Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster - Short's Brewing Company

Pan Galactic Gargle BlasterPan Galactic Gargle Blaster

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Belgian IPA |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: jale on 12-13-2011)
4.09/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bottle as part of a free beer contest. Thanks man! Pours hazy orange with a very small ring of white creamy head. Aroma of oranges, grapefruits, mango, pineapple, and a hint of Belgian yeast in the background. Smells very sweet. Vegetal raw hops are the first thing you taste, yummy. Flavor is sweet orange rinds, some light grapefruit and mango, and interesting dry Belgian yeast finish, and then lingering orange rinds and grapefruit left on the palate for a good while. Bitterness is very present on the way down, nearly puckering. Big, heavy, and slick with medium carbonation. This is pretty unique and very nice.

3.25/5  rDev -21.1%

3.75/5  rDev -9%

2.76/5  rDev -33%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

12oz bottle opened up by Doug. Poured into a Bell's snifter today, 10/31/2013.

Pours a hazy orange-copper body, not much of a white head, dissipates fairly quickly. Not much lacing to speak of.

Smells like a giant onion and garlic bomb. I really didn't get all the references to onions in IPAs, but this is the first beer that reminds me so much of raw onions. Not much malt sweetness in the background.

Also tastes like a massive onion bomb. No complexity here, not much else. Very disappointing.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, decent carbonation. Aftertaste is mostly raw onions.

I absolutely did not care for it. Doug and I agreed that this beer was a drainpour, and acted accordingly.

3.99/5  rDev -3.2%

Bottling date's scratched off, but this was bottled recently. Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint.

Appearance: A golden color with two fingers of an off-white head. Very slight haze to it. Some great lacing. I don't often review a beer's label (sometimes I get beer on draft), but this is just another fantastic bit of art by Short's. It's pretty simple, but definitely eye catching. Pretty awesome, no doubt.

Smell: I've never had a Galaxy only beer, and I'm not even sure I've experience Galaxy hops before, but I get quite a bit of clove (or coriander?) with a bit of Belgian funk and citrus rind.

Taste/feel: Well, not being the biggest fan of clove/coriander, I don't love this beer as much as I wanted to, and it's just not what I had expected really at all given the style. It's slightly Belgian, I suppose, but I guess I'm just used to those walloping Belgian IPAs brought on by Brewery Vivant. A floral spice (like clove) is the first thing I notice, then it turns into a sweet sort of citrus, and by the end there's a nice malt balance. This is still a very good beer, and I don't find that floral sort of flavor over-powering, so this is something I really enjoy. Not NEARLY as bitter as I was lead on to believe it would be. Gargle Blaster slowly grew on me as I worked my way down the glass.

3.8/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A - Pours a hazy orange. Small foamy white head. Good amount of lacing.

S - Tropical fruits - grapefruit, pineapple, and orange - with a nice amount of hops. Bready yeast and a sweet malty smell appears in the background.

T - Bitter hops are very upfront. Bready malts and Belgian yeast come through next. I got a nice sweetness from the malts before another blast of bitter hops.

M - Smooth mouthfeel. Medium carbonation. Dry finish.

O - Decent offering from Short's. Wouldn't turn down, but wouldn't seek out.

4.3/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Chill hazy, golden orange color. Decent looking head forms briefly. Some fair lacing is going on.

S: Guava, pine, peach, other tropical and fleshy fruits, pineapple. Smells phenomenal.

T: Taste delivers as well. Tropical fruit, bitter pine, pineapple. Perhaps a trace of Belgian yeasty characteristics, but the tasty hops are dominating.

M: Nice IPA feel. Touch of oily slickness.

O: Outstanding. Definitely worth a six-pack purchase if you're seeking it out.

3.75/5  rDev -9%