1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Superfluid - Short's Brewing Company

SuperfluidSuperfluid

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: Zaphog on 06-14-2013)
Reviews by StoutHunter:
4.23/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I picked up a bottle of Short's Superfluid last week for $1.89 at The lager Mill. I've been wanting to try this beer and I was happy to see it on this years bottling schedule, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I know it's fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle in to a snifter.

A- The label looks pretty good, it's got a nice look to it and I like the story behind this beer, I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a slightly orange golden color that took on more of a orange hue when held to the light with two fingers of somewhat creamy white head that died down to a thin ring that stays till the end and it left some spotty and patchy lacing behind. This was very nice looking beer, the head and lacing were nice and I really like the color.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the hops being the first to show up and they impart a huge fruity aroma with some tropical fruit and peach like aromas sticking out the most with some piney and slightly floral aromas in the background. Up next comes the malts which impart a light sweet malt and slightly grainy aromas with some doughy yeast aromas in the background. Towards the end I get this real unique coconut and pineapple like aroma. This beer had a really nice aroma, it was full of nice fruity aromas and that coconut and pineapple aspect was pretty unique and not expected.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the hops being the first to show up and they impart that same aspect that they did in the aroma, first comes that fruity/tropical fruit flavors with some piney and floral hops in the background and right after comes the coconut and pineapple with the coconut seeming to stick out a little more. Up next comes a light malt flavor with some sweet and slightly grainy malt flavors showing up with a light amount of doughy yeast in the background and a slight alcohol flavor. On the finish there's a lower amount of high bitterness, with some lingering bitterness, fruity hops, pineapple and coconut flavors showing up in the aftertaste. This was a very nice tasting beer, it was really unique tasting and i can't say that I've had a DIPA that has tasted similar.

M- A little smooth, fairly clean, crisp, a little refreshing, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. This beer had a pretty good mouthfeel that worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a very nice beer and a very nice and unique example of a DIPA, it had all the bitterness that I would expect from the style, but instead of a typical DIPA hop profile this beer went in a different direction that I don't think I've seen any other DIPA go and it's a little hard to believe that there were no crazy adjuncts thrown into this beer. This beer had nice drinkability, it was a little smooth, fairly clean, crisp, a little refreshing, not too filling and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, but I think one would be my limit since I think the bitterness would start to wear on me a little. What I like the most about this beer was how unique it was, there's no confusing this beer with an average DIPA. What I liked the least about this beer was the drinkability, it wasn't bad, but i think if the bitterness was toned down just a slight bit then it would make it a little more drinkable and I would contemplate having two. I would for sure buy this beer again, I think it's all gone around here, but I would for sure get a six pack if they bottle it again next year. I would recommend this to people who like DIPA's especially if you like them pretty bitter. All in all I was little impressed with this beer, since it's a Shorts beer I expected it to be good, but I had no clue it was going to go in the direction that it did and I didn't mind it one bit, like a lot of Shorts brews it sets itself apart from the pack and I like that. It isn't my favorite DIPA, but it's up there as one of the more unique ones I've had and I think it's one the better DIPA's that Shorts makes that I have tried. Great job Shorts, this was a really nice beer, keep up the great and creative work.

StoutHunter, Apr 04, 2014
3.75/5  rDev -9%

DanGeo, May 17, 2014
4.18/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

On tap, Michigan Summer Beerfest 2013. I've been excited to try this one ever since Short's announced it at their taproom, so I made sure to make a special trip to their booth to try it. It pours a befuddled amber with some lighter, orange peel tints at cascading outward. A foamy, off-white head beams up and softly sits on top of the beer for a good, long while. Some chunky spots of lacing are left behind.

Hoppy! Full of leafy, kind of grassy-resinous hops with some ashy and herbaceous undertones, like eating a mouthful of greens. Citrus peels and grapefruit pith abound; you're getting the bitterness and astringency of the fruity notes on the nose, rather than the juicy and sweet, fleshy aromas. Isn't it amazing how hops can introduce both leafy/green and citrus/fruit notes in both flavor and aroma? Superfluid does a great job showcasing the American hop varieties.

The description lists Superfluid as 177 IBUs... a number like that is something to gawk at. I begin thinking of beers around 100-120 IBUs that are insanely bitter and it makes me shiver to think of how this one will taste. The first sip, though, is not as intimidating or insane as the numbers might make you think. Sure, the hops are mildly abrasive and bitter, but after all, it's a double IPA, right?

