Plum Rye Bock - Short's Brewing Company

Plum Rye BockPlum Rye Bock

good

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: nickadams2 on 11-13-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
BBP

Ontario (Canada)

3.93/5  rDev +9.8%

Pours burgundy chestnut with a large amount of short lived head. Lacing is slight, but exists.

Plum and rye form the aroma in that order, with plum being quite dominant. A bit of caramel peaks through.

The taste is largely different than I was expecting. I guess I had a bit of a negative predisposition against it since it was a lager, but I sort of figured that the plum flavor would just be on top of a watery base, which is far from the truth.

The plums, and what tastes like grapes as well, form a considerably thick and potent taste. It doesn't taste weak or too light at all. Bready malts and caramel give it some character and it takes on a bit of a belgian taste. At the same time, it has hints of sourness which again add to the character.

The body is slightly below medium. Carbonation does it's job quite well by making it light and a bit fuller at the same time. Swishing this around feels just right, and the carbonation at worst is slightly prickly.

Overall, this was a lot better than I expected. I love a local store that features Short's beer in singles or in a mixed 6 for savings. It really lets me try the plethora of their offerings without the potential risk. I can certainly say though, that there are few beers I wouldn't buy again.

Shorts has an ability to make the strangest sounding things work. This beer is no exception, and actually less far out than most. I recommend it to anybody looking for their hit of fruit.

10-12-2011 04:44:38 | More by BBP
oline73

Maryland

2.83/5  rDev -20.9%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a mostly clear reddish amber with a finger of off white head and good retention.

Smell: Sweet malt with dark fruit and some tartness. Another slightly sour bottle from shorts.

Taste: A lot like the smell. I'm enjoying the plum flavor, but it's a little too sour for me. Some bready malt. I wouldn't have this one again.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with a good amount of smooth carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: I guess I should stay away from bottled short's beer. I still enjoy this brewery, because they try so many things that are damn interesting. Wouldn't have this one again, don't really taste the rye.

09-17-2011 03:04:08 | More by oline73
Rhettroactive

District of Columbia

3.93/5  rDev +9.8%

From 12oz bottle to Bruges hybrid glass on 7/12/11
*From notes

A: Pruney-plum in color. It's deep amber red and quite dark. A standard pour yields a 2.5 finger head and decent stickiness.

S: Big time rye, first and foremost. Faint amounts of sun dried fruit, but they're not discernible.

T: Fruity, and that's clear right away. Up front it's a bit malic and tart. The rye kicks into gear soon after and stands strong through the finish.

M: Appealing. This carried decent weight and was much fuller in body then I'd expected.

O: Short's Plum Rye Bock is my first encounter with Short's brews. I can say that I was genuinely impressed with the balance here. This beer wasn't as obnoxious as I feared it may be.

This is a pretty solid rye offering, and the plum flair really adds a nice complexity to it. Recommended.

08-04-2011 23:00:56 | More by Rhettroactive
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.08/5  rDev +14%

deep black with a huge brown head and a huge amount of lace. Looks pretty much as good as it can look, awesome, can't wait! Smell is a strong licorice with hints of plums, smoked touches, light rye? and some other fruit notes perhaps rasberry. The taste is very very sweet. Deep flavors of licorice and candy, is that dark plum raisin taste I taste..yummy to say the least! Nice as thick as I would have liked, but it goes down very easily and could be an easy all night drink.

07-30-2011 01:44:45 | More by mikesgroove
ne0m00re

3.78/5  rDev +5.6%

07/09/11- Review of a 12 oz bottle of this.
A: Deep red, cream head with decent lacing.
S: Relatively clean, toasty caramel, nice earthy barnyard plums. Good.
T: Caramel covered tart plums, cleaner finish. Nice balance with a good linger.
M: Medium body and creamy carbonation, but crisp in the finish.
O: Not too bad. Way to go, Short's.

07-18-2011 01:22:29 | More by ne0m00re
ottovon

Arizona

4.18/5  rDev +16.8%

shared by whiterascal.

