Alter Spalter - Short's Brewing Company

Alter Spalter
No picture uploaded.

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Altbier |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: madeofsteel on 07-01-2012)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

carlmoberg, Nov 08, 2014
4.04/5  rDev +7.7%

Chappy-88, Nov 04, 2014
3.75/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I got a bottle of Short's Alter Spalter in their new fall variety pack a few days ago for 18.99 at The Lager Mill. I've been wanting to try this beer for a little while now and I'm interested to see how this Old World Style German Ale turns out, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a Short's Imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks nice, I like the geometry style design to it, but I don't know how it relates to the name and I think it's a little eye catching. It pours a nice orange/burnt orange color that took on more of a ruby orange color when held to the light with a finger and a half worth of very light tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left just a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This was a pretty good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a lower amount of medium sweetness with the malts being the first to show up and they impart some slightly grainy, caramel malts, light sweet malt, lots of toasted malts and bread crust like aroma with some doughy yeast showing up in the background. Up next comes a light fruity aroma that goes right into some grassy and earthy hops. This beer had a pretty nice aroma that was true to style.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma, but just a little lighter and it starts off with a lower amount of sweetness with the malts still being the first to show up and they impart the exact same aspects that they did in the aroma with toasted malts and bready aspects still sticking out the most, but this time there's a nutty aspect in the background along with some doughy yeast. On the finish comes just a little bit of fruity aspect that I got in the aroma and it's followed by the hops that still impart those same earthy and grassy aspects along with a slightly higher amount of medium bitterness. This was a pretty nice tasting beer that seemed to be true to style, but I wish it was just a little less bitter.

M- Fairly smooth, pretty crisp, a little chewy, on the thick side of being being medium bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation. This beer had a pretty nice mouthfeel, but I wish it was just a little smoother.

Overall I thought this was a pretty nice beer and I thought it was a good example of an Altbier, it had pretty much all the aspects that I look for in the style and in typical Short's style it's a little bolder that a lot of Altbiers. This beer had nice drinkability, it was fairly smooth, pretty crisp, a little chewy, a little filling and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, I think one or two is enough for me, any more than that and the bitterness and thickness might start to get to me. What I like the most about this beer was how true to style it was, it was just what I expect from the style and nothing seemed to out of place. What I liked the least about this beer was the bitterness, it held the drinkability back a little and I think it should be toned down just a little. I would buy this beer again when in the mood for the style and I would recommend it to anyone who's a fan of the style, I think it's a worthy and slightly bolder Altbier. All in all I was happy with this beer, for the most part Short's kept it pretty traditional with this beer and I liked that and in the end it made for an enjoyable Altbier. It isn't my favorite Short's beer, but it is one of the better Altbier's I've had. Nice work guys, this was one solid Altbier, keep up the hard work.

StoutHunter, Nov 03, 2014