Cornholio - Short's Brewing Company

CornholioCornholio

good

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Baltic Porter |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: DannyDan on 07-10-2011)

1.75/5  rDev -50.8%

2.04/5  rDev -42.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Pours jet black with a thin head.

Smells like flat, warm root beer mixed with a touch of red wine. Not so appealing. The nice thing is the aroma isn't too strong.

Wow...tart expired fruit, gravel and dirt, cola, grass. This is bad.

Mouthfeel a little thin.

3.8/10

2.05/5  rDev -42.4%

From 12oz bottle to Bruges hybrid glass on 4/7/12
*From notes

A: Ashy tree bark brown. A good pour yields a two finger head. Moderate retention. Minor collar and lacing.

S: Rusted metal that has somehow sprouted red fruit.

T: What a shocker: a Short's beer that tastes odd. It's like they were aiming to make a sour without the wild yeast. Der....just do it then. There's a sharp char to the brew, that's met by a wholly unwanted tang on the back end. Not coming together for me. And as it warms, a (not so) lovely mix of tobacco and Carolina BBQ sauce find their way onto my tongue.

M: The carbonation cuts my palate like a street thug yielding a shank. too many bubbles, not nearly enough finesse.

O: If this beer was a person, it'd be the kid in the corner who shat himself, then proceeded to stick his finger in his "Cornholio" and smell it.

I think you get the point.

2.5/5  rDev -29.8%

2.5/5  rDev -29.8%

Bottle into a Bruery tulip.

Pitch black with blood read highlights. An off white head and mocha head.

Sweet, caramel like malt up front with hints of beets and plums. A touch of nuttiness and generic spice.

Beet and plum flavors with hints of yam sweetness. That nuttiness returns and moves into a full on bitter, vegetable like bitterness once swallowed. After flavor of squash and roots. This honestly tastes like a few slices of plum, squash, and beets thrown into a blender with a Newcastle.

Medium body with low carbonation, a little sticky but not too noticeable.

Strange vegetable flavors with a little bit of nuts and spice. Not really my thing and I drain poured the last half of it.

2.75/5  rDev -22.8%

2.9/5  rDev -18.5%

Appearance:

Tonight I am going with a one of the many pint glasses that I have in the collection, my Dogfish Head pub tumbler. Nothing fancy to write home about but it always works great and it features one of tonight’s breweries which I felt was appropriate. Upon pulling off the cap I was greeted with a lower than normal hissing sound and the carbonation gasses faded away pretty quickly. On the pour I titled my glass on a standard forty five degree angle and went to town. As the liquid hits my glass I am noticing a deep dark brown color with slight plum or purplish color around the edges when I hold it up to the light. When I was done there was a frothy two finger thick mocha cream colored head that just lingered for quite a long time. On the viscosity check, I gave a decent swirl and was left with some long running, heavy clinging foam streaks slithering down the walls oh so slowly.

Smell:

This is very interesting, the porter and chocolate roast flavors really are the front and center here but when I dig a little deeper I can smell the plum tartness. Even more prominent is a black cherry and grape tannin aroma that is lingering across the whole glass. A minimal amount of brown sugar can be detected with other sweet caramel like flavors and a touch of coffee in the finish.

Taste:

Yikes, this hit me like a ton of bricks on the first sip. So much so that I wasn’t even sure to smile with pleasure of wince in taste bud pain. Well there are a few things going on here first, the mouth feel is a lot thinner than I expected and really disappears from your palate quickly. Secondly, a huge wave of roasty bitterness comes on then pulls a one eighty in your mouth and turns tart from the plums I believe. A definite corn flavor is sliding in there and it even has a little bit of a “green” earthy flavor, almost like eating the husk or stalk. As I let my glass warm up a bit, things just get weirder and a long lasting astringent tea bag flavor is coming out and making it a little bit more of a chore finish. But none the less I must go on..

Drinkability:

Well I can comfortably say that this beer might not be for everyone. There are a lot of really strong and dry bitter flavors all over the place and the plum tartness adds another funky twist that a novice palate might not enjoy. Me on the other hand I feel it’s a decent beer but not something that I will be going out of my way to try again. I am very thankful Matt hooked me up with this one tonight because I would have missed the opportunity to give it a try. All three breweries make great beers and I am not going to say that this was a failure but it is a little weak for a collaboration beer from these guys

2.95/5  rDev -17.1%

12oz bottle, received as an extra in a trade. Thanks Tom!

A - Very dark brown with a loose tan head. Nice lacing and retention.

S - Floral and roasty, with some stone fruits and bready notes toward the end.

T - Holy adjuncts. The dry corn taste is very prominent and aggressive, giving way to somewhat bitter, tannic plum flavors and a slight acetic aftertaste. An intriguing roasty/herbal finish sometimes pokes through, but I can't really get past the corn.

M - Light-bodied, a little mealy, medium carbonation.

O - I've had a few of Short's weirder one-offs and generally enjoy them, but I can't say I ever need to seek this one out again. It's definitely a unique take on the style, but it might just not be my thing.

Bottle: Poured a black color porter with a small foamy had. Aroma of light roasted malt with some spices and beets notes. Taste is not as eclectic as expected with some roasted malt notes with beet notes being clearly identifiable (even though I am aware that there are no actual beets in this beer as far as I know). Body is light with medium carbonation. Not bad but somewhat bland and not particularly enjoyable.

3.1/5  rDev -12.9%

Thanks to Derek for this beer.

A: The beer is a dark brown color with a tall off-white head.

S: A pretty strange/interesting aroma. It's fairly peppery with a mild tartness that seems to be from the plums. Speaking of which, there's a decent amount of fruit as well as some toasted and mildly roasted malts. Just a hint of smoke and a little bit of metal.

T: The flavor is definitely a bit metallic with quite a bit of water. There's a mild roast as well as a light plum flavor; not as much as I expected, anyway. The beer is fairly bitter and has some bread and pepper flavors with a bit of toast.

M: The body is sort of light for a porter with medium carbonation.

O: I guess I shouldn't be shocked by this, but I wasn't a big fan. It sounded interesting, but the flavors didn't work out for me.

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

Shared at a 10K review beer tasting; drank from a Hill Farmstead stemmed snifter.

This one didn't come togther for me; it felt odd, for odd's sake with lots of competing flavors and aromas. The nose and taste were dominated by roasted malt, plums, herbal notes, spice and molassas. I liked that for this colab, they swung for the fences, but even Babe Ruth struck out.

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

Thanks to MasterSki for sharing this.

A - Purplish brown beer with a beige head that faded to a tight ring, just some tiny spots left on the sides.

S - Plums, lager yeast, little bit of roast, some strange popcorn smell. Smells a bit medicinal and odd, but it's okay.

T - Pretty heavy on the plums, with something of a medicinal quality. It's fruity, with a wacked out aftertaste that I'm not impressed with, is that the weird popcorn effect? Meh, didn't care for it.

M - Medium bodied, good carbonation, no complaints.

O - Beer is just kind of strange. It doesn't taste bad, just weird. On the plus side, it's not infected (yet).

Cornholio from Short's Brewing Company