A: pours out a deep brownish color with ruby and orange hues. there is a thin off-white head.

S: it has a nice aroma. i get plum, raspberries, and a touch of alcohol. there is caramel malt in there as well. i also get hints of bittersweet chocolate and orange. there is a bit of rye spiciness in there as well.

T: this has a little sweetness in it. you get rye, plum, raspberries, and toffee. i also get a touch of chocolate, and it finishes slightly dry and a touch bitter.

M: it has a medium body with low carb. it is a very smooth beer.

O: i really like this beer. this is a beer that would be great with a fire and some colder weather outside. it is a little sweeter than i normally go for, which is keeping me from giving the taste a 4.5, but it is a good beer.

06-16-2011 03:18:30 | More by ottovon
trappistlover

Arizona

3.9/5  rDev +8.9%

(12oz bottle courtesy of rayl101!!). Pours hazy orange-amber color with massive tan head. Loads of carbonation on this one. Aroma has loads of ripe pit fruit, maybe a hint of orange, and some hay notes. Unique. Taste is sweet like a very ripe plum-a bit tart as well. Medium bodied with a slick texture. Tart finish. This is a different beer and one that I like quite a bit. I couldn’t drink it all night, but it has some nice flavors that are new to me in a beer.

05-14-2011 04:11:14 | More by trappistlover
nrbw23

2.2/5  rDev -38.5%

A- A pretty odd looking beer for sure, but in a pretty cool way. Pours a murky dark reddish purple color with a nice sized cream colored head. Head turns into a cap and leaves a bit of layered lacing.

S- I'm picking up red grapes, a bit of citrus and grain or rye. A bit of tartness too.

T- Plums, green apple, grapes and overall pretty tart/sour.

M- Medium in body with a good amount of carbonation.

O- I'm not really digging this at all and struggling with this bottle.

04-27-2011 10:38:56 | More by nrbw23
SpdKilz

3.43/5  rDev -4.2%

This has been sitting in my refirgerator for a while. Thanks to kevin (kzoobrew) for this beer. Cheers buddy!

Appearance – Pours into my SA Perfect Pint with a dark amber, slight orange color. About a finger of off white head is achieved with a moderate pour, which dissipates at a medium pace leaving slight lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell – Slight plum fruit notes, figs, and grapes. Slight spices but overall quite reserved.

Taste – Quite interesting flavor. Plum tartness can quickly be detected, slight malty backbone…and rye. Yet another interesting beer from Short’s.

Mouthfeel – Decent carbonation, lighter, and crisp.

Overall – An interesting beer, one I wouldn’t get again but as with most Short’s beers, glad I was able to try it.

04-17-2011 01:35:03 | More by SpdKilz
cetherid

Indiana

3.45/5  rDev -3.6%

poured into a tulip

A.

Beer is a hazy opaque brownish purple color. A huge amount of off-white head in this pour. About 2-3 fingers worth before fizzing down to about 1.

S.

Aroma not as strong as I liked. I have to really dig deep but I get some slight fruit and spice. maybe a hint yeast and sweet malt but somewhat underwhelming.

T.

Fruity flavor (almost like grape or plum skins) that is both sweet and tart with a hint of sourness. I think the sweetness/tartness hide some of the rye notes in this beer but rye and the presence of hops is slightly noticeable.

M.

A decent mouthfeel..kind of what you'd expect from a fruit beer. Great carbonation on this beer though. Leaves a pretty noticeable dryness at the end, almost like a wine.

O.

I wouldn't seek this out again but a decent beer for a lager. I'm more of a fan of fruity ales than fruity lagers myself but I would try this on tap if I ever see it. Being a Shorts beer (as said in many of my other reviews) it's quite difficult to come by in my area.

