Cornholio - Short's Brewing Company

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
2.06/5  rDev -42.9%

From 12oz bottle to Bruges hybrid glass on 4/7/12
*From notes

A: Ashy tree bark brown. A good pour yields a two finger head. Moderate retention. Minor collar and lacing.

S: Rusted metal that has somehow sprouted red fruit.

T: What a shocker: a Short's beer that tastes odd. It's like they were aiming to make a sour without the wild yeast. Der....just do it then. There's a sharp char to the brew, that's met by a wholly unwanted tang on the back end. Not coming together for me. And as it warms, a (not so) lovely mix of tobacco and Carolina BBQ sauce find their way onto my tongue.

M: The carbonation cuts my palate like a street thug yielding a shank. too many bubbles, not nearly enough finesse.

O: If this beer was a person, it'd be the kid in the corner who shat himself, then proceeded to stick his finger in his "Cornholio" and smell it.

I think you get the point. (878 characters)

2.07/5  rDev -42.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Pours jet black with a thin head.

Smells like flat, warm root beer mixed with a touch of red wine. Not so appealing. The nice thing is the aroma isn't too strong.

Wow...tart expired fruit, gravel and dirt, cola, grass. This is bad.

Mouthfeel a little thin.

3.8/10 (267 characters)

2.54/5  rDev -29.6%

Bottle into a Bruery tulip.

Pitch black with blood read highlights. An off white head and mocha head.

Sweet, caramel like malt up front with hints of beets and plums. A touch of nuttiness and generic spice.

Beet and plum flavors with hints of yam sweetness. That nuttiness returns and moves into a full on bitter, vegetable like bitterness once swallowed. After flavor of squash and roots. This honestly tastes like a few slices of plum, squash, and beets thrown into a blender with a Newcastle.

Medium body with low carbonation, a little sticky but not too noticeable.

Strange vegetable flavors with a little bit of nuts and spice. Not really my thing and I drain poured the last half of it. (699 characters)

Bottle: Poured a black color porter with a small foamy had. Aroma of light roasted malt with some spices and beets notes. Taste is not as eclectic as expected with some roasted malt notes with beet notes being clearly identifiable (even though I am aware that there are no actual beets in this beer as far as I know). Body is light with medium carbonation. Not bad but somewhat bland and not particularly enjoyable. (416 characters)

Appearance:

Tonight I am going with a one of the many pint glasses that I have in the collection, my Dogfish Head pub tumbler. Nothing fancy to write home about but it always works great and it features one of tonight’s breweries which I felt was appropriate. Upon pulling off the cap I was greeted with a lower than normal hissing sound and the carbonation gasses faded away pretty quickly. On the pour I titled my glass on a standard forty five degree angle and went to town. As the liquid hits my glass I am noticing a deep dark brown color with slight plum or purplish color around the edges when I hold it up to the light. When I was done there was a frothy two finger thick mocha cream colored head that just lingered for quite a long time. On the viscosity check, I gave a decent swirl and was left with some long running, heavy clinging foam streaks slithering down the walls oh so slowly.

Smell:

This is very interesting, the porter and chocolate roast flavors really are the front and center here but when I dig a little deeper I can smell the plum tartness. Even more prominent is a black cherry and grape tannin aroma that is lingering across the whole glass. A minimal amount of brown sugar can be detected with other sweet caramel like flavors and a touch of coffee in the finish.

Taste:

Yikes, this hit me like a ton of bricks on the first sip. So much so that I wasn’t even sure to smile with pleasure of wince in taste bud pain. Well there are a few things going on here first, the mouth feel is a lot thinner than I expected and really disappears from your palate quickly. Secondly, a huge wave of roasty bitterness comes on then pulls a one eighty in your mouth and turns tart from the plums I believe. A definite corn flavor is sliding in there and it even has a little bit of a “green” earthy flavor, almost like eating the husk or stalk. As I let my glass warm up a bit, things just get weirder and a long lasting astringent tea bag flavor is coming out and making it a little bit more of a chore finish. But none the less I must go on..

Drinkability:

Well I can comfortably say that this beer might not be for everyone. There are a lot of really strong and dry bitter flavors all over the place and the plum tartness adds another funky twist that a novice palate might not enjoy. Me on the other hand I feel it’s a decent beer but not something that I will be going out of my way to try again. I am very thankful Matt hooked me up with this one tonight because I would have missed the opportunity to give it a try. All three breweries make great beers and I am not going to say that this was a failure but it is a little weak for a collaboration beer from these guys (2,706 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -16.3%

12oz bottle, received as an extra in a trade. Thanks Tom!

