Follow our progress ...

Added by surlytheduff on 12-16-2010

firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last
Reviews: 136 | Ratings: 512
4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

I don't think I have ever had a straight up 4.5 review, this is my first.
This pours a cloudy orange with minimal head or lacing. I could use more head/lacing but I won't knock it on that. It's still beautiful.
What a great aroma! I can almost smell it as I pour. That guava and the hops mix so well. Very citrusy, enough to make it a perfect Summer beer.
Taste is a mix of sweet, sour bitterness and has an aftertaste that lingers in a good way.
About medium on the carbonation, gives it a nice mouthfeel that goes down quite smooth.
Overall, this beer is bitter sweet in two ways. Taste, and the fact that it will probably not be back for quite some time. I loved this beer and can't wait for the next time I will see it.

4.52/5  rDev +11.1%

Just received fresh from regular trading partner erikkoppin. Thanks Erik, had the Half Acre version beyond excited for the Short's version. Love everything they do let's see how this one is...

A- A very sexy and appealing light amber color with a pale golden hue. Simply spectacular looking, but is missing an expected head. It's a very thin white head that has almost no fluff to it. Even so I can hardly wait to dive in.

S- Wow! God Damn I love the smell of this one it's simply amazing. It gives off a very sweet aroma of guava, kiwi and strawberry. It's making me drool and reminds me of a mild summer day on a beach. The tropical aromas have transported me. As it warms I am getting more and more strawberry, guava, kiwi and fruit skins with a light lemon rind followed by some subtle piney hops and a touch of caramel malt. Unbelievable smelling concoction.

T- An explosion of guava is spectacular and loved the whole way through. It's an undeniable tropical take and Short's has nailed it. The guava is right in your face and has a great sweetness reminiscent of succulent strawberries and kiwi fruits. At the finish I pick up a great bitter hop taste that is piney and detectable. After some warming I get a touch of caramel sweetness that melds with the tropical/citrus and piney hops to create a knock out beer from the masters of fruit.

M- Has a nice stickiness to it and and a great all around coating that isn't syrupy, but smooth. A great tongue sitter that lets you taste all of the nuances of this one. Love the feel and it has a nice faint tingle, but I would have liked a little more it's a little on the light side.

D- Absofuckinglutely! It's astonishingly smooth and light enough to session. The abv is masterfully hidden and gives off no heat. All day and night and twice on Sunday.

A home run in my opinion from a very under rated brewery that catches shit for no reason. They brew some killer beers and continue to push the envelope each time they bottle a new one. Come on agave wheat 12ozs! Thanks again Erik.

4.54/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

pours a clear orange little white head that faded fast

smell is sweet and tropical, fruity hops,not a strong malt presence

lots of sweetness from the guva mixes well with the earthy piney hops,lots of citus and just so slightly tart

average ipa mouthfeel

I truly fucking love this beer
I love ipas but a lot of them are so simaler i have goten bored with them, this is a nice welcome change and a great take on the style.
one of the better offerings from shorts.

4.55/5  rDev +11.8%

A: brilliant gold/orange clear color, thick foamy white head, splotchy foamy lacing

S: nice fruity bouquet with lots of tropical guava, peaches, and citra hops. It's difficult to distinguish between the hops and the fruit because they marry quite well. Very nice aroma.

T: bright fruity flavors up front: guava, peach, orange, and grapefruit. Some bready malts come into play mid palate, and some ho bitterness on the finish. Very nice balance. Wish I had gotten a chance to try the Half Acre version.

MF: medium body, spritzy carbonation, refreshing

D: this beer has remarkable drinkability, nice and crisp, good fruity notes, balance well with the bitterness.

4.6/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Purchased for $1.99 at Peter's Imports in Grandville. Shared with BA mermatinger, from notes taken on 01/14/11.

Presentation: Typical layout for a Short's label -- bright colors and missing key information, heh -- but this is evidently a different artist than the one who normally does the painting for Short's. After some investigation, I found a bottled-on date of 11/24/10 on the glass of the bottle.

Appearance: Pours into my 24oz oversize snifter a deep gold with amber tinge, sparse but vigorous carbonation, very large bubbles which die down a bit after a minute or so. A frothy, dense white head blossoms unevenly and quickly dissipates to an uneven ring with a small rocky island in the middle and light, soapy film swirled around the whole surface.

