2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Short's Hopstache - Short's Brewing Company

Short's HopstacheShort's Hopstache

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: Thorpe429 on 05-31-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 174 | Reviews: 27 | Show All Ratings:
claminat420

4.93/5  rDev +16%

description from brewery: American Pale Ale dominated by citrus flavors and aromas. Focusing on hop varieties that offer the most fruity and floral characteristics w/ the addition of grapefruit zest.

A- pours a hazy copper color with a frothy white head that leaves a hefty amount of lacing.

S- just some citrus hops from hell. nice. one of the best smelling beers i've ever smelt.

T- this is what a american ipa should be. just blasted with hops. there is a slight caramel malt detection if you really try but basicly it's nothing more than citrus hops. bitterness isn't too crazy but others might think so.

M- medium bodied. has a slight silky texture to it. i don't know if it's from all the hops or the grapefruit zest.

Drinkability- i wish they bottled this sh#t!!!

Overall- being a hophead this beer is right up my alley. i was worried about the grapefruit zest mentioned because i've tried their double ipa with the lemon and orange zest and thought that beer sucked. the grapefruit tho plays well with the citrus hops. it seems like it just makes the hops more intense. great brew. hope to see this one again in the future.

Serving type: growler

09-04-2011 06:16:38 | More by claminat420
maximum12

4.63/5  rDev +8.9%

Again, my thanks to tectactoe for a burgeoning box of Short's - I'm getting through it, alternating nights of hoppy with evenings of malts. This is a hoppy night. Clearly. 12 oz. bottle savored all by myself.

Pour is a moist, slightly eclipsed yellow with revving carbonation climbing the glass. The nose is one of those treatise beers: one could write one. Pungent oils, freshly squeezed lemon, citrus, pine, bitterness. No idea what kind of hop bill is hiding in here, but it's brought out the best, aromatics-wise.

Hopstache lowers a grapefruit & hop boom...wow. Oily grapefruit slinks out of the glass & molests the palate without any tickle whatsoever. Once past, it allows a honeyed sweetness, pine bitterness, & lisp of citric acid to wash past. Bitterness seizes the aftertaste & washes away even the grapefruit, leaving a clean, jarring IPA experience. Sluggable. I could easily go through a bomber of this in the time it would normally take me to do a single.

Combo of bite, grapefruit, & complexity makes this one excellent IPA. Brewers should buy this beer & study it like an IPA manual. A winner that'd be welcomed on the slopes of Mount Olympus.

04-30-2013 02:36:24 | More by maximum12
chugalug06

Colorado

4.58/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Foggy, yellow-ish brew. White, foamy head. Niiice lacing!! Missing clarity.

Apricot, mango, piney, nice grains. Enjoyable.

Smooth, highly drinkable, smoothly bitter, creamy, lactic, passion fruit, resinous, filled with pine needles, wet, light airy carbonation, delicate.

This brew is GREAT! Thanks abanton for the kickass extra! Highly recommended.

04-29-2013 03:46:07 | More by chugalug06
malty

4.53/5  rDev +6.6%

Pours a slightly murky dull golden-orange with a stationary 1/2" bone white loose & multi-sized bubbled head. Not too much visible carbonation to support the dwindling head. Looks proper, but not exciting. Label art of Joe Short and his nerd glasses, sporting a Magnum P.I. stache is a nice touch though. I also will raise this appearance score due to the stellar dripping cohesive lacework all the way down the glass.

The scent is exciting though. Luscious tropical fruit and grapefruitty hops galore! I swear, I can't wait to quaff this baby. Sweet, Del Monte fruit cocktail syrup-esque. Can I drink this now? A few swirls of my Sam Adams scientific pint glass evoke more piney, rustic hop resins. Now I'm jacked!

There it is!!! the taste definitely delivers everything I got in the nose, but in reverse. Lots of dry, resiny, rustic hops with pithy grapefruit rind, (thanks to the real grapefruit addition). The chalky dryness begs for another gulp, of which I'll gladly oblige. Gosh damn this is delicious. Hops. Delivered. Gloriously.

Mouthfeel is creamy smooth and just a notch past medium bodied. Carbonation is spot on perfectly kinetic. Pillowy soft and lifting. Long dry flavorful finish.

