Captain Fantasy - Short's Brewing Company

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.70% ABV

Beer added by: womencantsail on 08-22-2011

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
3.73/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

poured into a pint glass from bottle

a: light gold, short and quickly dispersing head. slight haze.
s: tropical, floral, light belgian funk.
t: pear flavor there. bitterness from hops seem a bit high for the style. slightly bready.
m: a bit dry. light heat from alcohol.
o: overall interesting beer. aggressively hopped saison with some pear flavor. i don't dislike this beer but i wouldn't buy another. (404 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A - Pours a hazy golden orange with a thin white head.

S - Some yeasty funkiness, light amount of sweetness from the pear.

T - Nicely balanced. Funky yeast up front, followed by a good amount of pear sweetness. Finish is pretty much all hops producing some bitterness.

M - Medium bodied with high carbonation.

O - Good saison. Hoppiness tends to take over he finish, otherwise a very well balanced beer. (408 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -5.6%

Bottle poured into a Duvel tulip

A- Clean, golden body. 1-1/2 finger, fluffy, off-white head. Moderate carbonation. Great stick.

S- Tons of pear up front. Underlying hops hint at citrus or tropical fruits as well. Light doughy element.

T- Fruit overload, though not just from the pear. The hops add a huge grapefruit flavor, getting pithy even by the end. Some cracker-like flavors. Clean, hoppy finish.

M- Full bodied. Though carbonation may be significant, it struggles to keep up with the viscosity of the body. Quite dry (pleasantly).

O- By no means a bad beer. However, the hopping takes away from the overall enjoyment in my opinion. Both the pear and any farmhouse/saison qualities get lost. It reminds me of more of some of the popular American pale wheat ales which have been overly hopped (which I can generally take or leave). Certainly good for what it is, just not in my wheelhouse. Maybe I'm more of a saison traditionalist. (943 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of Short's Captain Fantasy today for $2.09 at The Lager Mill. I've been wanting to try this ever since I heard about Short's collaborating with Half Acre to make a Pear Saison, I didn't get a chance to try the first release of this beer so I made sure to try this years release and this was the beer that I voted on when Short's had people vote for a beer to be bottled this year, lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a tulip.

A- The label looks weird, it's not bad, but it's far from the best looking Short's label. It poured a slightly hazy yellow color that took on a golden color when held to the light with two fingers worth of slightly off white head that died down to a slightly thicker ring that stayed till the end and left some patchy and spotty lacing behind. This is a pretty good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by some Saison aromas showing up first imparting a lighter barnyard funk aromas with some more and Saison like aroma with a very big spicy aroma. Up next comes come orange rind and lemon grass like aromas with some pear aromas sticking out the most and imparting a nice fresh pear aroma. Towards the end come some earthy, slightly grassy and spici hop like aromas. This beer has a pretty good aroma, there's a good balance of Saison and pear aromas.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by some some grainy, bready and slight wheat like malt aromas, up next comes some yeast flavor that it isn't very farmhouse like and it's pretty spicy tasting and it's followed by some c citrus rind flavors and a nice amount of noticeable fresh pear flavor. On the finish there's a pretty big hop flavor with some earthy, grassy and spicy hops really coming through imparting a pretty high amount of medium bitterness that bordered on being highly bitter with a lingering bitterness, grainy and fruity aftertaste. This is a pretty nice tasting beer, I liked the pear flavors, but I thought the bitterness was a little too much for this beer to handle.

M- A little smooth, clean, crisp, linger bitterness, medium bodied with a medium amount carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer, I wouldn't say it's a good example of a straight up Saison, but Short's calls this as highly hopped Saison brewed with pears and as that it's pretty good, it's neither a Full on Saison, fruit beer, or IPA, it's a mixture of all three. This beer had ok drinkability, it was a little smooth, not filling, and the taste did a good decent job at holding my attention, I think a bottle or two would be nice, but anymore than that and I think the bitterness would start to wear on me. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma, it was pretty good and it had some nice Saison aromas along with some really nice fresh and juicy pear aromas. What I liked the least about this beer was the higher amount of bitterness, the hop flavors weren't bad, but I wish the bitterness was toned down a little, it seems to be a little overpowering. I would buy this beer again, I only bought one bottle to see if I liked it, but I'm sure I'll grab a couple more before they are all gone and I would recommend this to anyone that thinks Short's description of this beer sounds good to them. All in all I didn't love this beer, but I didn't hate either, it was nice to have a chance to try this beer. I've tried many different styles from Short's but I've never had a Saison from them and while I wasn't super impressed with it I still enjoyed up. Nice work guys, thanks for keeping the creative beers coming. (3,813 characters)

3.79/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

appearance: light yellowish orange color. almost no head but a small off-white foam that leaves just a touch of lacing on the edges.