03-23-2011 00:53:22 | More by cetherid
cosmicevan

2.78/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Many thanks to gnemesis for the insane box of short's brews!!!

a - poured the 12oz bottle into captain lawrence tasting tulip. color was a ruby amber mix. it settled into the glass an almost purple brown. head was nice finger of frothiness with real chunky lacing. brew was semi-transparent and when held to the light, i could see steady and even carbonation.

s - spicey berry. fruit punch...tangy sweetness...a touch of red wine or spiked grape juice.

t - plums, dark fruits...kind of tastes like a poorly done belgian strong dark ale. kind of thin and tart.

m - very wine like. reminds me of spiked grape juice. kind of tart so leaves a bit of a pucker on my face.

d - just seems too much line drinking red wine in a box to me.

03-14-2011 00:05:18 | More by cosmicevan
EROlsizzle

2.7/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

One bottle in the same mix-a-six as my PB&J. Purplish color and aroma that doesn't give much besides the heavy fruit. The taste is the same, with very little rye that I could detect. It's mostly fruit and very sweet. This is another brew that won't necessarily pull me back for more anytime soon.

03-10-2011 01:46:06 | More by EROlsizzle
otto251068

Tennessee

2.88/5  rDev -19.6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Chimay chalice. No freshness date.

Appearance: Pours a deep dark red, a little rust color. Beer looks great when held up to the light. A fingers worth of fluffy yellowish head appears and takes it's time before it fades. After a few minutes only a few splotches remain.

Smell: There is a faint sweet citrus aroma, a little tartness. Also some ripe red grapes. There is a little rye in there, but overall, not much.

Taste: Has a pleasant plum flavor, mostly under ripe plum skins, a little green apple, maybe a touch of lemon zest. The red grapes come through again, and the flavor adds some wine qualities to it. There is a tartness that hits me at the end, maybe a little sour.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with high carbonation. The body is fairly thin and doesn't linger too much after the swallow, however, that sourness remains. The carbonation level is a little too high for me, although it does "perk" up the beer nicely.

Overall: A little tart/sour, but it is a nice change of pace if the night has been filled with heavy stouts. One is enough for me tonight, but I will be back.

03-02-2011 23:04:50 | More by otto251068
GRPunk

3.65/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Bottle poured into a mug.

A- A normal pour left a foamy, 2-finger, tan head that crests the glass and lasts the duration. Tons of carbonation is showcased within a hazy, bronze body. Lots of foamy rings are left behind as I drain the glass.

S- Definite fruity aroma (assuming it's mostly due to the plum addition). Sweet and toasty malts come off as a little caramel at first that becomes more of a toasted whole grain or rye bread. At points it seems a little one dimensional toward the sour, plum qualities, but the grains always seem to kick in toward the end. It's a little subtle at first and more pronounced with warmth.

T- Very plum-like, somewhere between sweet and sour. It could really be mistaken for cherry qualities if I didn't know it was plum. As I drank I felt like I was really being taken through the experience of eating a plum. You get that tartness from the skin and sweeter qualities from the flesh. The flavor is enhanced by the underlying rye contribution. A bit of a grainy finish. Very flavorful, ending up a little overwhelming in the end.

M- Loads of carbonation. Quite clean. Sweetness comes off as a little sticky at points.

D- I love it when Short's names a beer and it totally tastes like the description. They've done that here. It's not a session beer, but a flavor experiment gone right. Something I'm glad I tried, though not something I'd necessarily seek out (they have so much good stuff out there).

02-27-2011 22:20:08 | More by GRPunk
alleykatking

Indiana

3.53/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured from 12oz bottle. Thanks to VinnieVanGogh for stopping by with a mixed 6pk of Short's!

A- Pours a bronzed amber color. Half finger off white head shows low retention. Specks of lace are left on the sides of the glass.

S- Caramel malts in the front of the beer really shine with almost no other aroma. Midway through there is some grapes and a muted plum aroma. Some light rye on the backend of the aroma makes up the final part of the nose.

