Kolsch 45 - Short's Brewing Company

Kolsch 45Kolsch 45

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Kölsch |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: drabmuh on 06-03-2011

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 140 | Reviews: 28
4.15/5  rDev +9.2%

I picked up a bottle of Short's Kolsch 45 last week for $1.69 at The Lager Mill. This a newly released beer from Short's and the first time it has been bottled, so lets see how this Kolsch turns out. No visible bottling date, fresh spring release. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- I like name of this beer and the label is good too, it's nicely done and it shows what the number 45 really stands for. It poured a fairly clear straw yellow color that looked more gold when held to the light and it had two and a half fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left some spotty lacing. This is a proper looking Kolsch, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with loads of malts that have a medium amount of sweetness and imparts lots of bread and biscuit aromas that seem to dominate the aroma of this beer. Next a get some doughy yeast aromas followed by some light citrus hop aromas. This Kolsch, had a nice aroma with some extra citrus aromas that I don't normally find in this style, I like it.

T- The taste is very similar to the aroma and starts off with loads of pale malts that have a lower amount of medium sweetness and impart lots of bread and biscuit flavors with the bread flavors sticking out the most. Next I get some slightly doughy yeast that is followed by a pretty light amount of citrusy hops that impart a very light citrus flavor. Towards the end I get more bread flavors with a light amount of bitterness on the finish and a very bready and grainy aftertaste. This was a nice tasting Kolsch that was just a little different with the light citrus hops addition, I like it.

M- Very smooth, crisp,on the medium side of being light bodied, and it had a nice amount of medium carbonation. There was nothing off with the mouthfeel, it worked nicely with this beer and was true to style.

Overall I enjoyed this beer and I thought it was a good example of the style, this beer had just about everything that this style is known for with just a slight twist to let you know that this is a Short's brew. This beer had great drinkability, it was very smooth and refreshing, with enough flavor to hold my attention, I could see drinking a bunch of these on a hot summer day, a good warm weather beer just as the style intends. What I liked most about this beer was that is was very well rounded and pretty true to style. What I liked least about this beer was nothing, but I do wish this beer wasn't so limited, my local beer store only got two cases that's not a lot when it comes to this style of beer. I would buy this beer again if there's any left when I go back, it's six pack worthy, but with it being so limited it will not last, I recommend this beer to anyone, just a clean, tasty, drinkable beer. Short's did a great job with this beer and they kept it pretty traditional but I did enjoy the slight citrus aspect that you don't normally get in this style, it was a nice addition to this beer and it worked well with the other flavors. This is now my favorite Kolsch, it was New Hollands Full Circle, but I find this beer to be slightly better. I am glad you guys decided to bottle this beer and I hope to see more of it next summer, good job guys this is another solid brew from one of my favorite brewery's.

3.79/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 fl. oz. bottle
Served in a pilsner glass

L - This beer pours golden and crystal clear. It is topped with a couple inches of eggshell head that loves some lacing as it recedes.

S - The smell has some milled grain characteristics. I also get a little lemongrass.

T - The taste features more of the lemongrass. There is a grain taste with a slightly bitter metallic finish.

M - Smooth and creamy.

O - Kölsch beers are not my favorite style. This is a decent beer. Reminds me of the old rust belt lagers of the 1970's with a little more flavor.

3.87/5  rDev +1.8%

A- Pours a slightly hazy yellow liquid with a very thin and splotchy white head. Very quiet looking.

S- Light fruit such as apples and pears, lemon, white bread, and a touch of pepper. A bit simple, but it is nice.

T- Exactly the same as the aroma but not as sweet as I was expecting. Tasty and smooth.

M- Light carbonation and very clean flavors. The alcohol is well hidden considering the lightness of the beer.

O- A tasty beer on a scorching summer night. Drinks really nicely.

4.2/5  rDev +10.5%

Somewhat murky golden straw color with a two finger creamy soft textured head that mirrors the texture of the brew itself. Fairly decent retention time and lacing qualities.
Smells mostly of a light cereal graininess with a lemon twist, faint amounts of grape aroma garnish and a light cracker malt aroma.
The flavor starts out with a herbal / lemon peel sting that turns into a biscuit malt mid-sip, which further transforms into a quasi-woody yet lightly resinous extended finish. Did I already mention the soft creamy texture? Well, it bears repeating.

Although it is not quite as "clean" as a traditional Kolsch, this offering is quite tasty in it's own right.

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

A: Aggressive pour yields 1/4 finger of white head with poor retention. More head please. Liquid is clear pale lemon yellow. Color is right on for the style.
S: Lime, mostly hops, some clean bready malt. More diversity please.
T: Some bread and clean malt. Modest hopping in the center and finish. Slightly metallic finish that I don't remember from the last one I had. Hops seem to be from the noble group.
M: Dry finish, a bit of sweetness precedes that.
O: Refreshing and generally enjoyable. Metallic taste is a bit off-putting. I would like another and I did buy again. Nice to have on a hot day.

Pours a mostly clear, yellow color. Not too much of a scent with some grains and wheat. Taste is rather malty while the texture seems a little too thin. There are some hints of citrus. Being my first Kolsch style beer, I’m not sure if this is good or not for the style. Quite drinkable, just wish there was some more volume and taste to the beer.

3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

3.67/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: a light yellow color. strong haziness. small white head that leaves a little bit of a lacing.

Smell: spicy pilsner matls. more lager malts. some citrus

Taste: opens up with malts, a spicy one and a bready one. slight citrusy hops that finishes with a musty grassy taste

Mouthfeel: no hop bitterness. pretty light but not quite clean enough

Overall: a solid beer but not outstanding.

3.97/5  rDev +4.5%

Bottled 3/21/14. Poured 7/1/14.

Appearance: Aggressive pour gave about a finger of white head that went away pretty quickly. The beer is banana yellow in color with a pretty big haze. Just about no lacing.

Smell: True to the style and then some. Spicy. Biscuity sort of malt. Hay sort of quality. Maybe a banana-y ester. Nice bit of hopping. Smells excellent.

Taste/feel: Damn that is tasty. First, the beer has an unexpected semi-creamy texture with some good prickly carbonation. The taste is great. Biscuity malt, spiciness from the hops, a banana sort of flavor, a little wheat character... finish is super clean and not bitter.

Really nice. I haven't had many Kolsch's at all, but this is my favorite so far. It's just a great beer.A light ABV beer that isn't light on flavor is always a plus. For the style, this IS outstanding.

3.97/5  rDev +4.5%

A great spring time style beer, smells great looks great and taste great. Bottled for the first time in 2012 wish they had bottled it in 2013 but is currently at the pub and worth a growler fill for sure. Not my favorite style of beer but done well enough that I like it.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Kolsch 45 from Short's Brewing Company