2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Freedom Of '78 - Short's Brewing Company

Freedom Of '78Freedom Of '78

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: surlytheduff on 12-16-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 341 | Reviews: 118 | Show All Ratings:
cadaugherty

4.43/5  rDev +8.3%

Served in Stone IPA glass- thanks kzoobrew for the chance to try the other version.

Appearance- Slightly cloudy copper, 3 fingers of off-white head. Great lacing.

Aroma- Wow the guava just pops with a lovely sweetness. The hops are there too but that fruit is front and center.

Taste- Fruit juice with a slightly bitter finish. The guava really is the centerpiece here (as it should be), and you can almost feel the rind in your mouth. There is some taste here that is reminding me of something I drank as a kid, can't put my finger on it though.

Mouth- Nice. Good carbonation not too thick or thin.

Drink- I mean seriously you can put this down like fruit juice. I feel like they hit exactly what they wanted to here and I am not complaining. I can't find my notes on the Half Acre version but I am certain that I like this one better.

12-30-2010 04:14:59 | More by cadaugherty
david131

4.43/5  rDev +8.3%

A- An ever so slightly hazy bright orange liquid with a creamy white head that has some pretty good retention.

S- Guava, honey, pine, citrus, and mint. Very aromatic. Stunning.

T- Guava, pine, mint, and some citrus. There is enough sweetness to keep the bitterness from becoming overbearing. Unique and very tasty.

M- The body has some bite to it, both from the bitterness and carbonation. The finish is a tad oily and mostly dry.

D- A delicious take on an IPA. Very enjoyable.

01-01-2011 05:41:39 | More by david131
StoutHunter

4.43/5  rDev +8.3%

I picked up a single of this at the store the other day since I haven't seen this beer around before and it's ratings were pretty good, so I decided to give this brew a try. The idea of a fruit infused IPA intrigues me. Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into a ping glass.

A- I like the label art on this beer, looks nicer and different then the other shorts labels. This beer poured a nice golden orange color with two and a half fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thing ring that left some lacing.

S- The aroma of this beer is utterly dominated by tons of citrus hops. I pick up tons of grapefruit along with some guava, as advertised.

T- The taste is that of a fruit basket that is filled with half citrus fruits and half tropical fruits, topped with a whole bunch of hop cones. The guava sticks out nicely in this brew along with some grapefruit and mango. There is a nice light malt back bone that helps tie everything together. There was a nice bitter bite at the end that went great with the all the fruit flavors in this beer.

M- Medium bodied with good carbonation and a crisp finish.

D- The alcohol is hidden very well in the brew, along with all the nice flavors and great balance. If I had two more I would drink both of them.

Overall I thought this was one awesome and different IPA. I really never thought about a fruit infused IPA, but after drinking this one I think it's an avenue more brewery's should explore. This was my first collaboration beer and it's an idea that I think is pretty cool. Great job shorts, you guys steady blow my mind.

01-19-2011 03:00:48 | More by StoutHunter
SpdKilz

4.43/5  rDev +8.3%

A big ole thanks to Kevin (kzoobrew) for this great beer I have heard about via Half Acre but now get the Short's version! Woot woot! Cheers friend!

Appearance - Pours a golden hay color into my SA Perfect Pint with about two fingers of head that dissipates at a moderate pace leaving some nice looking, full lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell - Wow, what a great odd mixture of not so much bitter grapefruit (I'm so used to bitter grapefruit citrus aromas), orange, and hops all up front. But I'll be damned if the main aroma is just NICE ripe grapefruit. A refreshing and new aroma to me to be honest. Slight malty backbone.

Taste - DAMN close to the aroma. A wonderful, RIPE grapefruit flavor up front with just a hint of orange rind (still oddly sweet rather than bitter in that respect) which then flows to a bitter hoppy and hint of pine. Slight malt, but honestly the citrus shines here. Holy (excuse my language) shit. This beer completely surprised me.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, decent carbonation, finishes a hint dry.

Drinkability - IU could drink this all night long. This is an absolute pleasant surprise. A freaking fantastic brew from Short's that I would buy six packs of all day long. Damn good.

