Evil Urges - Short's Brewing Company

Beer added by: elNopalero on 03-30-2012

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 160 | Reviews: 28
Reviews by shamrock071521:

I picked up a bottle of Short's Evil Urges about a week ago for $2.09 at The Lager Mill. I tried this beer when I visited Short's last winter and i thought that it was a pretty good beer and I'm interested to see how the bottled version turns out, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date but it just showed up so it's fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- I like the label. i'm not a big cat person but I think the pouting cat on the label looks good and it's fairly eye catching. It poured a very deep dark brown color that was on the border of being black and it didn't really let any light come through with two and a half fingers worth of darker tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice sticky rings of lacing. This is a pretty good looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a low amount of high sweetness that imparts a candied sugar like aroma followed by a nice dark fruit aroma along with a sweet malt and a light roasted malt aroma. Up next comes a light but noticeable alcohol aroma followed by some Belgian yeast that imparts some banana, cloves and other spicy aromas. This beer had a pretty good aroma, all the different aspects seemed to work well together.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts with a high amount of medium sweetness that has a light candied sugar like taste to it followed by some dark fruit and roasted malt flavors with the roasted malts seeming to stick out a little more imparting a light chocolate and roasty taste. Up next comes a noticeable alcohol flavor that's a little warming and there's also some Belgian yeast coming through and imparting some nice banana and spicy flavors. On the finish comes a little more dark fruit with a slightly lower medium amount of bitterness with a roasty, Belgian yeast and dark fruit like aftertaste. I thought this was a pretty good tasting beer, it had a little bit of complexity to it along with some nice balance.

M- Fairly smooth, a little creamy, a little sticky, rich, on the lighter side of being full boded with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty good and it worked nicely with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good beer and a nice and unique example of the style, I don't think it's the truest to style, but enough aspects fit within the guidelines of the style so it doesn't hurt it. This beer had decent drinkability, it was fairly smooth, a little filling, and the taste did a nice job of holding my attention but I think one is enough for me and it isn't really the type of beer that I would drink multiples of, I think it makes for a good late fall early winter time beer. What I liked the most about this beer was how well rounded it was, none of the aspects were too overpowering. What I liked the least about this beer was that it didn't have that light tartness to it like it did when I tried it last winter. I would buy this again if Shorts releases it again, it's all gone in my area, but i'm happy I got a few to cellar so I can see how it changes over time. I would recommend this to anyone who likes the style or sweeter malty beers in general. All in all I enjoyed this beer, but I did think it was a little different then the first time I tried it when it had a light amount of tartness and I kind of wish this beer had that too since I liked it and I thought it worked well with this beer and it made it really unique. Good job Shorts thanks for another quality and unique beer, keep up the good work.

3.69/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Wonderful bottle art, and my Belgian preferences tend toward the darker and stronger...so I couldn't resist. Nice lacing but minimal head, very nearly opaque. Alcohol is noticeable in both the smell and taste, but raisins, dark fruits, clove and banana come through just as well and take your mind off the 9%. As is warms there's a bit more going on and the sweetness comes through in a way that really works in its benefit. I'd generally recommend it, and how could you say no to that tortured little little cat on the label...

4.34/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a tulip glass. Had at Lord Hobo.

Appearance: dark red-brown in color, clear, 3/4 inch head that goes quick, medium carbonation

Smell: plum, date, and dark fruit

Taste: cinnamon, date, dark fruit--berries, lots of brown sugar, and light flavors of dark bread

Mouthfeel: very sweet with a touch of bitterness, low carbonation, heavy bodied

Overall: This is my new favorite in this style. It tastes like a great quad with very pronounced flavors. Nice and complex. Up there with the best Shorts beers I have had. Marked to style, but this one would still be in the 4 range for me.

4.02/5  rDev +7.2%

Poured with nice quarter inch creamy head. Very dark; barely any light passing through. Aroma is similar to a quad with hints of raisins and currants; some banana. Heavy alcohol tends to overwhelm the taste. Let this one breathe and the taste starts to follow the aroma nicely.

3.33/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

So it's called Evil Urges, yet it has a picture of a cute little kitty on the label... Anyway, this dang sucker definitely reminds Raul of a vindictive ex - but lets not go there.

