Short's Cerveza De Julie - Short's Brewing Company

Short's Cerveza De JulieShort's Cerveza De Julie

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

American Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

Mexican Style Lager With Lime Added

(Beer added by: TheBrewo on 08-16-2013)
Reviews by BlissJunkie:

3.6/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

The craft beer equivalent of a Corona with a lime squeezed out and tossed in, right? Or perhaps a more beer nerd approachable version of Bud Light Lime and the like. In any case, a macro-ish Mexican style lager done the micro way with a hint of lime on the top. Not much to look at - though what were you expecting? Pale straw with a little chill haze (actually quite cloudy for a lager) with barely any head... More of a thin, white collar.

The aroma is straight up key lime peels, cereal graininess, and a finishing touch of citrus spritz. Plain and simple, no holds barred, nothing to hide. It's simple, yes. Perhaps even a bit over simplified? Maybe. But then again, maybe not. It is just a Mexican lager with lime after all, and they've already hit the criteria for that. The difference here, is the added tartness of the key limes on the nose and the rustic effect from the heavy cereal grains. Nothing astonishing, but still well done.

The first sip follows along pretty much the same path; pale malt sweetness up front, followed by a good dose of limes and lime juice. The "key" lime portion can be found in the mild tartness spike that's received by each sip; jarring the taste buds just a bit without giving the impression of a sour or fruity beer, and rather just adding a sense of refreshment and authenticity, as though a real key lime had been squeezed and tossed in.

More dying lime juice and dry grains in the finish, along with a big helping of lager yeast, mildly bready in character. Super crisp and clean, ending just like any good lager would, with a palate that's pretty dry and begins begging for another sip as soon as the previous one is gone. Thin bodied, intended and fitting for the style, so I can't say much about that here.

I could imaging tossing back quite a few of these on a hot summer day. Maybe the reason I can imaging it so well is because I've actually already done it. Fire up the grill and keep these flowing like the Amazon. Nothing's gonna blow your socks off here, folks, but what you will find, is a refreshing lager that is purely made for mass quantity consumption... plus you don't have to worry about looking less crafty in front of your beer nerd friends.

3.21/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

12 fl. oz bottle
Served in a pokal glass

L - It is pale yellow in color and topped with an inch of fleeting, white head.

S - I can't deny the fact that Short's captured that lime in a lager aroma minus the skunked smell.

T - It tastes as advertised. I get a lime flavored lager.

M - Thin

O - It pairs well with mariachi music even in December.

3.93/5  rDev +15.6%

I picked up a bottle of Short's Cerveza De Julie a couple days ago for $1.59 at The Lager. It's another hot summer day in Mid Michigan and I've been on the roof tearing off shingles for most of the day so something light and refershing is a mist. I'm interested to see what Short's can do with a lime infused Mexican style lager, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but it just showed up so I know it's fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks nice I like how there's a label inside the label. It poured a pretty clear pale straw yellow color that took on a slight golden hue when held to the light with two fingers of white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left some decent lacing behind. This is a nice looking beer, that looks pretty much dead on for the style.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a good amount amount of malts impart a lots of cereal like malts aromas with a little bit of grainy malts and some doughy yeast in the background. Up next comes the lime which shows up a decent amount and blends well with the malts imparting a slightly tart fresh lime aroma. On the finish there's some grassy hops and a slight soapy aroma but I don't know where it came from. The aroma was nice, but I could have gone without that soapy aroma.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly lower amount of medium sweetness followed by a good amount of sweet, grainy, and lots of cereal like malt flavors with some doughy yeast in the background. Up next comes the line which isn't overdone and I think it sticks out just enough to provide some nice balance to this beer and it imparts some nice fresh and slightly tart lime flavors. On the finish comes the hops which were earthy and grassy and imparted a higher amount of low bitterness with a nice cereal malt and fresh lime like aftertaste. This beer tasted pretty good and it was pretty much just as advertised.

M- Very smooth, crisp, slightly dry, clean, pretty refreshing, on the thicker side of being light bodied with a nice amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and a very good example of the style, I have never had Bud Light Lime or any other beer that already has the lime flavor in it, but I have stuck more than my fair share of limes in the long neck corona bottles and I'm sure I would much rather have this. It didn't have that noticeable corn and cream corn like flavors that I get in most Mexican Style Lagers, but I don't mind it not showing up. This beer had great drinkability, it was very smooth, clean and refreshing, I think a six pack of this on a warm summer day would pretty nice, especially on the beach and I think this would go great with some good Mexican food. What I liked the most about this beer was how balanced it was, neither the malts or the lime were too overpowering. What I like the least about this beer was the light soapy aroma that I picked up, it just didn't seem to go with this beer. I would for sure buy this beer again, it's priced appropriately and I think it would be a nice beer to keep around when non craft beer drinkers come overt, I just may have to buy a six pack of this before it's all gone. All in all i was happy with this beer and even a little impressed, I was a little skeptical about this beer, but I knew if anybody could pull this off it had to be shorts, and that's just what they did. It's for sure not my favorite Short's beer, but for what it is, it's very good. Good job guys, Short's is putting out quality beer after quality beer no matter what style it is, and I see no end in sight.

Short's Cerveza De Julie from Short's Brewing Company