Cornholio - Short's Brewing Company

CornholioCornholio

good

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Baltic Porter |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: DannyDan on 07-10-2011)

JAHMUR, Nov 27, 2011

pocwolf, Nov 23, 2011

Another6Pack, Nov 22, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

mmcnaughton, Nov 22, 2011
3.53/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a twelve ounce bottle into an imperial pint glass. Good label I guess. Not sure I would call this a baltic porter. It lacks the depth and malt profile that should be consistent with the said style. But it is a nice dunkel lager. Well rounded and easy to drink. Not sure it is worth all the hype, but a decent beer to wash down some grub I guess.

rye726, Nov 21, 2011

FedExPope, Nov 21, 2011
4.08/5  rDev +14.6%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Dark brown in color with almost no light coming through. One finger light mocha colored head, with good retention and lacing.

S: Plums are very present. Slight chocolate notes and brown sugar. A faint hint of popcorn. And very faint vinegar aroma. Still pretty good, although different, aroma.

T: Slight chocolate upfront with a touch of toffee. Big plums with slight raisin notes in the middle. Finishing with a slight popcorn flavor.

M: Medium light body. Lower carbonation. A touch creamy. Good mouth coating.

O: Was almost afraid of this beer, but definitely glad I had it. Pretty damn good considering how off style it is.

doughanson78, Nov 21, 2011

Adamostella, Nov 14, 2011

Miamilice, Nov 14, 2011

deep dark brwon, pretty much black, very opaque and thick looking. Huge creamy tan head lifted up to about two inches,

rich caramel and coffee tones dominated this from the beginning. Very sweet smelling, with a hint of chocolate on the back. Very full aroma, and a hint of alcohol. loaded with caramel and chocolate tones. A touch of alcohol warmed it up as well. Lots of roasted coffee tones in the back, and a nice bitter, dry hoppy finish. This was a really well rounded and full taste. Very nice indeed.

mikesgroove, Nov 11, 2011

10/30/2011

Thanks, Carlos!

A: Dark brown with a small head.

S: Baked bread with notes of sugar and sweet plum. I get some grape and biscuit with a touch of roast.

T: Chocolate and roasted grain meld with plum and grape. The finish is clean and exhibits dark fruit and lingering chocolate.

M: Medium body with upper moderate carbonation.

Overall: Good stuff. Much better than the label description.

HopHead84, Oct 31, 2011
3.35/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Bottle poured into a snifter. Reviewing this "streaming" in order.

A - Light pour yields a deep brown, red, and purple non-transparent brew with a finger and a half head that dissipates slow leaving a fairly nice lacing.

S - Uh oh. Smells like silage just getting near it... It may be a combination of the corn and a chocolate with malts and plums, but it's definitely coming off as a slight garbage smell.

T - Much better than the smell. A lot of chocolate and roasted malt taste. A nice roasted corn taste finishes it off. I'm missing the plums here. Was hoping to top it off sour. Actually reminds me a lot of their Black Licorice Lager in a different way of course.

M - Very smooth and incredibly drinkable. Mild carbonation and a really great balance. Drinks like a lager, feels like a porter.

D - I picked this up as a mix 6 on a visit to the brew pub. I was pretty excited for this and while it didn't live up to all I had hoped and dreamed, I'm still finding it quite enjoyable. Glad I picked up a couple.

jmunsters, Oct 15, 2011
3.48/5  rDev -2.2%

Poured from a bottle held at refrigerated temperatures since July, into the old Sam Adams perfect pint glass. Listening to Cave songs on YouTube...

A - Rich dark brown body with amber tints, topped by two solid fingers of tan head. Good retention and lacing.

S - Hops, sweeter coffee and slightly astringent roasted malts are quite dominating in the nose, making me have to work to pick up the various additives. The plums and horehound really do add a nice minty-sweetness, complimenting the slowly emerging almond notes.

T - Overall, this beer manages a pretty good balance on the palate, considering how aggressive the roasted malt and resin/spicey hops are. Almond nuttiness, dark chocolate, and dark fruit notes account for the sweetening flavors. The finish is quite clean for a beer of this size, minerally with a slight tang.

