Honey Badger - Short's Brewing Company

good

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

American Black Ale |  8.60% ABV

Double India Black Ale brewed with orange blossom honey

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-11-2013)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
StoutHunter

3.59/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a bottle of Short's Honey Badger in their new variety pack a couple weeks ago for $18.99 at The Lager Mill. This is the one that I was most excited for out of the three new beers in the new Short's variety pack and I'm very interested to see how the orange blossom honey works with a black IPA, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but it just showed up recently so it's fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a Shorts imperial pint glass.

A_ The label looks pretty with a nice badge/crest with a honey badger, it's snake enemy and an orange blossom on it, I think it's pretty eye catching. It poured a nice pitch black color that didn't let any light come through and it had two fingers worth of slightly creamy somewhat light mocha colored head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice sticky rings of lacing behind. This is a very nice looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the roasted malts being the first to show up and they imparts some roasted, slightly charred, slightly grainy, chocolate, and coffee like aromas with the coffee seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes a pretty light black licorice like aroma followed by the hops that impart a 50/50 mixture of floral and piney hop aromas. This beer had a pretty nice aroma that reminds me of Founders Black IPA.

T- The taste seems to be somewhat similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the malts being the first to show up and they impart all the aspects that I got in the aroma, but this time its the roasted and slightly charred flavor that sticks out the most. Up next comes a weird black licorice like aroma followed by the hops that impart some floral and piney flavors but there's also a soapy hop flavor that I'm not a big fan of. On the finish there's a low amount of high bitterness that lingers a little with a hoppy and roasted/charred aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer, but the soapy hops and licorice flavor make it a little rough around the edges.

M- Not the smoothest, a little creamy, a little rich, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a lower amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice, but I wish it was smoother.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and a slightly above average example of the style, it had a nice roasted malt base, but to me the hop profile wasn't the greatest and that hurt this beer overall. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it wasn't the smoothest, a little creamy, a little rich, fairly filling and the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention, one would be enough for me, the lingering higher bitterness is a little too much for this beer to handle. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance and aroma, they were both pretty nice and they worked well with this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the taste and drinkability, they could both use some work and they held this beer back from being as good as it could be. I don't think I would buy this beer on it's own, it's not a bad beer, but there's many other black IPA's I would rather have and I don't think I would recommend it either. All in all I was a little let down with this beer, Short's already make a pretty good Black IPA, and I was hoping this one would be a little different but still on the same lever, it is different, but it's not on the same level as Bludgeon Your Eye, I like that one a lot more. I appreciated the effort, but this one just wasn't for me, better luck next time guys.

02-04-2014 23:15:02 | More by StoutHunter

ltltony

01-28-2014 15:41:31 | More by ltltony
TCgoalie

4.14/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a pint glass and noticed the black appearance with not a lot of head. Some with an agitated pour. Splotchy lacing develops along the sides as I take sips.

Aromas of charred oak, coffee, molasses and a touch of floral bouquet greet my nose.

As soon as this hits my tongue I am greeted with a huge hit of roasty, charred coffee tones which give the undertone and overtones of the brew. This is balanced against a flowery sweetness and resinous hops. I wish I could have had this fresh to taste the full hop profile.

The feel is medium to full in my mouth with ample drying in the end. The roasty notes keep on coming long after a sip...a reminder of the tastiness that was before me.

This is a really good black IPA and I can only imagine it was twice as good fresh on tap. It's hard to know how long it was sitting in the mixer 12 pack before I tasted it. Another solid Short's brew!

01-28-2014 00:22:05 | More by TCgoalie
zoso1967

4.5/5  rDev +24.3%

01-27-2014 06:04:03 | More by zoso1967
alelover

01-26-2014 07:27:43 | More by alelover
Drk93TT

4.16/5  rDev +14.9%

Poured into my MI Brewers guild pint glass !

A: Pours pitch black with a white/khaki head- which is strangely "milk-stoutesq" look to it.. sugary-sticky sweet head... Intriguing and mysterious with big tan bubbles and leaves mild lacing as it sinks to the bottom of the pint.

S: Dark chocolate... coffee... and happy hops on the nose.

T: Hop presence is here right away. Then fades to a roasted carmelly honey flavor. definitly can taste the alcohol bite to this one, pretty bold. The honey taste is nice as it is subtle and plays the supporting role to the malts and hops in this one.

M: Medium balanced feel to this one, sticky and sweet but at the same time roasty and malty. I like this. Very much.

For the record im not and never have been a hop head. I love malty beer and balanced hops!! This one surprised me. Overall the highlight of the newest (at this time) of shorts variety 12 pack we have been blessed with in michigan. I swear, these guys can think of anything. Another home run for SBC.

01-25-2014 01:18:05 | More by Drk93TT

mrebeka

01-24-2014 03:43:10 | More by mrebeka
SportsandJorts

3.49/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: brownish black. opaque but some lightness near the edges. a figure of a tan head that leaves a little bit of a spotty lacing

Smell: citrusy, black licorice, black malts. maybe a little bit of pine

Taste: opens up with black licorice. citrusy and some piney hops. ends with a burnt malts bitterness.

Mouthfeel: fairly light but some alcohol warmth

Overall: I am no fan of black ales, i thought if anyone could make one i like it was shorts. but this one still falls short.

01-23-2014 02:51:48 | More by SportsandJorts
king75

4.19/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A- Black as midnight, very opaque, resembles a good stout in appearance in many ways. Has about an inch of thick creamy toffee colored head. Generous lacing that does not recede at all. Everything you would want a beer to look like of the style.

S- Very complex. At first glance I am hit with a pungent grapefruit essence and a funk of hoppiness. Then the subtle smells of black currants, anise, tobacco, a hint of mint of all things comes through. A little unbalanced as the hoppy smell steels the show but still very solid.

T/M- WOW! First really good new beer that I have tried in this new year! The flavors of dark malts and a nice dark chocolate/black currant flavor hit the palate first, but then metamorphosize into a bitter hop presence accompanied by a sweetness of honey combined with hints of citrus flavors. The hops become more and more prevalent in this one as it warms up. Mouthfeel is medium leaning toward full body with a tart, dry end feel that leaves your mouth feeling resinous and tacky.

Overall, I really like this one! One of the more complex black ales that I have had and one that I look forward to drinking again in the future. This one is better than expected and worth seeking out

01-22-2014 01:12:49 | More by king75