T- Caramel malts are still in the front end like the aroma. Grapes come in next with some other red fruit flavor that I can't put my finger on. The middle of the beer is where the rye kind of shines and fades in the backend but is there till the end. The ending part of the beer is mostly bigger plum notes with caramel malts and light alcohol.

M- Medium light mouthfeel. Carbonation is lower for the style I thought. Caramel malts, light darker fruit, and rye are left on the palate. Aftertaste is light alcohol, plum, rye, and caramel malts. Flavors were blended well for the style but a little muted. No off flavors were present while drinking. Light alcohol drying on the palate.

D- This was a interesting beer. I wasn't sure if I was going to like it at first to be honest. The flavors were a little muted but the lack of alcohol flavor meant I could drink this a little more quickly.

02-23-2011 03:57:47 | More by alleykatking
beerwolf77

Wisconsin

3.2/5  rDev -10.6%

The final thank you to sweemzander as the weekend of beers has come to a close. I'm sure we didn't even put a small dent it that ridiculous cellar. Poured from a bottle into a tulip.

A: Orange brown, tiny amount of beige head. tiny little lace flecks stick to the glass.

S: Caramel malt, plums, cherries, rye and some interesting spices I can't figure out.

T: Much more tart than I had anticipated. Nothing bad just odd. Caramel malt and rye help keep this from becoming too weird. Again some spices that I simply can't name.

M: Medium body with low carbonation.

D: Another nice try from Short's to do something outside the box. I just don't think I get it. I enjoy rye and plums. Just maybe not in my beer together.

02-23-2011 03:07:17 | More by beerwolf77
glid02

Georgia

3.6/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Bottle shared by Jeremy - much obliged!

Pours a clear and bright ruby color with a one-finger slightly off-white head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of moderately sweet caramel malts with hints of spicy rye. Also present are solid amounts of red grape aromas.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Smooth caramel malt flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by loads of red grape flavors with hints of cranberries. Midway through the sip the fruit flavors fade a bit and mild amounts of spicy rye comes into play. The rye and fruit flavors carry through to a mildly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with decent carbonation.

Drinkability is OK. I didn't have a problem finishing my glass however I'm not sure about another.

Overall I wasn't expecting much from this beer and it delivered almost exactly that. I didn't find much plum influence, rather it was skewed more toward dark grape juice with hints of slightly tart cranberries. Not a terrible beer but not one worth seeking out.

02-14-2011 03:49:16 | More by glid02
TurdFurgison

3.58/5  rDev 0%

12oz bottle purchased in Michigan before the holidays. Like most Shorts beers that I buy, this just sat in a refrigerator for several months while I passed it for other options. It's not often I'm in the mood for one of these experiments. Even tonight I'm not really in the mood, just trying to move stock.

It pours a dark amber color, SRM = 26-30 or so, with a thick off-white head. Pretty murky looking and translucent. Nice.

The smell is sort of spicy, not too much but it's there. Plum is there I guess but isn't really obvious, except that it's in the name. Caramel malts, toasty not roasty, add to the odd aromatic construction.

It tastes primarily tart, maybe a little sweetness right after the tartness hits home. Sort of fruity in a biting way, like the skin of the plum rather than the pulp.

Another oddity executed with skill, nothing short of what I expect from them.

02-13-2011 23:34:26 | More by TurdFurgison
Bung

3.48/5  rDev -2.8%

12 oz. Amber pour, ample frothy white head. Sticks to the glass pretty well.

Quite a bit of puckering fruit smell. Faint spice and "V8 Splash" type smell also.

Taste starts with tart fruit, then goes into some malt and spicy rye. Finishes with just a bit of darker fruit and peat, tobacco/smoke. The taste evens out quite a bit as it warms.

Lighter bodied but coats the mouth fairly well. The rye almost gives it a bit of creaminess. Alcohol is very well hidden. Not sure I would drink more than one though, the tartness is not all that pleasant. Same tartness that shows up in many of their experiment brews, just not my thing.

02-06-2011 23:11:50 | More by Bung
BeerFMAndy

Wisconsin

3.53/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle split and poured into a Stone IRS tulip. No date or info.

