Short's The Good Samaritan - Short's Brewing Company

Beer added by: webmanspidey on 12-28-2010

Ratings: 101 | Reviews: 54
Reviews by techfed87:
3.82/5  rDev +10.7%

Pours a nice, sturdy head. Color is a darker amber. Smell is of a nice Belgian.

First taste is exactly what a nice Belgian ale should be: well rounded, tart, and full bodied. It's an excellent beer, although it was a bit different than what I expected it to be.

3.1/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A_Murky reddish brown with a thin off white head. Not much lacing.

S_Sour apple,caramel malt.

T_Same as nose. Twangy sour apple dominates the palate.

M_Medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

D_More than one would be a chore.

Overall this aint terrible but its not for me.

3.52/5  rDev +2%

Notes from February 2011

A - Pours a deep amber/red with one finger of quickly dissipating head.

S - Quite fruity. Dark fruits and banna as well. Does smell a bit like a Belgian dubbel. Not bad.

T - Similar to smell with the addition of apple juice. Taste is a notch below the smell.

M - Medium mouthfeel with decent carbonation initially, though carbonation seems low overall.

O - A bit "meh" overall for me. Not bad, but not particularly desirable either.

3.89/5  rDev +12.8%

A- This one is truly amber-red in color, about a half inch of creamy head which quickly dissipates, a little lacing. Carbonation seems slightly off.

S- Is slightly of hops, a light malt, and a nice apple cider aroma.

TM- This one has a strong amber ale taste, being smooth and slightly hoppy upfront ,and then ending with a crisp clean apple finish.

D- This one is really drinkable and is very enjoyable. Nothing extremely rememorable, but a nice beer none the less.

3.28/5  rDev -4.9%

12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter. Thanks to MarcatGSB for this!

Appearance - Deep clear ruby body with a decent head. Leaves moderate lacing around the surface. A classy looking brew, at least.

Smell - Well. That is interesting. Like roasted apples. Deep dark roasted apples. Nothing bright about it. Intriguing smell.

Taste - After the intriguing smell, there isn't much flavor. No hops up front. Some maltiness to the body, but the apple cider is what gives it flavor. Behind the apple cider is an odd earthiness (stolen from multiple reviewers, but the description is spot on). It's bitter, but not hop bitter. It leaves an interesting flavor lingering on the palate. Not unwelcome, but not good.

Mouthfeel - Thin and thinner than I expected. A bit dry as it has almost no residual sugars. Pretty high in carbonation.

Overall - This definitely seems like a beer to be consumed on a fall evening in any other state but Florida. Not sweet enough to be cider and not malty or hoppy enough to be its own stand-alone style of beer. It's an interesting blend, but not something I'd seek out.

3.6/5  rDev +4.3%

Split bottle poured into my Captain Lawrence stemmed glass.

Appearance: Reddish brown color with a one finger light tan head that recedes to a cap.

Smell: Kind of clove-y, almost reminds me of a weizenbock. Fruity.

Taste: I can certainly taste the influence of the apple cider. Actually a little bit funky in the flavors. The cider seemingly plays a larger role than the underlying beer.

Mouthfeel: Over carbonated in my opinion. Medium mouthfeel.

Overall: Interesting idea for a beer and gave me a cool idea for a homebrew, but I feel the apple cider was too strong. There was a big bite to this beer, not the booze but something really hit my tongue hard with this one. Not bad and certainly an interesting experience.

3.39/5  rDev -1.7%

Pours with a massive amount of carbonation and huge head that fills the glass. Head lingers for many minutes and leaves a thin trace on top and lacing all around the glass. Color is deep reddish brown, very cool looking beer. Aromas are faint of apple and spice, burnt caramel. Flavor is decent, nice body and fruit sweetness, the finish is prickly, lots of carbonation, serves well to balance the sweeter malt and cider flavors. Odd mouthfeel, but a tasty brew.

3.54/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured from 12oz bottle. Thanks to VinnieVanGogh for this bottle.

