Plum Rye Bock - Short's Brewing Company

Plum Rye BockPlum Rye Bock

good

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: nickadams2 on 11-13-2010)
Thorpe429

3.83/5  rDev +7%

Picked this bottle up in Michigan over the holidays. Served in a Cantillon tulip.

Pours crimson-hued with a dense, creamy head and a good amount of lacing. The nose has a bit of malt with some mild spicing. Pretty plain. The taste takes off quite a bit from there with a nice backbone of malt along with a bit of zesty rice and a nice finish. Red plum skins come through in the finish, though it's also a bit tannic. Medium body with somewhat-high levels of carbonation. Quite good overall.

01-25-2011 12:07:00 | More by Thorpe429
zestar

3.25/5  rDev -9.2%

07-19-2014 07:05:56 | More by zestar
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.08/5  rDev +14%

deep black with a huge brown head and a huge amount of lace. Looks pretty much as good as it can look, awesome, can't wait! Smell is a strong licorice with hints of plums, smoked touches, light rye? and some other fruit notes perhaps rasberry. The taste is very very sweet. Deep flavors of licorice and candy, is that dark plum raisin taste I taste..yummy to say the least! Nice as thick as I would have liked, but it goes down very easily and could be an easy all night drink.

07-30-2011 01:44:45 | More by mikesgroove
oline73

Maryland

2.83/5  rDev -20.9%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a mostly clear reddish amber with a finger of off white head and good retention.

Smell: Sweet malt with dark fruit and some tartness. Another slightly sour bottle from shorts.

Taste: A lot like the smell. I'm enjoying the plum flavor, but it's a little too sour for me. Some bready malt. I wouldn't have this one again.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with a good amount of smooth carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: I guess I should stay away from bottled short's beer. I still enjoy this brewery, because they try so many things that are damn interesting. Wouldn't have this one again, don't really taste the rye.

09-17-2011 03:04:08 | More by oline73
imperialking

3.5/5  rDev -2.2%

01-20-2012 23:55:48 | More by imperialking
brandoman63

11-30-2011 03:08:30 | More by brandoman63
billab914

3.75/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Dogfish shaped pint glass. It poured a deep caramel color with a bit of a reddish hue to it. It started with a pretty nice looking and thick frothy head to it. The head settled only to leave a bit of lacing as I drank it. The color was really cool though.

The aroma has the bready and slightly spicy rye flavor coming through. I get a little of the fruity, plum flavors to it but it's very reserved compared to the taste. It has some lager crispness to it as well.

The taste shows the sweet and fruity plum flavor pretty well without being overwhelming. I get a lot of cherry flavors out of it too, which I really like. It's definitely on the sweet side, with an almost fruit punch like quality to it. The finish shows a modest bitterness along with some tartness to it. The plum fruitiness is the real story here, there isn't much else noticeable.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is pretty good, I liked it a lot better then I thought it would. The plums were nicely done and provided a nice mix of sweet, tart and bitter flavors. I get a hint of sour to it but not nearly the amount other reviewers mention. Maybe I got a better bottle. Very interesting and tasty beer overall. I love to try interesting beers like this.

12-21-2010 02:20:47 | More by billab914
glid02

Georgia

3.6/5  rDev +0.6%

Bottle shared by Jeremy - much obliged!

Pours a clear and bright ruby color with a one-finger slightly off-white head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of moderately sweet caramel malts with hints of spicy rye. Also present are solid amounts of red grape aromas.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Smooth caramel malt flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by loads of red grape flavors with hints of cranberries. Midway through the sip the fruit flavors fade a bit and mild amounts of spicy rye comes into play. The rye and fruit flavors carry through to a mildly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with decent carbonation.

Drinkability is OK. I didn't have a problem finishing my glass however I'm not sure about another.

Overall I wasn't expecting much from this beer and it delivered almost exactly that. I didn't find much plum influence, rather it was skewed more toward dark grape juice with hints of slightly tart cranberries. Not a terrible beer but not one worth seeking out.