Smell: slightly tart flavors mixed with a yeasty spiciness. a mixture of fruits, some sweet some bitter. not super fragrant

Taste: opens up with pear, yeast takes over with a spicy taste. finishes off with a good dose of super lemony hops. and equal bitterness. almost like biting a lemon skin at times. some bready and pale malts fill out in the backside

Mouthfeel: has a bit of warmth for the alcohol content. huge lingering bitterness and very dry.

Overall: a vastly complex and interesting beer. Its pretty good but is a sipper due to the dry warmth and bitterness. (707 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottled 11/21/13 and poured 12/4/13 -- 13 days later. Poured this into a shaker pint.

Appearance: I poured the whole bottle in, including the stuff at the bottom. The beer is a golden, lemon sort of yellow color with a finger or two of an egg white head. The lacing is quite patchy, but nice. I really like the swirly haze the beer offers from the way I poured it -- works well with the whole "Captain Fantasy" name. The label art isn't quite as great as some of Short's others, but I definitely like the colors, and it's certainly eye catching.

Smell: Candied pears (that's a thing, right?), with a lot of lemon. A bit of that saison funk. Maybe some tropical fruit.

Taste: Much like the smell, but with the addition of hops and malt (this IS a beer, right?). The lemon/pear flavor is still on the forefront though. The hops and malts seem to come together for me in the finish. The hops add a nice bittering, almost leafy sort of flavor to the beer, and the malts leave a bready sort of aftertaste.

Feel: I'm relieved this beer has a decent body to it, because if this were any thinner, I'd enjoy it a decent bit less. The body's fairly light (hey, it's a saison), but it has enough that it doesn't drink like lemon pledge cereal water.

I haven't had many saisons, but I really quite enjoy this beer. The smell is very inviting with its fruitiness, and the beer has a solid bitterness and dry finish to keep you wanting another sip. It's not exactly a "knock your socks off" kind of beer, but it's a tasty one. Like a reviewer below said, I'm not sure I'd get a six pack of this (or if I did, it'd sit for up to two weeks probably), but it's something I'd very gladly have again. The freshness is fantastic, and this would be a great brew to enjoy to signal the start of spring and/or summer. (1,799 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from 12oz. bottle into a tulip glass

A- Pours a nice golden straw color that is pretty clear compared to other saisons I've had. I swirled the bottle and added the sediment halfway through which I tend to do with bottle conditioned beers, it's like getting two beers in one! After adding the sediment it become the cloudy roasted lemon color I'm accustomed to in saisons. Nice high white head that dissipates to a thin film.

S- Some mild dank funkiness, and some sweet pear coming through as well as a decent hop aroma. Upon adding the sediment it becomes more balanced with the hops and yeast.

T- The hops are really taking over in the taste, the yeast next, then the pear. Probably could have advertised this as a Belgian IPA, however it is labeled as having "profuse hoppiness".

M- Medium body, good level of carbonation.

O- A nice saison that becomes more full flavored once the sediment is added. I've learned it is a "no-no" really to do that but I prefer the more unfiltered beer flavor that comes with adding sediment. This is hopped with Sorachi Ace so naturally the Brooklyn Sorachi Ace comparisons come to mind. And while that is a better brew, this one definitely comes close in flavor profile. (1,222 characters)

