Honey Badger - Short's Brewing Company

good

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

American Black Ale |  8.60% ABV

Double India Black Ale brewed with orange blossom honey

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-11-2013)
3.78/5  rDev +3.8%

12 ounce bottle into snifter, bottled on 1/6/2014. Pours fairly pitch black color with a 1 finger dense khaki head with great retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Light spotty soapy lacing clings around the glass. Aromas of big grapefruit, orange zest/rind, pine, dark chocolate, cocoa, coffee, toast, light char, honey, floral, grass, and roasted earthiness. Damn nice aromas with good balance and complexity of hops and dark/roasted malt notes; with good strength. Taste of big grapefruit, orange zest/rind, pine resin, dark chocolate, cocoa, coffee, honey, light char, toast, floral, grass, and roast/pine earthiness. Sizable amount of pine bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of grapefruit, orange zest/rind, pine resin, dark chocolate, cocoa, coffee, toast, floral, grass, and pine earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Nice balance and complexity of citrus/pine hops and dark/roasted malt flavors; with a solid malt/hop flavor balance and a moderate amount cloying pine bitterness after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a lightly creamy, smooth, and sticky mouthfeel that is good. Alcohol is very well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish. Overall this was a very good imperial black IPA. Good balance and complexity of dark/roasted malt and citrus/pine hops; and very smooth to sip on for the ABV. A nicely enjoyable offering.

superspak, Mar 03, 2014

FlyingHellfish, Mar 01, 2014

Doublicious, Mar 01, 2014
3.76/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle into tulip

Appearance - Black, 1 finger off white head nice lacing.

Smell - Spent coffee grounds, noticeable floral aroma from the orange blossom, malts, and just very subtle hop character.

Taste - Very roasty right from the start. Dark roast coffee, bitter dark chocolate, and subtle smokiness. Slight dried out citrus and biscuit more towards the end.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, medium carbonation, crisp.

Overall - Good beer. This beer has a very unique smell and taste from other beers. Having said that the smell and taste also do not line up perfectly with one another. Reminds me of a smokey stout or porter by taste.

Flopjack, Feb 27, 2014
3.81/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Got this as a gift. Served in a snifter.

A: Pours a basically opaque black color with a short tan head with minimal amounts of lacing.

S: Smells of wheat, barley, citrus, hops, coriander

T: Mellow flavor, tastes of wheat, barley, malts, citrus, with a slight tinge of hops at the finish

M: Full bodied beer with ample amounts of carbonation. Balanced flavor with a kick of hops at the end.

O: Overall this was quite an interesting combination of flavors and profiles. Although I didn't see anything negative to it, it didn't quite fit my fancy. However, to each his own and since this is a limited run, I would suggest trying it.

Mavigo, Feb 27, 2014

gratefulbeerhead, Feb 26, 2014

Gtg642, Feb 26, 2014

core42, Feb 20, 2014

TheConnMan, Feb 08, 2014

kyle86, Feb 06, 2014
3.81/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

$2 single poured into a shaker pint.

Appearance: Pitch black. Aggressive pour still didn't yield much of a head at all. Reasonably good lacing.

Smell: Wow, no kidding. Floral as hell. That orange blossom isn't messing around. Actually smells a bit like some sort of sour orange candy, but that's probably just because I read "orange" blossom. Honey sort of sweetness. Very strange, but nice.

Taste/feel: Like the smell. Man this beer's complex. I don't know where to start. Alright, the first thing I notice going in is the mouthfeel. It's probably-maybe the honey, but there's a creamy feel to it with a very nice body. Then, all at once it seems, there's some dark, roasted, bitter malts, the orange blossom honey, an almost sour orange candy sort of flavor (that I think many people could think tastes like medicine), a slight alcohol warmth, more orange blossom/floral flavors, bitterness, and then a bit of a roasty+orange blossom aftertaste. It is a strange, strange beer. I keep taking sips of it to try and explain it. It is pretty nice, but damn is it strange.

This surely isn't a beer for everyone. Then again, if you read the label, you got what you had coming. The badger on the label makes me think of the slight slap of bitterness and roastiness this beer provides, the snake is for the slightly "venomous" alcohol flavor and warmth, and the orange blossom, of course, is for the only-Short's-would-do-it orange blossom flavor.

One hell of a unique beer. I don't LOVE it, but it's an awesomely different beer for those who are open to trying new things. Hey, "Life is Short's". Drink up!