So I smelled it, and I sipped it, and I drank it...and I basically "aited" it. This beer definitely isn't going to make you wanna call your grandmama and tell her all about your Evil Urges. It's just kind of there; like all those rock candies stuck together in that glass victorian bowl at said grandmama's house.

Smells ok, tastes ok, but it lacks depth.

Why I spent three years with ya girl, I will never know. But Evil Urges, I'm sorry to say, I won't be spending an elongated time with you.

4.31/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I wrote a review for this beer on my blog, Bill's Beer Report.

It makes me sad that it is no longer brewed. Short's is a great brewery.

3.88/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured a great head when served at about 52'. The smell is powerful, don't serve it too cold, has some over ripe banana and plum notes. The smell is maybe the most complex thing about this, more in it than the taste, but it is changing as it warms a bit in the glass. Not sure I really go for the taste. Too much over ripe banana. More alcohol smell and taste as it warms. This was a fun surprise for me. I'm glad it caught my eye in the store. Some dark ales try to do too much and this one doesn't and I think that makes it work.

3.42/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Review from 1/4/14

A: Dark color with not much head off the pour.

S: Smells sweet, a little caramely, and has some dark fruitiness in there also.

T: Dark fruit, wet paper/cardboard taste, light brown sugar, and a little bit of cocoa.

M: Medium body, lower carbonation, and a little bit of an oily feel.

O: A decent Belgian-style beer. Flavor is fairly complex, but the wet paper kills it.

3.92/5  rDev +4.5%

12 oz brown bottle - Shorts website states: 7.8 ABV with 58 IBU

Evil Urges Belgian Ale filled my tulip glass with a deep very dark brown [almost black] color and produced a 1 1/2 finger bubbly tan head that reduced to a collar of foam. The nose picks up an aroma of chocolate and dark fruits. This medium-full body ale is malty and sweet. with dark fruits and has a roasted character with enough bitterness to balance.

Evil Urges is an easy drinker - if you like the style it is sure with a go!

3.87/5  rDev +3.2%

Appearance: pours a black color with just the lightest hint of brown around the edges. almost no foam but a small tan film that fades quickly to nothing. opaque

Smell: immediately a strong yeast smell. strong raisin as well. dark candi sweetness. maybe a bit of plums and a hint of roast or burnt sugar

Taste: opens up with a strong belgian yeast. dark fruits, light plum and strong raisin. dark candi sugar sweetness, dark slightly burnt caramel.

Mouthfeel: a bit too heavy and sticky, could be lighter and more carbonated.

Overall: a few flaws in look and mouthfeel but a solid beer over all. still not on the high end of belgian darks but worth a shot for Shorts and Belgian dark fans

3.65/5  rDev -2.7%

Thanks to Travis for the extra!

Poured into a Shorts tulip, deep dark brown in color, translucent really only around the edges; a small tan head dwindled to a thin collar, leaving some wispy streaks of lacing on the glass. Lots of dark sugars and dark fruits in the nose, with hints of woody booze. I'm almost surprised this isn't the BA version (it's not, I double checked). In the taste, burnt caramel, brown sugar, plums, rum raisin, a dusting of cocoa, wet wood, bready yeast; dry, woody finish with a coffee-like bitterness that lasted into the aftertaste. This beer was very potent, with a lot of flavor, and I was tasting and feeling every bit of the 9%ABV, though I felt it was well-integrated. Body was medium, about average for the style, mouthfeel was snappy, carbonation was a little less than medium, but by no means low. This was a decent beer overall.

3.98/5  rDev +6.1%

A - Pours a very dark brown with thin tan head. Some light lacing is present.

S - Good amount of sweetness and lots of roasted malts. Alcohol is present on the nose.

T - Just like the smell. Nice amount of sweetness followed by roasted malts. The Belgian yeast produces a nice banana flavor. Nice tasting beer.

M - Medium light body with medium carbonation. Sticky mouthfeel.

O - Another very solid beer from Short's. On the sweeter side, but still very drinkable and enjoyable.

