Cornholio - Short's Brewing Company

CornholioCornholio

good

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Baltic Porter |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: DannyDan on 07-10-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

AlexFields

Tennessee

2.04/5  rDev -42.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Pours jet black with a thin head.

Smells like flat, warm root beer mixed with a touch of red wine. Not so appealing. The nice thing is the aroma isn't too strong.

Wow...tart expired fruit, gravel and dirt, cola, grass. This is bad.

Mouthfeel a little thin.

3.8/10

03-09-2013 22:03:04 | More by AlexFields
Rhettroactive

2.05/5  rDev -42.6%

From 12oz bottle to Bruges hybrid glass on 4/7/12
*From notes

A: Ashy tree bark brown. A good pour yields a two finger head. Moderate retention. Minor collar and lacing.

S: Rusted metal that has somehow sprouted red fruit.

T: What a shocker: a Short's beer that tastes odd. It's like they were aiming to make a sour without the wild yeast. Der....just do it then. There's a sharp char to the brew, that's met by a wholly unwanted tang on the back end. Not coming together for me. And as it warms, a (not so) lovely mix of tobacco and Carolina BBQ sauce find their way onto my tongue.

M: The carbonation cuts my palate like a street thug yielding a shank. too many bubbles, not nearly enough finesse.

O: If this beer was a person, it'd be the kid in the corner who shat himself, then proceeded to stick his finger in his "Cornholio" and smell it.

I think you get the point.

04-12-2012 21:16:25 | More by Rhettroactive
avaldivia

2.5/5  rDev -30%

01-27-2012 04:14:59 | More by avaldivia
auroracrisis

Kentucky

2.5/5  rDev -30%

Bottle into a Bruery tulip.

Pitch black with blood read highlights. An off white head and mocha head.

Sweet, caramel like malt up front with hints of beets and plums. A touch of nuttiness and generic spice.

Beet and plum flavors with hints of yam sweetness. That nuttiness returns and moves into a full on bitter, vegetable like bitterness once swallowed. After flavor of squash and roots. This honestly tastes like a few slices of plum, squash, and beets thrown into a blender with a Newcastle.

Medium body with low carbonation, a little sticky but not too noticeable.

Strange vegetable flavors with a little bit of nuts and spice. Not really my thing and I drain poured the last half of it.

01-25-2012 07:54:46 | More by auroracrisis
gueuzegossage

2.75/5  rDev -23%

05-09-2012 19:35:53 | More by gueuzegossage
Bmoyer0301

2.9/5  rDev -18.8%

Appearance:

Tonight I am going with a one of the many pint glasses that I have in the collection, my Dogfish Head pub tumbler. Nothing fancy to write home about but it always works great and it features one of tonight’s breweries which I felt was appropriate. Upon pulling off the cap I was greeted with a lower than normal hissing sound and the carbonation gasses faded away pretty quickly. On the pour I titled my glass on a standard forty five degree angle and went to town. As the liquid hits my glass I am noticing a deep dark brown color with slight plum or purplish color around the edges when I hold it up to the light. When I was done there was a frothy two finger thick mocha cream colored head that just lingered for quite a long time. On the viscosity check, I gave a decent swirl and was left with some long running, heavy clinging foam streaks slithering down the walls oh so slowly.

Smell:

This is very interesting, the porter and chocolate roast flavors really are the front and center here but when I dig a little deeper I can smell the plum tartness. Even more prominent is a black cherry and grape tannin aroma that is lingering across the whole glass. A minimal amount of brown sugar can be detected with other sweet caramel like flavors and a touch of coffee in the finish.

Taste:

Yikes, this hit me like a ton of bricks on the first sip. So much so that I wasn’t even sure to smile with pleasure of wince in taste bud pain. Well there are a few things going on here first, the mouth feel is a lot thinner than I expected and really disappears from your palate quickly. Secondly, a huge wave of roasty bitterness comes on then pulls a one eighty in your mouth and turns tart from the plums I believe. A definite corn flavor is sliding in there and it even has a little bit of a “green” earthy flavor, almost like eating the husk or stalk. As I let my glass warm up a bit, things just get weirder and a long lasting astringent tea bag flavor is coming out and making it a little bit more of a chore finish. But none the less I must go on..

