Short's Key Lime Pie - Short's Brewing Company

Short's Key Lime PieShort's Key Lime Pie

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.75% ABV

(Beer added by: jrallen34 on 02-21-2010)

My second time having this beer, the first time had definitely begun to sour slightly, tasaty, but totally different from this experience. The color is a hazy straw, whispy quick head. Aromas of graham cracker and lime pie, definitely nailed the nose on this one. Flavor is as expected, although it leaves with a tangy bicuit malt flavor that I'm not crazy about, similar to the Shortscake. They did a great job of pinpointing flavors of the namesake, but I still wish it was bigger. Maybe an Imperial Key Lime Pie?

Tripphop, Aug 12, 2011
3.33/5  rDev -3.2%

I got this beer from arvjunk. Thanks Ankur!

12oz bottle served in a standard pint glass.

L - hazy copper color with a off-white head that thinned out to a ring.

S - smells like limes and graham cracker crust.

T - taste like liquid key lime pie, I guess they hit the mark on this one, just not my style.

F - medium bodied with mild carbonation.

O - not a big fan but I'm glad I got to try it.

JoeyBeerBelly, Jul 09, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +25.9%

Had this on tap @ Pyramid Scheme in Grand Rapids. The bartender offered my wife and I a sample pour.

I was ... amazed. It tastes like a very mild beer with key lime pie - exactly as you'd expect. All of the tastes of a key lime pie are there - the lime filling, the cream topping, and the crust.

Definitely not a beer to drink when you want a beer, but if you want something different - this is a good drink!

ModemMisuser, Jul 06, 2011
3.75/5  rDev +9%

Appearance:

Tonight I will be using one of my trusty workhorse glasses for this funky ale, my bubbled pint glass that once had the Dogfish Head logo on it but from using it so much and putting it through the dishwasher it rubbed off. But none the less it is still a great glass and ready to be filled up at a moments notice. As I pried the cap off the bottle I was greeted by a slightly less than average hiss from the carbonation gases and came and left quickly. On the pour, I decided to tilt the glass pretty hard to ensure I don’t have a foam over and when I was done I was left with a light coffee froth colored head with a half finger thick head that dissipated quite quickly. When I hold my glass up to the light I can get a deep hazy rust color that resembles a very light Irish Red beer, with some orange hues around the edges. When I give a glass a slight swirl there seems to be a very light presence of viscosity and hardly no legs to mention of.

Smell:

On the front end I am surprised to smell a large amount of malt and burnt caramel. Although there is a very prominent aroma of lime and other citrus fruits available there is just a tinge of a brett that I am hoping doesn’t mean its infected. Brown sugar all throughout the middle and some of the gram cracker is poking through with more sweetness and maybe cinnamon? There is absolutely no hops to mention of here and I am not surprised since I expected this to be a dessert in a bottle.

Taste:

I am thoroughly pleased with the taste on this, and I know it sounds so cliche to say but it honestly does taste like a liquid key lime pie. Loads of fresh sliced limes and toasted buttery malts are the front and center stage here. I really do not get any of the marshmallow as described on the bottle but I imagine there is lactose or another form of sugar in this to make the body feel heavier and taste sweeter. When you take the initial swallow on this one it really catches you off guard and makes your mouth pucker a little bit and I am liking that. As in the nose, a touch of cinnamon and other spices are floating around to dub down the citrus sweetness. In the finish I am pulling out more caramel and toffee like flavors which remind me of a dessert drizzle that they put on some cheesecakes and pies.

Drinkability:

I think this was an awesome beer to review and I am really glad that I had the opportunity to give it a shot. Sweet and tart just like the pie and a fine summer time beer. I love the novelty of the strange and unique flavors that Shorts put out but I always feel the same way after I drink a bottle. “One is enough for me.” I think that this would be a great beer to have around and to have one every once and awhile but this is not one of those beers that you will sit down and have four of in one evening. At least I don’t think that I could. But none the less a fantastic beer and in my opionion spot on to the flavor and another piece of art from Shorts. If you can trade or find this I would say give it a shot becuase not too many breweries out there make unique beers like these guys.