D - Definitely one that needs to be served at around 50F. When it was all said and done, I found myself enjoying this beer, but at the same time surprised by how straightforward it ended up tasting.

SammyDavisJrJrJr, Oct 12, 2011
3.35/5  rDev -5.9%

Thanks to klipper for this one. Served in a Darkness glass which watching baseball with Mike. Bottle is dated 8/2/2011.

A - A half-finger of quick-dissolving tan foam settles to a thin collar, some wisps on top, and tiny spots of lace. Dark purple-brown body.

S - Wow - there's actually a hint of popcorn present here, sans butter of course. Otherwise it's mostly chocolate, plums, other dark fruits, and roasted malts. I didn't realize this was a Baltic Porter - the bottle calls this a Strong Dark Lager.

T - Taste is mostly dark roasted malts, chocolate, and there's a slightly medicinal finish - is that from the horehound? A bit too smokey and bitter for my tastes, but otherwise it's decent.

M - Smooth, medium-full body, well-hidden alcohol, slightly tannic from all the bonus ingredients, and a clean lager finish.

D - Well, it's the best popcorn beer I've had, but I've only had two and the Eccentric Ale was horrendous. I wouldn't get this one again unless I didn't have any better options - 6oz was plenty.

MasterSki, Oct 06, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

Thanks to MasterSki for sharing this.

A - Purplish brown beer with a beige head that faded to a tight ring, just some tiny spots left on the sides.

S - Plums, lager yeast, little bit of roast, some strange popcorn smell. Smells a bit medicinal and odd, but it's okay.

T - Pretty heavy on the plums, with something of a medicinal quality. It's fruity, with a wacked out aftertaste that I'm not impressed with, is that the weird popcorn effect? Meh, didn't care for it.

M - Medium bodied, good carbonation, no complaints.

O - Beer is just kind of strange. It doesn't taste bad, just weird. On the plus side, it's not infected (yet).

AgentZero, Oct 05, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +25.6%

Not going to make this a drawn out review just wanted to say that this beer had wonderful flavor alittle bit of hop dryness with slight plumb and peppercorn

Loved it drank 4 of them out of the 6 that i bought and im planning on picking up some more this weekend

If you can find it get some.

GoldenChild, Sep 28, 2011
2.9/5  rDev -18.5%

Appearance:

Tonight I am going with a one of the many pint glasses that I have in the collection, my Dogfish Head pub tumbler. Nothing fancy to write home about but it always works great and it features one of tonight’s breweries which I felt was appropriate. Upon pulling off the cap I was greeted with a lower than normal hissing sound and the carbonation gasses faded away pretty quickly. On the pour I titled my glass on a standard forty five degree angle and went to town. As the liquid hits my glass I am noticing a deep dark brown color with slight plum or purplish color around the edges when I hold it up to the light. When I was done there was a frothy two finger thick mocha cream colored head that just lingered for quite a long time. On the viscosity check, I gave a decent swirl and was left with some long running, heavy clinging foam streaks slithering down the walls oh so slowly.

Smell:

This is very interesting, the porter and chocolate roast flavors really are the front and center here but when I dig a little deeper I can smell the plum tartness. Even more prominent is a black cherry and grape tannin aroma that is lingering across the whole glass. A minimal amount of brown sugar can be detected with other sweet caramel like flavors and a touch of coffee in the finish.

Taste:

Yikes, this hit me like a ton of bricks on the first sip. So much so that I wasn’t even sure to smile with pleasure of wince in taste bud pain. Well there are a few things going on here first, the mouth feel is a lot thinner than I expected and really disappears from your palate quickly. Secondly, a huge wave of roasty bitterness comes on then pulls a one eighty in your mouth and turns tart from the plums I believe. A definite corn flavor is sliding in there and it even has a little bit of a “green” earthy flavor, almost like eating the husk or stalk. As I let my glass warm up a bit, things just get weirder and a long lasting astringent tea bag flavor is coming out and making it a little bit more of a chore finish. But none the less I must go on..

