Night Wheeler - Short's Brewing Company

Night WheelerNight Wheeler

good

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Euro Dark Lager |  4.00% ABV

Night Wheeler is a dark black lager with bold roasted malt and faint citrus hop aromas. Robust flavors of burnt cocoa and roasted espresso barely give way to some mild orange and grapefruit hoppiness. Night Wheeler’s light body and crisp nature allows for a showcased bitterness that seems delayed at first, but builds to a powerful finish.

(Beer added by: JohnnieNepal on 09-16-2013)
Reviews by StoutHunter:
3.53/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a bottle of Short's Night Wheeler from their new variety pack last week at Boyne Country Provisions. I'm in the mood for something a little darker and I thought I would give this Session India Style Black Lager, I know I never had one of those before and I'm interested to see how it turns out, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks good, it's got a nice scene of some night wake boarding and i guess it goes with the name, I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a nice black color that took on some ruby edges when held to the light and it had a little over two fingers worth of darker tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice rings of patchy lacing behind. This was a pretty good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with the a medium amount of sweetness with the malts being the first to show up and they impart a nice roasted malt aroma with some slightly grainy, roasted malt, slightly charred, light coffee and light chocolate like aromas. Up next comes the hops which quickly overtake the malts and they impart a nice herbal and slightly spicy hop like aroma with the herbal hops really sticking out in the beer. This beer had a nice aroma, I have no complaints.

T- The taste seems to be very similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly lower amount of medium sweetness with the hops being the first to show up this time and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma with the herbal hops still sticking out the most. Up next comes the malts which impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma but this time it's the light chocolate, roasted malts and light charred flavors that seem to stick out the most and they work well with the herbal hops. On the finish there's a slightly higher amount of medium bitterness followed by a herbal hop, roasted and charred aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer and I think it lives up to the style Shorts gave it.

M- Fairly smooth, not too clean, a little crisp, a little creamy, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. This beer had a nice mouthfeel that worked well with it.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and a nice example of this style, I've never heard of this style before, but it makes sense and if Short's said that what's what it is than that's what it is. This beer had nice drinkability, it was fairly smooth, not too clean, a little crisp, a little creamy, not too filling and the taste did a decent job at holding my attention, but I think two would be my limit and any more than that and it might start to wear on me. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance and balance, to me those were the highlights of this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the hop profile, it wasn't bad, but I think a little bit of citrus hops would help it out a little since it was a little too one dimensional. I would buy this beer on it's own, but I don't know if I would want a full six pack and I wouldn't turn one down, I think it would be a nice beer to enjoy in the later summer or early fall. I would recommend this to anyone who is interested in the name of the style that Short's gave it. All in all I was happy with this beer, but I wasn't blown away by it and I don't see Black IPLs as a style that would benefit from having a session version. This isn't my favorite Short's beer, but since it's my first of the style I guess it's my favorite of the style. Nice job guys, keep on thinking outside the box.

StoutHunter, Jul 17, 2014

GRG1313, Jun 28, 2014

blatantlocalism, Sep 05, 2014
3.51/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bottle purchased in Short's Summer Variety Pack 2014 on 7/18/2014.

Pours a deep and heavy black, enough so that you can not see through the glass. Thin and light head dissipates slowly. Smells of sweet milk chocolate and toasted marshmallow. Slight hint of citrus. Tastes very light and refreshing. Toasted malts come through leaving a very satisfying campfire comfort taste, backed by the very light mouth feel. Hops are apparent at the end and lend a citrus note, but leave a bitter taste. Carbonation is spot on for an easy drinking beer. Overall, very good. The taste defies the style, and the sessionably light 4% ABV lends to supreme drinkability. The hops are a bit more than I would have wanted, but that may mellow some with a bit of shelf life.

jmunsters, Jul 18, 2014