Bmoyer0301, Jul 03, 2011

been wondering about this beer for a while. the first time i ever heard of short's a co-worker was talking about this specific beer and how much he enjoyed it, so nice to get to finally try it. BIG thanks to Florida9 who tossed this my way when I hand delivered a box for a BIF to him. much appreciated (and unnecessary).

a - opened and poured into my capt lawrence taster tulip. beer poured a dark opaque orange amber with a very thin bubbly head (almost champagne like). i'm not gonna lie, i was hoping that this would be green, but none-the-less pretty ok looking beer...to style for a vedgie beer.

s - i can smell the sourness from the table. upon closer inspection, very fruity and tart. key lime for sure. nice candied sweetness, borderliine too sweet.

t - at first very tart...almost wine-cooler like. pretty sweet, then goes into a bit of a sour and then finishes pretty thick and heavy. quite unique, quite key lime.

m - has the typical shorts fullness, but the carbonation is very champagne-like and helps round out the feel.

o - overall, my experience with short's has been very up and down. i really loved some of the beers and others were a bit too science project like and not fully baked ideas. i give them credit for pushing the envelope and still getting a drinkable (and at times delicious) product. this was a good one. like many other short's beers, you have to realize what you are getting into when you drink a beer called "key lime pie" and with short's track record that typically means a beer that actually tastes somewhat like the namesake. for making a beer that resembles key lime pie, i gotta say that they did a pretty good job.

cosmicevan, Jul 03, 2011
2.95/5  rDev -14.2%

Thanks to the Central PA tasting group for sending this our way.

A: appears a slightly hazy orange, somewhat lifeless looking, no lacing

S: notes of citric acid hit big on the front with a touch of lactic acid. Lime is definitely discernible on the nose. Not picking up any graham cracker or marshmallow.

T: lots of lime, almost tastes like Sprite has gone slightly sour with some alcohol present. Hard to think of this brew as beer. Reminds me more of a malternative. Very sweet.

MF: thin body, low carbonation

O: I'm having some troubles with this brew. It is definitely an ambitious attempt and the result is unique to say the least...but this comes off more like a novelty beer like many of Short's other products.

homebrew311, Jun 26, 2011
3.3/5  rDev -4.1%

12oz bottle into tulip - i cant remember who sent this to me, but thanks!

Pours a murky deep brownish color with some lighted hues attempting to peek through. Small tanned head fades out with little retention or lacing.

Decent flair of lime in the nose with zest and slight tartness. Sweeter tones with burnt sugar and citrus. There's also a metallic touch which typically signals another off bottle from Short's, but this wasn't too bad.

Whoa - lots of lime right up front. Juicy and zesty with some tart undertones. Sweetness peeks through with burnt sugar and some faint notes of pie crust. I can taste what they're going for here, but it didn't quite come through as well as it has in other bottles I've sampled. There's definitely a bit too much tartness and a touch of off-flavoring. Finishes a bit tart with more lime.

Medium body, medium carbonation, lingering and a bit puckering at times on the tongue. I'm a huge fan of key lime pie and I've had better bottles, but this particular one was definitely a bit off...

xnicknj, Jun 13, 2011
3.5/5  rDev +1.7%

a: a cloudy brown. Has a slightly offensive color to it...looks a tad like diarrhea to be honest. Very fluffy head with little retention and lacing.

s: bready sweet spice in here. I get a lot of malt sweetness with a citrus lime twist in the end. The lime on the nose doesn't mix well with the malt sweet you get...though the sweetness is very pleasant.

t: crisp and sweet. I don't know that I can pinpoint marshmallow, but this is sugar sweet here. nice lime flavor shines through with a cinnamon chewy bite that mixes so well with the yeast it is just like graham cracker. This holds true the name...this is key lime pie I am drinking. good tartness on the finish to really sell this.

m: nice carb and not too thick. Coats well. wish it finished a bit dryer to assist in the flavor...but that is what you get with all this sweet in here.

o: very good fruit beer in the taste. I couldn't drink this all night. It is great if you are just looking to have 1 for the night as I can't imagine much going well with this. It truly is Key Lime Pie in the bottle, though you certainly need to be in the mood for it.

