2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Short's Bourbon Barrel Aged Wizard - Short's Brewing Company

Short's Bourbon Barrel Aged Wizard
No picture uploaded.

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

American Barleywine |  11.00% ABV

(Beer added by: mothman on 07-30-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 85 | Reviews: 24 | Show All Ratings:
Reviews by pmoore311:
pmoore311

4.1/5  rDev -4.2%

Had on tap at Shorts on 12/22/10

Appearance - a deep brown, nearly black, no head, great lacing on the glass.

Smell - hello bourbon, I was told this spent 2 years in the barrel, and it certainly smells that way. Wonderful notes of bourbon, vanilla, and dark ripe fruits.

Taste - fantastic brew, the bourbon is very present upfront along with dark sweet rasins, dates and figs and great caramely malts. Very sweet.

Mouthfeel - smooth and velvety with little or almost no carbonation.

Drinkability - the sweetness of the beer would prevent me from having more than one in a sitting but, this is an extremly smooth beer for being 12% abv.

Overall this beer is a winner for me, a great bal aged barley wine that is definately worth seeking out if you are in the area.

12-24-2010 17:30:36 | More by pmoore311

zacky_U

03-24-2014 12:05:31 | More by zacky_U
Badger6

4.44/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours dark copper, small bubbly head.

S: Bourbon and oak. Toffee, fudge, and vanilla, very sweet and very aromatic.

T: Sweet, sweet, sweet. Bourbon, interwoven by brown sugar, toffee, and caramel. Vanilla and oak come through as well. Slightly earthy. Finishes boozy.

M: Full body, almost no carbonation. to heavy, but very robust on the palate.

O: This is a boozy, boozy beer. The barrel character is distinct. Very smooth, nicely drinkable.

03-22-2014 00:19:07 | More by Badger6

sblanton83

02-14-2014 15:54:41 | More by sblanton83
Stu_Grimson

4.41/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

a- dark brown almost black look with a bit of head, not much but leaves a nice lacing along the side of the glass, looks thisck.

s- lots of alcohol which is to be expected from a bourbon barrel beer, but also some dark fruits and malts mixed in

t- a nice bourbon taste starts it off with a little sting from the alcohol followed with some nice barley wine tastes from dark fruits to caramel from the malts giving an almost sweet taste

m- a nice full bodied beer with a good amount of alcohol taste but nothing over powering

o- a nice bourbon aged barleywine that was complex and has great taste

02-14-2014 03:27:57 | More by Stu_Grimson
StoutHunter

4.33/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I had a couple Snifters of Shorts Bourbon Barrel Aged Wizard on draft at The Michigan Tap Room. I've been wanting to try this beer ever since I had the Wizard a few years ago and it was one of the main reasons I went to this Short's tap takeover, so lets see how it goes.

A- It Poured a nice very dark brown color that had a slight red tint to it and it took on more of ruby/crimson hue when held to the light along with a half a fingers worth of off white head that eventually faded away and it left some spotty lacing behind. This was a pretty good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness that had a slight brown sugar like aroma to it followed by a nice caramel, toffee with some cocoa like chocolate aromas with the cocoa sticking out the most and there's also some dark fruit like aromas in the background. Up next come the barrel which really shows up in the aroma and it imparts some nice bourbon, a little boozy, vanilla and oaky aromas. This beer had a very nice aroma, the Barleywine base worked well with the Bourbon Barrel and the barrel really showed up.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a high amount of sweetness that bordered on being highly sweet and it still retained that brown sugar like aspect followed by the barrel being the first to show up and it imparts all those nice Oaky, Bourbon, and vanilla like aspects that I got in the aroma along with the dark fruit showing up a little more with raisin being the most identifiable, but not by much. On the finish comes some nice toffee and caramel flavors and there's a pretty noticeable amount of alcohol that's a little boozy and warming and it lingers into the aftertaste with a nice oaky, vanilla, and toffee like aftertaste. This is a very good tasting beer, the flavor is just what I would expect from a good Bourbon Barrel aged Barleywine, but it's on the sweet and boozy side.

M- Fairly smooth for how strong it is, a little boozy, rich, sticky, full bodied, with a lower amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty good and it worked well with this beer but it was a little on the sticky side.

Overall I thought this was a very good beer and a very nice example of the style, it had all the aspects I look for in the style with the barrel showing up just a little more than it had too but it all comes together nicely and it worked good with the Barleywine Base. This beer had nice drinkability, it was fairly smooth, rich, sticky, fairly filling, but the taste really did a great job of delivering me what I wanted and keeping me entertained, so I had to order another snifter, I think two snifters was just the right amount and it makes for a great winter time beer. What I like the most about this beer is just about everything, it was a great all around Barrel aged Barleywine. What I liked the least about this beer was the mouthfeel, it wasn't bad, but It was a little on the sticky side for me. I would order this beer again in a heartbeat and if they bottle this again I will try very hard to get a couple bottles. I would recommend this to anyone who likes barrel aged barleywines. All in all I was very happy with this beer and it was just as good as I hoped it would be, I didn't plan on taking notes on this beer, but after I had one snifter I just had to get another one so I thought I should take some good notes on it because it could be a long time before I see this beer again. I have to say that I prefer this over the regular Wizard, but The Wizard is still a pretty nice Barleywine and it made for a great base for this beer. Awesome job guys, Short's really is the jack of all trades and they steady blow my mind and keep my guessing with their tasty and creative beers, keep up the kick ass work guys..

02-01-2014 02:50:29 | More by StoutHunter