Overall a spectacular IPA made with real grapefruit. I wish I would've bought a case, but this stuff hit the shelves and gone in just 3 days. Highly, highly recommended. P

04-07-2013 19:49:02 | More by malty
StoutHunter

4.45/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I picked up a bottle of Short's Hopstache last week at for $10.89 at The Lager Mill. This is the first time this beer has been bottled and since Short's has been killing these hoppy beers lately I have some high expectations for this beer so I decided to give this one a try tonight, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a Short's Imperial pint glass.

A- I like the label, it's a drawing of Joe Short with a mustache, enough said. It poured a slightly clear golden orange color that took on some darker orange hues when held to the light with three fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and it left lots of patchy lacing behind. This was a very good looking beer, the color was nice and the head was much better than I normally get from a bottled Short's beer, it looked really good.

S- The aromas starts off with a slightly higher amount of sweetness followed by a huge punch of grapefruit that smells juicy and pithy and it's followed by loads of citrus and tropical fruit hops aromas with some mango and pineapple sticking out along with a little bit of floral hops. I also pick up a light amount of bready malts and a slight yeast like aroma. The aroma is very good, it's not the most balanced but it's full of the best combination of fruity and hoppy aromas, it's simply awesome.

T- The taste seems to be very similar to the aroma and it starts of with a medium amount of sweetness followed by a nice authentic grapefruit flavor, I get the juicy middle and the rind of the fruit. After that comes loads of hops that impart some nice citrus and tropical fruit flavors with some light mango and pineapple flavors with grapefruits still sticking out the most. Up next I get a real light grainy and bready flavor with a hint of yeast and on the finish there's a higher amount of medium bitterness that has bitter grapefruit like taste to it and there's a nice fruity, grapefruit rind, and bitter aftertaste. This is a very good tasting beer, it's a citrus bomb of an IPA with grapefruit being the main attraction, I really enjoy it.

M- Pretty smooth, clean, refreshing, medium bodied, with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was good and it worked well with this beer, I liked how refreshing it was.

Overall I thought this was a very good beer and very good example of the style, Short's really knows how to pair real fruit flavor with really fruity hop flavors and the combination really complements this beer and it really does a good job at showcasing the grapefruit in this beer. This beer had good drinkability, it was smooth, clean, refreshing, and the flavors did a great job at holding my attention and keeping me coming back for more, I could see myself drinking a few of these but I think after that the bitterness might start to wear on me, but other than that I think this would be a great beer to enjoy in the warmer weather. What I liked the most about this beer was pretty much everything, all aspects of this beer were pretty damn good. There wasn't anything that I disliked about this beer but I do wish this was a year round beer but I know that probably won't happen. I would for sure buy at least a six pack if they released it again next year, I bought a six pack of it and after I tried one I went back to the store to buy some more but it was all gone so I'm happy I got a six pack. I recommend this beer to anyone who loves citrus heavy IPA's and if you love that grapefruit taste in hoppy beers then I think you will love this beer. All in all I was very impressed with this beer and it exceeded my expectations, everything about it was either good or really good and Short's did a great job at capturing that pure grapefruit essence. Short's really hit it out of the park with this one, but I still like Freedom of 78 and Anniversary Ale a little more but I think this beer is just about on the same level, Short's has always been know for there crazy and unique experimental beers, but with all the great hoppy beers they have been putting out lately I think they will start to be known for their great hoppy offerings soon enough. Good job Short's, keep kicking ass.

04-02-2013 04:00:29 | More by StoutHunter
tectactoe

4.43/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Picked up a sixer of this at Discount Drinks, glad to see this stuff in bottles - I've heard nothing but good things about it in the past. Hopstache pours a very pure golden color; very mellow with some light amber hints in the middle and faint straw on the edges. The cloudy white head settles at about a finger-and-a-half and leaves some nice, long webbing and lace as it crawls down the glass.

I stick my nose in to get a whiff... Fucking faaantastic. Sticking Citra hops in my nose has the same effect as playing "Your Body is a Wonderland" for your girlfriend on the first date. I'm such a goddamn sucker for them, and after one sniff, Hopstache already has me on my knees. The citric-centric hops blow up; grapefruit bonanza, mild pineapple, citrus peels dangling all around. So juicy, raw, and in-your-face. The hops cut in hard; pine, oil, resin, with a lightly dank character in the finish. Somewhere in the background lies a faintly spicy and earthy aroma as well. So many of the things I love are just jam packed into this beer right now. My slacks are getting tighter.

