Alien Einstein - Short's Brewing Company

Alien EinsteinAlien Einstein

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

American Pale Lager |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: JohnnieNepal on 09-16-2013

Alien Einstein is a light bodied India Pale Lager with a dull golden color and an inviting aroma of tangy grapefruit juice. A bright burst of fruity and earthy hop flavors immediately hits the palate. This beer exemplifies the well-rounded versatility of the American Mosaic hops used exclusively in this beer.

Bottle dated 5/19/15 at 42 degrees into snifter
$ 1.89/12 oz battle at the Lager Mill
Aroma very floral
Head small (1.5 cm, aggressive pour), off white, frothy, slowly diminishing to irregular two – three mm ring and broken frothy layer.
Lacing good – complete rings of tiny bubbles
Body light yellow, chill haze
Flavor begins slightly bitter and ends with a bitter aftertaste, no other distinctflavor; no malt, no alcohol, no diacetyl
Palate light to medium, watery, lively carbonation

Appearance 4.25, Aroma 4, Flavor 4, Palate 4, Overall 4

3.74/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

huge thanks to thebandit1 for tossing this in a LIF box he sent me. enjoyed from a willie b.

a - poured a light transparent yellow orange with a generous frothy head that hung out and left sheets of lace. real ipa look to the head though the body is a bit light.

s - nose is bright citric grapefruit hops. sweet and inviting.

t/m/o - as the nose suggested, the taste is a bright crisp citric grapefruit hop. after that initial blast, i'm washed over with bitterness. fairly quenching and a gulpable beer. very enjoyable. would mellow out the bitterness on the finish, but did enjoy it.

3.96/5  rDev +1.3%

Thanks to @Prager62 for this golden gem

Pours a golden swirl that pushes forth a tight, active finger-and-a-half off-white foam that settles to a consistent half inch cover.
Smell bursts with grapefruit and key lime zest that hints at a bitterness (on the 3rd inhale).
First taste is slightly earthy bitterness, then goes straight to grapefruity goodness. BOOM! This is the perfect beer to be drinking on this hot day. So crisp, so citrusy. I could do 5 more.
Feel is spot on for a lager, but I keep on thinking of this as a pale ale.
Finish leaves you wanting to click-click the back of your tongue. Some breadiness comes through ever so lightly as the grapefruit mellows.
This is what I would call "sessionable."

4.06/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured from bottle to tulip. Semiaggressive pour yields a substantial rocky, white head that leaves generous lacing as it dissolves. It ends as a thin layer of foam on top of the Golden, crystal clear liquid. Smell is juicy, Sweet grapefruit, pineapples, Mango, and hop oil. Tastes of grassy, floral hops and biscuits. There's a bitter bite in the first shallows which smooths out after half a glass.

3.78/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottled 5/19 and poured 6/24. I've had this one for almost four weeks, so I figured it's about time to try it out. I've wanted to have this beer for awhile, but I missed out on it previously. My first gluten "friendly" beer, to my knowledge.

Appearance: Hard-ish pour into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass gave a creamy white head a finger in height. The beer itself has a light hop haze. There's a little bit of lacing, and a steady amount of carbonation.

Smell: A mild soap aroma is what I initially get, and then a dank hop oil sort of aroma. As it warms, a more pronounced citrus rind and juice smell comes through. This smells like a hoppy fruit juice without much of a malt-like presence (which I suppose makes sense, considering it's just about a gluten free beer). I'm a bit nervous to taste it, because even though it smells good, I feel like it may taste like hop water.

Taste/feel: A heavy prickly carbonation hits the tongue right away and there's a grapefruit flavor with a grassy, bitter hop flavor. Very assertive bitterness to this beer, as it is very generously hopped. I'm not well-versed in the world of gluten free/friendly beers, but I don't know if they normally have a malt sort of flavor like this one does. Alien Einstein actually has a nice little cracker-like flavor on the finish. While it doesn't add much (if any) sweetness, it's nice to have that flavor in there. The feel is a little harsh, but I like the assertive hop bite coupled with that pop-like carbonation. I think normally I dislike it, but right now, I'm digging it.

This is a nice beer. Looking at the bottle, it seems that this is brewed with gluten ingredients (now that malt-like flavor makes sense), but it is stripped out. Not completely, but nearly. This beer packs the hops at a very sessionable 5.5% ABV. A little more sweetness and slightly less harsh carbonation would be ideal, but as it stands, this is still a very nice "IPL".

EDIT: As for many beers, much better as this one warms up. The carbonation feels less intense, the body mellows out a bit, and the fresh hop flavor gets to shine even more.

4.02/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This is very dank tasting and smelling beer. Drink this one aa your last of the evening, the bitterness will throw off the taste of others if it's drank first.

