressed with how they managed to pull back on the sweetness. It's a pretty subtle beer.

M-Thin to medium-bodied, with a soft finish.

D-A really interesting beer. Not something I would want all the time,

09-22-2010 03:31:26 | More by DaveHS
JordanEllwanger

4.63/5  rDev +34.6%

I was half heartedly expecting this to be green like a hi-c ecto cooler, but it is a nice dark amber tone with a slightly off white head. A thin transparent layer of sediment sits on the bottom of the bottle and pulls up with ease. Smells limey like a lime yogurt, very fruity ad sugary. An exceptional taste. Creamy and fluffy like a key lime pie followed by a pleasant backing that doesn't take away too much from the lime flavor. A really great surprise. Short"s pulls through yet again with another great brew. Very clean feeling and a great drinkablility.
Cheers!

09-21-2010 06:47:11 | More by JordanEllwanger
LiquidBread219

Indiana

3.63/5  rDev +5.5%

A= Golden amber color. Small head no lacing.

S= To me you smell a little citrus smell but it had a biscuity / doughy malt backbone.

T= To me the taste was the same as the nose but the biscuity/ doughy malt really took shape kind of kind of a sweet aftertaste though.

M= Medium body with low carbonation.

D= Not that hard of beer to drink but I'll don't want to drink many of them nice try though.

09-18-2010 20:24:49 | More by LiquidBread219
tpd975

3.7/5  rDev +7.6%

Got this one from my Kuhnhenn Mead hookup. I would give him a shout out by name but I don't want you to steal him from me :)

A: Pours a nice golden orange with a very small whispy head. No retention or lace.

S: Aromas of light citrus and mild lime zest. Mild sweetness beneath with hints of cream and bread.

T: The citrus is there but it is not at all biting. Hints of lactose sugar, crust, and a dash of half and half. Creamy and smooth, but I wish it had a bit more of the bite that key limes pack.

M: Rather mild in carbonation. Smooth, but pretty still on the tongue.

D: Pretty good. It was a great shot, but it fell a bit short of hitting the mark. I love that Short's experiments like they do. Some are dead on, others are a bit off. This one is the latter.

09-17-2010 23:19:23 | More by tpd975
koopa

3.75/5  rDev +9%

Bottle received in a trade with a generous BA thanks!

Appearance: Pours a slightly cloudy and dull iced tea with honey folds. The crown in 1 finger, slightly off white, displays moderate retention and little lace.

Smell: A hint of citrus (lime / lemon) with a me-range sweetness about it, and hint of biscuity / doughy malt backbone.

Taste: Same as nose but the lime comes through even less. Pretty disjointed and just not that enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with low carbonation.

Drinkability: Not hard putting this one back but it doesn't inspire me to do so either.

Swing and a miss....

09-17-2010 21:41:27 | More by koopa
davod23

3.65/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the bottle into a tulip.

Pour is a burnt umber, very nice clarity. A small, fizzy white head develops immediately but doesn't stick around. Light lacing. After a few minutes in the glass looks a bit lifeless.

It smells of a citrus lime zest, a sweetness that I think I can identify as marshmallow. Interesting, but not as complex or dramatic as I'd like.

Taste is pretty good. Citrus lime, marshmallow. It's quite sweet. A bit of the graham cracker comes through here. Interesting to say the least.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin, little fizzy. I'd like more body to this beer - you call a beer Key Lime Pie, you'd maybe want it to be a bit more decadent.

Drinkability is high. This goes down easily. Despite the sweetness, the tart citrus component makes it pretty refreshing.

Good effort on a weird concept.

09-15-2010 20:35:26 | More by davod23
SpeedwayJim

4.03/5  rDev +17.2%

I've been fiending to review this one after I had about 10 samples of it at EBF. Finally able to get my hands on a bottle. Thanks to biernutz. 120z. bottle poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint.

A: Gentle pour yields a 1 finger coarse white head with poor retention. Beer is a clear orange-amber. Lacing is spotty and with little cling.

S: Super sweet. This one actually smells like Key Lime Pie. Amazing. Tart, creamy, and even a little bready!

T: Opens with a yeasty sweet and slightly tart lime that is unmistakable. Dissipates partially towards the middle and gives way to a distinct gingerbread flavor. Creamy. Lime returns towards the end and is slightly pleasantly boozy. Finishes sweet with a key lime aftertaste.

M: Light bodied and well carbonated. Lively and slightly watery in the mouth but this one smooths out as it warms up a bit. Finish is messy and aftertaste is sticky and lingers.

D: I'd give this one a 6 if I could. Like drinking key lime soda, only alcoholic. This is good at any time of the day and during any season of the year. A supremely sessionable beer and definitely one of Short's better creations.

09-14-2010 23:07:32 | More by SpeedwayJim
sweemzander

2.55/5  rDev -25.9%

12oz. bottle poured into an imperial pint.

(A)- Pours a clear amber color that produced a good white head with decent retention. Some thick lacing left behind.

(S)- Kind of a citrus lime zest that turns a tad tart, yet has a light nutty caramel-like sweetness.

(T)- Same like the smell. A nutty caramel sweetness with a light yet tart lime citrus zest.

(M)- A good carbonation level to it. Sweet, with a citrus kick. Has a weird nutty character I was not expecting in this.

(D)- I always applaud Shorts for trying new ways to push the boundaries of certain styles and this is no different, however I was expecting it to be far more like the name implies. Yes, there is lime, but the marshmallow and graham cracker parts seemed to have meshed into a nutty caramel-like malt that does not quite agree with the tart/acidic lime.

09-14-2010 18:27:58 | More by sweemzander
regspeir

3.83/5  rDev +11.3%

Poured a lighter amber with little or no head and minimal lacing. Nose is boozy sweetness, with cinnamon and graham cracker. Taste definitely has some lactose with elements of breadiness, citrus and sourness (lemon?). This is pretty sweet but tempered by the tartness of lime. Interesting. Body is thinner, carbonation light and feel is creamy. I couldn't drink a lot of this but Key Lime Pie is certainly what they achieved here.

09-14-2010 01:28:59 | More by regspeir