Hopstache hits my palate and the first thing I get is a lovely mouthful of pines, oily resins, and dank, earthy, leafy hops. Huge hop flavor, undeniably explosive. And despite their heavy and controlling nature, they make themselves assertive without cutting up the palate too much - bitterness is apparent but low enough to retain drinkability and quaffability (how do you like that word? ) as it hits the back of the tongue and settles to a residual bitterness halfway through. The amount of raw hops that are packed into this brew is impressive and after only a few sips, I like where this is headed.

The citrus on the palate is lighter than it was on the nose, which is to be expected, but it still explodes in a big way. Once the initial pine and resin attack subsides a bit, you're hit with a concoction of grapefruit peels, citrus skins, and unripe pineapple. The fruits adhere to the bitterness theme; pith, peels, and skins, just biting at the taste buds, little by little. Heading into the aftertaste, some of the hop flavors begin to grow again, leaving a mild earthy, herbal and almost peppery flavor to carry away the finish.

Malt doesn't become apparent until the very end where it actually has some heavy bread and toast flavor, but not much else. Overall, the flavor was, at times, a bit watery considering how dense and packed the aroma was, but given the low ABV of the brew (I believe it's even lower than the 6% ABV listed on this site), it's forgivable to a point. Mildly sticky mouth feel, lots of carbonation, medium bodied.

Far and away the best IPA I've had from Shorts, and they put out some other good IPA's. Drinks almost like an APA with the relatively mellow and easy-to-maintain bitterness and low ABV. Could polish off six of these without thinking about it. I may be a Citra hop slappy, but there's no denying that this is a damn good beer. If you see it, get it. You won't be disappointed!

03-21-2013 11:59:27 | More by tectactoe
CMUbrew

4.36/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle into a tulip

A: Pours a very nice hazy, golden-yellow color. White head composed of different sized bubbles sits on top. Lacing starts from the first sip.

S: Grapefruit is quite prominent in the nose. Peel and fruit make their presence known. Not much else really, but that's okay by me.

T: Grapefruit obviously. Tastes almost like I'm taking a bite of a ruby red, although much less tart. Short's wasn't messing around with the grapefruit addition.

M: Carbonation tingles and body is smooth. Very easy drinking and refreshing.

O: A fantastic beer from Short's. Right there with Freedom of '78 for their best beer IMO and certainly one of the better IPAs I've had.

05-01-2013 22:19:52 | More by CMUbrew
webmanspidey

4.34/5  rDev +2.1%

Newly released bottle poured into a pint glass. This is a golden orange color with light head and fizz. Smell is a nice mix of malt and hops, with some light citrus. Taste is loaded with citrus and hops, but this isn't one that can only be appreciated by hop fanatics. This is very drinkable and delicious, turning out to be a very nice IPA.

03-21-2013 22:30:31 | More by webmanspidey
TreyIsWilson

4.33/5  rDev +1.9%

A - Pours a cloudy gold with a one-finger foamy white head. Light sticky lacing.

S - Grapefruit and orange peel dominate the aroma with faint bready malt.

T - Just like the aroma. Big ruby red grapefruit with some malty sweetness. Hops really come through in the finish. This is a big citrus bomb.

M - Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Smooth creamy mouthfeel.

O - Wow, Short's really blew me away on this one. This is an awesome grapefruit forward IPA.

03-30-2014 05:53:35 | More by TreyIsWilson
Flopjack

4.3/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle into tulip

Appearance - Nice pale orange especially when held up to light, not a lot of light gets through, somewhat hazed, nice lacing, 1/2 finger white head.

Smell - Pungent grapefruit, pine, floral hoppiness. Lots of citrus.

Taste - The beginning of the flavor is a nice balance of pine and grapefruit giving a nice floral and juicy character. The middle brings about more of the grapefruit intensity that is paired with bitterness. Towards the end there is more of a mellow grapefruit zest or essence that drys the flavor nicely.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, medium carbonation.

Overall - Good beer, it was my first trying this offering. Glad I tried it and hope to get more next time around.

04-06-2014 19:23:22 | More by Flopjack
lochef81

4.29/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I always have my doubts when it comes to Shorts Brewing but for once they really impressed me with this one. It pours a hazy golden orange color with a small white head and sticky lacing. The aroma is a knockout dank blend of grapefruit, bready malts, and fresh hops. The mouthfeel is sticky and pleasant leaving an awesome coating of citrus hops stickiness on the palate. The flavor is almost as great as the nose with a tremendous burst of ruby red grapefruit, resiny hops, a little malt backbone and a bit if a pleasant alcohol bite. Overall, this is probably the best offering I've had from Shorts. A definite must try.

