Evil Urges - Short's Brewing Company

Evil UrgesEvil Urges

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Belgian Dark Ale |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: elNopalero on 03-30-2012)
Reviews by RaulMondesi:
RaulMondesi

3.31/5  rDev -12.2%

So it's called Evil Urges, yet it has a picture of a cute little kitty on the label... Anyway, this dang sucker definitely reminds Raul of a vindictive ex - but lets not go there.

So I smelled it, and I sipped it, and I drank it...and I basically "aited" it. This beer definitely isn't going to make you wanna call your grandmama and tell her all about your Evil Urges. It's just kind of there; like all those rock candies stuck together in that glass victorian bowl at said grandmama's house.

Smells ok, tastes ok, but it lacks depth.

Why I spent three years with ya girl, I will never know. But Evil Urges, I'm sorry to say, I won't be spending an elongated time with you.

01-14-2014 08:45:03 | More by RaulMondesi
tectactoe

03-19-2014 12:56:22 | More by tectactoe
warnerry

3.25/5  rDev -13.8%

03-07-2013 23:15:13 | More by warnerry
tigg924

4.36/5  rDev +15.6%

Poured into a tulip glass. Had at Lord Hobo.

Appearance: dark red-brown in color, clear, 3/4 inch head that goes quick, medium carbonation

Smell: plum, date, and dark fruit

Taste: cinnamon, date, dark fruit--berries, lots of brown sugar, and light flavors of dark bread

Mouthfeel: very sweet with a touch of bitterness, low carbonation, heavy bodied

Overall: This is my new favorite in this style. It tastes like a great quad with very pronounced flavors. Nice and complex. Up there with the best Shorts beers I have had. Marked to style, but this one would still be in the 4 range for me.

03-04-2013 15:10:33 | More by tigg924

11-10-2013 00:37:28 | More by HardyA
lowpulp

11-29-2013 00:27:26 | More by lowpulp
StoutHunter

I picked up a bottle of Short's Evil Urges about a week ago for $2.09 at The Lager Mill. I tried this beer when I visited Short's last winter and i thought that it was a pretty good beer and I'm interested to see how the bottled version turns out, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date but it just showed up so it's fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- I like the label. i'm not a big cat person but I think the pouting cat on the label looks good and it's fairly eye catching. It poured a very deep dark brown color that was on the border of being black and it didn't really let any light come through with two and a half fingers worth of darker tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice sticky rings of lacing. This is a pretty good looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a low amount of high sweetness that imparts a candied sugar like aroma followed by a nice dark fruit aroma along with a sweet malt and a light roasted malt aroma. Up next comes a light but noticeable alcohol aroma followed by some Belgian yeast that imparts some banana, cloves and other spicy aromas. This beer had a pretty good aroma, all the different aspects seemed to work well together.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts with a high amount of medium sweetness that has a light candied sugar like taste to it followed by some dark fruit and roasted malt flavors with the roasted malts seeming to stick out a little more imparting a light chocolate and roasty taste. Up next comes a noticeable alcohol flavor that's a little warming and there's also some Belgian yeast coming through and imparting some nice banana and spicy flavors. On the finish comes a little more dark fruit with a slightly lower medium amount of bitterness with a roasty, Belgian yeast and dark fruit like aftertaste. I thought this was a pretty good tasting beer, it had a little bit of complexity to it along with some nice balance.

M- Fairly smooth, a little creamy, a little sticky, rich, on the lighter side of being full boded with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty good and it worked nicely with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good beer and a nice and unique example of the style, I don't think it's the truest to style, but enough aspects fit within the guidelines of the style so it doesn't hurt it. This beer had decent drinkability, it was fairly smooth, a little filling, and the taste did a nice job of holding my attention but I think one is enough for me and it isn't really the type of beer that I would drink multiples of, I think it makes for a good late fall early winter time beer. What I liked the most about this beer was how well rounded it was, none of the aspects were too overpowering. What I liked the least about this beer was that it didn't have that light tartness to it like it did when I tried it last winter. I would buy this again if Shorts releases it again, it's all gone in my area, but i'm happy I got a few to cellar so I can see how it changes over time. I would recommend this to anyone who likes the style or sweeter malty beers in general. All in all I enjoyed this beer, but I did think it was a little different then the first time I tried it when it had a light amount of tartness and I kind of wish this beer had that too since I liked it and I thought it worked well with this beer and it made it really unique. Good job Shorts thanks for another quality and unique beer, keep up the good work.

11-18-2013 04:39:44 | More by StoutHunter