A- Pours a coppery amber color into my glass. Half finger eggshell white head shows poor retention. Light spotty lacing on the glass.

S- Taking the first whiff there were nice caramel malt tones with hints of belgian yeast and some bubblegum undertones. Almost from the ending on the front though it has a apple cider backing that takes over the nose and finally fades into more of an applesauce like aroma with hints of alcohol. I personally found this to be very inviting.

T- Caramel malts show up in the front with a light darker sweeter fruit undertone. There is something else that I keep tasting but I can't place my finger on it quite all the way. It really doesn't matter because the apple that I was smelling comes out in a apple cider like flavor in the rest of the beer dominating everything it touches. Light alcohol presence on the back of the beer.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation is a little lacking for the style I would say. Apples and more apples with hints of cider are left on the palate. Aftertaste is light alcohol, apple cider, and hints of caramel malts. Flavors were balanced to the label I would say with the apple profile being highlighted. No real off flavors at all when drinking this beer. Light alcohol drying on the palate from this beer.

D- This was an interesting beer. Not really sure what to think of it. The flavors at times going on were a little muted and this went with the aroma as well. Short's didn't knock this one out of the park but I still liked it.

3.5/5  rDev +1.4%

My third beer of the night (with many more on the way) thanks to Kevin (kzoobrew). A damn good BA and guy. Cheers!

Appearance - Pours a copper/brown color into my SA Perfect Pint. About a finger of head is achieved with a decent pour that dissipates almost immediately leaving minimal lacing.

Smell - Not what I was expecting after reading the description of this beer. As someone mentioned below, this smells more like a Dubbel with fruity spices than an amber ale with apple cider. Obviously there is a apple cider aroma, brown sugar, and some caramel.

Taste - One of the more "off" beers from Short's to be honest. Whenever I have a beer by them I expect it to taste exactly as described, and the vast majority of the time, it is exactly that. This time there is a apple cider flavor up front (you can most certainly taste the apples) however, it does have some strange Dubbel characteristics. Cloves, other spices, esters, banana, etc. An odd tasting beer that I was not expecting.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, lower carbonation.

Drinkability - An interesting beer from Short's (what beer isn't) and one I probably would not want to try again. Still, as always, glad I was able to try this!

2.68/5  rDev -22.3%

12 oz bottle poured into a Sierra Nevada tulip.
No date or info available.

Thanks to Beerwolf77 for hooking it up with another Shorts brew!

A - Beautiful ruby amber in color, it's pretty clear and topped by a short-lived tan head. Low retention and small, patchy lace.

S - The nose is appealing with a bouquet of apples popping fourth first. Toasted malts back that up and feature some bready Munich characteristics. Belgian yeast is noticeable but not really open. Rather, it's got a very dusty, dirty clay scent. Spices fill the nose.

T - Muddled together, the malts and Belgian yeast overtake the apple cider and fight for attention. Oddly sweet yet off with a very dirty, dry cocoa and heavy metallic finish. The more I sip it the less I enjoy it.

M - Full-bodied and highly carbonated to the point of distraction, lingering on the tongue is not an option for this beer. It' too spritzy and removes the flavor components. The finish has a hint of vinegar-like apple sourness but it's mainly marred by metal.

O - I really hate to sound like a broken record here because I dig Shorts innovation and uniqueness but this beer seems to have the same off-putting off qualities I seem to gather in a lot of their beers. Maybe it's just a "house" thing with them, but the yeast doesn't seem right at all in this one.

