Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster - Short's Brewing Company

Pan Galactic Gargle BlasterPan Galactic Gargle Blaster

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Belgian IPA |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: jale on 12-13-2011)
2.76/5  rDev -32.8%

12oz bottle opened up by Doug. Poured into a Bell's snifter today, 10/31/2013.

Pours a hazy orange-copper body, not much of a white head, dissipates fairly quickly. Not much lacing to speak of.

Smells like a giant onion and garlic bomb. I really didn't get all the references to onions in IPAs, but this is the first beer that reminds me so much of raw onions. Not much malt sweetness in the background.

Also tastes like a massive onion bomb. No complexity here, not much else. Very disappointing.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, decent carbonation. Aftertaste is mostly raw onions.

I absolutely did not care for it. Doug and I agreed that this beer was a drainpour, and acted accordingly.

Stevedore, Nov 01, 2013
3.99/5  rDev -2.9%

Bottling date's scratched off, but this was bottled recently. Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint.

Appearance: A golden color with two fingers of an off-white head. Very slight haze to it. Some great lacing. I don't often review a beer's label (sometimes I get beer on draft), but this is just another fantastic bit of art by Short's. It's pretty simple, but definitely eye catching. Pretty awesome, no doubt.

Smell: I've never had a Galaxy only beer, and I'm not even sure I've experience Galaxy hops before, but I get quite a bit of clove (or coriander?) with a bit of Belgian funk and citrus rind.

Taste/feel: Well, not being the biggest fan of clove/coriander, I don't love this beer as much as I wanted to, and it's just not what I had expected really at all given the style. It's slightly Belgian, I suppose, but I guess I'm just used to those walloping Belgian IPAs brought on by Brewery Vivant. A floral spice (like clove) is the first thing I notice, then it turns into a sweet sort of citrus, and by the end there's a nice malt balance. This is still a very good beer, and I don't find that floral sort of flavor over-powering, so this is something I really enjoy. Not NEARLY as bitter as I was lead on to believe it would be. Gargle Blaster slowly grew on me as I worked my way down the glass.

Alextricity, Oct 31, 2013
3.8/5  rDev -7.5%

A - Pours a hazy orange. Small foamy white head. Good amount of lacing.

S - Tropical fruits - grapefruit, pineapple, and orange - with a nice amount of hops. Bready yeast and a sweet malty smell appears in the background.

T - Bitter hops are very upfront. Bready malts and Belgian yeast come through next. I got a nice sweetness from the malts before another blast of bitter hops.

M - Smooth mouthfeel. Medium carbonation. Dry finish.

O - Decent offering from Short's. Wouldn't turn down, but wouldn't seek out.

TreyIsWilson, Oct 31, 2013

alelover, Oct 28, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

wtkphoto, Oct 27, 2013
4.3/5  rDev +4.6%

A: Chill hazy, golden orange color. Decent looking head forms briefly. Some fair lacing is going on.

S: Guava, pine, peach, other tropical and fleshy fruits, pineapple. Smells phenomenal.

T: Taste delivers as well. Tropical fruit, bitter pine, pineapple. Perhaps a trace of Belgian yeasty characteristics, but the tasty hops are dominating.

M: Nice IPA feel. Touch of oily slickness.

O: Outstanding. Definitely worth a six-pack purchase if you're seeking it out.

CMUbrew, Oct 27, 2013

midlifec, Oct 23, 2013

Prager62, Oct 23, 2013

Gtg642, Oct 23, 2013
3.49/5  rDev -15.1%

Appearance: deep orange. opaque. very small off white head that fades pretty quickly

Smell: grapefruit, more hops and belgian yeast

Taste: opens up with grapefruity hops and transitions to a slightly sweet candisugar before transitioning back to hops.

Mouthfeel: very bitter and quite dry

Overall: a well crafted and strong hoppy beer. just doesn't do it for me.

SportsandJorts, Oct 23, 2013