Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster - Short's Brewing Company

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Belgian IPA |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: jale on 12-13-2011

3.88/5  rDev -1.5%

thanks again to Dan... low carbonation.... sweet, Belgian-type hop bitterness. relatively easy to drink; easy for the abv. nothing really special but the typical expected flavor and quite ordinary for the style..... (216 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +7.9%

I liked it a lot but be aware that this a bitter, hoppy Belgian IPA. Great, complex taste though. Imagine a slightly boozy BIPA w/ good fruity/peppery character. I think the ABV is closer to 8.5 than 7.5. (204 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 ounce bottle dated 10/15/14

First off, killer name and label art. Appearance is a deep amber/copper hue with an off-white, one finger head. The head quickly dissipates, leaving decent lacing.

Aroma has a lot going on. On the forefront I notice lemon, grapefruit, coriander, pepper, and Belgian yeast esters. The background contains a vague caramel malt sweetness. Very complex, yet pleasant.

Taste is a little less dynamic, with an assault of malt sweetness on the front end. The Belgian yeast esters jump in for a brief second in the middle, but the finish is all peppery spiciness and sweet malt. This mellows out as the beer warms.

Mouthfeel is medium-full with medium carbonation. Aided by the spiciness, the bitterness is on the high end, coming close to tongue scraping.

Overall, this beer was quite complex. The aroma had so many things going for it, yet the taste was only able to capture a few of those characteristics (and probably my least favorite ones). Work some of the lemon, grapefruit, and coriander into the taste and this beer would really blast off. (1,077 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle poured into an flute/snifter hybrid stemmed glass. Bottle dated 10/15/14.

Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster (PGGB) pours a medium to coppery amber with a leggy, off-white head. Medium retention. Some clarity, mostly opaque, visible sediment.

The most prevalent aroma is the estery yeast, high high banana and bubble gum, med-low spicy phenols like black pepper and clove that blend nicely with the hop aroma. Medium hops, mostly floral, low tropical fruits, sweet and sugary. Pear and and apple round out the aroma.

Bubble gum esters dominate the flavor, followed by some medium, sweet fruitiness, and rounded out by low hop bitterness/phenols. The lasting impression is spicy. Malt isn't prevalent here, undetectable except for a slight biscuity pale malt -- the major player is the yeast and, to a less extent, the hops. Slightly sweet finish, despite the phenolic conclusion.

Med-full body, med-low carbonation, though the latter could be due to the exaggerated pour. Alcohol isn't apparent, despite the relatively high content (8%-ish in the new batch), though there's some warming.

A yeasty, estery beer with not much hop character. The spicy phenols and restrained use of hop aromas/flavors don't balance the yeast out like I'd like them to. Short's doesn't do Belgian pales very well, in my opinion, despite having a really firm grasp on many traditional European and American beers. (1,416 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottled 10/15/14
Poured into a tulip glass.

A- Medium copper, high clarity, two finger white head.

S- Passion fruit and bubblegum, bit of Belgian yeast spice character.

T- Similar to aroma but with add medium-high bitterness. Passion fruit, papaya, bubblegum, bit of clove, pine, nice level of sweetness, some Belgian IPAs are too sweet but not this one.This year's batch seems more Belgian yeast forward than last year's.

M- Medium, good level of carb.

O- Best Belgian IPA that I've had. Most are either not hoppy enough or too yeast or too sweet. This one has a great balance of all three. One of Short's best offerings. (631 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

12 ounce bottle into tulip glass, bottled in 10/2013. Pours moderately hazy bright orange amber color with a 1-2 finger dense cream colored head with great retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Spotty soapy lacing clings around the glass. Aromas of big pineapple, peach, guava, pear, tangerine, lemon zest, citrus rind, clove, pepper, floral, grass, bread, light banana, light bubblegum, and yeast earthiness. Damn nice aromas with good balance and complexity of hop, malt, and yeast ester notes; with good strength. Taste of peach, tangerine, pineapple, pear, guava, lemon zest, citrus rind, clove, pepper, floral, grass, pine, light banana, light bubblegum, bread, and yeast earthiness. Fair amount of earthy pine/floral bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of citrus, citrus rind, pineapple, peach, guava, clove, pepper, light banana, light bubblegum, and yeast earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Very nice balance and complexity of hop, yeast, and malt flavors; with a nice malt/bitterness/spiciness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and medium-full bodied; with a lightly slick, crisp, and moderately sticky mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with only a slight warming present after the finish. Overall this is an excellent Belgian IPA. All around great balance and complexity of hop, malt, and yeast ester flavors; and very smooth to sip on for the ABV. A very enjoyable offering. (1,471 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Golden orange body. Fleeting but nice white head. Thin collar.