This pours a clear golden yellow. I get an estery-floral aroma of pear blossoms and white grapes, perhaps? The flavor has a floral profile with white grape and a slight funky note on it. Opens pleasantly as it warms. I thought of this as being like a Belg-pale ale hybrid. (272 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured into a pint glass
A: Moderate pour yields 1.25 fingers of white rocky head with good retention. Hazy golden color.
S: Lemon, lime, pear, Brettanomyces
T: Fruity sweet and tart right up front with pear lingering in the aftertaste. Not as much Brett dry funkiness as in the aroma. Thank goodness! Just a tiny bit of funkiness. Unique. Some whole wheat breadiness lingers on with some pear as well. Nelson Sauvin or citra hops maybe? Not readily apparent.
M: Smooth, tart, dry.
O: Unique and enjoyable. Very nice. I'd order another. Perfect for a sunny day. I wouldn't buy 6 probably, but I do want it again. (612 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +9%

12 ounce bottle into tulip glass, bottled 8/2/2011. Pours very hazy golden straw color with a very nice 2 finger dense white head with great retention that reduces to a thin cap that lasts. Some very nice soapy lacing on the glass. Aromas of big pear, apricot, herbal, grape, orange peel, lemon zest, grass, pepper, yeast spices, and light funk. Nice, complex, and balanced aromas with good strength. Taste of pear, apricot, orange peel, lemon zest, pepper, herbal, grass, and yeast spices. Light tartness on the finish, with lingering notes of citrus zest, pear, pepper, and yeast spices on the finish for a bit. Great malt and spice flavor balance, with the malt being stronger. No cloying sweetness at all. Medium carbonation and body; with a slightly slick and crisp mouthfeel. Very easy to drink; with hardly any alcohol warming after the finish. Overall this is a great saison. Nice fruity flavor and balance; and very easy to drink. (939 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +5.1%

Bottle poured into a pint glass. Cloudy pale color with lots of soapy head. Smells of Belgian yeast, pear, and apple. Taste is a very drinkable mix of hops, spice, and pear. Alcohol presence very low. Mouthfeel fairly creamy. Very tasty and easy to drink. (255 characters)

3.91/5  rDev +4%

From 12oz bottle to Bruges hybrid glass on 3/20/12
*From notes

A: Gorgeous cloudy lemon in color. A good pour yields a 1.5 finger fluffy white head. Really sticky and thick lacing rims the glass as the heads refuses to fall.

S: I get some blue cheese funk at first, and as I really inhale, I detect tart, acidic citrus.

T: Mildly funky. The balance here is pretty on-point. Plenty of acid and biting citrus. I do continue to get some blue cheese, but it's not overwhelming. There's a lasting lemon rind and hop quality to it. Pretty nice stuff.

M: Bubbly as it should be, and with a bit more texture then your average farmhouse ale. It really helps to bump up the flavors.

O: I haven't had many Shorts beer, well....many I've liked anyway. This, though, is quite nice, and something that paired beautifully with my dinner. One-of-a-kind and tasty. What more could you ask for? Recommended for sure.

*Paired with grilled chicken gyros (939 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -2.4%

A: Hazy yellow pour with a ton of bubbles racing to the top, which hold a wispy white head. The beer actually becomes quite clear once it has sat for a while. Not much retention here, but the lacing is quite nice.

S: There's a lot going on in this guy's aroma! Typical saison funk and yeast, but with definitely some pear and far more than your average hoppiness. The label is not lying to you here folks.

T: The taste here really surprised me, I thought I was ready. Huge hit of pears start it off, followed by some fruity and bitter hops. A bit metallic at times, the beer does still boast some barnyard funk. Something about the taste is putting me off, and now that I taste it, I smell it as well. Just an odd metal like character that I do not like.

MF: Over-carbonated, but light and crisp in body. The beer stings the palate ever so slightly and has a dry finish. Not all that drinkable with the strange, disjointed taste.

O: This was damn interesting. I liked parts of it, and hated parts of it. I would certainly recommend it to someone who wanted to delve into something they've never had before. (1,110 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +2.4%

Though not usually a fan of saisons, this one tastes different to me.
Must be the pears, there is a pronounced sweetness on the palate. Very nice and totally unexpected.
Got this bottle from FourKicks as an extra, last October.
Poured into a tulip, nice head, lasts a while, with lacing.
Smells more sweet and less spicy than most farmhouse ales.
A pleasant surprise. (367 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to StormKing47 for gifting me with a bottle of this. 12oz bottle poured into a shaped pint glass. The brew appears a pale yellow with slight haze. 2 and a half fingers of fluffy white froth sits atop the brew composed of larger than average bubbles. It maintains an uneven froth completely across the top supported by constantly rising bubbles of carbonation. As the cap slowly fades, it leaves a thick webbing of lacework sticking to the glass.

