Night Wheeler - Short's Brewing Company

good

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Euro Dark Lager |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: JohnnieNepal on 09-16-2013

Night Wheeler is a dark black lager with bold roasted malt and faint citrus hop aromas. Robust flavors of burnt cocoa and roasted espresso barely give way to some mild orange and grapefruit hoppiness. Night Wheeler’s light body and crisp nature allows for a showcased bitterness that seems delayed at first, but builds to a powerful finish.
to view more.
Ratings: 94 | Reviews: 7
2.43/5  rDev -30.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

12 fl. oz bottle
Served in a becker glass

L - Wow, this is dark. I expected some light to get through, but none come through even when held to the light. Several inches of tan head quickly faded away leaving patches of the side of the glass.

S - I am not a fan of the smell. It smells like burnt popcorn and citrus airfreshener.

T - Speaking of burnt popcorn, the taste starts out that way with hints of citrus. The burnt popcorn flavor just keeps coating my tongue until that is all I can taste.

M - Medium

O - This is my first session Indian black lager. This is not a good introduction to the style.

3.75/5  rDev +7.1%

Bottle shared by Adam. Thanks man.

Dark brown cola body with a tan head. Aromas of cocoa, coffee, roast, char, tangy grapefruit. An interesting beer. Not all flavors coalesce, but still pretty tasty. Chocolate flavors throughout. Another interesting beer from Short's.

3.6/5  rDev +2.9%

12 ounce bottle into lager glass, bottled on 3/25/2014. Pours crystal clear very dark brown color with a 1 finger dense tan head with good retention, that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Light spotty soapy lacing clings down the glass, with some light streaming carbonation. Aromas of grapefruit, orange zest, chocolate, cocoa, coffee, roasted malt, toast, dark bread, floral, grass, light pine, and floral/roasted earthiness. Very nice aromas with good balance and complexity of citrus/floral hops and roast/bready malt notes; with good strength. Taste of grapefruit, orange zest, chocolate, cocoa, coffee, toast, dark bread, floral, grass, light pine, and floral/roasted earthiness. Fair amount of floral/pine bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of grapefruit, orange zest, chocolate, cocoa, coffee, toast, dark bread, floral, grass, light pine, and floral roasted earthiness on the finish for a short bit. Nice complexity and solid robustness of citrus/floral hops and roast/bready malts; with a good malt/bitterness balance and no cloying flavors after the finish. Flavors feel a bit too bland, but not watery. Medium carbonation and body; with a smooth, crisp, and lightly sticky/chalky mouthfeel that is good. Alcohol is well hidden with zero warming present after the finish as expected of 4%. Overall this was a very solid schwarzbier. Good balance and complexity of citrus/floral hops and roast/bready malts; and very smooth and crisp to drink. Was expecting more flavor robustness after the very aromatic nose, but it was still a pleasant and enjoyable offering.

3.53/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bottle purchased in Short's Summer Variety Pack 2014 on 7/18/2014.

Pours a deep and heavy black, enough so that you can not see through the glass. Thin and light head dissipates slowly. Smells of sweet milk chocolate and toasted marshmallow. Slight hint of citrus. Tastes very light and refreshing. Toasted malts come through leaving a very satisfying campfire comfort taste, backed by the very light mouth feel. Hops are apparent at the end and lend a citrus note, but leave a bitter taste. Carbonation is spot on for an easy drinking beer. Overall, very good. The taste defies the style, and the sessionably light 4% ABV lends to supreme drinkability. The hops are a bit more than I would have wanted, but that may mellow some with a bit of shelf life.

3.53/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a bottle of Short's Night Wheeler from their new variety pack last week at Boyne Country Provisions. I'm in the mood for something a little darker and I thought I would give this Session India Style Black Lager, I know I never had one of those before and I'm interested to see how it turns out, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks good, it's got a nice scene of some night wake boarding and i guess it goes with the name, I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a nice black color that took on some ruby edges when held to the light and it had a little over two fingers worth of darker tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice rings of patchy lacing behind. This was a pretty good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with the a medium amount of sweetness with the malts being the first to show up and they impart a nice roasted malt aroma with some slightly grainy, roasted malt, slightly charred, light coffee and light chocolate like aromas. Up next comes the hops which quickly overtake the malts and they impart a nice herbal and slightly spicy hop like aroma with the herbal hops really sticking out in the beer. This beer had a nice aroma, I have no complaints.

T- The taste seems to be very similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly lower amount of medium sweetness with the hops being the first to show up this time and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma with the herbal hops still sticking out the most. Up next comes the malts which impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma but this time it's the light chocolate, roasted malts and light charred flavors that seem to stick out the most and they work well with the herbal hops. On the finish there's a slightly higher amount of medium bitterness followed by a herbal hop, roasted and charred aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer and I think it lives up to the style Shorts gave it.

M- Fairly smooth, not too clean, a little crisp, a little creamy, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. This beer had a nice mouthfeel that worked well with it.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and a nice example of this style, I've never heard of this style before, but it makes sense and if Short's said that what's what it is than that's what it is. This beer had nice drinkability, it was fairly smooth, not too clean, a little crisp, a little creamy, not too filling and the taste did a decent job at holding my attention, but I think two would be my limit and any more than that and it might start to wear on me. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance and balance, to me those were the highlights of this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the hop profile, it wasn't bad, but I think a little bit of citrus hops would help it out a little since it was a little too one dimensional. I would buy this beer on it's own, but I don't know if I would want a full six pack and I wouldn't turn one down, I think it would be a nice beer to enjoy in the later summer or early fall. I would recommend this to anyone who is interested in the name of the style that Short's gave it. All in all I was happy with this beer, but I wasn't blown away by it and I don't see Black IPLs as a style that would benefit from having a session version. This isn't my favorite Short's beer, but since it's my first of the style I guess it's my favorite of the style. Nice job guys, keep on thinking outside the box.

2.78/5  rDev -20.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

A sessionable black lager? That's a first for me. $2.29 single bottled a bit ago, on 3/25/14. Poured into a shaker pint. Don't judge.

Appearance: Ruby black with a thin layer of brown head. Decent lacing. Looks porter-ish. Quite nice.

Smell: I don't know... smells like an old man's breath after he had a banana. Really has a "bad breath" aroma. Weird. Roasted, dirty, muddy smelling, with muddled and almost rotten smelling fruit in the background. Completely baffled. Not enjoying it so far. Gets a little better as it warms, but it's still a combination of the yeast, malt, and hops that's not working for me.

Taste/feel: What a huge disappointment. Almost zero body on this one. A little silkiness, but almost drinks just like water, and a pretty light carbonation doesn't help with that. Bitterness is the first thing I notice over flavor, which is just about never a good sign. For flavor, most of it comes through on the finish, and it just tastes like an average black ale that's been watered down. Pleasant roast aftertaste on this one. There's a subtle hop fruitiness and spiciness in there, but the bitterness is the most clear indicator of hops in Night Wheeler.

It's never a good thing when a beer's appearance is the best part of it... but that's the case here. I didn't like Bloody Beer by Short's, then again I wasn't really expecting to. This beer is a let down and a bit confusing. Looks good, smells bad, tastes alright, and the mouthfeel needs work. Displeased.

3.92/5  rDev +12%

A dark black lager with bold roasted malt and faint citrus hop aromas. Robust flavors of burnt cocoa and roasted espresso barely give way to some mild orange and grapefruit hoppiness. The light body and crisp nature of this unique lager allows for a showcased bitterness that seems delayed at first, but builds to a powerful finish.

to view more.