Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster - Short's Brewing Company

Pan Galactic Gargle BlasterPan Galactic Gargle Blaster

pDev: 10%
Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Belgian IPA |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: jale on 12-13-2011)
Reviews by BrianOhio:
4.4/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I was lucky enough to find this at 7 Monks in Traverse City the day after a Short's tap takeover. I normally review and take notes during sampling, but frankly doing this one from memory.

I recall the tulip glass arriving at the table, and I said to my wife "this is exactly what a beer should look like." Slightly cloudy and amber.

Aroma and taste were just perfect in my book. Bright citrus, nice bite at the end but not nearly as sharp as their Liberator.

I am a huge fan of Short's...this is the best of the bunch in my book. Pleeaaase bottle it.

BrianOhio, Jan 05, 2013

Reappropriated, Nov 30, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -14.6%

Tyrus, Oct 28, 2013
3.61/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Golden orange body. Fleeting but nice white head. Thin collar.

Smell - Citrusy hops. Belgian yeast and sweetness. A little phenolic.

Taste - Much maltier. Grapefruit hop. Sweet pale malts. Super bitter in the back.

Mouthfeel - Medium heavy. Very bitter.

Overall - Very bitter, but good.

Alieniloquium, Nov 19, 2013

3.75/5  rDev -8.5%

HardyA, Oct 20, 2013

lowpulp, Nov 29, 2013
4.46/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I picked up a bottle of Short's Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster yesterday for $1.99 at The Lager Mill. I had this beer when I first visited Short's back in October of last year, I was really impressed with this beer and I was really happy to see it on the release schedule this year, it was my most anticipated new beer that Shorts is releasing this year and I thought this would be a fitting beer to have for my 700th review, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I know it's really fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks really nice, I think it's very eye catching, the Space Invader inspired label really caught my eye and I think it's pretty well done. It poured a poured a nice darker orange color that took on some nice orange/amber color when held to the light with two fingers worth of slightly off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left lots of nice rings of lacing behind. This is a very good looking beer, all the aspects were pretty good and I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness followed by a good amount of hops that impart some nice citrus hop aromas withe grapefruit, orange juice and some pineapple aromas coming through nicely. Up next comes a slight bit of malts that impart a doughy aroma with just the right amount of Belgian yeast that imparts some nice spicy aromas with a nice bubblegum aroma sticking out the most and working really well with the hop profile. I really liked the aroma of this beer it was full of bright citrus hops and the Belgian yeast worked out very nicely.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by a good amount of hops upfront that impart a great citrus hop flavor with all the citrus hop aspects that I got in the aroma coming through nicely, Up next comes the malts which show up just enough and impart a nice clean bready malt flavor. Towards the end comes the Belgian yeast which impart some spicy yeast flavors with a nice bubblegum flavor seeming to stick out the most and it worked nicely with the hop profile. The hops impart a medium amount of bitterness with a nice citrus hop and Belgian yeast aftertaste. This is a very good tasting beer the hops work very well with the Belgian yeast and the malts show up just enough.

M- Pretty smooth, a little crisp, slightly sticky, medium bodied with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was very nice and it worked pretty well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a very good beer and very good example of the style, it had everything that I look for in the style and it all came together very well with some great balance. This beer had pretty good drinkability, it was pretty smooth, clean, not filling, and the taste did a great job at holding my attention and It kept me coming back for more, I could see myself being pretty happy drinking a few of these and I think this would be a great summertime beer. What I liked the most about this beer was the taste and aroma, they were both very good and I couldn't stop smelling and tasting it. What I liked the least about this beer was nothing, there's not a single thing that I didn't like or would change, it's great just the way it is. I would for sure buy this beer again, I bought my limit of three and if there's any left next time I go to the beer store I'm sure I will get my limit again and I will for sure be getting it when they release it again next year. I would recommend this to anyone who likes the style or anybody who likes hoppy beers in general. All in all I was very happy with this beer, it was just as good as I remember and so far I think it's my favorite of the style, I like it a little more than Brewery Vivant's Trebuchet, I like the hop profile in this beer just a little more. This made for a great 700th review, it was a nice treat to celebrate this milestone with such a great beer. When I was at Shorts I told the bartender that I really think they should bottle it and apparently I wasn't the only one since my wish came true. Thanks a lot for continuing to give the good people from Michigan exactly what they want, there's no doubt Short's is my favorite brewery, keep up the good work guys.

StoutHunter, Oct 18, 2013