Juicy Tree - Short's Brewing Company

Juicy TreeJuicy Tree

good

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: madeofsteel on 02-15-2012)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Juicy Tree Alström Bros
3.88/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Fresh bottle from Champane’s. Despite possible imperfections, this beer is a masterpiece of art. I wanted the hops, the spruce. I did not want cranberries, juniper. The entire experience is a bitter, a blend of hop bitter and traditional. Must be seek out. From orange hoppy initiation through dry herbal finish.

4.25/5  rDev +16.4%

3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

12 ounce bottle into tulip glass, bottled on 12/16/2013. Pours slightly hazy golden amber color with a 1 finger dense white head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Spotty soapy lacing clings around the glass. Aromas of big tangerine, pineapple, lemon zest, tart cranberry, juniper, floral, spruce, light honey, bread, herbal, and floral earthiness. Damn nice aromas with good balance and complexity of hop, fruit, spruce, and malt motes; with great strength. Taste of tangerine, pineapple, lemon zest, cranberry, spruce, juniper, pine, floral, grass, light honey, bread, and floral earthiness. Good amount of pine bitterness and light cranberry tartness on the finish; with lingering notes of pineapple, lemon zest, cranberry, spruce, juniper, pine, floral, grass, light honey, bread, and floral earthiness on the finish for a while. Damn nice balance and complexity of hop, fruit, spruce, and malt flavors; with a great hop/spice balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a lightly slick, crisp, and sticky mouthfeel that is good. Alcohol is very well hidden with only a slight warming present after the finish. Overall this is a damn nice spiced IPA style. All around good balance and complexity of hop, fruit, spruce, and malt flavors; and very smooth and crisp to sip on. A very enjoyable offering.

2.75/5  rDev -24.7%

4.1/5  rDev +12.3%

Thanks again to tectactoe as I continue to plow through the 39 lbs. of Short's & sundries that he dropped on my front stoop. 12 oz. bottle split with my wife as the evening's warmup.

Pour is deceptively like an other IPA, orange, slightly opaque, carbonation that's on the lower end of the spectrum. Smells like a frozen mixed berry drink you'd find in your favorite grocer's aisle, with just a touch of tart (going to credit that to the cranberries IDed on the label) & distant pine copse. Maybe only a couple trees.

Juicy Tree flips the notion of IPA on its head & shoves a six foot broadsword right through the loop in the "P". Cranberries agitate from the get-go & for the first sip, it's all my brain stem can process. After the foaming settle, there's a nice IPA under the bright berries: moderately bitter hop bite, strong pine, then a smoothness that's quite sweet & light on the finish. Drinkable to the extreme, there's something to the cranberries that set off both the bitterness & the sweetness & make my elbow bend over & over.

Unique, tasty, drinkable, what in The Land else would you want? Excellent beer.

3.76/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

2.5/5  rDev -31.5%

4.75/5  rDev +30.1%

I picked up a bottle of Short's Juicy Tree last week for $2.09 at The Lager Mill. I've been looking forward to this beer since I heard it was going to be the last beer Short's releases for 2013, an IPA brewed with spruce tips, juniper berrys, and cranberrys sounds pretty interesting, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but it was just released at the end of the year so it's fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks really nice, I like how all the ingredients are represented on the label and it's got a nice holiday look to it. It poured a nice hazy golden color that took on more of a golden orange color when held to the light with two fingers worth of white head head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice patchy rings of lacing behind. This is a pretty good looking, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by spruce tips being the first to show up and they impart a fresh woody and piney aroma that's a little similar to Imperial Spruce Pilsener. Up next comes the juniper berrys that impart a sweet gin like aroma that blends nicely into some berry juice aromas with a slight bit of cranberry coming through, Towards the end comes the malts which impart a grainy and cracker malt like aroma. This beer had a pretty good aroma and I liked how all the ingredients showed up individually.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the spruce tips and juniper berrys being the first to show up in they impart a woody, spruce, and piney flavors that remind me of Imperial Spruce Pilsener. Up next comes the malts which impart a grainy and cracker malt like flavor. On the finish comes this fruity, juicy and berry like flavor which has some cranberry flavor and slight tartness to it and there's a slightly higher amount of medium bitterness with a piney, spruce, and slightly fruity aftertaste. This was a pretty good tasting beer and it was just as advertised which I like.

M- Fairly smooth, clean, crisp, slightly dry, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. This beer had a pretty good mouthfeel that worked well with this beer

Overall I thought this wax a good beer and as IPA it's not too bad and it has the right level of bitterness, but as a IPA with unusual ingredients added it's pretty good and it's better then most IPA's with weird ingredients that I have had. This beer had ok drinkability, it was fairly smooth, clean, crisp, not too filling and the taste did a good job at holding my attention, bit I think it might start to wear on me after more than one so I think one would be my limit, but I think it makes for a nice and different winter seasonal. What I liked the most about this beer was the how well the three ingredients worked with this beer. I thought the combination of spruce tips and juniper berrys would be too much, but it wasn't. What I liked the least about this beer was nothing, there wasn't anything that I really disliked about this beer and I don't think there was anything wrong with it. I would buy this beer again if they make it again, It's already gone in my area so I was happy I grabbed a couple extra bottles while it was still around. I would recommend this to anyone that isn't turned off by the combination of ingredients with an IPA. All in all I thought this was a very interesting beer, I can see how some people wouldn't like it, but I like the Imperial Spruce Pilsener so this beer is right up my ally and I think that the cranberry adds a nice light touch to this beer. Good job shorts, thanks for another good and innovative beer, keep up the good work.

Juicy Tree from Short's Brewing Company