Thanks to sweemzander for sharing this other Short's!

A - Beautiful clear bronzed amber color with a low but very persistent head. Sticky lace clings to the glass above the sexy color.

S - Mild fruity notes of plum but also cherry and spicy fig. Deep Vienna and caramel malts add a low sweetness with toasted bread qualities. A little low overall and weird too.

T - Tart and unique plum flavor falls behind a sharp rye and toasted caramel malt. Crisp lager flavor and feel.

M - Crisp and clean with a smooth, slightly high carbonation finish that's just a little bit dry.

D - Good drinkability and a clean flavor and finish. Mild plum compliments the rye and malt nicely.

02-03-2011 01:44:40 | More by BeerFMAndy
dc55110

3.45/5  rDev -3.6%

Pours the color of cup of cola that has had the ice melt in it. Hard as i tried I couldn't get a head, what head there was dissipates with in ten seconds.
*Edit* After attempting a 12" pour I was able to get a two finger head on the beer, which promptly fizzled out in less than a minute. There is a good deal of lacing in my tulip this time.

The smell is very fruity. Touches of apple, grape, plum (I guess).

Taste is very similar to a NA sparkling grape/apple cider. It is very sweet. The carbonation save this, sparkles nicely on the tongue. Slightly dry finish.

I couldn't have more than one of these unless it was a hot day and I was eating something very salty.

This is closer to champagne than Infinium, without all the bubles.

01-28-2011 05:43:01 | More by dc55110
Onenote81

3.63/5  rDev +1.4%

Cool extra from readbaron.

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a murky amber with an ever-so-thin off-white on top. Minor lace sticks around. The nose is lightly musty with hints of wet wood, some fruity quality that I can only imagine is plum, and faint syrup. Pretty sweet aroma.

The mouth is moderate. Good carbonation level, with a light bubbly finish. The fruit aspect comes full force in the flavor. Plum, sour grapes, figs, and sweet malts. This is almost drying on the back end, but subtly. This isn't bad. It was an easy-enough drinker as my glass was empty before I knew it. Not something I could have much of, but a good tart fruit beer anyways.

01-27-2011 17:29:11 | More by Onenote81
Thorpe429

3.83/5  rDev +7%

Picked this bottle up in Michigan over the holidays. Served in a Cantillon tulip.

Pours crimson-hued with a dense, creamy head and a good amount of lacing. The nose has a bit of malt with some mild spicing. Pretty plain. The taste takes off quite a bit from there with a nice backbone of malt along with a bit of zesty rice and a nice finish. Red plum skins come through in the finish, though it's also a bit tannic. Medium body with somewhat-high levels of carbonation. Quite good overall.

01-25-2011 12:07:00 | More by Thorpe429
Kkottonmouthkngz

3.65/5  rDev +2%

A: nice ruby hues, rather miniscule off white head, doesnt last very long. bit of lacing left on the sides of the glass.
S: smells faintly of tart plums, rasins, darker fruits. little smidge of sweetness, but nothing overwhelming.
T: more of the same on the palate... tart plum, interesting malt balance, it makes you kind of want to come back for more, without really explaining itself.
M: crisp carbonation with given flavors make for a pretty smooth mouthfeel, and a rather nice lingering tartness in the back of your mouth.
D: i can make my way through this with no problems, so its very drinkable, however i dont see myself drinking much more than one at a time... in the future again? definitely.

01-20-2011 04:48:33 | More by Kkottonmouthkngz
Urbancaver

3.75/5  rDev +4.7%

Appearance- pours a brilliant reddish with very little white head.

Smell- tart plum on the nose. A bit of malt on the backbone.

Taste- tart fruit flavors with a bit of malt on the back of the tongue.

Mouthfeel- Pretty good mouthfeel. Highly carbonated.

Drinkability- a bit sharp. Fairl drinkable though

01-15-2011 21:23:12 | More by Urbancaver