A - Very dark brown with a loose tan head. Nice lacing and retention.

S - Floral and roasty, with some stone fruits and bready notes toward the end.

T - Holy adjuncts. The dry corn taste is very prominent and aggressive, giving way to somewhat bitter, tannic plum flavors and a slight acetic aftertaste. An intriguing roasty/herbal finish sometimes pokes through, but I can't really get past the corn.

M - Light-bodied, a little mealy, medium carbonation.

O - I've had a few of Short's weirder one-offs and generally enjoy them, but I can't say I ever need to seek this one out again. It's definitely a unique take on the style, but it might just not be my thing. (728 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -13.9%

Thanks to Derek for this beer.

A: The beer is a dark brown color with a tall off-white head.

S: A pretty strange/interesting aroma. It's fairly peppery with a mild tartness that seems to be from the plums. Speaking of which, there's a decent amount of fruit as well as some toasted and mildly roasted malts. Just a hint of smoke and a little bit of metal.

T: The flavor is definitely a bit metallic with quite a bit of water. There's a mild roast as well as a light plum flavor; not as much as I expected, anyway. The beer is fairly bitter and has some bread and pepper flavors with a bit of toast.

M: The body is sort of light for a porter with medium carbonation.

O: I guess I shouldn't be shocked by this, but I wasn't a big fan. It sounded interesting, but the flavors didn't work out for me. (801 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -10%

Shared at a 10K review beer tasting; drank from a Hill Farmstead stemmed snifter.

This one didn't come togther for me; it felt odd, for odd's sake with lots of competing flavors and aromas. The nose and taste were dominated by roasted malt, plums, herbal notes, spice and molassas. I liked that for this colab, they swung for the fences, but even Babe Ruth struck out. (370 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Bottle poured into a snifter. Reviewing this "streaming" in order.

A - Light pour yields a deep brown, red, and purple non-transparent brew with a finger and a half head that dissipates slow leaving a fairly nice lacing.

S - Uh oh. Smells like silage just getting near it... It may be a combination of the corn and a chocolate with malts and plums, but it's definitely coming off as a slight garbage smell.

T - Much better than the smell. A lot of chocolate and roasted malt taste. A nice roasted corn taste finishes it off. I'm missing the plums here. Was hoping to top it off sour. Actually reminds me a lot of their Black Licorice Lager in a different way of course.

M - Very smooth and incredibly drinkable. Mild carbonation and a really great balance. Drinks like a lager, feels like a porter.

D - I picked this up as a mix 6 on a visit to the brew pub. I was pretty excited for this and while it didn't live up to all I had hoped and dreamed, I'm still finding it quite enjoyable. Glad I picked up a couple. (1,018 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -9.1%

Thanks to MasterSki for sharing this.

A - Purplish brown beer with a beige head that faded to a tight ring, just some tiny spots left on the sides.

S - Plums, lager yeast, little bit of roast, some strange popcorn smell. Smells a bit medicinal and odd, but it's okay.

T - Pretty heavy on the plums, with something of a medicinal quality. It's fruity, with a wacked out aftertaste that I'm not impressed with, is that the weird popcorn effect? Meh, didn't care for it.

M - Medium bodied, good carbonation, no complaints.

O - Beer is just kind of strange. It doesn't taste bad, just weird. On the plus side, it's not infected (yet). (635 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -8.6%

12oz bottle into a Weyerbacher tulip. Thanks to Chris for sharing this little bit of weirdness.

A: Brown body, ropey with sediment, under a thin head of fine tan foam. Ok retention and lacing. Average, if a bit light-colored for a Baltic Porter.

S: Huh. Dull, herbal, and bready. Smells dry, slightly spicy, and surprisingly boring.

T: Slightly chocolatey roastedness up front (finally a sign that it might actually be a porter!), followed by almost tart herbalness and a clean finish. Weird, but somehow not all that interesting. Not unpleasant in the least, just shockingly unremarkable.

M: Fairly light body with low carbonation. Pleasantly soft and understated.

O: When I saw who the collaborators were and read the list of insane adjuncts, I was expecting something memorable and crazy; instead I got a thoroughly pedestrian beer that resembled a mediocre brown ale more than anything else. At least it hid its alcohol well!