03-31-2014 17:48:10 | More by lochef81
Immortale25

4.26/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a Dogfish Spiegelau glass. No freshness date.

A- Pours a medium amber color with a 1/2 inch off-white head that retains well before makings its way down to a thick ring around the edge of the glass and a full sheet of surface foam. Semi-resilient lacing leaves large clots behind.

S- Lovely burst of tropical fruit and a bit of sugary malt. Notes of mango, papaya and peach.

T- Flavor isn't quite as excellent. The high bitterness kind of downplays the tropical fruit tastes but it still works. Resinous hops are continuously assertive on the palate. Notes of grapefruit, pineapple and grass.

M- Sharp and bitey from the hops. Medium carbonation and a body leaning toward the lighter side.

O- This is for IPA lovers only which I certainly am but this was almost too bitter for even me. Though not very balanced, it has a terrific aroma and pretty much everything I look for in a great IPA.

04-18-2014 04:40:27 | More by Immortale25
Thorpe429

4.25/5  rDev 0%

Reviewed from notes.

Pours a bright orange color with a very nice white head and some lacing on the way down. The nose pounces with really strong citrus notes with some floral and pine characteristics in the background. Highly resinous and pungent. Grapefruit dominates. The flavor is quite bitter and provides a bit of hop flavor, though not as much as I was expecting from the aroma. The fruit comes through atop the dryness that follows with the bitterness in the feel. Really tasty and a great finish.

05-31-2011 10:56:41 | More by Thorpe429
superspak

4.2/5  rDev -1.2%

12 ounce bottle into pint glass, bottled on 3/11/2013. Pours lightly hazy golden orange color with a nice 2 finger dense white head with fantastic retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Spotty soapy lacing clings down the glass. Aromas of huge grapefruit, orange zest, pineapple, peach, passion fruit, orange rind, floral, light pine, grass, light honey, and floral earthiness. Incredible aromas with great balance and complexity of citrus and tropical fruit notes with moderate malt balance. Taste of grapefruit, orange zest, lemon zest, pineapple, pine, orange rind, floral, grass, light honey, bread, and floral earthiness. Good amount of pine resin bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of citrus, citrus zest, pineapple, pine, floral, bread, light honey, and floral earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Damn nice flavor balance and complexity of hops with grapefruit flavor; with a moderate malt balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a smooth and sticky mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with hardly any warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a highly excellent IPA! Great balance of hops with the grapefruit flavors; and very smooth to drink. A highly enjoyable offering.

04-10-2013 05:23:46 | More by superspak
zac16125

South Carolina

4.19/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle into a pint glass

Thanks to Tee2Grn for sending this over as an extra.

A: Pours a hazy apricot orange with 1.5 fingers width of slightly off white colored head. Leaves lots of lacing.

S: Tons of citrusy hops, grapefruit, tangerine, and lemon. More subtle resinous, piney notes. A touch of sweet malts. Really excellent.

T: Citrus rind and piney bitterness. Soapy notes. Grassy/herbaceous. A subtle malt presence, but piney hop bitterness is by far the most prominent flavor.

M/D: Full bodied, appropriate carbonation, very good drinkability.

O: Overall, a real good IPA. I would have liked if more of the citrus notes that were present in the aroma came out in the taste. Still real good though. Id def drink this again.

