Night Wheeler - Short's Brewing Company

Night WheelerNight Wheeler

good

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

American Black Ale |  4.00% ABV

Night Wheeler is a dark black lager with bold roasted malt and faint citrus hop aromas. Robust flavors of burnt cocoa and roasted espresso barely give way to some mild orange and grapefruit hoppiness. Night Wheeler’s light body and crisp nature allows for a showcased bitterness that seems delayed at first, but builds to a powerful finish.

(Beer added by: JohnnieNepal on 09-16-2013)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

07-17-2014 18:35:49 | More by Lare453
StoutHunter

3.53/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a bottle of Short's Night Wheeler from their new variety pack last week at Boyne Country Provisions. I'm in the mood for something a little darker and I thought I would give this Session India Style Black Lager, I know I never had one of those before and I'm interested to see how it turns out, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks good, it's got a nice scene of some night wake boarding and i guess it goes with the name, I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a nice black color that took on some ruby edges when held to the light and it had a little over two fingers worth of darker tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice rings of patchy lacing behind. This was a pretty good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with the a medium amount of sweetness with the malts being the first to show up and they impart a nice roasted malt aroma with some slightly grainy, roasted malt, slightly charred, light coffee and light chocolate like aromas. Up next comes the hops which quickly overtake the malts and they impart a nice herbal and slightly spicy hop like aroma with the herbal hops really sticking out in the beer. This beer had a nice aroma, I have no complaints.

T- The taste seems to be very similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly lower amount of medium sweetness with the hops being the first to show up this time and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma with the herbal hops still sticking out the most. Up next comes the malts which impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma but this time it's the light chocolate, roasted malts and light charred flavors that seem to stick out the most and they work well with the herbal hops. On the finish there's a slightly higher amount of medium bitterness followed by a herbal hop, roasted and charred aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer and I think it lives up to the style Shorts gave it.

M- Fairly smooth, not too clean, a little crisp, a little creamy, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. This beer had a nice mouthfeel that worked well with it.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and a nice example of this style, I've never heard of this style before, but it makes sense and if Short's said that what's what it is than that's what it is. This beer had nice drinkability, it was fairly smooth, not too clean, a little crisp, a little creamy, not too filling and the taste did a decent job at holding my attention, but I think two would be my limit and any more than that and it might start to wear on me. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance and balance, to me those were the highlights of this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the hop profile, it wasn't bad, but I think a little bit of citrus hops would help it out a little since it was a little too one dimensional. I would buy this beer on it's own, but I don't know if I would want a full six pack and I wouldn't turn one down, I think it would be a nice beer to enjoy in the later summer or early fall. I would recommend this to anyone who is interested in the name of the style that Short's gave it. All in all I was happy with this beer, but I wasn't blown away by it and I don't see Black IPLs as a style that would benefit from having a session version. This isn't my favorite Short's beer, but since it's my first of the style I guess it's my favorite of the style. Nice job guys, keep on thinking outside the box.

07-17-2014 04:16:54 | More by StoutHunter
mrebeka

05-31-2014 03:45:35 | More by mrebeka
beergorrilla

07-03-2014 19:34:06 | More by beergorrilla
JohnnieNepal

3.93/5  rDev +13.3%

A dark black lager with bold roasted malt and faint citrus hop aromas. Robust flavors of burnt cocoa and roasted espresso barely give way to some mild orange and grapefruit hoppiness. The light body and crisp nature of this unique lager allows for a showcased bitterness that seems delayed at first, but builds to a powerful finish.

09-16-2013 23:18:41 | More by JohnnieNepal

04-02-2014 00:27:16 | More by Drk93TT
Alextricity

2.8/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

A sessionable black lager? That's a first for me. $2.29 single bottled a bit ago, on 3/25/14. Poured into a shaker pint. Don't judge.

Appearance: Ruby black with a thin layer of brown head. Decent lacing. Looks porter-ish. Quite nice.

Smell: I don't know... smells like an old man's breath after he had a banana. Really has a "bad breath" aroma. Weird. Roasted, dirty, muddy smelling, with muddled and almost rotten smelling fruit in the background. Completely baffled. Not enjoying it so far. Gets a little better as it warms, but it's still a combination of the yeast, malt, and hops that's not working for me.

Taste/feel: What a huge disappointment. Almost zero body on this one. A little silkiness, but almost drinks just like water, and a pretty light carbonation doesn't help with that. Bitterness is the first thing I notice over flavor, which is just about never a good sign. For flavor, most of it comes through on the finish, and it just tastes like an average black ale that's been watered down. Pleasant roast aftertaste on this one. There's a subtle hop fruitiness and spiciness in there, but the bitterness is the most clear indicator of hops in Night Wheeler.

It's never a good thing when a beer's appearance is the best part of it... but that's the case here. I didn't like Bloody Beer by Short's, then again I wasn't really expecting to. This beer is a let down and a bit confusing. Looks good, smells bad, tastes alright, and the mouthfeel needs work. Displeased.

06-30-2014 13:59:22 | More by Alextricity