Preismj, Jun 10, 2011
3.5/5  rDev +1.7%

A: The beer is clear orangey amber in color and has no signs of visible carbonation. It poured with a thin ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass.
S: There are aromas of malty sweetness in the nose along with some notes of lime.
T: The taste has a light to moderate amount of sweetness and notes of limes in the flavors.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied and somewhat smooth on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: The beer isn’t that difficult to drink because it’s not that sweet and the lime flavors are subdued.

metter98, Jun 07, 2011
3.78/5  rDev +9.9%

A-Pours a bright orange/amber, no head
S-Limes! Bright citrus, predominated by the scent of sweet limes. Very nice.
T-Similar lime sweetness up front, transitions to a milky, malt sweetness. Sweet lime flavor balanced very well with the creamy body.
M-Heavier than it looks- definitely has a chewier, syrupy quality to it. Not overpowering, but I suppose what you’d expect with a “pie” beer
O- Good beer, pretty impressed with this one. For all intents and purposes, this is key lime pie in a glass. On that note, not something I could sit a drink all night, as Im not a huge fruit beer fan, but a must-try for sweet, fruity beer lovers

browna71, May 07, 2011
3.68/5  rDev +7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Key Lime Pie is served up at Short's pub a murky brownish amber with no head at all. I was pretty surprised by the color, but then again what was I expecting; a green beer? The few bubbles that were hanging around the top of the glass looked beige in color and did not leave hardly any trace of lacing.

The aroma is sweet with a definite malted barley (cracker) sweetness. The other aromas were much less beer like with a tinge of lime and some graham cracker notes.

The flavor is pretty nuts. It definitely has a malty beer like backbone, but other than that it does, in fact, taste similar to the dessert that it is named after. Plenty of zesty lime and graham flavor are bolstered by some serious sweetness. I am tempted to say it is too sweet, but for a beer that's modeled after a pie; I think this sweetness is needed.

The body is medium with a mouthfeel that has a good amount of carbonation, but is awfully sticky. The finish is both sweet and zesty, with some graham cracker also lingering on my palate. This beer doesn't have best mouthfeel, but it is a dessert beer after all.

This is definitely not a brew that I would crush, or get a growler of. Also, it would be pretty tough to drink more than one of these beers in a sitting. However, I think Short's meant it to be a fun beer that could be treated like dessert. In that aspect, I they were successful. It is definitely worth the price of admission.

zoso1967, Apr 24, 2011
2.88/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Thanks to sweemzander for this unique beer.

A: Crystal clear amber gold hue. Close to two fingers of off white head. Solid retention, sticky lace.

S: Sweet malt with a distinct sharp lime tartness. Sugar cookie and mild hint of brown sugar and ice tea.

T: The lime is the first thing that jumps out with a mild sweet malt backbone. That's about all I can pick up. Maybe a touch of grahm cracker in the finish.

M: Medium to light body. Mild carbonation.

O: I've had this on several occasions and this one seemed to be the worst. From a growler and direct from the tap this is drinkable. In the bottle not so much.

beerwolf77, Apr 23, 2011
3.5/5  rDev +1.7%

Tasting notes from 4/16/11.
Poured in to Brandy snifter.

A - Medium amber colour with a small amount of white head and some visible carbonation.

S - A lot of sweetness up front with some brown sugar coming through. Some bready malts are evident along with some lime. The lime is evident but is not dominating.

T - Sweet caramel, brown sugar and biscuit with a tartness that really cuts down the sweetness. The tartness brings through the lime flavour that, as per the nose, is evident but not overpowering. The sweetness and tartness are in a good balance overall.

M - Medium body, lightly carbonate.d

O - An interesting beer. I don't get key lime pie specifically here but I do get some of the components - the lime, the biscuit and the brown sugar. The flavours just don't come together to make key lime pie. This one was enjoyable but not one that I would be overly disappointed with never trying again.

TheSevenDuffs, Apr 20, 2011
3.68/5  rDev +7%

Thanks to jchristie for sharing...12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: A bit on the pale side, with a fair bit of off-white head. It's deceiving in terms of the appearance; it's not like a pumpkin beer, where the appearance gives it away. This one's sly.