Drinkability:

Well I can comfortably say that this beer might not be for everyone. There are a lot of really strong and dry bitter flavors all over the place and the plum tartness adds another funky twist that a novice palate might not enjoy. Me on the other hand I feel it’s a decent beer but not something that I will be going out of my way to try again. I am very thankful Matt hooked me up with this one tonight because I would have missed the opportunity to give it a try. All three breweries make great beers and I am not going to say that this was a failure but it is a little weak for a collaboration beer from these guys

Bmoyer0301, Sep 26, 2011

A- poured the typical stout/ porter dark. has a dark tannish colored head. left a bit of lacing.

S- some spicy dark fruit. can notice a tad bit of booze but nothing to potent.

T- has the dark fruit kickin for sure. notice a slight amount of chocolate in there. prolly alil amount of 120 caramel too. different and nice. has that clean lager yeast characteristic. the alcohol is not as detectable as in the smell. notice a slight bubblegum prolly kickin off from the yeast.

M- light/medium bodied. good carbonation.

Drinkability- i wish i bought a whole 6 of this when i was at the brewpub!!

Overall- why the hell is this listed as a baltic porter when it say's dark lager? last i checked a porter is an ale not a lager. but anywho this beer is truely unique. something different and in a good way. cheers to the peep's at short's, dogfish, and three floyd's.

claminat420, Sep 20, 2011

Reviewed from notes: Thanks goes out to Klipper for hooking me up.

Appearance: dark brown black with a 1 finger tan head

smell: roast, spice, sweet, malts, dark fruits,

taste: roast, malts, spices,

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium to full body,

overall: interesting porter to say the least. glad I got to try it.

cheers,
The CPJ

THECPJ, Sep 10, 2011
3.53/5  rDev -0.8%

Poured from a bottle into a goblet. I think the beer name is misspelled on BA and the bottle says it is a dark lager.

Appearance: Pours black with a finger and a half of tan head that fades to a thin layer on top of the pour and leaves some nice lacing.

Smell: Roasty and sweet. Notes of dark chocolate and dark fruit from the plums. I'm picking up some herbal notes as well.

Taste: Roasty up front. Some coffee and dark chocolate notes. There is some flavor from the plums, but it kind of gets covered up by the roast. The finish is mildly herbal and quite roasty. Interesting.

Mouthfeel: On the thick side of medium with very smooth carbonation. Very slight dryness in the finish.

Overall: I'm not sure that I loved this beer, but I'm really glad to try it. I thought some of the other flavors were hidden by the roast. I don't know that I'd have another.

oline73, Sep 06, 2011
3.88/5  rDev +9%

Thanks to prototypic for breaking out this growler.

A - Cornholio pours a rich dark brown. Some lighter brown shows around the glass edges. The tan head tops out at a thin cap and recedes quickly to a barely there ring around the edges. Lacing is average..

S - Smokey with hints of charcoal up front. There is a nice punch of cocoa in the middle. There is a touch of alcohol heat that finishes things up. That's about it for the aroma. Not bad but could use a little more girth in this department.

T - Taste kind of follows aroma and has the oomph that was previously missing. Starts out dry and rough with a dose of roastiness. Bittersweet chocolate gives way to cocoa powder. Alcohol is relatively prominent midway to end but never gets in the way. Dark fruit starts to come through as it warms a little. Getting hints of cherry.

M - Body is good for the style. Pretty substantial but not crossing over into stout land. It's a little creamy with a warm and dry finish.

O - Overall this is a pretty good beverage. It almost hits all the notes I'd expect in a Baltic. Based on flavor it does come across as a touch stronger than 7%. The smokey dryness really overtakes any other typical flavors you'd expect. I wasn't really sure what to expect with this kind of collaboration but must admit they did a good job.

csmiley, Aug 30, 2011
3.1/5  rDev -12.9%

Thanks to Derek for this beer.

A: The beer is a dark brown color with a tall off-white head.

S: A pretty strange/interesting aroma. It's fairly peppery with a mild tartness that seems to be from the plums. Speaking of which, there's a decent amount of fruit as well as some toasted and mildly roasted malts. Just a hint of smoke and a little bit of metal.

