Juicy Tree - Short's Brewing Company

Juicy TreeJuicy Tree

good

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: madeofsteel on 02-15-2012)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Juicy Tree Alström Bros
3.88/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Fresh bottle from Champane’s. Despite possible imperfections, this beer is a masterpiece of art. I wanted the hops, the spruce. I did not want cranberries, juniper. The entire experience is a bitter, a blend of hop bitter and traditional. Must be seek out. From orange hoppy initiation through dry herbal finish.

4.2/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.04/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

3.36/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.68/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.76/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.15/5  rDev +13.7%

Appearance - The beer was a pale yellow color with a soft white head of about 1/2 inch.

Smell - Cranberry comes through initially in the aroma with the spruce following.

Taste - My first impression is that this is not nearly as bitter as Spruce Pilsner. The cranberry takes some of the edge off. Spruce makes the initial impression followed by the cranberry toward the back. The spruce comes through as more sour toward the back.

Mouthfeel - The carbonation falls in the range that is appropriate for the style. The spruce is allowed to make an impression.

Overall - I chased this one for a while. Now I might just drive back to Michigan to get some more.

4.5/5  rDev +23.3%

3.75/5  rDev +2.7%

4.75/5  rDev +30.1%

4.4/5  rDev +20.5%

2.75/5  rDev -24.7%

4.25/5  rDev +16.4%

4.48/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottled 11/15 and poured 12/4. $2.69 single.

Appearance: Semi-aggressive pour barely got the whole thing into my pint. Two finger soapy/creamy head that goes down to half a finger and stays. Pretty nice lacing. Gorgeous perfectly filtered golden color. Nice stuff.

Smell: Loads of pine and almost a tree bark quality as well. Earthy and herbal hops. Juniper berries are definitely there too, but I'm not really picking up the cranberry that's supposedly added to this beer. If I do, it's hiding behind the piney aromas, and it's only slightly accenting everything. Interesting nose on this one, and I like it a lot.

Taste/feel: Man this beer's got a lot going on and I'm liking it a lot. Hits the tongue with sweetness... but with bitterness. Here comes the resinous, dank pine... then sweet caramel malts. The finish is slightly sticky, a little juicy, and full of juniper berries/pine. I'm bummed that I don't specifically taste the cranberries, but I figure they're adding some sweet/tart balance against the bitter pine. I didn't know what the ABV was for this, but I guessed 8%, and it's at 7.5%. I just get a slight warmth that suits this beer well, considering it's Christmas-y. The feel is about middle-of-the-road in terms of both body and carbonation, and it works very well for Juicy Tree.

No qualms about it, this is another great one from Short's. If you like their Spruce Tip Pilsner, you definitely have to try Juicy Tree. It's not quite as "Holy shit, pine sap" as that particular beer, but more balanced. Frankly, I'm shocked this beer scores only an 82. It's a bold, unique, delicious beer. I'm sorry I missed it last year, but I'm glad I got at least a bottle this year. Fantastic.

I don't normally sail this far over the rDev (I think this is a new record), but this beer is that good -- TO ME. This appears to be a really, really "love it or hate it" sort of beer. For my tongue, this beer is working wonders right now.

1.08/5  rDev -70.4%

Intrigued by the cranberries and juniper, but tastebuds diverted with the spruce tops. Tastes like earth. Tastes like a graveyard. It's entirely unique, but so are Bertie Bott's Beans.

3.75/5  rDev +2.7%