3.42/5  rDev -0.9%

poured a 12oz bottle into a pint glass

appearance - light brown, small head, on an aggressive pour, head only hung around for about a minute or so, light light brown head, no real lacing

smell - smell of malts, yeast, apples and slight banana, smelled great to me at the time

taste - taste was a bit lack luster, an almost bready apple flavor up front(a very sweet apple) then faded into a slightly bitter malt with apple pie spices(clove was prominant to me and maybe a bit of cinnamon), and an after taste of apples, nothing that knocked my socks off

mouthfeel - had a pleasant thickness to it, almost like thin phlegm(again pleasant not in a disgusting sense) the mild carbonation did little to lighten the mouthfeel, a bit chewey, would have liked more carbonation on this one

drinkability - i could see myself going through a few of these in a night if there were no other offerings that tickled my fancy but this isnt a sit down and pound kind of beer for me, id take my time with it since it wasnt so delicious i wanted a lot but wasnt so bad that i wanted to get it done with ASAP

this one seriouly would have been perfect on a cool fall day, of all the shorts i had today this was far and away my favorite. poured into a pint glass and consumed on 4/25/11

a really nice dark brown pour with light notes floating around the edges of the glass. small head of tan gives way to some really nice lacing through out the glass.

aroma is of apple cider, sugary notes, plums, spices, and hints of deep earthy hops. you could really pick up the bakers apples as it starts to warm. really quite nicely done i have to admit. smooth, with the abv a non issue the warmth from the apples plays off against plum and spiced notes and seem to come together quite nicely in the finish offering a dry but smooth final note.

overall this was really well done, not too sure on the style but just as a beer it was excellent.

3.45/5  rDev 0%

split single from spartan spirit.

S&A: lively looking dark red colored beer. Head is off white and dies quickly to just ring. Smell is pretty similar to the description: apples. but there is also hints of caramel.

T&M: iron tasting at the end at first but it goes away after a taste or two. Besides that very similar to the nose. Overpowering sour apple taste, with hints of caramel. On the low side of bodied, and on the medium to high side of carbonation.

O: not really good, and easily forgettable.

3.75/5  rDev +8.7%

Bottle courtesy of sarro - thanks, Kyle!

Pours a lightly hazy, deep, ruddy, copper color with a one-finger light tan head. Head retention is moderate to light, as is lacing. Caramel malt, Belgian yeast, some coriander and red delicious apples are present in the aroma. I didn't know this had Belgian yeast until cracking it open. Dark candi sugar, coriander, plum, caramel malt and light apple juice mix with the strong Belgian yeast flavor. Moderately sweet on the finish with lingering apple and dark fruit flavors. Alcohol is noticeable, but not distracting. Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation and a very light alcohol warming. Drinkability isn't too bad for the style - I enjoy this quite a bit more than many other American attempts at dark Belgians. Really nice beer from Short's, overall.

3.62/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle courtesy of cmurren 25, shared on New Years Eve with him and therealnomayo. Went a little something like this...

A- This one shows up a nice amber color with an orangish/light brown hue. Has a very faint stream of bubbles showing almost no carb and leading to a razor thin off-white head. A little reminiscent of a fresh apple cider (go figure it's blended with it).

S- A very pleasant and welcoming aroma of crisp apples, English toffee and some caramel sweetness. As it warms it continues to put forth the same aromas of almost a caramel candied apple, granny smith apples and a faint warm apple cider aroma with cinnamon. Very pleasant smelling.

T- The smell was better, but still a very intriguing taste. Nice crisp apples and caramel sweetness up front. The finish is a nice toffee and some fresh squeezed apple cider. Very enjoyable, but somewhat off-putting with the faint tanginess.

M- It's heavy and tangy for an amber, with almost no carbonation. I wanted some more sharpness from the cider, but it just wasn't there. Not really coating or syrupy just crisp and smooth.

D- A great twist on an amber and very enjoyable just not exactly what I wanted. Would have liked a little more tartness or slight sourness like a refined apple cider, but the malt overpowered any chance of that.

Another crazy concoction from the mad scientists at Shorts. Keep them coming!

3.61/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a bottle of Short's The Good Samaritan last week for $2.09 at The Lager Mill. I missed out on this beer last year so instead off making the same mistake twice I decided to pick up a bottle this year, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date but I know it's fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- I like the label on this beer, it's a little more detailed then most labels from Short's. It poured a nice looking dark amber red color that turned into a nice ruby red color when held to the light. It had two and a half fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thin layer that stayed till the end and left a little lacing. This is a pretty good looking beer both the color and head look nice.