T: The flavor is definitely a bit metallic with quite a bit of water. There's a mild roast as well as a light plum flavor; not as much as I expected, anyway. The beer is fairly bitter and has some bread and pepper flavors with a bit of toast.

M: The body is sort of light for a porter with medium carbonation.

O: I guess I shouldn't be shocked by this, but I wasn't a big fan. It sounded interesting, but the flavors didn't work out for me.

womencantsail, Aug 22, 2011
4.13/5  rDev +16%

Cornholio pours a very dark chocolate fudge color. It’s nearly opaque. Backlighting reveals a few burgundy highlights at the outermost edges. A tan head barely covers the surface. It falls back quickly, leaving light, spotty lacing behind.

The nose is pretty good. Honestly, it’s a little weak in the aromatics department. Roasted malts hit first and have a nice smell. Bittersweet dark chocolate follows, but isn’t as strong as the roasted malts. Coffee is there, but is definitely a secondary component. Light dark fruit, faint hops, and a little alcohol round it out.

The flavor is much more impressive. Frankly, it’s somewhat explosive. Roasted malts and bittersweet dark chocolate flavors are quite strong. The roasted variety is the stronger of the two, but there’s a healthy amount of chocolate. Coffee is also much more pronounced. I love that about it. It does have that classic acidic taste that’s common in Baltic Porters. Definitely works well into the mix here. A tangy dark fruit flavor is noted. Tastes like raisin to me. Alcohol is blended nicely and isn’t all that noticeable. Finishes roasty and chocolaty with a shot of java.

Cornholio has a medium body. Carbonation is dialed down nicely, and the bubbles feel thin. This stuff goes down super smooth and easy. I wouldn’t mind just a little bit more body, but it’s good as it is. I’m splitting the growler, but I’d be happy to take one down myself.

I understand that Cornholio is a collaboration between Short’s, Dogfish Head, and Three Floyds. I had high expectations given that list of heavy hitters. For the most part, it meets them. It’s a nice take on the Baltic Porter style and features all the usual bells and whistles. What probably distinguishes it a little is just how strong and full the flavor profile is. The combo of chocolate, roasted malts, coffee, and that slight acidic flavor is damn impressive. Eh, the nose could use a little work and maybe a bit more body would help. Small gripes though. This is very good stuff. Find some.

prototypic, Aug 07, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +9.6%

Very dark brown/red color. Smells of popcorn, roasted malt and a sweet note. Tastes of mint, dark fruit, slightly medicinal and bitter. A cool collaboration that detours from a traditional Baltic Porter. Worth trying if you can find it easily, but it won't replace my go-to Baltic Porters.

marmora, Jul 27, 2011
4.03/5  rDev +13.2%

This beer’s correct name is actually “Cornholio” and not “Cornoholio,” but I am assuming that will be corrected eventually. I was lucky enough to enjoy this at the Short’s/DFH meet and great in Traverse City on July 6th 2011. It was an event to remember.

Cornholio is served up in an interesting sort of tall pilsner like glass. It is a deep dark brown with a nice medium tan head. Retention is excellent, lacing is also quite good.

The aroma is sweet and Smokey with some nice roasted and burnt notes. There is a good amount of caramel and chocolate as well as a bit of fruity sweetness.

The flavor is a nice blend of sweet and roasty with a touch of charred burnt popcorn hulls and some strange, almost minty herbal notes. The roasty and smoky nature are what grab my attention most, but I can start to pick up on a dark fruity character as my mouth becomes accustomed to the more in your face flavors. This beer does not taste as crazy as I expected, and I would say that is a good thing. Oh yeah, this beer also has “Short’s” written all over it as their high gravity beer house test is quite prevalent.

The body is actually on the lighter end of medium with an interesting slickness to it. The carbonation was spot on and the finish was roasty with some burnt notes, but was not offending to the palate.

This was a pretty impressive brew that fell into the category of crazy ingredients, but not too crazy of a taste. I appreciated this I think it will be a successful collaboration brew. I am really looking forward to when the bigger batch is done so I can compare notes and see if I notice anything different.

zoso1967, Jul 24, 2011