12 ounce bottle into tulip glass, bottled on 10/21/2013. Pours fairly pitch black color with a 1 finger dense tan head with good retention, that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Spotty soapy lacing clings around the glass. Aromas of big raisin, prune, fig, pear, apple, banana, clove, pepper, toast, dark bread, roasted malt, dark chocolate, dark candi sugar, herbal, and yeast earthiness. Damn nice aromas with good balance and complexity of fruity/spicy yeast and dark/roasted malt notes; with good strength. Taste of big raisin, prune, fig, dark bread, toast, dark chocolate, dark candi sugar, roasted malt, coffee, banana, clove, pepper, herbal, and yeast earthiness. Lingering notes of dark fruits, dark bread, toast, dark candi sugar, roasted malt, dark chocolate, coffee, banana, clove, pepper, herbal, and yeast earthiness on the finish for a while. Damn nice complexity, robustness, and balance of dark/roasted malt flavors with fruity/spicy yeast; with a great malt/yeast flavor balance and no cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and medium-full bodied; with a very slick, moderately syrupy, and slightly chalky mouthfeel that is good. Alcohol is very well hidden with only a slight warming present after the finish. Overall this is a damn nice Belgian dark ale! All around good complexity, balance, and robustness of dark/roasted malt and yeast ester flavors; and very smooth to sip on for the ABV. A very enjoyable offering.

3.71/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Evil Urges

Evil Urges is a Belgian dark strong ale with a deep dark brown color. A sharp aroma of chocolate and molasses hits the senses, reminiscent of a rich liqueur. Aided by additions of Belgian amber candi sugar, the initial flavors are sweet and malty, with some unique, dark fruit qualities. This full bodied beer is defined by its roast malt character and slight black coffee bitterness that lead into an intense warming finish.

8.4% ABV

Wow, this is quite a bit better than I expected. Lots of plum and candi sugar taste, fairly strong alcohol, maybe closer to a quad. There's a nice hint of banana and other "fruity yeast esters" to support the sweetness and booze. There's a stout-like roasted flavor that helps balance things out in a unique way. It's not super true to style or whatever, but waaaayyy better than some other attempts like Brewery Vivant's (a supposedly Belgian-style brewery) strong dark, for example. As an $11 six pack I think this is a fair representation of the style and a very tasty beer in its own right. It reminds me quite a bit of Sierra Nevada's Ovila Quad.

4.1/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a bottle into a snifter. The beer is an opaque brown (almost black) with scant head. The aroma is of sweet malt with roasty coffee and some leather and alcohol. The taste has a very deep roasty component and is medium sweet rather than funky. The aftertaste is of slight hops, sourness and leather. The beer has medium light carbonation; the body is appropriate. Overall, I like the deepness and complexity of this beer.

3.72/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

Bottled 10/22/14
Poured into a tulip glass.

A- Pretty opaque dark brown some light coming through on the edges, two finger brown head.

S- Some dark dried fruits, some char, some Belgian clove and banana yeast esters, quite a bit of alcohol.

T- Alcohol, Belgian esters, char, finishes nicely like a Belgian stout but the alcohol is a bit too noticeable.

M- Nice on the heavier side of medium.

O- A beer with a lot of different flavors going on. I found the alcohol and char aspects a bit overwhelming though. I hear the bourbon version is pretty great so I'll keep my tastes buds on the lookout for it. Some people were saying this one is too sweet but I didn't find that.

4.16/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A Michigan winter isn't complete without grilling in sub zero temps with an Evil Urges to keep you warm. And keep you warm it will. I was pleased to see it available this year, since I didn't notice it on Short's release schedule.
Look, straight up, I'm biased. This is one of my favorites Short's. A great Belgian Dark, with lots of character on the tongue and nose. Almost quad-like, with a bit of bite from the ABV. And you will feel the ABV. St. Bernards should carry barrels of this stuff on their collars.

3.69/5  rDev -1.6%

Received as an extra in a trade and poured into a Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a nice darkish brown black with a one finger mocha head that faded to leave light, thin side lacing and a thin creamy blanket/halo.

S - Aromas of almost burning alcohol, dark raisins, plum, burnt sugars, candi malts. Maybe some faint chocolate.

T - Taste is dark fruits, chocolate, raisins, sugary sweetness, burnt caramel, belgian yeast notes. Actually not that bad at all.

M - Mouthfeel though is pretty meh. Lowly carbonated, thin, syrupy, booze, sticky, heavy. Ugh.

O - Overall, a solid offering from Short's though not my favorite Belgian Dark Ale by any means.

4.15/5  rDev +10.7%

This is a dark and mysterious Belgian strong ale that looks, well, dark and mysterious in the glass. A shade of crimson-ruby when held to the light. Not overpowering but definitely distinct aromas with yeasty esters. Stone fruits, dried fruits are present. Tasty, warms well, and one I’d gladly drink again.

3.37/5  rDev -10.1%

Thanks to tectactoe for this bottle, so tiny that it was lost in the massive dump that is my beer fridge. 12 oz. bottle with a Chucky-style kitty on the label. I dig.

The pour is dark with about thirty-one tiny bubbles floating around the beery soup. Smells sweet, sweet, with a bit of dried sugar drizzled on the bananas. I can smell the belly-warming going on already.

Evil Urges should be renamed Raisin Fantasy. Bulbous raisin treacle infests the mouth & won’t let go, necessitating a through cracker-munching before trying anything else. Underneath the shriveled black grapes comes a few touches: chocolate, warm raw sugar, roast as it warms, alcohol that’s hotter than the ABV promises. Plum comes jigging into the finish, & sweetness washes over everything. Pretty happy I split this with my wife, because six ounces is enough to pass judgment on this monster.

Interesting & appropriately warped, which hasn’t been the case with the latest crop of Short’s beers, but the myriad tastes fought more than they made love. Pretty good brew.

3.77/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours almost black, with little head to speak of.

Smells of bread and currants.

It's pretty bitter, but sweet at the same time. A nice warm overwash of alcohol. Great for the winter season. It's sort of like drinking a sip of bourbon. Not for the faint of heart, but very pleasurable.

Mouthfeel us syrupy, as expected from such a sweet brew.

Overall, I'm am enjoying this quite a bit. If you like dark and strong, give it a try. You'll at least get drunk!

3.75/5  rDev 0%

Pretty good, more roasty than I was expecting. You taste the alcohol, but it's quite an enjoyable beer.

3.97/5  rDev +5.9%

On-tap for $6.25 (or $6) a pint at Boat Works in St. Clair Shores, Michigan.

Appearance: Black. Maybe half a finger of a tan head, if that. This thing's ABV is pretty high, so I wasn't expecting much of a head, but that just meant more beer in the glass. There was spotty lacing for a little while, but there was nothing after that. The appearance isn't its high point... unless you're talking about the label. One of the best around!

Smell: Dark fruit. Some roastiness. Maybe a tinge of alcohol. I haven't had many of the style, but man, it smells nice. Changes with every whiff you take.

Taste/feel: Super solid, enjoyable beer. Like the smell, dark fruit. The roastiness isn't as prominent, but this is a fairly sweet beer. The medium sort of mouth feel with the carbonation it has keeps it from being syrupy/overly sweet though, which is great. This has that apple skin aroma that I sort of associate with quite a few Belgian beers, with a nice amount of dark fruit, and subtle roast. Incredibly tasty beer.

Another winner from Short's. Glad to have tried it, and you should try it yourself.

4.14/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 ounce bottle, dated 10/20/2014

Bottle pours with a murky, deep amber hue and a dense, one finger cream colored head. Noticeable yeast is present at the bottom of the glass and the beer leaves behind beautiful lacing.

Aroma jumps out of the glass with sweet dark fruits, namely raisin. I also get subtle chocolate, dark malts and alcohol. Banana and clove esters from the yeast are also there.

Taste follows the nose almost identically. The alcohol is slightly more present, especially mid-palate.

Mouthfeel is not quite syrupy thick, but close and bitterness cuts the sweetness somewhat, but not completely. Carbonation is on the low side of medium.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised by Evil Urges. I'm not a huge fan of any particular element (raisin, banana, clove, etc.) in this beer individually, but the way they are blended make it delicious.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »