Short's Aphasia - Short's Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Old Ale |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-15-2011

A medium bodied dark brown Old Ale with a sizable nose of molasses and alcohol. Predominantly sweet, with unique flavors of plum, figs, and brown sugar. Further compliments of toasted malt and an increased ABV, aid in a pleasant warming finish.
Reviews by SportsandJorts:

None found.

3.5/5  rDev -13.4%

3.71/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.58/5  rDev +13.4%

Picked up a growler at the brewpub in Bellaire
A: Slightly cloudy caramel-brown murk that you expect from the best unfiltered Old Ales. slight white foamy head that fades with the quickness.

S: Rich, warm caramel malts with a slight woodiness and peat. Smells great.

T: PERFECT 5.0. Impressive balance of low booziness, smothered hop profile that was once a big hitter in the flavor, but aged down to the right level. Tastes like it was a nice long boil.

M: nice and smooth. Similar to a well aged Abyss in mouthfeel.

O: Probably the best beer I had on my 12-brewery loop trip through upper Michigan.

3.63/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.32/5  rDev -17.8%

Reddish amber clear body with no real head. A bit of surface tracing.

Smells off. Kinda iodine or chlorine.

Taste is pretty spot on. Some nutty malt and the essence of Bourbon and wood without the booziness.

Thinnish but not bad.

Nice Bourbon barrel schwarz but without the punch you'd expect from a Bourbon barreled beer. Nutty, same essence, no bite.

4.18/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.72/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev -7.2%

4.24/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.15/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.78/5  rDev -6.4%

4.53/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.25/5  rDev +5.2%

4.39/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.83/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

3.65/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.17/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I picked up a bottle of Short's Aphasia a couple weeks ago at The lager Mill. I've never had this beer before, but I've had the bourbon barrel aged version before and I'm happy that Short's decided to bottle it, so lets see how it goes. 2014 Vintage. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks nice, once you know the story behind this beer the label art make sense, but I don't think the name makes much sense and I understand why Short's is changing it. It poured a hazy brown color that took more of mahogany color when held to the light with two fingers worth of slightly creamy and bubbly dark tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left lots of sticky lacing behind. This is a very nice looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness which is right on the border of being highly sweet and it starts off with a somewhat lighter amount of smoked malt aromas and it's followed by the rest of the malts which impart some caramel malt, light toffee, sweet malt and bread crust like aromas. Up next comes a nice fruity aroma with some dark fruits showing up and there's no single dark fruit that sticks out the most and it had more of fruit juice aspect to it which seems to be the aspect that sticks out the most in this beer. This beer had a good aroma and I liked that it had some complexity to it.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that is a little less sweet than it was in the aroma and with the malts being the first to show up and they impart the same nice aspects that they did in aroma with some caramel and toffee candy flavors seeming to stick out the most with no light smoked malt aspect showing up this time. Up next comes a light sweet alcohol flavor that isn't warming and it's followed by the fruits which impart the same dark fruit aspects that they did in the aroma and it still has that fruit juice like aspect and it's a good amount lighter than it was in the aroma, but it still shows up nicely. On the finish there's hardly any bitterness with a some sweetness taking it's place and it had a very caramel and toffee candy like aftertaste. This is a very nice tasting beer, it's got some nice balance to it and I think the flavors work well together.

M- Smooth, alcohol is well hidden, not too crisp, a little creamy, slightly sticky, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a lower amount of carbonation. This beer had a good mouthfeel that worked well with it, I have no complaints.

Overall I thought this was a very nice beer and I thought it was a good example of the style, it had pretty much all the aspects that I look for in the style without being overly sweet or overly boozy. This beer had good drinkability, it was smooth, the alcohol was well hidden, not too crisp, a little creamy, slightly sticky, a little filling and the taste did a good job of holding my attention, I think two would be my limit and I think this would be a nice beer to sip on during a cold night. What I like the most about this beer was the taste, appearance and drinkability, they were all very nice and to me they were the highlights of this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the aroma, it wasn't bad at all, but I wish it was much more balanced. I would buy this beer again, it sold out pretty quickly around here, but if Short's makes it again this year I would try to get a couple six pack and I have a couple to age so I can see how it changes over time. I would recommend this to anyone who likes Old Ales, if your a fan of the style I think it's worth a try. All in all I enjoyed this beer, it lived up to my expectations and I think it makes for a nice Wintertime beer especially during this cold weather. I think it's one of the better Short's Beers and I think it's a good and true to style example of the style. Great job guys, this is one tasty Old Ale, keep up the hard work.

3.96/5  rDev -2%

4.12/5  rDev +2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

4.3/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Short's Aphasia from Short's Brewing Company