Smell - Citrusy hops. Belgian yeast and sweetness. A little phenolic.

Taste - Much maltier. Grapefruit hop. Sweet pale malts. Super bitter in the back.

Mouthfeel - Medium heavy. Very bitter.

Overall - Very bitter, but good. (342 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bottle as part of a free beer contest. Thanks man! Pours hazy orange with a very small ring of white creamy head. Aroma of oranges, grapefruits, mango, pineapple, and a hint of Belgian yeast in the background. Smells very sweet. Vegetal raw hops are the first thing you taste, yummy. Flavor is sweet orange rinds, some light grapefruit and mango, and interesting dry Belgian yeast finish, and then lingering orange rinds and grapefruit left on the palate for a good while. Bitterness is very present on the way down, nearly puckering. Big, heavy, and slick with medium carbonation. This is pretty unique and very nice. (618 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

12oz bottle opened up by Doug. Poured into a Bell's snifter today, 10/31/2013.

Pours a hazy orange-copper body, not much of a white head, dissipates fairly quickly. Not much lacing to speak of.

Smells like a giant onion and garlic bomb. I really didn't get all the references to onions in IPAs, but this is the first beer that reminds me so much of raw onions. Not much malt sweetness in the background.

Also tastes like a massive onion bomb. No complexity here, not much else. Very disappointing.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, decent carbonation. Aftertaste is mostly raw onions.

I absolutely did not care for it. Doug and I agreed that this beer was a drainpour, and acted accordingly. (692 characters)

3.99/5  rDev +1.3%

Bottling date's scratched off, but this was bottled recently. Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint.

Appearance: A golden color with two fingers of an off-white head. Very slight haze to it. Some great lacing. I don't often review a beer's label (sometimes I get beer on draft), but this is just another fantastic bit of art by Short's. It's pretty simple, but definitely eye catching. Pretty awesome, no doubt.

Smell: I've never had a Galaxy only beer, and I'm not even sure I've experience Galaxy hops before, but I get quite a bit of clove (or coriander?) with a bit of Belgian funk and citrus rind.

Taste/feel: Well, not being the biggest fan of clove/coriander, I don't love this beer as much as I wanted to, and it's just not what I had expected really at all given the style. It's slightly Belgian, I suppose, but I guess I'm just used to those walloping Belgian IPAs brought on by Brewery Vivant. A floral spice (like clove) is the first thing I notice, then it turns into a sweet sort of citrus, and by the end there's a nice malt balance. This is still a very good beer, and I don't find that floral sort of flavor over-powering, so this is something I really enjoy. Not NEARLY as bitter as I was lead on to believe it would be. Gargle Blaster slowly grew on me as I worked my way down the glass. (1,308 characters)

3.81/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A - Pours a hazy orange. Small foamy white head. Good amount of lacing.

S - Tropical fruits - grapefruit, pineapple, and orange - with a nice amount of hops. Bready yeast and a sweet malty smell appears in the background.

T - Bitter hops are very upfront. Bready malts and Belgian yeast come through next. I got a nice sweetness from the malts before another blast of bitter hops.

M - Smooth mouthfeel. Medium carbonation. Dry finish.

O - Decent offering from Short's. Wouldn't turn down, but wouldn't seek out. (515 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Chill hazy, golden orange color. Decent looking head forms briefly. Some fair lacing is going on.

S: Guava, pine, peach, other tropical and fleshy fruits, pineapple. Smells phenomenal.

T: Taste delivers as well. Tropical fruit, bitter pine, pineapple. Perhaps a trace of Belgian yeasty characteristics, but the tasty hops are dominating.

M: Nice IPA feel. Touch of oily slickness.

O: Outstanding. Definitely worth a six-pack purchase if you're seeking it out. (467 characters)

3.49/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: deep orange. opaque. very small off white head that fades pretty quickly

Smell: grapefruit, more hops and belgian yeast

Taste: opens up with grapefruity hops and transitions to a slightly sweet candisugar before transitioning back to hops.