Drinkability:

Well I can comfortably say that this beer might not be for everyone. There are a lot of really strong and dry bitter flavors all over the place and the plum tartness adds another funky twist that a novice palate might not enjoy. Me on the other hand I feel it’s a decent beer but not something that I will be going out of my way to try again. I am very thankful Matt hooked me up with this one tonight because I would have missed the opportunity to give it a try. All three breweries make great beers and I am not going to say that this was a failure but it is a little weak for a collaboration beer from these guys

09-25-2011 23:27:18 | More by Bmoyer0301
dayan

2.95/5  rDev -17.4%

12oz bottle, received as an extra in a trade. Thanks Tom!

A - Very dark brown with a loose tan head. Nice lacing and retention.

S - Floral and roasty, with some stone fruits and bready notes toward the end.

T - Holy adjuncts. The dry corn taste is very prominent and aggressive, giving way to somewhat bitter, tannic plum flavors and a slight acetic aftertaste. An intriguing roasty/herbal finish sometimes pokes through, but I can't really get past the corn.

M - Light-bodied, a little mealy, medium carbonation.

O - I've had a few of Short's weirder one-offs and generally enjoy them, but I can't say I ever need to seek this one out again. It's definitely a unique take on the style, but it might just not be my thing.

12-09-2011 08:39:25 | More by dayan

bishocr

02-10-2012 16:05:59 | More by bishocr
womencantsail

3.1/5  rDev -13.2%

Thanks to Derek for this beer.

A: The beer is a dark brown color with a tall off-white head.

S: A pretty strange/interesting aroma. It's fairly peppery with a mild tartness that seems to be from the plums. Speaking of which, there's a decent amount of fruit as well as some toasted and mildly roasted malts. Just a hint of smoke and a little bit of metal.

T: The flavor is definitely a bit metallic with quite a bit of water. There's a mild roast as well as a light plum flavor; not as much as I expected, anyway. The beer is fairly bitter and has some bread and pepper flavors with a bit of toast.

M: The body is sort of light for a porter with medium carbonation.

O: I guess I shouldn't be shocked by this, but I wasn't a big fan. It sounded interesting, but the flavors didn't work out for me.

08-22-2011 06:40:28 | More by womencantsail
resistdefy

05-26-2012 16:29:54 | More by resistdefy
AgentZero

3.25/5  rDev -9%

Thanks to MasterSki for sharing this.

A - Purplish brown beer with a beige head that faded to a tight ring, just some tiny spots left on the sides.

S - Plums, lager yeast, little bit of roast, some strange popcorn smell. Smells a bit medicinal and odd, but it's okay.

T - Pretty heavy on the plums, with something of a medicinal quality. It's fruity, with a wacked out aftertaste that I'm not impressed with, is that the weird popcorn effect? Meh, didn't care for it.

M - Medium bodied, good carbonation, no complaints.

O - Beer is just kind of strange. It doesn't taste bad, just weird. On the plus side, it's not infected (yet).

10-05-2011 01:33:21 | More by AgentZero
spycow

03-10-2013 23:44:31 | More by spycow
XmnwildX12

12-13-2013 02:04:44 | More by XmnwildX12
woosterbill

Connecticut

3.33/5  rDev -6.7%

12oz bottle into a Weyerbacher tulip. Thanks to Chris for sharing this little bit of weirdness.

A: Brown body, ropey with sediment, under a thin head of fine tan foam. Ok retention and lacing. Average, if a bit light-colored for a Baltic Porter.

S: Huh. Dull, herbal, and bready. Smells dry, slightly spicy, and surprisingly boring.

T: Slightly chocolatey roastedness up front (finally a sign that it might actually be a porter!), followed by almost tart herbalness and a clean finish. Weird, but somehow not all that interesting. Not unpleasant in the least, just shockingly unremarkable.

M: Fairly light body with low carbonation. Pleasantly soft and understated.

O: When I saw who the collaborators were and read the list of insane adjuncts, I was expecting something memorable and crazy; instead I got a thoroughly pedestrian beer that resembled a mediocre brown ale more than anything else. At least it hid its alcohol well!

Cheers!