02-10-2011 03:43:49 | More by SpdKilz
Urbancaver

4.45/5  rDev +8.8%

A very interesting brew... After having mango mama i was really excited to try this one. Pours crispy clear and beautiful with a good amount of white frothy head that disappears quickly. Smells like hops and guava. Doesn't tast all that different than daisy cutter with guava added. Fairly subtle but good. A bit weak on the mouthfeel but overall very drinkable

12-20-2010 00:18:55 | More by Urbancaver
masey222

4.45/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

Pours a slightly cloudy golden pee color not to different from a macro american pilsner with a small to non existant head and a good lacing all the way down...
It smells of the guava and mellon like sugars, delicious to me, with a tinge of really sweet floral hop...
god, it doesn't taste like anything I have ever had, the guava really comes through in the beginning with a really rich sweetness then as you swallow the hop comes through and dries out the palate and leaves a really nice and dry floral IPA taste in your mouth, all and all the beer is very well balanced and interesting to drink, an adventure in every sip...
It has a light carbonation that isn't abrasive and is crisp which really adds to the flavor and over all drink of the beer but the consistency is like tonic so a little thin for me...
It drinks well and is a very intriguing one of my more preferred fruit beers thus far.

12-29-2010 20:27:29 | More by masey222
ColdPoncho

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - body is a very nice orange color, hard to see through, with a sizable frothy white head.

S - You can smell the guava from feet away. That's complimented nicely by citrus and piney hops.

T - strong hops up front, mostly grapefruit, and then a touch of guava sweetness on the back. bitterness lingers in the aftertaste. Really well balanced, nothing too fancy.

M - a good body, not hugely robust, but not thin, somewhere in the middle. It's hard to keep this in my mouth long enough to figure it out. I wouldn't call it creamy, but its good.

D - I think this is crazy drinkable. It tastes great, and isn't too big or anything.

01-16-2011 19:09:13 | More by ColdPoncho
mikesgroove

South Carolina

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

chilled out with this one this afternoon before a busy day of running around. served cold and poured into a pint glass.

nice pour with a great amber color and a smooth, even head of white that rose to about two inches before fading back down and coating the glass with a good amount of lace.

aroma of deep citrus hops, loads of grapefruit and orange, hints of lemon and pineapple, really a well made ipa. smooth and medium body let the flavor really hit home nicely and a nice smooth finish was loaded with resin filled citrus flavors and loads of dryness that soaked the water out of your palate.

overall really nicely done and a very solid ipa. i was quite impressed with how drinkable it actually is.

02-05-2011 22:42:27 | More by mikesgroove
tsmokin

4.48/5  rDev +9.5%

first of all this beer is not retired!! they have this every year since its creation.(2010)

bottled 4-9-13
poured 4-17-13
this is one of my top 10 from short's if not top 5. the smell of this beer is amazing. nothing quite like it. the taste is fruity from what i can only asume is guava. not your traditional IPA for sure. I can only say good things about this brew and company. if there is a bad reveiw of this beer they either 1. got an infected bottle(which doesnt happen much anymore)2. they dont like the taste of guava 3. or they got a really old bottle that wasnt refridgerated.

but as for me i think this beer is just outstanding.

also thanks half acre, dont know much about you guys but hopefully that will change

04-17-2013 19:48:04 | More by tsmokin
MichPaul

4.5/5  rDev +10%

I don't think I have ever had a straight up 4.5 review, this is my first.
This pours a cloudy orange with minimal head or lacing. I could use more head/lacing but I won't knock it on that. It's still beautiful.
What a great aroma! I can almost smell it as I pour. That guava and the hops mix so well. Very citrusy, enough to make it a perfect Summer beer.
Taste is a mix of sweet, sour bitterness and has an aftertaste that lingers in a good way.
About medium on the carbonation, gives it a nice mouthfeel that goes down quite smooth.
Overall, this beer is bitter sweet in two ways. Taste, and the fact that it will probably not be back for quite some time. I loved this beer and can't wait for the next time I will see it.

06-02-2012 18:53:44 | More by MichPaul
StormKing47

4.53/5  rDev +10.8%

Just received fresh from regular trading partner erikkoppin. Thanks Erik, had the Half Acre version beyond excited for the Short's version. Love everything they do let's see how this one is...