04-15-2013 07:22:30 | More by zac16125
TheBrewo

4.16/5  rDev -2.1%

We pour a brew of pale sunrise orange into our Great Lakes pints. It gives off a one finger head of sand colored bubbles that sit milky and creamy atop the beverage. Cakey, sheeted lacing is left around the glass as it simmers away at a moderate pace. A chill haze cuts clarity, but no sediment is noted. Carbonation appears to be rather active. The aroma is fresh, offering notes of steely grassy and citric hops, metallic and mineral-laden yeastiness, pale and clean adjunct grain, vanilla extract and sweet ethanolic coolness, orange and cucumber flesh, lactic acidity, honeys, light magic marker phenols, and a toasty amber grainy grit that comes more forward with warmth. Our first impression is that, as with the nose, the flavoring comes across as highly fresh and robust, but with a bit more dank bitterness than we were expecting. As we sip, the taste begins with sticky, tannic, and sappy green-grass and citric-oil hoppiness, glazed doughnut puff, toasty pale and lightly wheaty maltiness, watered-down orange juice, fatty gravy, and red apple and pear fruitiness. The middle peaks with granular white sugar sweetness, mineral water, orange pith and lemon zest, continued wheaty graininess, metallic yeastiness, bittering green grassiness, and nylon. The end comes through with more soured grain of corn and white flour, citric peel and seed, oily citric and softly piney hoppiness, nectarine and peach meatiness, grassy and piney hops, tin, sweet booziness, and plastic phenolic bite. The aftertaste breathes of white pepper and turmeric spice, orange juice, peel, and flesh, citric and grassy hop shells, pistachio, alcohol, sheet plastic, envelope adhesive, pale malt graininess, and toasted table crackers. The body is lightly medium, and the carbonation is medium. The sip offers satisfying and wet slurp and smack, while giving up a little lightness to any cream or froth. Finishing pop is crisp and clean. The mouth is wetted and slightly slimy, but this follows in form as a pucker, giving the illusion of frank dryness. The abv is appropriate, and drinkability remains quick and high throughout.

Overall, the most enjoyable thing about this brew is its flavoring and its ease of drinkability. The hops here are quite zesty. They zing and pop through each sip, showcasing heavy oiliness of citric varietals, sticky pine, and a clean grassiness, for a fresh and organic feel to it. The malt bill actually reminds us of their Beard of Zeus, an IPL. Now that we’re thinking about it, the hops are similar as well in that they are both more bitter than sweet or fruity. They each have a cheapness to the grain, with a high metallic factor, but it works in both cases. This one is fruitier, we suppose, if you count the bittering zesty oiliness of oranges in the equation. Either way, this is a fine beer, and a sixer that we will likely blow through with eagerness and ease.

04-12-2014 22:18:42 | More by TheBrewo
robhbest

4.15/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured into tulip glass.

A: Hazy straw yellow, 2 finger white head which sticks around for a bit.

S: Oh man, a citrus forest in my nose, pineapple, grapefruit, mango, fantastic!

T: So smooth on the front side, finishes with a grapefruit like bitterness at the end. Unbelievable. I love grapefruit, this is fantastic for grapefruit lovers. I wish it was a little more complex however.

M: On the lighter side of being medium bodied. Good carbonation. I think it lacks some oomph though.

O: Delicious beer. Drinks fairly easy and I could probably go through a bunch in one sitting. Missing a little mouthfeel and a little one sided however I'd definately go for it again.

03-23-2013 17:50:03 | More by robhbest
cosmicevan

4.1/5  rDev -3.5%

thanks a ton to zaphog for hitting me with this in the Easter BIFsket. enjoyed from a sierra nevada ipa glass.

a - brew poured a murky orange with a fresh ipa head (think pliny foamy, not classic ipa)...lacing was a bit spotty. looks juicy and murky. can't wait.

s - zing!!! fresh citric blast...ever so subtle earthy malt but the fresh fruit is the star of the show here. a bit sweaty. can't wait!!!

t - fairly big bitter blast slaps me in the palette then i'm slimed by some earthy malts and then the citricness slides in followed by what seems to be some mentholated booziness and big pine cone bitterness.

m - clean and crisp a bit mentholated.

o - overall, the nose is the star of the show on this IPA. feels like it is hotter than 6%. nice ipa...i'd definitely drink this all the time if i was local...

04-05-2013 02:02:20 | More by cosmicevan
minterro

Colorado

4.08/5  rDev -4%

Bought a sixer from Spartan Spirits, paired with triscuits.

A&S: Hazy toasted yellow with lively carbonation rising from the bottom. Head is a clean white and has good retention with streaks of lacing. Substantial and long-living fruity aromas: grapefruit, citrus, passion fruit with hints of marijuana and spices.

T&M: Very fruity and floral in the taste. Not much alcohol in the taste. Not very bitter at all, tad bit dry. Interesting and unique hop selection, not traditional but not unpleasant. On the lighter side of body and medium amount of carbonation.

Overall: very easy to drink. Nothing super impressive. Mostly bought because I feel the need to Shorts' new stuff and because the label looks like me.

03-25-2013 02:13:38 | More by minterro
33nickadams

4.04/5  rDev -4.9%

Yellowish-amber color that is translucent and cloudy. Small amount of foam on top that gathers along the side of the glass.

