Gingersnap - Short's Brewing Company

GingersnapGingersnap

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

English Brown Ale |  7.80% ABV

Dark English Brown Ale brewed with ginger, cinnamon, and molasses

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-11-2013)
Reviews by Mavigo:
3.81/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Served in a pint glass.

A: Pours a dark brownish-black color, not entirely opaque, and has a short tan head that evaporates quickly but leavers a small tan ring and small amounts of lacing.

S: Smells good. Cinnamon, cardamom, brown sugars, ginger, malts, barley

T: Fairly sweet, somewhat woody, has your basic black lager flavors to it, barley and malts, not picking up too much on the ginger although I can pick up on the cinnamon. Little warmth from the alcohol.

M: Medium bodied beer with medium amounts of carbonation, smooth, rich

O: Overall this was fairly good.

Mavigo, Nov 07, 2013
3.18/5  rDev -3.3%

On tap at Ashley's in Westland for the Shorts vs. Greenbush Throwdown. This one pours the color of a stained armoire, deep-mahogany and mostly opaque, except for the very top and bottom. If not held to the light, it could easily be mistaken for black. The small, off-white head fades to a skin within moments, leaving basically nothing behind.

The aroma is kind of a "half-and-half" ginger split. Half of it smells like a gingerbread cookie and the other half smells like pure ginger root. The first, soft waves hit more like a cookie with the caramel and bread notes lending a helping hand from the malt. Cinnamon and nutmeg are faint, but definitely in the background. Deeper inhales reveal a more raw ginger aroma - like a straight up ginger root up your nostril.

As I go in for my first sip, I'm really hoping it's a little more on the cookie side than the root side, but sadly it is not. Tons of ginger on the palate, but it really is pretty akin to sucking a ginger root. Mildly spicy and potent with almost a sinus-clearing presence, this bad boy is loaded with ginger spice. All hope is not lost, though - some light caramel, toffee, and toasted bread malt flavors collaborate in the aftertaste to help things out a bit, also adding a little sweetness for balance.

The bad part is that as this warms up, the raw ginger flavor just grows heavier and more potent, turning the beer more and more into a liquid ginger root than a liquid gingerbread cookie. Eventually, even the help of the malts on the back end is useless, and the aftertaste just becomes a mouth full of ginger. Thin-medium bodied with medium carbonation and a slick, wet mouth feel.

Not a bad beer, but just too much ginger. I guess I was expecting more malt and cinnamon and nutmeg to give that "gingerbread" cookie feel - like Hardywood's stout, maybe. But this was erring more towards pure, raw ginger, especially as time went on. If I was going to drink a ginger heavy Shorts brew, I'd reach for Ginger in the Rye over this one - the ginger is better integrated into the base style and not quite as attention-grabbing.

tectactoe, May 14, 2013

resistdefy, Mar 31, 2013

bigaddy, Dec 25, 2013

tommy5, Dec 23, 2013
3.35/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12 fl. oz. bottle
Served in a conical pint glass

A - This beer pours a ruddy brown with an inch of tan head.

S - The smell is a jumble of aromas. The ginger is apparent. I get some indiscernible spices, too.

T - I get some ginger, clove, and cinnamon. I can taste a little molasses, as well.

M - Moderate

O - I was thinking this would taste more like gingerbread. It is in the vicinity. It is a ginger beer with some roasted characteristics. I was hoping that it would be better.

buschbeer, Dec 11, 2013

Big_Dave, Aug 15, 2014
3.44/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: The beer is clear dark reddish brown in color and poured with a quarter finger high light tan head.
S: Moderate aromas of ginger are present in the nose along with hints of brown malts.
T: The taste is similar to the smell and is dominated by favors of ginger, which linger and stand out in the finish.
M: It feels medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is a nice holiday ale but seems lime it could use more malts to taste like gingersnaps.

metter98, Dec 29, 2013

Buck_Jones, Apr 06, 2014

HardyA, Nov 09, 2013

lowpulp, Nov 29, 2013
3.6/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I got a bottle of Short's Gingersnap in their new variety 12 pack a couple weeks ago for $18.99 at Meijers. I tried this beer before when I visited Short's last winter, I liked it but I thought it was a little over spiced and I'm interested to see how the first bottled release of this beer is, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but the new variety pack showed up recently, so it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label nice, it fits the beer well and it's a little different looking label for Shorts. It poured a nice dark brown color that didn't really let any light come through with two fingers worth of light mocha colored head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left behind lots of sticky lacing behind. This is the a very good looking beer, the head retention and lacing are better than most Short's beers.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness that has a very molasses and blackstrap like aroma to it with a good amount of spices up that front impart some ginger, nutmeg and cinnamon like aromas with the ginger sticking out the most imparting an earthy fresh ginger rhizome like aroma. Up next comes the malts which are a little overpowered by the spices and impart a nutty and toasted malt like aroma. The aroma is pretty nice and it reminds me of a big chunk of ginger bread cookie dough.

T- The taste seems to be somewhat similar to the aroma and it starts off with a lower amount of high sweetness that has a slight molasses like aroma to it and it's followed by some spices which impart a very light cinnamon flavor with that fresh, earthy, and spicy ginger aspect that I got in the aroma seeming to show up the most. Up next comes a light metallic flavor followed by a noticeable alcohol flavor. On the finish there's some lightly nutty and toasted malt flavors with pretty much no bitterness with that alcohol flavor taking it's place with a ginger and toasted malt like aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer that wasn't overly spiced, but I thought the alcohol could have been hidden better and the metallic flavor was not needed.

M- Not the smoothest. a little boozy,slightly sticky, a little creamy, pretty rich. on the lighter side of being full bodied with a slightly lower amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice, I wish it was smoother, but the lower amount of medium carbonation works great with this beer.

Overall I thought this a nice beer and nice example of a ginger bread themed beer, it isn't too recognizable as an English Brown Ale, but once it warms up I started to get some of that toasted malt base with some light nutty flavors. This beer doesn't have the best drinkability, it isn't the smoothest, it's a little boozy and a little filling and the taste did an ok job at holding my attention so i think one would be enough for me since I think it would start to wear on me if I drank multiples. This make for a great holiday time beer and it's perfect for the winter and late fall season. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance and aroma, I thought they both worked really well with this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the metallic flavor and the noticeable alcohol flavors, i think the alcohol could have been hidden better. I would get a couple bottles of these if they release it next year, but it isn't something I'm going to really anticipate or buy a six pack of, but it seems to fit in nicely with this variety pack and I put one in the cellar as an experiment to see how it changes over time. I would recommend this to anyone who likes ginger beers. All in all I liked this beer, but I think there's room for improvement and it's got a few aspects that make it a little rough around the edges, but it's pretty enjoyable on a cold and slightly snowy day. I thought this variety pack, the third different one released by shorts, was the best of the three with Black Diamond and Mystery Stout being by my favorite and I'm glad they threw in some of their higher abc beers in this variety pack. I thought the spices weren't as overwhelming as they were when I first i had it but, i don't know if wasn't boozy and slight metallic or if the spices just covered it up at the time. Solid work guys, it's nice to see more pub only beers make their way into these variety packs, keep up the good work.

StoutHunter, Nov 18, 2013