A- A very sexy and appealing light amber color with a pale golden hue. Simply spectacular looking, but is missing an expected head. It's a very thin white head that has almost no fluff to it. Even so I can hardly wait to dive in.

S- Wow! God Damn I love the smell of this one it's simply amazing. It gives off a very sweet aroma of guava, kiwi and strawberry. It's making me drool and reminds me of a mild summer day on a beach. The tropical aromas have transported me. As it warms I am getting more and more strawberry, guava, kiwi and fruit skins with a light lemon rind followed by some subtle piney hops and a touch of caramel malt. Unbelievable smelling concoction.

T- An explosion of guava is spectacular and loved the whole way through. It's an undeniable tropical take and Short's has nailed it. The guava is right in your face and has a great sweetness reminiscent of succulent strawberries and kiwi fruits. At the finish I pick up a great bitter hop taste that is piney and detectable. After some warming I get a touch of caramel sweetness that melds with the tropical/citrus and piney hops to create a knock out beer from the masters of fruit.

M- Has a nice stickiness to it and and a great all around coating that isn't syrupy, but smooth. A great tongue sitter that lets you taste all of the nuances of this one. Love the feel and it has a nice faint tingle, but I would have liked a little more it's a little on the light side.

D- Absofuckinglutely! It's astonishingly smooth and light enough to session. The abv is masterfully hidden and gives off no heat. All day and night and twice on Sunday.

A home run in my opinion from a very under rated brewery that catches shit for no reason. They brew some killer beers and continue to push the envelope each time they bottle a new one. Come on agave wheat 12ozs! Thanks again Erik.

12-23-2010 00:47:34 | More by StormKing47
homebrew311

4.55/5  rDev +11.2%

A: brilliant gold/orange clear color, thick foamy white head, splotchy foamy lacing

S: nice fruity bouquet with lots of tropical guava, peaches, and citra hops. It's difficult to distinguish between the hops and the fruit because they marry quite well. Very nice aroma.

T: bright fruity flavors up front: guava, peach, orange, and grapefruit. Some bready malts come into play mid palate, and some ho bitterness on the finish. Very nice balance. Wish I had gotten a chance to try the Half Acre version.

MF: medium body, spritzy carbonation, refreshing

D: this beer has remarkable drinkability, nice and crisp, good fruity notes, balance well with the bitterness.

02-16-2011 06:11:42 | More by homebrew311
pmoore311

4.58/5  rDev +12%

Poured from a 12oz bottle on 12/23/10

Appearance - fantastic copper color, white head, and some nice lacing on the glass

Smell - this is where this beer really stood out for me, awesome scent of tropical fruit, you can really smell the guava, and piney hops.

Taste - this is a very unique IPA, tropical fruits shine through with an almost pine like aftertaste and dry finish, very tasty indeed, and unlike any IPA I have had before.

Mouthfeel - fantastic bubbles that compliment the style.

Drinkability - I could easily drink many of these in one session, the tropical fruit and hops are not overly ruinous on the pallete.

Overall this is a truly unique take on the style, and something I hope these breweries continue to brew. Truly great collaboration.

12-24-2010 17:19:57 | More by pmoore311
thinkinflicka

4.58/5  rDev +12%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

pours a clear orange little white head that faded fast

smell is sweet and tropical, fruity hops,not a strong malt presence

lots of sweetness from the guva mixes well with the earthy piney hops,lots of citus and just so slightly tart

average ipa mouthfeel

I truly fucking love this beer
I love ipas but a lot of them are so simaler i have goten bored with them, this is a nice welcome change and a great take on the style.
one of the better offerings from shorts.

03-17-2014 23:13:13 | More by thinkinflicka
Gorgoroth

4.6/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Purchased for $1.99 at Peter's Imports in Grandville. Shared with BA mermatinger, from notes taken on 01/14/11.

Presentation: Typical layout for a Short's label -- bright colors and missing key information, heh -- but this is evidently a different artist than the one who normally does the painting for Short's. After some investigation, I found a bottled-on date of 11/24/10 on the glass of the bottle.