The nose on this brew has an interesting mixture of fruity aspects. Lemon hits first that blends into a bit of tropical quality. Notes of sulfur are fairly strong coupled with peppery spice, straw-like grain and herbal to veggie-like hops. As the brew warms up, it picks up an interesting aroma that almost smells like cooked cabbage.

The taste is mildly fruity with a lemony tartness. More sips bring out an earthy flavoring with toasty straw grain flavoring. A bit of peppery spice is noted along with some clove and more earthy flavors that blend with something along the lines of cooked vegetables. A touch of bittering hops is noted towards the back and comes out as the brew warms and it mixes with the earthen flavors. Light hints of fruited quality are present but never really gives a true nod in the direction of pears as listed on the label. If anything, the pear quality of this brew is present with a skin flavor and earthy feel, not so much the fleshy ripe aspects.

This is a medium to light bodied brew with a lively amount of carbonation. It finishes quite dry which increases the drinkability quite a bit. By all means this is an interesting brew that is worth a try if you like your saisons with a fruity twist. All in all I think this one worked pretty well but it should probably be drank on the cooler side since that awkward cooked veggy/cabbage aspect is quite distracting when it comes out. Thanks again Josh for sharing this. (1,907 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +7.2%

12 oz. bottle.

Slightly hazy orange straw body. Thick cushion of dense, implacable, bright light beige head. Very nice lacing. Passion fruit, pear juice, grapefruit, vinegar, and pepper on the nose. Intriguing.

Soft wheat and sweetened bread notes up front. Fruit moves in quickly with notes of pear, papaya, passion fruit, grapefruit, and guava (?). Very fruity, but not overly sweet (which is good). This might be due, in part, to the wall of herbal, leafy hop bitterness that comes in near the finish. Lingering hop bitterness and fruit sweetness in the finish. Some tartness throughout, but not very "funky," like some saisons. Medium-full body. Nice. (658 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -9.6%

Big thanks to wintbs379 for this bottle.

A: Pours a murky straw with slight hues of pinks. There is about a half finger of pure white head that seems to last forever. There is some serious lacing as it drinks.

S: This beer smells of lemony citrus, spice, tart cherries, cracked wheat, and a splash of vinegar. It seems like a wacky mixture, but it's quite enticing.

T: The initial hit is prickly carbonation, vinegar, and tart cherry. There are citrus and spice notes that come in a little later, but it almost seems a little too late. The finish has a spicy earthiness that just doesn't come off well.

M: Light bodied beer. This beer is too highly carbed for my liking, and the flavors just don't seem to mesh together well on the palate.

O: I was really excited to try a pear saison, but this beer falls a bit short of the mark (even for experimental purposes). The carbonation is prickly, and the spice is a bit overdone in this brew. I'm grateful to have tried this beer, but I wouldn't seek it out in the future. (1,022 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +14.9%

A - The beer pours a clear golden-orange color with a finger of frothy white head. The head hangs around for quite some time before fading down leaving behind some nice lacing.

S - The aroma is a mix of sweet pear, with some yeast esters, floral elements, citrus hops, and a touch of peach. More complex than expected in a very good way.

T - The flavor starts off with some sweet and lightly tart pear and light peach with some yeast esters and some farmhouse flavors. Through the middle, some floral flavor with some citrus hops comes through. The finish is a mix of tart pear, yeast, citrus hops, with a bit of a spicy note.

M - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Smooth with a sweet, tart, and spicy finish.

D - Very drinkable. Really interesting mix of flavors but the tartness of the pear and the citrus hop flavor really work very well in this saison. (867 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +10.4%

A: Pours a hazy peach color with a frothy foam on top. heavy lacing

S: Musty peach and pear with fruity citrus aromas. Nice Citra grapefruit hop aroma with citrus and lemon notes.

T: Nice and refreshing Saison. Light and fruity with hints of pear, peach, citra or other citrus forward hops. Slight mothball presence. (same mothball flavors I got from my homebrew saison this summer).

