Short's Beard Of Zeus - Short's Brewing Company

Short's Beard Of ZeusShort's Beard Of Zeus

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

American Pale Lager |  4.50% ABV

A super hopped American pale lager brewed exclusively with Zeus hops. The wet green dank aroma of the Zeus hops pour out of this beer with sweet hints of orange. Pleasant resiny hop essence dominate the flavor profile transitioning quickly to a bold bitterness that seems amplified due to the light clean lager finish

(Beer added by: TheBrewo on 05-15-2013)
2.5/5  rDev -34.6%

akttr, Jun 03, 2013

speedvagen, Jun 01, 2013
4.43/5  rDev +16%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

bottle into Duvel glass

appearance: clear orange-ish yellow with foamy white head

smell: piney citrusy hops with a bready lager aroma mixed in

taste: pretty bitter, lots of hop presence, some floral and citrus notes throughout. Not much on the backbone, the hops linger in the aftertaste creating a refreshingly sweet bitterness.

mouthfeel: very light like a lager, average carbonation

overall: To me this tastes like the bastard step child between a nice lager and an IPA, leaning more towards to the IPA side. Very earthy hop bitterness that ends with a cold lager smoothness that goes together oh so well, this may be my favorite beer from Short's, hopefully ill be able to find it again someday, I made this 6-pack last quite awhile, so fresh...

Roman5150, Jun 01, 2013
3.54/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Poured out a small half finger eggs shell white head that dissipated rather fast. The body is crystal clear and light yellow.

S - Lovely sweetness of orange and a punch of hops (pine, citrus, grapefruit) that go rather well with its malt bill. No detection of Alcohol.

T - Wow this has a bite right from the beginning which lingers throughout and take over this one. Can you say lemon rind. Not very balanced with the extreme bitter bite and the low malt bill.

M - Light bodied and really easy drinking. Carbonation is good and the bitterness is left on your palate with a heck of a bite.

O - This beer is easy drinking but is unbalanced in my mind. It could use a bigger malt bill to match this seemingly unbalanced bitterness of the lemon rind. Session beers that are this hopped up just do not seem to work in my mind. Not my favorite from shorts but never the less another interesting beer to try. Cheers!

DrinkMoreBigBeers, Jun 01, 2013
3.98/5  rDev +4.2%

Tried this beer thrice over the past couple days, once warmer and twice fridge temp. Careful with this beer, temp makes a huge difference.

Appearance is pleasant, a pale, clear golden color with a smaller white head.

The nose is nice, a piney, strong hop presence comes wafting up.

Taste - This is where temp makes a huge difference. Warm, this beer is hard to drink. The bitterness is so overwhelming that the beer is just unpleasant. The earthy bitterness coats the tongue and makes the beer hard to swallow. When cold, the bitterness is much more subdued and the beer becomes enjoyable. The orange peel makes it's subtle presence felt, and it plays nicely with the earthy hops.

Overall, this is a great attempt at a session IPL. Plenty of flavor and they go down incredibly smooth when properly chilled. The flavor could be a bit more pleasing, I prefer hops with a citrus or tropical fruit taste, but this is definitely something I will drink again.

thebigredone, May 30, 2013
4.33/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: Light golden straw color, fast fading white head, moderate amount of micro bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass, very clear.

S: Prominent citrus nose with lemon, grapefruit rind, orange peel. Also has some pine and earthy undertones.

T: As one would expect with the IPL label, this is a very hoppy lager. Bitter orange peel (not surprising), ruby red grapefruit, piney resin, and faint grassy earthy notes. Bitterness is substantial, though it is not the most bitter IPL I've had.

M: The massive hoppiness attempts to trick the palate into making you think this is a bigger bodied beer. However, this most definitely feels like a lager, leaning more towards the thin side, though it does not approach watery. Carbonation is a little bit lower than I would like.

O: This compares well to Sam Adams IPL, and I think Beard of Zeus edges it out by a small margin. Extremely hoppy and delicious lager that I will be sure to buy more of next year if it is released.

CMUbrew, May 30, 2013

3.75/5  rDev -1.8%

rkf1976, May 23, 2013

amishbooze, May 22, 2013
4.35/5  rDev +13.9%

Overall:
I drank this next to another IPL (india pale lager). Wolverine brewing company (in Ann Arbor MI) has a few beers in the same style. I was able to taste the orange rind up front, but there is something about those Zeus hops (and rind blend) that really gives the beer something unique- and made it taste much different than the Wolverine IPL.

Appearance:
Hazy golden color (think Oberun)

Smell:
Honestly not that great or strong, really faint smells.