Mouthfeel: very bitter and quite dry

Overall: a well crafted and strong hoppy beer. just doesn't do it for me. (367 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I picked up a bottle of Short's Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster yesterday for $1.99 at The Lager Mill. I had this beer when I first visited Short's back in October of last year, I was really impressed with this beer and I was really happy to see it on the release schedule this year, it was my most anticipated new beer that Shorts is releasing this year and I thought this would be a fitting beer to have for my 700th review, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I know it's really fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks really nice, I think it's very eye catching, the Space Invader inspired label really caught my eye and I think it's pretty well done. It poured a poured a nice darker orange color that took on some nice orange/amber color when held to the light with two fingers worth of slightly off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left lots of nice rings of lacing behind. This is a very good looking beer, all the aspects were pretty good and I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness followed by a good amount of hops that impart some nice citrus hop aromas withe grapefruit, orange juice and some pineapple aromas coming through nicely. Up next comes a slight bit of malts that impart a doughy aroma with just the right amount of Belgian yeast that imparts some nice spicy aromas with a nice bubblegum aroma sticking out the most and working really well with the hop profile. I really liked the aroma of this beer it was full of bright citrus hops and the Belgian yeast worked out very nicely.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by a good amount of hops upfront that impart a great citrus hop flavor with all the citrus hop aspects that I got in the aroma coming through nicely, Up next comes the malts which show up just enough and impart a nice clean bready malt flavor. Towards the end comes the Belgian yeast which impart some spicy yeast flavors with a nice bubblegum flavor seeming to stick out the most and it worked nicely with the hop profile. The hops impart a medium amount of bitterness with a nice citrus hop and Belgian yeast aftertaste. This is a very good tasting beer the hops work very well with the Belgian yeast and the malts show up just enough.

M- Pretty smooth, a little crisp, slightly sticky, medium bodied with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was very nice and it worked pretty well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a very good beer and very good example of the style, it had everything that I look for in the style and it all came together very well with some great balance. This beer had pretty good drinkability, it was pretty smooth, clean, not filling, and the taste did a great job at holding my attention and It kept me coming back for more, I could see myself being pretty happy drinking a few of these and I think this would be a great summertime beer. What I liked the most about this beer was the taste and aroma, they were both very good and I couldn't stop smelling and tasting it. What I liked the least about this beer was nothing, there's not a single thing that I didn't like or would change, it's great just the way it is. I would for sure buy this beer again, I bought my limit of three and if there's any left next time I go to the beer store I'm sure I will get my limit again and I will for sure be getting it when they release it again next year. I would recommend this to anyone who likes the style or anybody who likes hoppy beers in general. All in all I was very happy with this beer, it was just as good as I remember and so far I think it's my favorite of the style, I like it a little more than Brewery Vivant's Trebuchet, I like the hop profile in this beer just a little more. This made for a great 700th review, it was a nice treat to celebrate this milestone with such a great beer. When I was at Shorts I told the bartender that I really think they should bottle it and apparently I wasn't the only one since my wish came true. Thanks a lot for continuing to give the good people from Michigan exactly what they want, there's no doubt Short's is my favorite brewery, keep up the good work guys. (4,303 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 ounce bottle into pint glass

Pours a clear golden color with a off-white head that fades slowly with great lacing. Smell has a hint of Belgium yeast with grapefruit and other citrus notes. Taste is very similar to the nose with a nice hop bitterness. Medium to lighter mouthfeel with good carbonation. Overall a great IPA without to much of the Belgian flavors that would mask the hops flavors. (398 characters)

3.76/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A - Pours shades of orange and ruby with good clarity and two fingers of white head. Spotty lacing surrounds the glass.

S - grapefruit citrusy hops, malts, bread dough and yeasty. Faint brown sugar / malty smell in the background.

T - very hop forward, and blends with some belgian style hops and malt backbone.

O - This is a solid Ameri-Belgo DIPA. I usually don't prefer the belgian style IPA's but this is nice because the robust american style hops take center while the Belgian flavors are secondary. (510 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I was lucky enough to find this at 7 Monks in Traverse City the day after a Short's tap takeover. I normally review and take notes during sampling, but frankly doing this one from memory.

I recall the tulip glass arriving at the table, and I said to my wife "this is exactly what a beer should look like." Slightly cloudy and amber.

Aroma and taste were just perfect in my book. Bright citrus, nice bite at the end but not nearly as sharp as their Liberator.

I am a huge fan of Short's...this is the best of the bunch in my book. Pleeaaase bottle it. (553 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +22.3%

I was too lazy to add this myself, but since it has now been added I will partake.

This was one of the best beer I have had in 2011. I had the privilege to have this twice in the same weekend once at the Brewpub and once at Seven Monks in Traverse City.

This was brewed exclusively brewed with Galaxy hop. They supplied a amazing citrus tropical flavor and nose. I didn't get a ton of "Belgian" flavors but I beg they bottle this one. (437 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -21.8%

Brewed exclusively with galaxy hops.

A: Pours a cloudy apricot with two quarters of white head.

S: Big citrus hoppiness in the nose.

T: Huge citrusy hop bitterness from start to finish with this.

M: Light body with good carbonation.

O: Not my favorite. To much hop bitterness for me. (298 characters)

Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster from Short's Brewing Company