Appearance: Pours into my 24oz oversize snifter a deep gold with amber tinge, sparse but vigorous carbonation, very large bubbles which die down a bit after a minute or so. A frothy, dense white head blossoms unevenly and quickly dissipates to an uneven ring with a small rocky island in the middle and light, soapy film swirled around the whole surface.

Smell: Lots of fresh, citrusy hops hit the nose and, of course, guava. Other sweet tropical fruit and grapefruit are evident and almost overtake the hoppiness.

Taste: The taste is an incredible assault of hops and tropical fruit. Citrusy, zesty, oily hop bitterness is balanced and foiled by sweet and citrusy-bitter tropical fruit (grapefruit, guava, papaya, lime) with an underlying sour, lemony tang. In a way, it tastes like drinking a perfect mix of fresh IPA and grapefruit juice.

Mouthfeel: The body is medium and crisp while the carbonation is very light. There is a juicy, mouth-watering sourness played against a bitter tang while a dry bitterness lingers on the palate but does not overpower. Tangy, citrusy bitterness remains, like after taking a big swig of fresh grapefruit juice.

Drinkability & Final Thoughts: This is one damn drinkable beer. It is complex and bitter but also sweet and tangy. the sweetness is not overwhelming or cloying, but rather balanced perfectly with bitterness and dryness. Very delicious, and it would be so perfect and refreshing in the hot summer months -- I truly hope I can find a bottle that taste as fresh as this come June or July! It's awesome to see a great Michigan brewery with limited distribution team up with a great Chicago brewery also of limited distribution, and produce such a great beer. This beer is a perfect balance of an amazingly well-made, straightforward style -- American IPA -- with a bit of signature experimentation provided by these forward-thinking brewers. I don't know if there are many other IPAs brewed with fruit, but if they're half as good as this one, they're worth a try. This one gets a huge stamp of approval from me (and I've already had a couple more since this review). I hope to keep seeing this beer around because a two bucks, I'll keep buying and drinking!

01-17-2011 22:17:31 | More by Gorgoroth
Drk93TT

4.65/5  rDev +13.7%

Picked up as part of a mixed sixer from the good 'ol Beer Baron.

Poured into a regular ol pint glass at the casa.

A: Light Orange with minimal head on the pour.. has some lacing but nothing crazy.

S: Can smell the bitter fruit and alcohol scent is apparent.. up front smells like dark fruit.

T: Wow. Hits you right away with bitter fruit and fresh pineapple notes (delicious)/citrus/then you can pick up the guava fruity-lingering flavor

M: Complex and fruit flavored, definitly picking up the different flavors in this brew.. balanced rather well with the hops.. Blown away but the complexity in this bottle!

O: Awesome. Another A+ Beer for an already impressive brewery.. Will definitely pick it up again next time ! Its a must try! Not a staple of the American IPA style, but a brilliant and well put together brew.

06-19-2012 03:34:07 | More by Drk93TT
TheCook

4.72/5  rDev +15.4%

Let me start out by saying I love this beer.

Now let's get down to the nitty-gritty. I am not a professional beer reviewer by any means so bear with my barbaric first attempt!

appearance: light reddish, orange color with a thick head that settled down after a few minutes into a nice frothy layer on top of the glass.

smell: very fruity. The guava over powers everything else.

Taste: starts out very earthy, but finishes with a very refreshing, almost like you popped a piece of gum in your mouth citrus flavor.

Mouthfeel: velvety smooth.

drinkability: if it was readily available very much so but I am told I just drank one of the last bottles around..and this makes me sad as I would really like a second!

All in all I hope they brew up another batch soon!

02-03-2011 05:07:18 | More by TheCook
brew3crew

4.93/5  rDev +20.5%

A-Hazy orange in color. Nice head that dissipated halfway through
S-The guava stands out right away and you can smell it when you step into the room, great smell
T-A lot of bitter hops. Great combination of bitter and sweetness.
M-Very smooth and clean finish.
D-ridiculously drinkable. Dangerous almost

This is prolly the best IPA I have ever had.

01-17-2011 01:46:50 | More by brew3crew