M: slightly thicker in mouthfeel than most saisons I have had. Light carbonation

O: Overall a very tasty saison. It is a little hazier and thicker than others I have had recently, but very good overall . The hop flavors are very pronounced for a Saison, but you can clearly pick up the saison characters along with the saison yeast. (722 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +13.8%

Split single bottle from Spartan Sprits

A&S: as advertised its has lots of floral and citrus hops pair nicely with... pear haha. The color is hazy yellow. There is some liveliness to it from vigorous carbonation bubbles. There is also unfiltered elements. Poured two fingers of off white head that hangs around at about a full finger of foamy head. Lacying clings very well.

T&M: on the hopper side of the saison so of course I liked it. Good quantities of citrus hops. Other elements of the beer include: spricness (peppery) and lemon zest. The pear doesn't come through as well in the taste as the smell. Has a bitterness present in the finish but its not overpowering. Medium bodied and on the higher end of the carbonation spectrum.

O: The best saison I've had to date, I thought this beer was excellent. I thought this beer was great and for the style it was amazing! (876 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +9.6%

Bottle courtesy of chadcsu (thanks Chad) poured a clear gold with a lasting creamy white head. Aromas of straw, yeast, pear, earthiness, lemon and light pine. Mouthfeel was light bodied and crisp with a dry finish. Flavors of straw, pear, earthiness, light lemon and a hint of pine with a crisp dry lingering bitter finish. (323 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle.

It pours a clear gold with a foamy bright white head that sticks for a bit before leaving some decent lacing.

The smell is good. It is initially spicy, then fruity. It is very flowery as the yeast dominates, the pear is in the back ground and is a pleasant compliment to the yeast and hops.

The flavor is good. Very yeast-driven. The pear comes in underneath and provides a nice accent. A nice saison. (418 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +5.1%

A- Pours a very hazy light orange liquid with a very creamy white head that settles to a thin covering.

S- Pears, apples, white bread, a bit of pepper, and a touch of farmhouse funk.

T- Pears, lemon rind, pepper, maybe a bit of alcohol, some white bread, and a bit of farmhouse funk.

M- A very creamy mouthfeel with abundant carbonation to keep things light. Just a tad astringent on the finish.

O- Interesting and kind of fun. Tasty but a bit rough around the edges. (471 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -9%

A - Pours a clear honey color, with some fine suspended material leading to a slight haze. Two fingers of boe white head has good retention.

S - Sweet pear, a bit of yeast funk and some grassy hops. Pretty interesting aroma that mostly works.

T - Pear is prominent up front. I got both a pear cider taste, and also a sweet pear that tasted a bit like the syrup from canned pears. There is also a hop bite right away, with Belgian yeast coming in the middle and lasting through the finish. The pear, yeast and hops flavors never really come together for me, but seem independent from each other, which takes away from the enjoyment.

M - Medium mouthfeel that is both a bit syrupy and dry and bitter on the finish.

O - I was looking forward to trying this, but I came away disappointed. It certainly isn't a bad beer, but not something I would revisit. (854 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -3.5%

12 oz. bottle poured into a tulip. This is bottle number three of the crazy Short's beers from MarcatGSB. This one, admittedly, doesn't sound anywhere near as crazy as the others.

Appearance - Clear golden body with a fluffy white head. Nice retention and great sticky lacing. Not enough bizarre food additions to kill the head on this one, apparently!

Smell - Fruity aroma with a slight Belgian funk. It's definitely an aroma with some depth, though. Behind the fruitiness is a distinct hop aroma. It's dank and grassy in the back. Interesting, for sure.

Taste - Ok, interesting yes. Good, perhaps not. I get the pear at the beginning. It's even a touch cidery. The sweetness fades to a complete palate-bashing of hops and black pepper. It runs the complete gamut from sweet and fruity to bitter and peppery at the end. Definitely complex, although in the realm of saisons, I'm not looking to be beaten over the head by complexity.

Mouthfeel - I don't know what the ABV is (come on, Short's!) but it feels like a heavy saison. I'm always looking for lightness from saisons, but often the fruit additions make them a bit syrupy. The bitterness in the finish is also a big detractor.

Overall - I can't call this good, but it's certainly interesting. At first I didn't think I could finish it, but it really is growing on me. I won't have any problem if I take it slowly. Not the refreshing saison I was looking for on a hot afternoon, but decent nonetheless. (1,462 characters)

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast