Honey Badger - Short's Brewing Company

good

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

American Black Ale |  8.60% ABV

Double India Black Ale brewed with orange blossom honey

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-11-2013)
Reviews by Mavigo:
3.81/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Got this as a gift. Served in a snifter.

A: Pours a basically opaque black color with a short tan head with minimal amounts of lacing.

S: Smells of wheat, barley, citrus, hops, coriander

T: Mellow flavor, tastes of wheat, barley, malts, citrus, with a slight tinge of hops at the finish

M: Full bodied beer with ample amounts of carbonation. Balanced flavor with a kick of hops at the end.

O: Overall this was quite an interesting combination of flavors and profiles. Although I didn't see anything negative to it, it didn't quite fit my fancy. However, to each his own and since this is a limited run, I would suggest trying it.

4.19/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A- Black as midnight, very opaque, resembles a good stout in appearance in many ways. Has about an inch of thick creamy toffee colored head. Generous lacing that does not recede at all. Everything you would want a beer to look like of the style.

S- Very complex. At first glance I am hit with a pungent grapefruit essence and a funk of hoppiness. Then the subtle smells of black currants, anise, tobacco, a hint of mint of all things comes through. A little unbalanced as the hoppy smell steels the show but still very solid.

T/M- WOW! First really good new beer that I have tried in this new year! The flavors of dark malts and a nice dark chocolate/black currant flavor hit the palate first, but then metamorphosize into a bitter hop presence accompanied by a sweetness of honey combined with hints of citrus flavors. The hops become more and more prevalent in this one as it warms up. Mouthfeel is medium leaning toward full body with a tart, dry end feel that leaves your mouth feeling resinous and tacky.

Overall, I really like this one! One of the more complex black ales that I have had and one that I look forward to drinking again in the future. This one is better than expected and worth seeking out

3.76/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle into tulip

Appearance - Black, 1 finger off white head nice lacing.

Smell - Spent coffee grounds, noticeable floral aroma from the orange blossom, malts, and just very subtle hop character.

Taste - Very roasty right from the start. Dark roast coffee, bitter dark chocolate, and subtle smokiness. Slight dried out citrus and biscuit more towards the end.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, medium carbonation, crisp.

Overall - Good beer. This beer has a very unique smell and taste from other beers. Having said that the smell and taste also do not line up perfectly with one another. Reminds me of a smokey stout or porter by taste.

4.25/5  rDev +16.8%

3.25/5  rDev -10.7%

3.59/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

2.75/5  rDev -24.5%

3.59/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a bottle of Short's Honey Badger in their new variety pack a couple weeks ago for $18.99 at The Lager Mill. This is the one that I was most excited for out of the three new beers in the new Short's variety pack and I'm very interested to see how the orange blossom honey works with a black IPA, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but it just showed up recently so it's fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a Shorts imperial pint glass.

A_ The label looks pretty with a nice badge/crest with a honey badger, it's snake enemy and an orange blossom on it, I think it's pretty eye catching. It poured a nice pitch black color that didn't let any light come through and it had two fingers worth of slightly creamy somewhat light mocha colored head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice sticky rings of lacing behind. This is a very nice looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the roasted malts being the first to show up and they imparts some roasted, slightly charred, slightly grainy, chocolate, and coffee like aromas with the coffee seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes a pretty light black licorice like aroma followed by the hops that impart a 50/50 mixture of floral and piney hop aromas. This beer had a pretty nice aroma that reminds me of Founders Black IPA.

T- The taste seems to be somewhat similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the malts being the first to show up and they impart all the aspects that I got in the aroma, but this time its the roasted and slightly charred flavor that sticks out the most. Up next comes a weird black licorice like aroma followed by the hops that impart some floral and piney flavors but there's also a soapy hop flavor that I'm not a big fan of. On the finish there's a low amount of high bitterness that lingers a little with a hoppy and roasted/charred aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer, but the soapy hops and licorice flavor make it a little rough around the edges.

M- Not the smoothest, a little creamy, a little rich, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a lower amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice, but I wish it was smoother.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and a slightly above average example of the style, it had a nice roasted malt base, but to me the hop profile wasn't the greatest and that hurt this beer overall. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it wasn't the smoothest, a little creamy, a little rich, fairly filling and the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention, one would be enough for me, the lingering higher bitterness is a little too much for this beer to handle. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance and aroma, they were both pretty nice and they worked well with this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the taste and drinkability, they could both use some work and they held this beer back from being as good as it could be. I don't think I would buy this beer on it's own, it's not a bad beer, but there's many other black IPA's I would rather have and I don't think I would recommend it either. All in all I was a little let down with this beer, Short's already make a pretty good Black IPA, and I was hoping this one would be a little different but still on the same lever, it is different, but it's not on the same level as Bludgeon Your Eye, I like that one a lot more. I appreciated the effort, but this one just wasn't for me, better luck next time guys.

Honey Badger from Short's Brewing Company