Alextricity, Feb 06, 2014
2.5/5  rDev -31.3%

marcb105, Feb 06, 2014
3.59/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a bottle of Short's Honey Badger in their new variety pack a couple weeks ago for $18.99 at The Lager Mill. This is the one that I was most excited for out of the three new beers in the new Short's variety pack and I'm very interested to see how the orange blossom honey works with a black IPA, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but it just showed up recently so it's fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a Shorts imperial pint glass.

A_ The label looks pretty with a nice badge/crest with a honey badger, it's snake enemy and an orange blossom on it, I think it's pretty eye catching. It poured a nice pitch black color that didn't let any light come through and it had two fingers worth of slightly creamy somewhat light mocha colored head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice sticky rings of lacing behind. This is a very nice looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the roasted malts being the first to show up and they imparts some roasted, slightly charred, slightly grainy, chocolate, and coffee like aromas with the coffee seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes a pretty light black licorice like aroma followed by the hops that impart a 50/50 mixture of floral and piney hop aromas. This beer had a pretty nice aroma that reminds me of Founders Black IPA.

T- The taste seems to be somewhat similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the malts being the first to show up and they impart all the aspects that I got in the aroma, but this time its the roasted and slightly charred flavor that sticks out the most. Up next comes a weird black licorice like aroma followed by the hops that impart some floral and piney flavors but there's also a soapy hop flavor that I'm not a big fan of. On the finish there's a low amount of high bitterness that lingers a little with a hoppy and roasted/charred aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer, but the soapy hops and licorice flavor make it a little rough around the edges.

M- Not the smoothest, a little creamy, a little rich, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a lower amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice, but I wish it was smoother.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and a slightly above average example of the style, it had a nice roasted malt base, but to me the hop profile wasn't the greatest and that hurt this beer overall. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it wasn't the smoothest, a little creamy, a little rich, fairly filling and the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention, one would be enough for me, the lingering higher bitterness is a little too much for this beer to handle. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance and aroma, they were both pretty nice and they worked well with this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the taste and drinkability, they could both use some work and they held this beer back from being as good as it could be. I don't think I would buy this beer on it's own, it's not a bad beer, but there's many other black IPA's I would rather have and I don't think I would recommend it either. All in all I was a little let down with this beer, Short's already make a pretty good Black IPA, and I was hoping this one would be a little different but still on the same lever, it is different, but it's not on the same level as Bludgeon Your Eye, I like that one a lot more. I appreciated the effort, but this one just wasn't for me, better luck next time guys.

StoutHunter, Feb 04, 2014

strohme2, Feb 01, 2014

TypsiYpsi, Jan 29, 2014

ltltony, Jan 28, 2014
4.14/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a pint glass and noticed the black appearance with not a lot of head. Some with an agitated pour. Splotchy lacing develops along the sides as I take sips.

Aromas of charred oak, coffee, molasses and a touch of floral bouquet greet my nose.

As soon as this hits my tongue I am greeted with a huge hit of roasty, charred coffee tones which give the undertone and overtones of the brew. This is balanced against a flowery sweetness and resinous hops. I wish I could have had this fresh to taste the full hop profile.

The feel is medium to full in my mouth with ample drying in the end. The roasty notes keep on coming long after a sip...a reminder of the tastiness that was before me.

This is a really good black IPA and I can only imagine it was twice as good fresh on tap. It's hard to know how long it was sitting in the mixer 12 pack before I tasted it. Another solid Short's brew!

TCgoalie, Jan 28, 2014
4.5/5  rDev +23.6%

zoso1967, Jan 27, 2014

alelover, Jan 26, 2014
4.16/5  rDev +14.3%

Poured into my MI Brewers guild pint glass !

A: Pours pitch black with a white/khaki head- which is strangely "milk-stoutesq" look to it.. sugary-sticky sweet head... Intriguing and mysterious with big tan bubbles and leaves mild lacing as it sinks to the bottom of the pint.

S: Dark chocolate... coffee... and happy hops on the nose.

T: Hop presence is here right away. Then fades to a roasted carmelly honey flavor. definitly can taste the alcohol bite to this one, pretty bold. The honey taste is nice as it is subtle and plays the supporting role to the malts and hops in this one.

M: Medium balanced feel to this one, sticky and sweet but at the same time roasty and malty. I like this. Very much.

For the record im not and never have been a hop head. I love malty beer and balanced hops!! This one surprised me. Overall the highlight of the newest (at this time) of shorts variety 12 pack we have been blessed with in michigan. I swear, these guys can think of anything. Another home run for SBC.

Drk93TT, Jan 25, 2014