S: Lots of graham cracker come out in the initial whiff, with only a touch of lime in the background. In this way, it almost reminds me of some of the BMC lime beers: they smell like they normally do, with just a hint of the fruit beneath them. As the beer warms a touch, the marshmellow flavor opens up a fair bit more, bringing a clearer picture to the table.

T: The marshmellow and graham cracker hit in first, as if you've decided to start with the crust and whipped cream topping of a key lime pie. Out of the blue, a big tidal wave of key lime comes crashing over, hitting hard in the jaw. There it is! It fades relatively quickly, and the graham cracker flavor is what is left behind as you contemplate your next sip.

M: Almost overly carbonated, it seems like it's trying to be a cross between beer and champagne. It's also a bit on the thin side, which I think detracts from the whipped cream/marshmellow taste. It doesn't translate in the head as well.

O: Worth trying. It's definitely experimental, and it grew on me as I kept sipping on it. A good effort.

rrheisler, Apr 11, 2011
3.23/5  rDev -6.1%

reviewed from notes:

appearance: orange brown with 2 finger head

smell: limes, sour,

taste: tart, lime, strange after taste,

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium body,

overall: interesting was hoping for a more balanced slice of pie. but would definitely give it another try if given the chance.

Cheers,
The CPJ

THECPJ, Mar 17, 2011
3.55/5  rDev +3.2%

Reviewed from notes.

A- Rich amber color, murky appearance. The head is small and white, and fades off quickly.

S- Smells of limey citrus, and graham crackers. Also get some sourness and marshmellow smell.

T- Holy crap. What a unique and big flavored beer. All over the place with tart/lactose, citrus, and graham crackers. I also get the marshmellow as well as part of the aftertaste.

M- The flavors are all over, but the mouthfeel actually works pretty well. Nice carbonation and body.

D- I wanted to dive into this one, but it was a bit tart. The aftertaste was also a bit overwhelming.

A very innovative beer. Has a lot of potential, but just didn't quite work.

Gfunk720, Feb 20, 2011
3.73/5  rDev +8.4%

poured into a tulip

A.

A hazy amber color. Not much head on this beer. Just a small white ring of it.

S.

A little sour smelling. you get some faint lime and subtle graham cracker. I wasn't expecting actual graham cracker smells, even if it's brewed with it.

T.

actually just a described. Up front the lactic and sweet limes come through..then it moves on to a creamy marshmallow/meringue flavor with just a touch of sweet graham cracker. I think the graham cracker is more in the aroma than taste, but the marshmallow is pretty prevalent in the taste and not so much aroma.

M.

about medium bodied. A low carbonation in this beer...I could use some more as it would make the overall flavor better IMO.

D.

Decent for a bottle of Shorts, but I'm willing to bet this would be MUCH better on tap. Hard to get in the area so you can't find these whenever you want. I will definitely be grabbing more of these on my next MI adventures.

cetherid, Feb 20, 2011
3.23/5  rDev -6.1%

Standard pour resulted in a single finger bubbly head, chunky, hazy amber in color.

Wild nose on this one, and I don't mean wild yeast, just crazy. Sugar and spice and citrus lemon lime. Hard to describe.

Lots of sweet and sour up front with lemon lime taste, some caramel and a little bread. Pretty odd.

Medium body, light carbonation.

Just a fun and pretty funny beer, but I couldn't drink more than one of them.

BradDurbin89, Feb 08, 2011
3.53/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Deep hazy amber with a finger bubbly, splotchy head.

S - Very unusual. Graham cracker, cinnamon, acrid lemon lime. This has a weird meatyness in the smell, this is really hard to describe.

T - Up front, I'm getting a sweet & sour lemon lime taste (similar to Mcdonalds mcnugget sweet&sour sauce), sugar, sweet & bready graham cracker, caramel, brown sugar. Some of that sweet & sour plus stale bread hangs around in the aftertaste. Tasty, but strange.

M - Medium body, somewhat syrupy with just a tickle of carbonation.

D - Strictly a dessert beer, fun to try, but not sustainable in any way. I wouldn't want to have 2 of these back to back, more of a beer I'd share with my mom to showcase what you can actually do with beer. This doesn't taste like key lime pie, but there are many hints of key lime pie in the beer.

drewba, Feb 05, 2011
3.4/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a hazy orange/brown. Small layer of head, which is slick on the sides of the glass and leaves a few traces or traces head.