Taste:
I would describe the taste in a few sequences:
1. The orange rind gives an almost Oberun-like taste upfront
2. The hops hit you and you taste something completely different
3. Not long after the hops hit you, you also start tasting the traditional flavors of a good lager, and you can still taste the hops
4. The finish is something mixed between some traditional IPA-like flavors and some smokey wood notes (hickory, cedar, etc.)

Mouthfeel:
Good. A lot of carbonation on the tongue, a lot of fluidity elsewhere.

This beer was good, and the complexity of the taste was welcome. I'm not sure what it is about Short's beer, but they quality of their beer has improved greatly. I'm not sure what their changes have been over the years, but I also had a softparade recently and don't remember it tasting so good since the last time I had it.

dmhurdle, May 22, 2013

stooge, May 22, 2013

I picked up a bottle of Short's Beard Of Zeus last week for $1.89 at The Lager Mill. This is the first time Short's has bottled this beer, they call it an India Pale Lager. Shorts has been brewing some great hoppy beers this year and i'm interested to see how it turns out, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but it just came out, so its pretty fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- I like the label, it kind of looks like Zeus is puckering his lips, but other then that I think it looks pretty nice and it's pretty eye catching. It poured a fairly hazy golden yellow color that took on an orange hue when held to the light with a finger and a half worth of white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left some decent lacing behind. This is a good looking beer, I don't have any complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly lower amount of medium sweetness followed by some citrus rind aromas that seem to stick out a lot. Up next comes a nice mixture of hops aromas, i get some piney, grapefruit and some lighter pineapple aromas in the background. Up next comes some nice grainy and bready malts that impart some nice balance and there is also a light pepper like aroma. The aroma was good, it's very IPA like with some lighter lager aromas in the background.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off the same with some citrus zest flavors followed by lots of hops that impart a medium amount of higher bitterness with some piney, grapefruit, and slight citrus hop flavors. Up next comes a pretty spicy flavor with white pepper sticking out the most with some grainy, bready and lager yeast like flavors on the finish with a bitter, piney and slight citrus hop like aroma. This beer tastes good it has some decent balance, but I still thought it was more IPA then Lager, but in the end it tasted nice.

M- A little smooth, a little crisp, clean, on the fuller side of being lighter bodied with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was good and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and a good example of the style, it had some nice aspects of both styles and while it wasn't as balanced as I would like I still found it to be a pretty enjoyable beer and I thought the orange rind worked pretty will with this beer. It had ok drinkability, it was a little smooth, clean, and the flavors did a decent job at holding my attention, but I think the bitterness is a little too high for me to a drink a few of these, one or two would be the perfect amount. What I liked the most about this beer was the orange rind addition, it wasn't overpowering and it blended well with the other flavors and aromas. What I liked the least about this beer was the higher amount of bitterness, if it was toned down some it would really help the drinkability and make it more session able, and that's the way I feel most Lagers should be. I might have bought a couple more but I'm sure they are all gone by now and the store had a 3 bottle limit, so I got the limit, I would check it out again if they decide to release it again and I recommend this to anyone who likes hoppy Lagers. All in all I was happy with this beer, it was a nice example of a hoppy lager, and while it was a little rough around the edges it was still pretty enjoyable. I still think I like a Shift a little more than this one, but it's still a very solid beer. Good job Short's you guys are really raising the bar when it comes to hoppy Michigan made beers.

StoutHunter, May 21, 2013

kirkfrailey, May 20, 2013
3.49/5  rDev -8.6%

Bottle poured into a Pilsener glass.

A- 2-finger, pillowy, white head. Slightly hazed, golden-straw body with moderate carbonation. Great retention at 1/4-finger, a little swirl coaxes more. Awesome stick, I'm a sucker for lace.

S- Hmmm. Very IPA-esque. Lots of citrus zest (orange with some lemon or grapefruit). Some pineapple. Light crackery malts.

T- Lots of citrus zest, almost pithy. Grapefruit. More sips and I get a lot of grainy malts. If the alternative is an American Pale Lager, cool, but I don't know. It doesn't really come together.

M- Medium-light feel, verging on thin. A little grainy, all the same.

O- I don't know. These hoppy, "session" beers don't seem to cut it. I love the idea of a session. Give me a malty English mild and I'm good. The hoppy versions don't deliver for me. It's kind of like some friends's first go at all-grain brewing many years ago. It came out like a hop-tea. Don't get me wrong. It's not bad (I'd score lower if that was the case), but I just don't get the new trend of hoppy, low ABV. At the pricing point, give me a Huma Lupa and call it good. The high hops need a better malt base in my estimation.

GRPunk, May 20, 2013