S- The first thing that I pick up in the aroma of this beer is loads of malts that are pretty biscuity and a little bready and they smell like they have a low amount of sweetness. After that I pick up some spices and yeast. Towards the end I pick up a nice caramel aroma with some green apple cider at the end. I thought that it would have a stronger apple aroma but the caramel is a nice added touch to the aroma.

T- The taste starts off similar to the aroma with loads of malts that taste much sweeter then they smelled with a high amount of medium sweetness and it imparted some heavy biscuit and bread flavors along with some caramel. After that comes the apple cider that lends a light cider flavor which is a little tart and sweet, there is also a little bit of spices and yeast. The finish is full of biscuit malts with hardly any bitterness and a biscuity and slightly cider like aftertaste. The flavor was good but I was hoping for more apple cider flavor to balance out all those malts, the malts seem to stick out the most.

M- Smooth, medium bodied, with a medium amount of carbonation. I got no complaints when it comes to the mouthfeel, it fits this beer well.

Overall I thought this was a slightly above average beer that was good, but it didn't have enough apple cider flavors to balance out all those malts. This beer had OK drinkability, it went down fairly smooth but I don't think I would want to follow it up with another. What I liked most about this beer was the look and mouthfeel, the color was really nice and the head is much better then most of the Short's beers I have had in the past, and the mouthfeel worked well with this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the lightness of the apple cider aspect in the flavor and aroma, if it was a little more intense and appley I think it would balance out the malts better and give this beer the extra apple kick it needs. I may get this beer again if they make it next year but it isn't one of those must have short's brews for me. This beer is worth giving a try, the lighter cider flavors may work for some people. I am glad I tried this beer but as far as Short's brews go this is in the middle of the pack, it kind of lacks some of the intense flavors that some of their better experimental beers have, but I did think the combination of an Amber Ale and apple cider has some promise. I would just like to have seen more of the apple cider flavors to go up against the heavy biscuit malt flavor this beer had. You can't win them all but Short's sure does try to.

2.73/5  rDev -20.9%

Good Samaritan pours a fairly dark brownish amber color with some woody red highlights. This bottle appeared to have pretty low carbonation and even though I began pouring aggressively at the end I was unable to get much of a head. The little ring of foam around the edge of the glass was off-white in color and left mediocre lace.

The smell of this beer is way different than I had expected. It almost has a sort of Belgian Dubbel like fruity spicy quality to it. Other aromas include cheap apple cider, caramel, toffee and a bit of wet cardboard box. It almost seems like this beer is a bit oxidized, but I know they recently bottled this and it was just put on the shelf. Very weird.

The flavor is fairly similar to the aroma except that I get less of the spice and more of that cheap pasteurized apple cider quality. To be totally honest, this beer tastes a bit like someone mixed a cheap amber with some cheap cider. I am not saying that is what Short's did, but I think this may be a beer that looked better on paper than it ended up tasting in the bottle. I am drinking this beer pretty slowly and as I near the end I am getting a lot of a weird medicinal sort of quality as well.

Thankfully the mouthfeel is not bad at all. This brew is medium bodied with a carbonation that is a bit low, but a finish that is very decent and leaves just a bit of tart apple on the palate.

I would have to say that the drinkability on this beer is pretty darn low. I thought it seemed pretty promising after looking at the bottle, but it just did not pan out well. If you really like apple cider you may enjoy this beer, but otherwise I would have to say this may be one of those beers that you get from great breweries who are always pushing the envelope, but sometimes stumble a bit.

3.25/5  rDev -5.8%

Not really good , Not really bad, it just exists. I drank several bottles before drying to describe what I drank. I still don't know for sure. It is not a Belgian Strong Dark Ale. More of a brown ale.

A: The color is dark goldish brown, slightly hazy and cloudy.

S: I was expecting apple cider...not. maybe a little spice. Unballanced.

T: Sweet honey like, slight spice

M: Light. Are they sure it is 7.00%

D: Wasn't super impressed but didn't stop me from trying to like this beer. It is truly missing something.