S: Interesting scent to it, graham with a hint of lime. The nose stings the nostrils just a little.

T: A graham malt flavor up front with a sweetness of marshmallow and lactose to a bitter lime flavor on the finish. With a little imagination this tastes like a piece of key lime pie, some sips however make me think of a a lime flavored sour. Either way this beer is interesting.

M: Lots of carbonation on the mouth, the finish is a little crisp, mainly due to the bitter lime flavor.

D: Low ABV and interesting flavor make this a beer worth trying. However one was enough for me.

SiepJones, Feb 04, 2011
3.63/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Review from notes

I smell malts at first, followed by a lot of lime.  Tastes malty, limes and slight marshmallow. Very interesting. Mouthfeel is good and drinkability is kinda low, I could probably only drink one or two at the most. Definitely not a session beer but glad I got to try one.

Lukafer, Feb 04, 2011
2.13/5  rDev -38.1%

321Jeff gave me this as an extra.

Slightly hazy, amber color beer. minimal white head that dissapates quickly, eventually into nothing.

This beer smells wrong. I can sense honey sweetness and cracker smell that is listed on the bottle but overall the smell is borderline rotten....after a minute of smelling it I figured it out- the lime has gone bad. call me crazy but behind the sour rottenness I can smell some ginger-esque spices. more graham cracker?

I dont want to taste it. but i will. the taste isn't horrible, surprisingly. its not good at all and i don't want another sip but its not horrible. yea, I get the lime maybe some cracker if I want to find it. really sweet, i'd guess its the lactose among other things. Marshmallows and lime i'd bet.

very thin mouthfeel. the carbonation really, really subsided fromt the initial pour.

this is the opposite of drinkable

by far the weirdest beer i've tasted. not apalled, not impressed. i appreciate the creativity behind this and the balls that Shorts has to bottle this.

700Uave, Feb 04, 2011
2.42/5  rDev -29.7%

Reviewing from notes. 12oz bottle poured into a snifer

A: Burnt orange color. Limited head on the pour but a swirl gets up to a 1/2 finger

S: Very sweet swelling. Semi-tart lime scent. Seems spoiled. Bit of cracker as well

T: Key lime and lactic flavors. Oh man, this is tough to drink. The sweetness is very cloying and the unintentional tartness is just harsh. Guess this is a lesson to be careful when brewing with lactose sugar

M: Medium bodied. Highly carbonated. Not a fan of the aftertaste... sour lime and burnt malt

D: Not a fan. Definitely infected. Another pass from the dessert beer category

Brez07, Feb 04, 2011
3.93/5  rDev +14.2%

Sampled at Sexual Chocolate 2011.
Pours a very cloudy medium amber color with a somewhat thin off white head and a ton of lacing. Smells of key lime and pretty musty. Tastes of key lime pie just like at a decent restaurant. With a little crust and everything. Some light malts. Mouthfeel is medium and carbonation is light. Drinkability is okay.

TheKingofWichita, Feb 02, 2011
3.28/5  rDev -4.7%

A:fairly cloudy amber, ultra thin offwhite head. decent color but not a whole lot else going on.
S: definitely the strong point, actually has some distinct key lime aspects going on. fairy strong key lime odor, with the creamy pie filling. this is the one category that remained the same from the first time i tried this beer. it really makes me think of sticking my
nose is a slice o pie. its got a certain mustiness that im not sure is a good or bad thing, but im ok with it nonetheless.
T: a heavier version of key lime pie. the flavors really sit on your tongue. it lets up quite a bit from the smell. key lime, the crust actually does come through even if just a little bit, a little rough around the edges.
M: halfway into it, it turns into a viscous, but watery feeling, if that makes any sense. its lacking in much carbonation, which i feel may have lifted some of the current mouthfeel im getting now, if it had been increased. its left feeling kind of sticky, and unattractive.
D: not much to speak of. i remember the first time i had this, i split it with 2 other people, and rather enjoyed it. this time Around, its tough to make it all the way through.

Kkottonmouthkngz, Jan 31, 2011