Evil Urges - Short's Brewing Company

Beer added by: elNopalero on 03-30-2012

first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last
Reviews by rudzud:
3.69/5  rDev -3.9%

Received as an extra in a trade and poured into a Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a nice darkish brown black with a one finger mocha head that faded to leave light, thin side lacing and a thin creamy blanket/halo.

S - Aromas of almost burning alcohol, dark raisins, plum, burnt sugars, candi malts. Maybe some faint chocolate.

T - Taste is dark fruits, chocolate, raisins, sugary sweetness, burnt caramel, belgian yeast notes. Actually not that bad at all.

M - Mouthfeel though is pretty meh. Lowly carbonated, thin, syrupy, booze, sticky, heavy. Ugh.

O - Overall, a solid offering from Short's though not my favorite Belgian Dark Ale by any means. (646 characters)

I picked up a bottle of Short's Evil Urges about a week ago for $2.09 at The Lager Mill. I tried this beer when I visited Short's last winter and i thought that it was a pretty good beer and I'm interested to see how the bottled version turns out, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date but it just showed up so it's fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- I like the label. i'm not a big cat person but I think the pouting cat on the label looks good and it's fairly eye catching. It poured a very deep dark brown color that was on the border of being black and it didn't really let any light come through with two and a half fingers worth of darker tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice sticky rings of lacing. This is a pretty good looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a low amount of high sweetness that imparts a candied sugar like aroma followed by a nice dark fruit aroma along with a sweet malt and a light roasted malt aroma. Up next comes a light but noticeable alcohol aroma followed by some Belgian yeast that imparts some banana, cloves and other spicy aromas. This beer had a pretty good aroma, all the different aspects seemed to work well together.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts with a high amount of medium sweetness that has a light candied sugar like taste to it followed by some dark fruit and roasted malt flavors with the roasted malts seeming to stick out a little more imparting a light chocolate and roasty taste. Up next comes a noticeable alcohol flavor that's a little warming and there's also some Belgian yeast coming through and imparting some nice banana and spicy flavors. On the finish comes a little more dark fruit with a slightly lower medium amount of bitterness with a roasty, Belgian yeast and dark fruit like aftertaste. I thought this was a pretty good tasting beer, it had a little bit of complexity to it along with some nice balance.

M- Fairly smooth, a little creamy, a little sticky, rich, on the lighter side of being full boded with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty good and it worked nicely with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good beer and a nice and unique example of the style, I don't think it's the truest to style, but enough aspects fit within the guidelines of the style so it doesn't hurt it. This beer had decent drinkability, it was fairly smooth, a little filling, and the taste did a nice job of holding my attention but I think one is enough for me and it isn't really the type of beer that I would drink multiples of, I think it makes for a good late fall early winter time beer. What I liked the most about this beer was how well rounded it was, none of the aspects were too overpowering. What I liked the least about this beer was that it didn't have that light tartness to it like it did when I tried it last winter. I would buy this again if Shorts releases it again, it's all gone in my area, but i'm happy I got a few to cellar so I can see how it changes over time. I would recommend this to anyone who likes the style or sweeter malty beers in general. All in all I enjoyed this beer, but I did think it was a little different then the first time I tried it when it had a light amount of tartness and I kind of wish this beer had that too since I liked it and I thought it worked well with this beer and it made it really unique. Good job Shorts thanks for another quality and unique beer, keep up the good work. (3,584 characters)

3.69/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Wonderful bottle art, and my Belgian preferences tend toward the darker and stronger...so I couldn't resist. Nice lacing but minimal head, very nearly opaque. Alcohol is noticeable in both the smell and taste, but raisins, dark fruits, clove and banana come through just as well and take your mind off the 9%. As is warms there's a bit more going on and the sweetness comes through in a way that really works in its benefit. I'd generally recommend it, and how could you say no to that tortured little little cat on the label... (530 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -8.9%

3.25/5  rDev -15.4%

4.34/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a tulip glass. Had at Lord Hobo.

Appearance: dark red-brown in color, clear, 3/4 inch head that goes quick, medium carbonation

Smell: plum, date, and dark fruit

Taste: cinnamon, date, dark fruit--berries, lots of brown sugar, and light flavors of dark bread

Mouthfeel: very sweet with a touch of bitterness, low carbonation, heavy bodied

Overall: This is my new favorite in this style. It tastes like a great quad with very pronounced flavors. Nice and complex. Up there with the best Shorts beers I have had. Marked to style, but this one would still be in the 4 range for me. (594 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -2.3%

4.25/5  rDev +10.7%

3.5/5  rDev -8.9%

3.48/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.25/5  rDev -15.4%

4.22/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +10.7%

3.43/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.02/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured with nice quarter inch creamy head. Very dark; barely any light passing through. Aroma is similar to a quad with hints of raisins and currants; some banana. Heavy alcohol tends to overwhelm the taste. Let this one breathe and the taste starts to follow the aroma nicely. (278 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -2.3%