Short's Dan's Pink Skirt - Short's Brewing Company

Short's Dan's Pink SkirtShort's Dan's Pink Skirt

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: Thorpe429 on 01-02-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
TreyIsWilson

3.99/5  rDev -2.2%

A - Light orange with thin white head

S - Grapefruit, lemon, and pine

T - Lots of grapefruit followed by piney hops with a strong malt backbone.

M - Lots of carbonation. Thicker body for an IPA. Slight dry finish.

O - Another solid release from Short's. All their releases have been very solid this year. Hope it continues into 2014.

06-22-2013 05:02:52 | More by TreyIsWilson
miwestcoaster

06-22-2013 02:25:44 | More by miwestcoaster
rjcoy06

06-21-2013 21:16:05 | More by rjcoy06
travisdiener32

4.35/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Fantastic beer, my first short's brew and goes toe to toe with any basic ipa I've ever had. I'd put it a notch above jai alai. I'd drink this stuff all day if it was in Florida distribution. There is no real malt body to it, just hops for days, hops and pine all over my palate, really awesome beer. If you're in to west coast ipas, try this one, it's sculpin's better brother.

06-21-2013 04:36:21 | More by travisdiener32

06-16-2013 02:18:01 | More by jmich24
Alextricity

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

250th Review

Half scratched off, but the date seems to be 4/20/13 ... it's probably more likely to be 5/20/13 though, because I don't THINK Short's was bottling this in April.

Appearance: I mean, come on. Look at the label. Look at the name of the beer. Totally outrageous -- I love it! The beer itself is an insanely hazy yellow color with a tiny head that doesn't last long. A white ring clings to the glass. Minimal lacing. I love that haze though... seemingly all of Short's IPAs have that heavy haze.

Smell: Massive grapefruit. Some sweet malt aromas. I tend to love the smell of Short's IPA brews, but am let down by the flavor. But this time...

Taste: Wow. Thank you very much, Short's. I've been let down recently with some of the IPAs released, but this truly is outstanding. A short moment of almost flavorless sweetness on the front, but then the 156 IBUs punch you in the testicles as hard as possible, and then you're given that tropical/grapefruit/earthy/herby/piney mix of hops... total hop bomb. There's some sweetness in there to try and balance it out, but there's no doubt that this is one hell of a bitter IPA. The feel is thin initially with a mild/medium carbonation, but it seems to thicken up on the swallow.

An excellent beer if you want yourself an immensely bitter India Pale Ale. It looks good (dat haze!), it smells awesome, and it tastes very good. Thanks, Short's. This was delicious.

06-15-2013 18:01:18 | More by Alextricity
JMurphy41

06-15-2013 15:44:23 | More by JMurphy41
I_BYE_MI_BEER

06-15-2013 05:02:06 | More by I_BYE_MI_BEER
TheBrewo

3.85/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

We pour a brew of solid golden yellow. It holds a two finger head of cakey white foam, showing great retention, and leaving sheets and wisps of lacing around our glasses. No haze or sediment is noted, and carbonation appears to be light. The nose smells like a Sucks clone, with dirty and earthy hoppiness, bright nectary hops to balance, and crisp pale malts, white sugars, carrot, pineapple juice, grapefruitiness, toasted pine nuts, burnt plastics, herbal dill root, sweaty salts, lactics, and juicy yeastiness. Our first impression is that, as in the nose, it brings up thoughts of Sucks, but it is much more bittering through the hops, and a bit more watered through in robustness. As we sip, the taste opens with basil, mustard seed, big grapefruity hops, pineapple, apricot, lemon juiciness, plastics, pale malt toast, distant wheat flour muddiness, and mineral bitterness. Pushing to the peak is more bitters, but this time from green bark, straw, coiny and brassy metallics, herbal hoppiness, dill, spicy booze, strawberries, and Fruit Punch cloy to balance. The end is awash with mineral water, but gives solid flavoring through clay, citric and herbal hops, earthy dirtiness, toasty pales, faint corny adjuncts, white flour, black pepper alcohols, green twig, and hints of white sugar. The aftertaste breathes of herbal hop bitterness, mineral, soured yeast, coppery metallics, plastic phenols, predominantly pale grain, freshly cut grass, white wine grape skins, and potato starchiness. The body is medium, and the carbonation is moderate. Each sip affords decent slurp, smack, cream, froth, and finishing pop. While each sip coats and cools, there is eventual drying astringency and pucker. The abv is appropriate, and the beer glugs easily.