4.02/5  rDev +16.5%

A amber ale brewed with apple cider. Sounds pretty experimental to me.

A - Pours a very clear dark amber brown with about a 1/2 inch of creamy sticky head.

S - From the first whiff I could smell the apples. Very tart and juicy. I could also pick up some sweeter malts with some brown sugar but I really expected more caramel or toffee smells since it's a red ale.

T - Well it didn't blow my mind but I found it very drinkable. Tart apples clash with sweet malts are in this taste experience. Like others said it kind of has a brown sugar type taste but not sweet enough to be cloying.

M - Mouth feel is unreal again drinking this I expected 5 maybe 6% tops.

Overall they seem to do fruit beers right this one giving me a sort of tart apple cider like flavor that is enjoyable and interesting.

3.28/5  rDev -4.9%

Beer pours a hazy mahogany with a limited khaki head that dissipates into a light ring quickly.

Smell is yeasty and earthy. Slight toffee.

Taste is very much of apples, the cider really comes through. Same with the finish. Slightly watery though.

Mouthfeel is medium.

Overall I'm quite unimpressed. Doesn't seem to have much direction. The cider doesn't seem to complement the beer, it's just kinda distracting. Think I'm getting some off flavors too.

3.3/5  rDev -4.3%

Pours amber in color with two fingers of head.

The aroma starts out with heavy bubble gum and banana notes. A bit of toasted bread maltiness. Nice.

The flavor is a bit less noteworthy, but not bad by any means. Some woody notes and toasted bread malt. A bit of clove. Not really picking up the apple cider used in the brewing process other than the lightest bit of apple peel in the finish.

The body is medium and carbonation is low.

Overall this is a unique and mildly drinkable beer, but not really a noteworthy one. Strikes me as kind of pointless considering the apple cider is not noticeable without searching deep.

3.33/5  rDev -3.5%

Thanks once again to Scoot1969!

This beer has explosive carbonation! At least a 3" head on a modest pour into a 16 oz pint glass. Dark, dark orange or light brown, pick one.
Smells like a Short's brew with some cider mixed in.
Tastes like a Short's brew with cider mixed in. If you have had several Short's beers, you know what I mean, they all have that same equivalent backbone (base taste). There is some nice spiciness in these that makes it pretty easy to drink.
Average to firm in the mouth with loads of carbonation.
Not bad, not great just somewhere in between.

3.26/5  rDev -5.5%

12 oz bottle, no dating.

A: Poured a very nice reddish brown with a tannish head which dissipated to a nice ring fairly quickly. Looks pretty.

S: Not a strong smell of apples. Mostly smells of malts, some sweet caramel, spices and darker fruits. A hint of apples towards the back. Like a warm, spiced cider.

T: Quite tart and apple-y up front. Tasted a bit metallic and that threw me off for a while. Had to warm up to the taste of this beer to be honest. Also taste the malts and bready notes at the end with a hint of brown sugar. An interesting mixture of flavors.

M: Medium carbonation, don't taste much alcohol at all, quite crisp and dry at the finish.

Overall - not sure I would seek this out again. It's an interesting experiment, but I'm not sure the balance between beer and cider is quite right. Takes a little getting used to make it drinkable.

3.46/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

I like what this beer is trying to do. It keeps tugging back and forth though between letting it be a cider or a beer. A valiant effort though and I think it's a success, just not one for my personal palette. 7% alcohol is nowhere to be found though. The tartness tugs at your cheeks a little.

2.47/5  rDev -28.4%

Thanks for this one, Steve.

A: The beer pours a dark amber color with a rather large off-white head.

S: Reeks of metal. There is a little bit of apple and cider aroma, maybe some bready malt. There's a little bit of toffee and caramel, too. A few yeast esters and spicy phenolics.

T: Lots of yeast and spice notes with a fairly subtle apple and cider flavor. The intense metal flavor is also there. Very minimal malt/toffee/caramel flavor.

M: Medium bodied with medium to high carbonation.

O: Just an awful combination of metal and cider.

Short's The Good Samaritan from Short's Brewing Company