02-14-2011 03:49:16 | More by glid02
johnnnniee

New Hampshire

3.5/5  rDev -2.2%

Review from notes, sampled spring 2011
Pours a clear golden brown color with a good sized white ehad that persists for a while. The nose is sweet with caramel and burnt sugars offset with a tartness that I suspect comes from the rye as well as a tart dark fruit that should be from the plums. The flavor is rich and sweet like you'd expect from a bock, but there is a tart edge that makes this just a bit different. Spicy malts and tart dark fruits compete heavily with the clean malty richness of a bock. Medium body with a hint too much carbonation and a sweet tart kind of mouthfeel going on. Kudos to Short's for always pushing the boundaries, but this one doesn't work for me. I kept wanting this to be a clean bock, but that fruity tartness always jumped in.

08-03-2012 00:51:11 | More by johnnnniee
TurdFurgison

3.58/5  rDev 0%

12oz bottle purchased in Michigan before the holidays. Like most Shorts beers that I buy, this just sat in a refrigerator for several months while I passed it for other options. It's not often I'm in the mood for one of these experiments. Even tonight I'm not really in the mood, just trying to move stock.

It pours a dark amber color, SRM = 26-30 or so, with a thick off-white head. Pretty murky looking and translucent. Nice.

The smell is sort of spicy, not too much but it's there. Plum is there I guess but isn't really obvious, except that it's in the name. Caramel malts, toasty not roasty, add to the odd aromatic construction.

It tastes primarily tart, maybe a little sweetness right after the tartness hits home. Sort of fruity in a biting way, like the skin of the plum rather than the pulp.

Another oddity executed with skill, nothing short of what I expect from them.

02-13-2011 23:34:26 | More by TurdFurgison
Rhettroactive

District of Columbia

3.93/5  rDev +9.8%

From 12oz bottle to Bruges hybrid glass on 7/12/11
*From notes

A: Pruney-plum in color. It's deep amber red and quite dark. A standard pour yields a 2.5 finger head and decent stickiness.

S: Big time rye, first and foremost. Faint amounts of sun dried fruit, but they're not discernible.

T: Fruity, and that's clear right away. Up front it's a bit malic and tart. The rye kicks into gear soon after and stands strong through the finish.

M: Appealing. This carried decent weight and was much fuller in body then I'd expected.

O: Short's Plum Rye Bock is my first encounter with Short's brews. I can say that I was genuinely impressed with the balance here. This beer wasn't as obnoxious as I feared it may be.

This is a pretty solid rye offering, and the plum flair really adds a nice complexity to it. Recommended.

08-04-2011 23:00:56 | More by Rhettroactive
BeerFMAndy

Wisconsin

3.53/5  rDev -1.4%

12 oz bottle split and poured into a Stone IRS tulip. No date or info.

Thanks to sweemzander for sharing this other Short's!

A - Beautiful clear bronzed amber color with a low but very persistent head. Sticky lace clings to the glass above the sexy color.

S - Mild fruity notes of plum but also cherry and spicy fig. Deep Vienna and caramel malts add a low sweetness with toasted bread qualities. A little low overall and weird too.

T - Tart and unique plum flavor falls behind a sharp rye and toasted caramel malt. Crisp lager flavor and feel.

M - Crisp and clean with a smooth, slightly high carbonation finish that's just a little bit dry.

D - Good drinkability and a clean flavor and finish. Mild plum compliments the rye and malt nicely.

02-03-2011 01:44:40 | More by BeerFMAndy
sweemzander

3.33/5  rDev -7%

12oz. bottle poured into a tulip.

(A)- Pours a hazy reddish amber color that produced a decent gray-ish tan head that stuck around for awhile. Minimal lace.

(S)- Lots of rich and ripe plum with hints at a spicy caraway seed in the background.

(T)- Very similar to the smell. Definitely has a richer dark plum and black cherry flavor. Has a smooth yet spicy caraway seed.

(M)- A good carbonation level and balance. Smooth fruit and a minimal spiciness from the rye.

(D)- Yet another unique brew from Shorts. A simple yet enjoyable one that I am happy to say is not infected.