Leaves, faint ashy, and some piney resins bite the tongue with some white pepper sprinkled grapefruit peels and orange skins. The malt backbone is actually quite nice - toasted bread, with a very light, imparted balancing sweetness that doesn't distract. I like seeing monster IPAs like this without the use of "caramel-or-darker" malts... Those beers often tend to be too sweet. I'd much rather have out of kilter bitterness than a sticky, messy, sweet DIPA.

Back o' the tongue bitterness in the finish with some more dry hops and bitter citrus remains. Superfluid leaves your mouth and palate feeling coated and resinous for sure, but falls just shy of being too sticky or tenacious. Medium bodied with a medium-high amount of carbonation that rolls nicely across the palate; slick, oily, resinous, and sharp.

Aside from The Liberator (which, to be fair, is only around 7.4% ABV), I think this is the only "true" double IPA that I've had from Shorts, since I've missed out on Aww Jeah the last few times it has been out, and I'm quite impressed. This is a very solid DIPA with a heavy, but not overly insane amount of bitterness and the perfect amount of malt parity. I'd love to see this stuff in bottles one day - it's too good not to share with the masses.

tectactoe, Aug 13, 2013

acurtis, Mar 29, 2014

Sammy, May 11, 2014
4.19/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours a small, one finger solid white head. Brew is a beautiful cloudy orange-gold amber, translucent with a lot of action if you look closely. Head retention is solid, and not much lacing to speak of.

Major hop bomb aroma! Tangerines first, but then mangoes and passionfruit, and a hint of dankness. Biscuit malts in the background.

Flavor follows the nose: it's not as aggressively bitter or acidic as you might expect, instead really continuing to ride a wave of tropical fruit notes, with a hint of grapefruit peel in the background (and on the aftertaste). It finishes on a wave of starfruit and peach. Really unbelievably juicy. Malts and water I'm sure provide it a nice back-bone, but beyond a hint of biscuit, I'm not getting much malt.

A little syrupy on the feel, but it's sufficiently lively and definitely drinkable.

This is truly excellent; I'm really digging it.

Thanks to beer-wheezy for sending along this fantastic local brew!

Roguer, Mar 30, 2014

fthegiants, Apr 22, 2014
3.71/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Golden orange body. Small, fleeting head. Very thin collar.

Smell - Citrus and a very distinct herbal aroma. The citrus overpowers it, along with some pale malts.

Taste - Orange citrus. Grapefruit. Gets more grapefruity. Musty finish. Slightly bitter. That herbal flavor comes back in the finish.

Mouthfeel - Sweet up front and then a pretty aggressive bitterness. Medium low carbonation.

Overall - Strange herbal flavor, but it doesn't detract. I rather like it.

Alieniloquium, Apr 15, 2014

beergorrilla, Jan 13, 2014
4.36/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle into tulip

Appearance - Pale orange when held up to light, some copper tones, 1/2 finger white head and nice lacing.

Smell - Lots of tropical fruit citrus, mango, pineapple, papaya, floral pine, and subtle grapefruit.

Taste - Starts out with tropical fruit, mango, pineapple, papaya and even ever so subtle coconut. Now moving into a tart bitterness you get floral pine, resin and grapefruit zest and even subtle zest of orange and clementine. A little alcohol presence that becomes stronger as the beer warms.

Mouthfeel - Medium/full bodied, medium carbonation, refreshing, smooth.

Overall - Good beer. Double American India Pale Ale. Complex, unique, and I'm glad I tried it.

Flopjack, Mar 28, 2014

ScottRansom, Jul 18, 2014

md655321, Mar 22, 2014
4.18/5  rDev +1.5%

From a 12 oz bottle into a tulip.

A: Dark copper with some golden orange, minimal head that fades quickly. Leaves a very sticky lacing.

S: A herbal hop symphony, reminds me of spring salad mix - Amaranth and Mizuna (California Peppergrass). The hop profile is very spicy with a moderate amount of grapefruit, I personally get minimal pine on the nose. Faint notes of a boring malt backbone.

T: Bitter and biting. All the way through. Its a double IPA - it does it well but is slightly exaggerated. There is a very early caramel malt sweetness that is quickly and entirely enveloped by the hops. The grapefruit is much more pronounced on the tongue. That bitterness lasts well through the late palate and just wont die in the aftertaste.

M: Perfect. Full mouth coating and "resinous" as described by the brewer. The malt balance and viscosity is absolutely perfect for the style.

O: An excellent / very good example of the style. +1 for grapefruit. Not the absolute best I have ever had, but at the price point the best you can probably get for your dollar.

Copernicandream, Mar 20, 2014