Wowee Zowee - Short's Brewing Company

Wowee ZoweeWowee Zowee

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

American Blonde Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: madeofsteel on 06-25-2012)

KatieS, Oct 09, 2014

marcb105, Sep 19, 2014

rjcoy06, Jun 23, 2013

JamesShoemaker, Oct 23, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +11%

Mango, mint, hops, with good texture... seems like more of a spring brew, but a really great option for something on the refreshing side.

Jiveturkey75, Sep 25, 2014
4.24/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A: Beautiful golden color with a bright white head that eventually fades completely.
S: It's a bad descriptor, but this smells like a Short's beer. They have a very recognizable yeast smell and flavor. I get a little mint too.
T: Initial flavor is the lightly roasted malts of a golden ale. Then you get sweet mint, finishing with tart mango juice, more vegetal mint, and some piney hops. A really fantastic combination of flavors.
M: Fluffy mouthfeel with medium carbonation. The tartness of the mango leaves a nice dry finish.
O: Another impressive beer from Short's. I would have never put mango and mint together, but it really works. It's very good, but because of the tart finish, one is enough for me.

Fargrow, Sep 22, 2014
4.2/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: pours an earthy orange color. a finger of an off white head that fades pretty quickly but leaves a stronger lacing than I would think it too. pretty hazy but lets quite a bit of brightness to it.

Smell: juicy mango, quickly cut off by sharp mint. maybe some alcohol sneaks through. certainly not the strongest smelling beer

Taste: opens up with juicy mango and a strong kick of mint. the two main flavors develop nicely without letting anything else through. end is very strong on the mint side.

Mouthfeel: light refreshing but a little low on the carbonation. hot mint but not enough to take away.

Overall: this is the kind of beer I love Short's for. Interesting, true to what it says it is, and tasty. Although this one is hard to describe besides the mango and mint. Great beer.

SportsandJorts, Sep 30, 2014
4.12/5  rDev +7.6%

ryantho00, Sep 20, 2014
4.08/5  rDev +6.5%

"A refreshing golden ale infused with fresh mint and mango. Green mint and fruity aromas pour off of this light bodied ale, opening up the senses with a tingling cool freshness." ~SBC

Poured into a Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a playful hazy tangerine color with some promising head and varying bubbles. Not much retention or lacing to speak of.

S - Fresh mint is strong in the nose, crisp and inviting. Smells pretty sweet, too, although I can't pick up on any mango.

T - The mango certainly isn't lost in translation, but the mint seems to want total control. Not necessarily a bad thing, just an observation. The mint seems to contribute an almost prickly sort of bittersweet near the finish.

M - It's a very interesting mouthfeel. Cooling, almost like chewing on a sprig of mint, and very light in body. However, it seems to be a little overwhelming.

O - This managed to pair incredibly well with a spinach salad, and I suspect it wouldn't be too bad as a dessert beer. I'd recommend pairing with food rather than drinking it by its lonesome. Good brew.

madeofsteel, Jun 26, 2012
4.08/5  rDev +6.5%

Stu_Grimson, Sep 29, 2014
4.07/5  rDev +6.3%

elliott1184, Nov 08, 2014
4.06/5  rDev +6%

Bottled 9/08/14 and poured 9/24/14. $2.29 single. Poured into a shaker pint.

Appearance: A very slightly hazy golden color. Aggressive pour gave about half a finger of creamy, slightly off-white head. A little lacing. Nice color.

Smell: Mango? Sure, the mint? Not so much. Honestly, this smells like a solid IPA to me, even though I know it isn't an IPA. It doesn't so much have a sort of hoppy dankness, but the mango just gives the impression of tropical kinds of hops. After that, there's a biscuity/bready kind of malt sweetness too. But really, where's the mint? Nothing there for me that hints mint at all.

Taste/feel: Basically exactly like the smell. Mango on top, then there's a biscuit/bread malt character through the middle. Only a little bit of hoppy bitterness. The finish is where I think mint might be coming through, but it comes in more like an earthy, herbal sort of quality more than "YEP! MINT!" It's a little more noticeable as it warms, but still, it's more of a nondescript herbiness than mint. The long lingering flavor of Wowee Zowee, to me, is almost grassy. The feel is great, with a nice prickliness on the front of the tongue, but then a moderate, almost full body at the end.

Excellent beer. I'm almost tempted to give this beer an even higher rating, but I won't, just because I was hoping for more mint. It has a very nice, fresh mango flavor, a great biscuity sort of malt profile, and a very good herbal I-suppose-it's-mint quality as well.

Alextricity, Sep 25, 2014
4.05/5  rDev +5.7%

I picked up a bottle of Shorts Wowee Zowee last week for $1.99 at The Lager Mill. I've been wanting to try this beer for awhile now and I'm really interested to see how the combination of mangos and mint in a beer will work, so let's see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I know it's fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a Shorts imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks really nice and it goes great with the beer, I think it's pretty eye catching. It poured a nice golden orange color that took on more of a darker orange hue when held to the light with a finger and half of tiny bubbled and slightly creamy white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed til the end and it left some nice rings of sticky lacing behind. This is a good looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with the mangos being the first to show up and they impart a nice fresh, natural and juicy mango aroma that goes right into the malts which impart some lightly toasted, bready and bread crust like aromas with just a little bit of sweet malts showing up in the background along with a slight amount of doughy yeast. Up next comes the the mint, it for sure is noticeable and it makes for a pretty unqiue aroma when combined with the mangos. This beer had a really nice and unique aroma, both of the main ingredients were represented nicely.

T- The taste seems to be similar the aroma and a little lighter, it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with mango being the first to show up and it imparts the same aspects that it did in the aroma, but they are lighter and not as juicy, Up next comes the malts which impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma, this time they seem to be a little more bready with a little more of that doughy aspect coming through along with a nice creamy flavor. Up next comes the hops which impart a citrus hop flavor and it's quickly followed by the mint that imparts a somewhat lighter natural mint flavor with a little more herbal aspects to go with it. On the finish there's a pretty light amount of medium bitterness with a fruity citrus, bready malt and mint like aftertaste. This was a good tasting beer, it stayed true to it's description and I liked the unique combo of the mint and mango.

M- Smooth, a little complex, crisp, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. This beer had a good mouthfeel that suited nicely.

Overall I thought this was a good and very unique beer, I didn't think it was the best example of a Golden Ale simply because the malts had more of a malty Altbier like flavor to them, but as an experimental beer and as a fruity and herbal beer I would say that it's fits in those categories nicely. What I liked the most about this beer was just how unique it was, in typical Shorts fashion the main ingredients stuck out and were represented nicely, plus they worked strangely well together. What I liked the least about this beer was that the mango weren't as juicy in the taste as it was in the aroma, but in the end that wasn't big of a deal. I would for sure buy this beer again, if I see anymore left on the shelf I'll make sure to grab it. I would recommend this to anyone who likes unique beers, I know I haven't tasted anything like this before. All in all I was a little impressed with this beer, at first the idea of mango and mint being brewed in a beer didn't sound like the best idea to me, but Shorts worked their magic and created a good beer that was a unique experience. It isn't my favorite Shorts brew, but it is one of the better experimental beers I've had from them and I think it's just a good example of that. Good job guys, this was one tasty and unique beer, keep up the hard work. I hope this one returns in the summer next year. This beer marks the 100th different Shorts beer that I've tried, I know that's the most different beers I've tried from one brewery, that's made possible only because Shorts is the king of variety when it comes to craft beers.

StoutHunter, Oct 04, 2014