Smells citrusy, fruity, grassy. Yeasty and pithy. Nice nose.

Flavors mirror the aroma. Great hop flavor-probably some citra. A bitterness follows after the hop flavors, but its more from the grapefruit. Not getting much sweetness from the malt backbone. This one is all about late addition hops.

Mouthfeel is relatively light and well-carbonated.

Overall, good brew that really melds great hop flavors without getting too overboard. This brew actually reminds me a lot of another Short's brew, Prolonged Enjoyment. I hope they make it again.

03-31-2013 00:38:57 | More by 33nickadams
andrewjraab

3.94/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A - Hazy and cloudy burnt orange with a frothy bright white head. Really nice lacing and stick after every sip.

S - Citrus - orange peel, grapefruit, fruity.

T - Hop forward - grapefruit, citrus zest, piney, resinous. Medium to full bodied. Lingering bitter and drying aftertaste.

O - Real solid American IPA from Shorts. This is a gem for hop lovers - give this a try.

03-30-2014 01:06:57 | More by andrewjraab
SanFranJake

3.91/5  rDev -8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Enjoyed yesterday poured into a Deschutes goblet from 12oz bottle.
Procured via trade (extra) from my good man @totalbangover.
Excellent orangish color when poured and as soon as it hit the glass and filled up, I was hit with tons of fruity citrus notes, namely (as the label says) Grapefruit. Slight nose of hops presence but this is mostly citrus.
I didn't pour with much vigor but pour still produced a nice finger+ of creamy foam with quickly ceded.
Great flavor. On par with what I got in the nose...grapefruit and slight but noticeable hop presence. Not at all like the piney IPAs that I usually like in the style.
Carbonation, flavor and nose stuck around for as long as the pour did.
Gentle lacing did as well.
Glad I was able to try this beer. Every Shorts beer I've had, all of which have been extras from @totalbangover, have been very impressive and this was no exception.

04-14-2014 13:20:17 | More by SanFranJake
Alextricity

3.81/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Samuel Adams "Perfect Pint" glass. The appearance on this one is a really hazy yellow color. The head isn’t very big, and doesn’t last long at all. Very little lacing left in the glass as well. Aroma is unbelievable, and one of the best smelling beers I’ve ever whiffed -- massive grapefruit and tropical smells... truly outstanding. Unfortunately, the taste was a bit of a let down. The front of each sip tasted almost exactly like the aroma -- sweet, grapefruity. The rest of the sip and aftertaste though was primarily of bitterness, and it didn’t have me jumping up and down. The carbonation isn’t harsh, but the bitterness in this make it much more of a sipper’s IPA. A fantastic smelling beer, but a slight let down flavor-wise after hearing all the great stuff about it. Either way, a super solid beer... especially when you burp. :)

03-27-2013 02:27:37 | More by Alextricity
kevanb

3.81/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle poured into a stemless wine glass.

The beer pours a soft, honey straw color, notes of gold and dandelion that is slightly murky with a thin, soapy white head, about a finger high that has decent retention and leaves a touch of lace behind. The aroma is nice, lots of zesty citrus, wildflower, weedy grass with some underlying pine and cat pee from the amarillo behind it. Sweet and bready grain is integrated nicely, but the balance on the nose is a bit lacking. The flavors are similar, but earthier, the citrus presence is there but the grassiness and floral notes are very dirty and earthy, lots of grubby weeds with some prickly malt behind it. The body is nice, a bit carbed and soapy for my liking, but the finish is nice and dry with a great bitter kick.

Verdict: A nice IPA from Shorts, right on the cusp of something great and one of the best beers I've had from them. Certainly an IPA that will appeal to any hop head and one I'd like to enjoy again in the future.

03-30-2013 16:15:27 | More by kevanb
SportsandJorts

3.69/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: a light straw yellow. super hazy and opaque. a finger of a whitish head that leaves just a little bit of lacing after fading fairly quickly.

Smell: light bready malts, lighter crystal malts. hops are very citrusy and the grapefruit. some tropical notes. noticeable bitterness

Taste: opens up with citrus. grapefruit along with tropical notes. noticeable bread and crystal malt base

Mouthfeel: quite light, but very bitter

Overall: not a complete winner with me. there really isn't a whole lot of hop taste to it. good malt base but i think the focus needs to be shifted more to hops from the grapefruit.

03-28-2014 00:42:45 | More by SportsandJorts