Goodnight Bodacious - Short's Brewing Company

Goodnight BodaciousGoodnight Bodacious

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

American Black Ale |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: smakawhat on 06-15-2012)
3.5/5  rDev -15.5%

dfillius, Feb 19, 2013
4.46/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle served in a snifter.

L - black with a beige head that thinned to a ring leaving streaks of lacing rings.

S - roasted aroma jumps out at first with faint citrus rind in the background.

T - rich roasted coffee and chocolate upfront is met by citrus rind bitterness blending with chocolate covered espresso coffee beans on the finish.

F - medium/full bodied with a creamy, smooth feel.

O - perhaps a pioneer in a new style, American Double / Imperial Black Ale?
in any event it is a very good beer, get some and enjoy responsibly.

JoeyBeerBelly, Feb 18, 2013

FrankHammer, Feb 15, 2013

Sirvis, Feb 14, 2013

david131, Feb 14, 2013
4.44/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I picked up a bottle of Short's Goodnight Bodacious last week for $2.19 at The Lager Mill. This is the first time Short's has bottled this beer, I've never tried it before and haven't really heard much about it, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I know it's fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label is pretty nice looking, the picture of the constellation and the story behind the name is pretty cool. It poured a dark pitch black color that didn't let any light come through with a finger and a half worth of darker tan head that died down to a thick ring and left lots of nice lacing behind. This is a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a good amount of dark malts that impart some roasted, caramel, chocolate,and coffee like aromas. Up next comes the hops which show up nicely and impart a pretty piney aroma followed by an almost equal amount of citrus hops with grapefruit and citrus rinds coming through the most. The aroma of this beer was very good, it smells like a 50/50 mixture of an Imperial Stout and a Double IPA, I really liked it and I thought it was quite unique.

T- The taste seems to be pretty close to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by a nice amount of dark malts that impart a nice roasted, slightly charred, slight coffee, and some nice chocolate flavors. Towards the end I get a good amount of hops that impart some nice citrus and piney flavors with the citrus seeming to stick out the most with some nice citrus fruit rind flavors. It had a higher amount of medium bitterness with a roasted and a resiny hop aftertaste that really sticks around. This beer has a really good taste to it that's intense while still being very well balanced, I really enjoyed it.

M- Fairly smooth, hidden alcohol, slightly creamy, on the medium side of being full bodied, with a good amount of medium carbonation. This beer had a good mouthfeel, it was a little thick for the style, but I thought that the extra thickness worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a very good beer and a good example of the style, but there's no confusing this with any other American Black Ale, it's a completely different animal, it's very unique. This beer had ok drinkability, it went down fairly smooth and the flavors did a great job at holding my attention, but it's a little too intense to drink multiples of, so I think one bottle is enough for me. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma and taste, they were really nice, intense yet balanced, I really liked that. What I liked the least about this beer was nothing, I can't say that there's anything that I didn't like or would want to change about this beer, it's great just the way it is. I would for sure buy this beer again if they release it again, it's already all gone in my area, so I'm glad I picked up a few of these, I recommend this to anyone whole loves Black IPA's and all around intense beers. All in all I was pretty impressed with this beer, I always expect good things from short's, it's what they do, but I didn't expect to like this beer as much as I did, it really won me over. Short's shows you can take some robust malts and combine them with some intense hops and bitterness and get a great tasting yet well balanced beer that isn't dull in the slightest. Great job Short's, you guys continue to impress me with your awesome and unique brews and this one is no exception, I can't wait to see what other new and crazy beers you have waiting to be unveiled.

StoutHunter, Feb 14, 2013

Marti403, Feb 11, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +14.7%

SpartanGuy, Feb 10, 2013
4.15/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Thanks to Jeff for this one! Pours a menacing shade of black, no real color can be detected from this one. Light-tan head, a bit lighter than I would expect for a beer so dark. Aroma is full of nice toasted caramel malts and deep, roasted malts. Not picking up much cocoa or chocolate, mostly just a deep roasty aroma. Hops are present as well, after all this is just a black DIPA, right? Mostly heavy on the pine needles and florals, but the citrus notes come alive sometime during the latter half of the beer.

The aroma leaves no secrets as to how this one will taste, maybe aside from the fact that the hops are a bit more pungent on the palate than they were on the nose. A nice, steel-y caramel and deeply roasted malt backbone holds up a nicely constructed hop profile - more pine, pine needles, and some oily resin. Citrus is a bit buried, but eventually surfaces; grapefruit rind, lemon and orange zest. There's a heavy bitter and resinous flavor that resounds into the aftertaste. A touch of roasted malts also linger alongside the finishing hops. Medium bodied, not quite thick or sticky, somewhat dry and easily drinkable for a DIPA.

What can I say about Shorts that hasn't already been said? I love their willingness to try new shit. This was my first "black DIPA" and it was pretty damn good. Unique, interesting, tasty, and extremely drinkable.

EDIT: 3/24/2013

After plowing through my own six pack, I realized I like this even more than I originally thought. Hops had faded a little bit, leaving the beer more "stout" like, but it was still delicious. I got more bitter cocoa notes this time that I wasn't getting before. Very roasted, tasty, and unique - like a stout that has been overhopped to oblivion.

tectactoe, Feb 10, 2013

Acuity, Feb 10, 2013
3.89/5  rDev -6%

$2.19 for a 12oz bottle @ BevCo. No specs on the bottle or website. Pours out to a clear dark black, forming a nice mouse-like dark tan head with excellent retention and nice lacing. Carbonation is moderate, ~2.5 carbs or so. Fine layer of yeast in the bottle. The aroma erupts with hops...skunk weed and pine, sitting on top of some nice roasted malts with suggestions of espresso and black walnut. Mouthfeel is very soft and creamy smooth with a medium dense body. The taste is very good. It's what I would expect for something described as a double black IPA...lots of hop oil aromas, roast and big body but unlike that of an imperial stout. The hops dominate in flavor, but there is a very pleasant balance between the roast and bitterness, which is medium firm. I'm guessing Simcoe and Amarillo are probably in here. The mouthfeel is bitter like strong espresso, with hints of french roast astringency as well. Alcohol adds a peppery bite. I'm guessing this is somewhere around 8.5% by flavor. There are some sherry and port like oxidized notes in the finish.

A very interesting and well made beer and the first time I've had a Black DIPA. The bitterness is a bit over the top and as a result, one is plenty, but it's still worth a try. I just couldn't see myself buying a 6-pack of this.

Mitchster, Feb 10, 2013

MichiganBrews, Feb 10, 2013
4.26/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Appearance is a dark black color with light head and medium carbonation. Smells are heavy on citrus, with some sweeter malt smells like molasses and raisin mixed in. Taste is that of a very balanced malty IPA with a crisp bitter finish. Mouthfeel is thick for an IPA. This is very drinkable and tasty.

webmanspidey, Feb 09, 2013

Zaphog, Feb 09, 2013

alex021224, Feb 09, 2013
4.33/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Completely opaque, black and with a small tan head that sticks mostly to the side of the glass. Color reminds me a of a stout or porter. Smells of roasted barley and citrusy hops. Some coffee and chocolate notes in there as well. Taste has the roastiness somewhat subdued and well-balanced with the bitterness and flavoring of the hops. Finishes dry with the alcohol well-hidden. It teeters on the edge of being a stout, but not quite there. The hops are definitely in the spotlight here. The mouthfeel is moderate and lightly carbonated. Overall, I like these black barleywines. This is a style that I would like to see more. Maybe I'll brew up a batch of my own, and use this as a standard. This is a good brew!

33nickadams, Feb 09, 2013