Cheers! (944 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -6.9%

a - jet black with an extremely thin and quickly dissipating sandy lace left behind....

s - somewhat smoky, roasted malts, maybe hints of fruit?

t - strange and peppery...definite grainy w/ roasty dark malt taste..somewhat spicy...

m - smooth and creamy with a quick spicy bite at the end... interesting...

o - a different kind of beer....worth a shot.. (357 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -6.4%

Thanks to klipper for this one. Served in a Darkness glass which watching baseball with Mike. Bottle is dated 8/2/2011.

A - A half-finger of quick-dissolving tan foam settles to a thin collar, some wisps on top, and tiny spots of lace. Dark purple-brown body.

S - Wow - there's actually a hint of popcorn present here, sans butter of course. Otherwise it's mostly chocolate, plums, other dark fruits, and roasted malts. I didn't realize this was a Baltic Porter - the bottle calls this a Strong Dark Lager.

T - Taste is mostly dark roasted malts, chocolate, and there's a slightly medicinal finish - is that from the horehound? A bit too smokey and bitter for my tastes, but otherwise it's decent.

M - Smooth, medium-full body, well-hidden alcohol, slightly tannic from all the bonus ingredients, and a clean lager finish.

D - Well, it's the best popcorn beer I've had, but I've only had two and the Eccentric Ale was horrendous. I wouldn't get this one again unless I didn't have any better options - 6oz was plenty. (1,022 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured from a bottle held at refrigerated temperatures since July, into the old Sam Adams perfect pint glass. Listening to Cave songs on YouTube...

A - Rich dark brown body with amber tints, topped by two solid fingers of tan head. Good retention and lacing.

S - Hops, sweeter coffee and slightly astringent roasted malts are quite dominating in the nose, making me have to work to pick up the various additives. The plums and horehound really do add a nice minty-sweetness, complimenting the slowly emerging almond notes.

T - Overall, this beer manages a pretty good balance on the palate, considering how aggressive the roasted malt and resin/spicey hops are. Almond nuttiness, dark chocolate, and dark fruit notes account for the sweetening flavors. The finish is quite clean for a beer of this size, minerally with a slight tang.

D - Definitely one that needs to be served at around 50F. When it was all said and done, I found myself enjoying this beer, but at the same time surprised by how straightforward it ended up tasting. (1,037 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -3.6%

Growler pour into a pint glass. This is a dark brown/black and well carbonated. Smells of dark roasted malts, corn, caramel, and plums. Taste is a blend of sweet malt and corn, molasses, and a slight alcohol bite. Hops are slightly present at the end. Drinkability is excellent. (278 characters)

3.49/5  rDev -3.3%

A: Poured into my bruery tulip a dark black with a tan head that is thick around the edges, not very present in the center of the glass.

S: Mostly tart plum with some dark roast malt. Some of that signature lactic sourness that some Shorts beers have.

T: First bitter, then tart at the same time. Dark roasted malts playing with dark plums. Sweetness at the end with a tannic chalky feeling from the Horehound I believe. I do not know that the red popcorn has added a lot of flavor, but would say that it probably has added a little bit of earthiness and light red tinge to the beer where you can see the edges. As for horehound, this is my first time trying it in anything, not sure if I can taste it and it is bitter, or if I am picking up other flavors here.

After a little research, apparently livestock do not like to eat horehound. I have to imagine that it is in fact from the bitterness and cloying taste it adds. I wouldnt say this necessarily makes this beer more desirable, but I would go as far as saying that it does make this beer unique.

M: medium mouthfeel and a medium carbonation. Just about right for a baltic porter. Maybe a tad light but otherwise good.

O: This is an interesting beer. I wouldnt drink a six pack of it, but one seemed to pique my interest enough for this snowy day. (1,310 characters)

3.49/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A-darl brown color with a nice light tan head with some lacing

S-dark roasted malt, plums, brown sugar,spices

T-dark roasted malt, brown sugar, chocolate, tart grapes, slight bitter finish

F-medium body with moderate carbonation, smooth, but a little tart and astringent

O-certainly different, not bad, but would not seek it out (332 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -3%

Dark dark brown. Finger of off white head. Retention and lacing are alright.

Smells of some bakers chocolate and ash. Maybe some corn.

Tastes similar kinda of just a chalky and roasty. A bit estery.

Mouthfeel is alright. Medium bodied. Low carbonation. Ok, but nothing special. (280 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -2.8%

A: Black pour with more than two fingers of brown head. The foamy head leaves behind beautiful lacing and retention.

S: Considering everything this beer was brewed with...it really only smells like a baltic porter. Roasted malts, chocolate, and some other misplaced aromas.

T: The taste is not the same story. Baltic porter is definitely the base, but some really strange other flavors are there as well. Fruits and spices mostly. I don't really understand all the random stuff that went into this beer, but I don't hate it. I don't think it's great, but certainly interesting.

MF: Heavy body with a nice amount of carbonation. Drinkability is a tad low.

O: I got this as an extra in a trade and I'm surely glad I tried it. I highly doubt I would jump to get another, but it was interesting. I wish I knew what any of the ingredients of this beer tasted like so I could tell what they lended to the beer. (908 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a twelve ounce bottle into an imperial pint glass. Good label I guess. Not sure I would call this a baltic porter. It lacks the depth and malt profile that should be consistent with the said style. But it is a nice dunkel lager. Well rounded and easy to drink. Not sure it is worth all the hype, but a decent beer to wash down some grub I guess. (357 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -0.8%

Poured from a bottle into a goblet. I think the beer name is misspelled on BA and the bottle says it is a dark lager.

Appearance: Pours black with a finger and a half of tan head that fades to a thin layer on top of the pour and leaves some nice lacing.

Smell: Roasty and sweet. Notes of dark chocolate and dark fruit from the plums. I'm picking up some herbal notes as well.

Taste: Roasty up front. Some coffee and dark chocolate notes. There is some flavor from the plums, but it kind of gets covered up by the roast. The finish is mildly herbal and quite roasty. Interesting.

Mouthfeel: On the thick side of medium with very smooth carbonation. Very slight dryness in the finish.

Overall: I'm not sure that I loved this beer, but I'm really glad to try it. I thought some of the other flavors were hidden by the roast. I don't know that I'd have another. (862 characters)

3.62/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Excited to have a Shorts/DFH/FFF collaboration beer! Poured into a pint glass

A: Aggressive pour yields 1/2 finger of brown head with poor retention - better retention please. Nearly opaque DARK brown.
S: Clean roasted grain, slight fruity sweet edge. Interesting, but not terribly complex.
T: Interesting. Fruity, a bit tart and slightly wild. Improves with warmth/time and grows on me. Dark chocolate notes in aftertaste. Quite nice and unique. Slight cough syrup flavor is a negative. A bit medicinally bitter, like aspirin.
M: Opens and closes dry. A bit tart or wild, brett? A tad thin.
O: Enjoyable. I wouldn't buy 6, but I might order a second. Proof that a collaboration between three great brewers doesn't always produce beer that is equal to or 3x greater than those produced by the brewers working alone. (816 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +1.1%

Thanks TheGr8BeerState and decadance for this one! My first Short's beer.

This one poured a very dark brown copper color with about a one inch thick tan head.

Smelled of root beer, bananas and brown sugar. Has a very Belgian yeasty smell to it. Looking forwards to the taste...

First sip was totally different than expected. Burnt pepper corns and coffee. Then after the bitter ashy flavors die down, you get some caramel and dark fruit skins.

Mouthfeel is medium and the tastes linger on the tongue for a while.

Not a bad beer, looking forward to more Short's brews. (572 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +1.1%

Poured into a Short's pint glass.

A: About a half to full finger of tan head - pours a brownish purple color.

S: You can definitely smell the Peppercorn, otherwise the small is typical roasted malts with hints of other fruits and even chocolate?

T: Kind of a sweet taste up front that mellows out as it finishes - smooth, not bitter. Everything seems to mesh pretty well, I cant quite put my finger on a distinct flavor.

M: Smooth, little carbonation. You can barely taste the alcohol, definitely on the ligher side of porters.

D - Certainly an interesting beer given the knowledge of what they brewed it with. While it's not intolerable in mass quantities as some of their delicious but sweet dessert beers, I don't see myself wanting multiples of this in a night. However it's pretty solid overall. (805 characters)

3.78/5  rDev +4.7%

A- Pours a very dark brown bordering on black. The light brown head is thin and splotchy but what is there is creamy.

S- Smells both rosary and tart. Hints of smoke and sour fruit. Intriguing.

T- A very complex and unique combination of flavors. Smoke, tart plums, and a touch of something I can't put my finger on... Maybe it is the corn.

M- A creamy carbonation keeps it smooth and light.

O- A very unique beer (expected from Short's). The plums add a really nice aspect to this beer. Doesn't really up to the hype, but it is definitely worth trying. (558 characters)

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast