Freedom Of '78 - Short's Brewing Company

Freedom Of '78Freedom Of '78

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: surlytheduff on 12-16-2010)
4.2/5  rDev +2.9%

"talkin' to some joe
hangin' out shootin' shit
tries to tell me somethin'
i play it off legit"

Poured down the center of the DFH signature glass. Bone white head, standing two fingers tall, works its way back at a moderate clip. The sides of the glass are cakes by a sheet of moth eaten lacing. A nice cap remains throughout. Body is clear and bright, orange in color. Near text book appearance for an IPA.

Pure Guava. Fruit just oozes from the glass. Even with the glass sitting at arms length the Guava, citrus and tropical fruit scents are overwhelming my nose. The fruit does not become too overwhelming, a healthy dose of pine and pith help even out the hop bouquet. Subtle pale malt aroma falls beneath the massive blanket of hop.

With such a pungent hop aroma, it is a forgone conclusion the the hops will absolutely dominate the palate. While this is absolutely correct, how the hop flavor is presented is a bit surprising. Strong pine and pith flavors sting the tongue as the beer rolls across the tongue. The guava and citrus flavors emerge from beneath, as roles are seemingly reversed from what can be observed in the nose. You can really pick up similarities to other beers from the breweries involved. Familiar flavors from Daisy Cutter and Huma Lupa are standing out to me at various times as I enjoy the beer.

Medium bodied. There is a bit of an oily texture left on the tongue. The bitterness balances the sweetness rather well creating a bit of a drier finish.

I am a fan of this beer. Easily my favorite IPA that is coming out of Short's. I hope we see this one annually. Freedom of 78 is just a pleasure to drink. It would be no problem to drink a few of these in a sitting.

kzoobrew, Dec 17, 2010

adamant1912, Nov 17, 2011

alelover, Mar 15, 2014

Mphis, Apr 23, 2014
4.43/5  rDev +8.6%

Bottle poured into a pint glass. This is a golden copper color with a decent half inch of head. Smell is a nice mix of citrus-hops and guava, making for an interesting balance. Taste is crisp mix of hops and guava, well balanced between the bitterness of the hops and sweetness of the guava. This is like a tropical take on an IPA, something you can imagine sipping outside in the summer. Excellent drinkability.

webmanspidey, Dec 27, 2010

KCBeerNerd, Mar 23, 2014

jmich24, Apr 14, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -14.2%

amalburg, May 03, 2014

seplo, Oct 30, 2012
3.78/5  rDev -7.4%

Bought from Spartan Spirits a long time ago.

Had this rating on my comp for some time forgot to post it.

A&S: Very strong sweet smelling (smells like guava), which balances nicely with a citrus hoppyness. Cloudy orange colored beer, with unfiltered elements. Thin fizzy white head that fizzles out quickly.

T&M: Very sweet (guava) upfront, fades to sour midway through. The classic IPA bitterness comes through late. Medium bodied that feels pretty coarse, low to medium amounts of carbonation.

O: Highly drinkable, but I feel like I got sick of it midway though the bottle. I thought this was a nice take on the IPA.

minterro, Jul 23, 2013
3.93/5  rDev -3.7%

This pours a slightly hazy light copper orange with a one finger head, good retention, and nice lacing. On the nose there is a peculiar citrus flavor I'm not familiar with, which I'm guessing is the guava. A strange nose, quite different than the grapefruit/orange standard for the style. In the mouth there is a good deal of orange flavoring but there is a nuttiness underneath that, again, probably the guava. It's a medium bodied beer and the hop bitterness makes for a long finish, with some of that nuttiness carrying over also. This is a peculiar DIPA, the first unique one I've had in a while. I'm not sure how I feel about the guava, but it certainly is different and that's welcome in a world of grapefruit bombs.

EricCioe, Mar 04, 2011
3.58/5  rDev -12.3%

Thanks to kdub87 for this bottle.

Pours clear orange into a pint glass, producing two fingers of just barely off-white head. This fades gently, settling into a thin cap.

One moment I think I smell a classic IPA, citrus hops with a touch of pine, then I am sniffing a glass of tropical fruit juice. Very interesting aroma here, and quite pleasant.

I don't think the flavors come together quite as well as the smell does. Again we have hops and tropical fruit, but I almost feel like the hop bitterness is fighting the sweetness, rather than complementing it. Certainly not bad, but it seems a little messy.

Light to medium body, with nice carbonation, this is a pleasant feeling beer.

Drinkability is fine, just limited a bit by the unusual flavors. One is good, but I'd prefer to follow it with a more traditional IPA.

Pellinore1, Jan 24, 2011

4.75/5  rDev +16.4%

ROBSTARR, May 03, 2013

dbc5, Apr 03, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

Served on draught at Ashley's, Westland, MI., in a pint glass.

A- pours a clear light copper hue, not much head or lacing, with a thin layer of residual bubbles on top.

S- big guava attack, with a strong swell of high grade sour marijuana odor, followed by a grainy malt note, then a crisp, strong hoppy finish. A bit more grainy/malty smelling than a bottle offering, but a huge green, earthy, fruity nose. This smells awesome. I could hang out with my nose in the glass for a while.

T- I love this beer. I was a big fan in 2010 with the initial release, and with this, I am truly excited that they have released it again. Strong guava bite with a big tropical fruit palate- think mango, passion fruit, Hawaiian papaya, sharp pineapple notes. Full, but not too strong hop notes- not too dry, but still prevalent, followed by a mellow, malty grain finish. Extremely well balanced- not too much fruit to put against the grain, very tasty.

M- very smooth with appropriate modest carbonation. Nothing overpowering, a great brew.

O- a great beer. I am not big on beers with a fruit ingredient, but this is truly unique, especially for a Midwest brew. The guava works well with the hop character without being overpowering. A true dark horse among American IPA's. One of the best. Very drinkable. Seasonally appropriate, though I think I could drink this all year. I hope Short's eventually makes this a routine seasonal. I am truly thankful they brought this back.

SaisonRichBiere, Apr 20, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

I don't think I have ever had a straight up 4.5 review, this is my first.
This pours a cloudy orange with minimal head or lacing. I could use more head/lacing but I won't knock it on that. It's still beautiful.
What a great aroma! I can almost smell it as I pour. That guava and the hops mix so well. Very citrusy, enough to make it a perfect Summer beer.
Taste is a mix of sweet, sour bitterness and has an aftertaste that lingers in a good way.
About medium on the carbonation, gives it a nice mouthfeel that goes down quite smooth.
Overall, this beer is bitter sweet in two ways. Taste, and the fact that it will probably not be back for quite some time. I loved this beer and can't wait for the next time I will see it.

MichPaul, Jun 02, 2012