01-13-2011 00:52:23 | More by sweemzander
tectactoe

4.1/5  rDev +14.5%

Pours a dingy copper color, very opaque and very hazy, impossible to see anything on the other side. Dark beige-colored head, thick and fluffy - this beer was very volatile, even with a modest pour. Musty plum sweetness on the nose, some funk and some crisp tartness, slight herbal notes; some malt and spice also in the background. Not really getting any rye in the aroma. The taste is actually nothing what I expected from the aroma - very, very sweet taste up front. Huge abundance of plums and grapes, the sweetness turns into a sharp tartness for a moment, almost puckering. The carbonation peaks at the same time, giving one hell of a mouth shock midway through. Apple skins and phenol comes to mind as well. The rye doesn't get picked up until about three-quarters of the way through and even more so when the beer warms up a bit. The aftertaste is like stale rye bread and yeast - this beer is malty all the way. Very light perfume-like florals can be picked up but play tertiary to the malt and rye. Medium body, crisp with lots of carbonation. Beer almost floats away on your palate.

I didn't know what to expect with this one, but my expectations weren't very high. Maybe that's why I liked it so much? I was very pleasantly surprised with this one. Delicious fruit beer (and I don't normally like fruity stuff), fruit tastes authentic and sweet and it isn't cloying or sickeningly sweet. I'd have this one over and over again.

12-02-2012 19:04:27 | More by tectactoe
CheapBeerBuzz

3.25/5  rDev -9.2%

07-17-2012 21:07:15 | More by CheapBeerBuzz
cosmicevan

2.78/5  rDev -22.3%

Many thanks to gnemesis for the insane box of short's brews!!!

a - poured the 12oz bottle into captain lawrence tasting tulip. color was a ruby amber mix. it settled into the glass an almost purple brown. head was nice finger of frothiness with real chunky lacing. brew was semi-transparent and when held to the light, i could see steady and even carbonation.

s - spicey berry. fruit punch...tangy sweetness...a touch of red wine or spiked grape juice.

t - plums, dark fruits...kind of tastes like a poorly done belgian strong dark ale. kind of thin and tart.

m - very wine like. reminds me of spiked grape juice. kind of tart so leaves a bit of a pucker on my face.

d - just seems too much line drinking red wine in a box to me.

03-14-2011 00:05:18 | More by cosmicevan
Bung

3.48/5  rDev -2.8%

12 oz. Amber pour, ample frothy white head. Sticks to the glass pretty well.

Quite a bit of puckering fruit smell. Faint spice and "V8 Splash" type smell also.

Taste starts with tart fruit, then goes into some malt and spicy rye. Finishes with just a bit of darker fruit and peat, tobacco/smoke. The taste evens out quite a bit as it warms.

Lighter bodied but coats the mouth fairly well. The rye almost gives it a bit of creaminess. Alcohol is very well hidden. Not sure I would drink more than one though, the tartness is not all that pleasant. Same tartness that shows up in many of their experiment brews, just not my thing.

02-06-2011 23:11:50 | More by Bung
Mitchster

2.08/5  rDev -41.9%

$2.29 for a 12oz bottle at Merchants. No ABV or ingredients on the bottle or website.

Pours out to a clear deep amber, forming a modest light yellow head with average retention and solid lacing. Carbonation is moderate. The aroma opens with floral hops, like Hallertaur or Tett, lager yeast characteristics, a peculiar fruity sourness (obviously plum, but I wouldn't know it by nose), and that's about it. Mouthfeel is acridly tart with a medium body. The taste opens with a very sour cherry flavor, followed by a light bitterness, and lingering plum sourness in the finish. Plum and hop aftertaste. Sounds better than it actually is.

The acidity in this beer peels the paint off the walls and gives me instant heartburn. Way too sour, coming from a guy who loves Duchess. The funky metallic bitterness doesn't sit well with it either. I would not buy this again. Near drain pour.

12-21-2010 01:04:10 | More by Mitchster
tclapper

11-17-2011 03:29:59 | More by tclapper
nrbw23

2.2/5  rDev -38.5%

A- A pretty odd looking beer for sure, but in a pretty cool way. Pours a murky dark reddish purple color with a nice sized cream colored head. Head turns into a cap and leaves a bit of layered lacing.

S- I'm picking up red grapes, a bit of citrus and grain or rye. A bit of tartness too.

T- Plums, green apple, grapes and overall pretty tart/sour.

M- Medium in body with a good amount of carbonation.

O- I'm not really digging this at all and struggling with this bottle.

04-27-2011 10:38:56 | More by nrbw23
StoutHunter

3.75/5  rDev +4.7%

06-29-2014 20:03:59 | More by StoutHunter
SpdKilz

3.43/5  rDev -4.2%

This has been sitting in my refirgerator for a while. Thanks to kevin (kzoobrew) for this beer. Cheers buddy!