Smell: Lots of fresh, citrusy hops hit the nose and, of course, guava. Other sweet tropical fruit and grapefruit are evident and almost overtake the hoppiness.

Taste: The taste is an incredible assault of hops and tropical fruit. Citrusy, zesty, oily hop bitterness is balanced and foiled by sweet and citrusy-bitter tropical fruit (grapefruit, guava, papaya, lime) with an underlying sour, lemony tang. In a way, it tastes like drinking a perfect mix of fresh IPA and grapefruit juice.

Mouthfeel: The body is medium and crisp while the carbonation is very light. There is a juicy, mouth-watering sourness played against a bitter tang while a dry bitterness lingers on the palate but does not overpower. Tangy, citrusy bitterness remains, like after taking a big swig of fresh grapefruit juice.

Drinkability & Final Thoughts: This is one damn drinkable beer. It is complex and bitter but also sweet and tangy. the sweetness is not overwhelming or cloying, but rather balanced perfectly with bitterness and dryness. Very delicious, and it would be so perfect and refreshing in the hot summer months -- I truly hope I can find a bottle that taste as fresh as this come June or July! It's awesome to see a great Michigan brewery with limited distribution team up with a great Chicago brewery also of limited distribution, and produce such a great beer. This beer is a perfect balance of an amazingly well-made, straightforward style -- American IPA -- with a bit of signature experimentation provided by these forward-thinking brewers. I don't know if there are many other IPAs brewed with fruit, but if they're half as good as this one, they're worth a try. This one gets a huge stamp of approval from me (and I've already had a couple more since this review). I hope to keep seeing this beer around because a two bucks, I'll keep buying and drinking!

4.61/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

One of my favorite ipas. The guava works perfectly and the smell is amazing. My favorite shorts beer by far. Only complaint is this year the back end if the taste seems slightly off this year from years past. Still a great beer, highly recommended from any ipa fan.

4.68/5  rDev +15%

Let me start out by saying I love this beer.

Now let's get down to the nitty-gritty. I am not a professional beer reviewer by any means so bear with my barbaric first attempt!

appearance: light reddish, orange color with a thick head that settled down after a few minutes into a nice frothy layer on top of the glass.

smell: very fruity. The guava over powers everything else.

Taste: starts out very earthy, but finishes with a very refreshing, almost like you popped a piece of gum in your mouth citrus flavor.

Mouthfeel: velvety smooth.

drinkability: if it was readily available very much so but I am told I just drank one of the last bottles around..and this makes me sad as I would really like a second!

All in all I hope they brew up another batch soon!

4.72/5  rDev +16%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Fantastic and underrated beer. The guava and citrus dominate the smell and come through in the taste, and the hops give it a nice crisp finish. Outstanding summer IPA.

4.84/5  rDev +18.9%

One of the best beers I have ever had. Right when you open the bottle you smell the guava and it is refreshing. It brings a sweet flavor that makes it the perfect summer beer without adding fruit like orange or lemon. When you taste it, it shocks you with the flavor. First it's fresh and fruity then the hops kick in for a distinct finish. I thought t was very cool that it was a partnership beer in Chicago especially since Short's does not sell outside of Michigan.

4.86/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Poured from bottle into trusty tulip. Color is a bright, shiny orange with a bubbly white two finger head that dissolves to a soapy cap with some lacing. The smell of guava is the first to reach the nose (more prominent this year than last, if my memory serves) then coppery pine, citrus. Grass and floral notes.
The taste, not surprisingly, is juicy guava; sweet, juicy guava and citrus. There's a hoppy bite on the end to let you know it's an IPA. Delicious, refreshing, and makes you wish it was sub-5% so as to be sessionable. The aroma coming from the empty bottle alone is enough to water the mouth.

4.92/5  rDev +20.9%

A-Hazy orange in color. Nice head that dissipated halfway through
S-The guava stands out right away and you can smell it when you step into the room, great smell
T-A lot of bitter hops. Great combination of bitter and sweetness.
M-Very smooth and clean finish.
D-ridiculously drinkable. Dangerous almost

This is prolly the best IPA I have ever had.

firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last