Overall, what we liked best about this brew was its aroma. There was excellent balance and inclusion, with the hops giving florals, earthiness, citrus, and pine, while the malts give their own full-bodied sweetness and toast. It was just so inviting. The sip gave a bit more bitterness than expected, but remained even throughout, and highly drinkable. The feel fell through, with lesser cream, froth, and smack than would properly suit the style and the flavor profile presented here. This is a tasty one, and definitely worth a try if you can track it down.

06-15-2013 02:29:29 | More by TheBrewo

3.75/5  rDev -8.1%

06-13-2013 21:05:01 | More by sblanton83
StoutHunter

4.16/5  rDev +2%

I picked up a bottle of Short's Dan's Pink Skirt a couple days ago for $1.89 at The Lager Mill. This is the latest release from Shorts, they have been cranking out some good IPA's this year and I have been wanting to try this one for awhile, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but it just showed up so it's pretty fresh. Poured from a brown 12ox bottle into Shorts Imperial pint glass.

A- The label is pretty strange looking, but it's true to the name so I can't fault them for it, it's eye catching to say the least. It poured a nice and fairly clear golden yellow color that took on a slight copper hue when held to the light with two fingers of worth of white head that quickly died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty lacing behind. This was a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by tons of fruity hops that impart lots of tropical and citrus fruit flavors with some nice mango and pineapple aromas coming through. Up next i get some nice sweet and grainy malts with caramel malt like aromas in the background. This beer has a great aroma, the citrus and tropical fruit hops dominate this beer which makes for a very pleasing aroma, it reminds me of Freedom of 78 without the guava.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aromas and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by lots of fruity hops, there's some nice tropical fruit hop flavors in the background, but it's the citrus fruits that really shine through with grapefruits and citrus zest really coming through. Up next i get some clean a slightly sweet malts that impart a nice grainy flavors with some caramel malts in the background. On the finish there's a high amount of bitterness with a bitter grapefruit like aftertaste. This is a pretty good tasting beer, the hop profile was really nice, but i wish the bitterness was toned down a little.

M- Not that smooth, oily, slightly sticky, medium bodied, with a lower amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was ok, but I felt like it could have been smoother with a little more carbonation.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and a good example of the style, it has the bitterness of DIPA with the strength of an IPA, it's right on the border of the two styles, I enjoyed it. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it wasn't too smooth and I felt it was a little too bitter, but the flavors did a good job at holding my attention so one would be enough for me, this is just too bitter to drink multiples of. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma, it was very good, I loved how full of tropical and citrus fruits the aroma was. What I liked the least about this beer was the high the amount of bitterness, if the bitterness was toned down some, it would really help the drinkability. I would buy this beer again if they choose to release it again, it's already sold out at all the stores around me, so i'm glad I got a six pack of this, I would recommend it to anyone who really likes bitter IPA's. All in all I enjoyed this beer, I thought it was a little rough around the edges but I still like the taste and I really liked the aroma. Good job Short's, you guys are on a roll this year and I see no end in sight, not only is Short's one of the most ambitious brewerys I know, it's starting to become one of the most contestant brewerys in the state, keep up the good work guys.

06-12-2013 03:40:36 | More by StoutHunter
AlMarzo

06-11-2013 13:41:26 | More by AlMarzo
scotorum

4.06/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I bought one bottle just as it was put out at the Frankenmuth Lager Mill.  I was up in northern Michigan for a convention, stopped at the Lager Mill because I heard they did mixed sixes and had a good selection of harder-to-find imported German beers, but I also wanted to try some local brews.  The clerk recommended it, and noted that he only had two cases allotted to sell.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a whiskey glass.  I was staying in a hotel and that's all that was available. Next trip I'll pack one of my tulips.

a. Bright golden, somewhat cloudy translucent gold.  Half-finger head dissipates to a really nice beer foam film with quite a lot of lacing.

s: strong fruity-apricoty which seems to become more grapefruity-bitter as it is consumed, until it reminds me of the first time I tried Lagunitas, and Short's might even have more bite to it.

t: Very bold floral citrus which builds into a strong citrus with bitter hop notes especially on swallow.

m: light to moderate,

o: a very refreshing IPA, perhaps slightly too bitter finish for my taste but very pleasant to drink nonetheless.  You certainly know it is an IPA, it's every inch of one.  I'd definitely buy this again, but since it seems to have a rather limited distribution and this is the first time I've ever been in northern Michigan where it's made, I'm not expecting to find it easily once I get back home.  There are other fine IPA's but this one gives them all a run for their fruity-hoppy-bitterness. Now I'm wishing I had bought a sixer to bring home for the warmer summer weather. I did see three cases at the beverage center in Traverse City before I had tasted it, but when I went back two days later it was already all gone.

06-11-2013 04:25:41 | More by scotorum