Appearance – Pours into my SA Perfect Pint with a dark amber, slight orange color. About a finger of off white head is achieved with a moderate pour, which dissipates at a medium pace leaving slight lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell – Slight plum fruit notes, figs, and grapes. Slight spices but overall quite reserved.

Taste – Quite interesting flavor. Plum tartness can quickly be detected, slight malty backbone…and rye. Yet another interesting beer from Short’s.

Mouthfeel – Decent carbonation, lighter, and crisp.

Overall – An interesting beer, one I wouldn’t get again but as with most Short’s beers, glad I was able to try it.

04-17-2011 01:35:03 | More by SpdKilz
alleykatking

Indiana

3.53/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured from 12oz bottle. Thanks to VinnieVanGogh for stopping by with a mixed 6pk of Short's!

A- Pours a bronzed amber color. Half finger off white head shows low retention. Specks of lace are left on the sides of the glass.

S- Caramel malts in the front of the beer really shine with almost no other aroma. Midway through there is some grapes and a muted plum aroma. Some light rye on the backend of the aroma makes up the final part of the nose.

T- Caramel malts are still in the front end like the aroma. Grapes come in next with some other red fruit flavor that I can't put my finger on. The middle of the beer is where the rye kind of shines and fades in the backend but is there till the end. The ending part of the beer is mostly bigger plum notes with caramel malts and light alcohol.

M- Medium light mouthfeel. Carbonation is lower for the style I thought. Caramel malts, light darker fruit, and rye are left on the palate. Aftertaste is light alcohol, plum, rye, and caramel malts. Flavors were blended well for the style but a little muted. No off flavors were present while drinking. Light alcohol drying on the palate.

D- This was a interesting beer. I wasn't sure if I was going to like it at first to be honest. The flavors were a little muted but the lack of alcohol flavor meant I could drink this a little more quickly.

02-23-2011 03:57:47 | More by alleykatking
Onenote81

3.63/5  rDev +1.4%

Cool extra from readbaron.

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a murky amber with an ever-so-thin off-white on top. Minor lace sticks around. The nose is lightly musty with hints of wet wood, some fruity quality that I can only imagine is plum, and faint syrup. Pretty sweet aroma.

The mouth is moderate. Good carbonation level, with a light bubbly finish. The fruit aspect comes full force in the flavor. Plum, sour grapes, figs, and sweet malts. This is almost drying on the back end, but subtly. This isn't bad. It was an easy-enough drinker as my glass was empty before I knew it. Not something I could have much of, but a good tart fruit beer anyways.

01-27-2011 17:29:11 | More by Onenote81
portia99

3.55/5  rDev -0.8%

12oz bottle...another interesting Shorts offering from jpmclaug in our latest trade. Thanks again. Poured into a Brooklyn snifter.

A - Pours a marginally purple tinted amber color with a thin head and leaving behind only a light off white collar and no lacing on the glass.

S - No doubt there are plums in here, anybody who needs a primer on plum aromas doesn't need to look any further than right here. In addition, there are some mildly tart and acidic fruit aromas, alcohol, red wine.

T - Tart up front with some underlying bitter hops and distinctive rye that are surprisingly strong in the flavor profile. Earthy, dirty flavors, plum flavors come thru nicely but lighter in intensity than the aroma would indicate. I think the bitter undertones are a bit much and throw off the balance here. I actually think this tastes a bit like a bad homemade red wine

M - Just on the thin side of medium bodied. Carbonation is strong and works pretty well here. Not sure what a rye bock "should" taste like, so a bit hard to judge, but seems like this one is trying to be "wild", but is only a bit "untamed". Infection?...maybe, but I have nothing to go by on this one. It isn't unpleasant (or even necessarily not what the brewer intended), just an observation on this one.

D - Not bad, but I'm not sure I'd go for this again...but maybe I would. I'm a bit torn on this one. I am actually enjoying what I'm tasting, but I'm not sure why...its not especially funky, sour or tart...it isn't clean, hoppy, distinctively fruity or particularly well balanced, but somehow it seems to be going down fairly well. Might love it or hate it next time, but it is definitely another out of the ordinary beer from Shorts.

01-07-2011 02:14:31 | More by portia99