4.09/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured into pilsner glassit has a golden yellow with a thick inch white fluffy head. Smell of fruity tropical grassy hops, pineapples, and sweeter malt. Taste of pineapple, grass, and biscuit dry malt. Light to moderate mouthful feel with a smooth yet crisp taste.

4.28/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a nice good color with some haze, probably from an intense amount of dry hopping.

Smell is punch you in the face hops. Some flower, some pine, and some mango.

Mouthfeel is smooth and crisp. Taste is of pine hops and some sweet malt. Perfect amount of carbonation and the aftertaste is some dryness and sticky hops. Quite pleasing beer

L- Bright light golden with a big white head.

S- Very aromatic, grass, pine, grapefruit.

T- Sweet and bitter, very interesting. Almost an ipa but with lighter body.

F- Light.

O- An amazing hoppy brew from Short's. A must for Short's fans and whoever enjoys hoppy beers.

4.02/5  rDev +2.8%

Bottled 05/19/15. Poured into a straight pint glass.

L- Medium gold, great clarity, one finger white head.

S- Pine, citrus, and a bit of mango.

T- Similar to aroma, pine, citrus, mango, great level of medium sweetness and bitterness. No off lager yeast flavors.

F- Medium very easy drinking and crisp.

O- Another good hoppy beer from Short's. I like that the bitterness is more restrained in this one which really allows the other hop flavors to come out. Much better hoppy lager than Sierra Nevada's recent offering.

3.9/5  rDev -0.3%

12 ounce bottle into lager glass, bottled on 4/3/2014. Pours slightly hazy bright gold color with a 1 finger dense white head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Spotty soapy lacing clings down the glass, with a moderate amount of streaming carbonation. Aromas of big grapefruit, tangerine, peach, mango, lemon zest, orange rind, floral, grass, pine, bread, and floral/grassy earthiness. Very nice aromas with good complexity of bright citrus/tropical hops and light-moderate pale malt notes; with good strength. Taste of big grapefruit, tangerine, peach, mango, lemon zest, orange rind, pine, floral, grass, bread, and floral/grassy earthiness. Good amount of pine/grassy bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of grapefruit, tangerine, mango, peach, lemon zest, orange rind, pine, floral, grass, bread, and floral/grassy earthiness on the finish for a while. Very nice complexity of bright citrus/tropical hops and light-moderate pale malt flavors; with a crisp malt/bitterness balance and a some slight cloying bitterness after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a very smooth, crisp, and sticky mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish. Overall this is a very nice India pale lager style. All around good complexity of bright citrus/tropical hops and moderate pale malt sweetness; and very smooth and crisp to drink. A very enjoyable offering.

3.75/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of Short's Alien Einstein last week for $1.89 at The Lager Mill. I've been curious about this one since I saw it on Short's 2014 release calender and I'm interested to see what Short's can do with a low gluten beer, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, I know it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks pretty nice and it lives up to the name with an alien that reminds of themovie Mars Attacks and he's solving an equation on a chalkboard, I think it's very eye catching. It poured a hazy yellow color that took on more of a golden hue when held to the light with a little over a fingers worth of white head that died down rather quickly to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty lacing behind. This was a pretty nice looking beer, but I wish it had a little better head retention.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with the hops being the first to show up and they impart a piney, spicy and citrus hops aroma with the piney and citrus hops seeming to stick out the most imparting a nice piney and grapefruit like aroma. Up next comes light bready and biscuit like malt aromas with a little bit of sweet malts coming through and there's a lager yeast aroma in the background. This beer had a pretty nice aroma, I have no complaints.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the hops being the first to show up and they impart the exact same hoppy aspects that they did in the aroma with some nice piney and grapefruit like flavors sticking out the most. Up next comes the malts which are on the lighter side and impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma with the bready malts seeming to stick out the most and there's just a little more Lager yeast coming through than it did in the aroma. On the finish there's a higher amount of medium bitterness followed by a piney, grapefruit and light bready like aftertaste. This was a pretty nice tasting beer, the hop profile was nice and so was the balance.

M- Fairly smooth, clean, crisp, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with with a medium amount of carbonation. This beer had a pretty nice mouthfeel and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a pretty nice beer and a nice example of a India Pale lager and I think it's a especially good example of a low gluten beer, it had pretty much everything I would expect from a hoppy lager and I don't think the process of removing the gluten from this beer had any negative effects on it. This beer had decent drinkability, it was smooth, clean, crisp, not filling, fairly dry on the finish and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention but I think two would be my limit since I think the bitterness would start to wear on me if I had more than that. What I like the most about this beer was how true to style it was, it was everything Short's claimed it to be and I like that. What I liked the least about this beer was the bitterness level, it wasn't bad, but I think if it was toned down a little it would help the drinkability. I would buy this beer again if they choose to bottle it again, it's all gone in my area or else I would buy a couple more and I would recommend it to people who like hoppy Lagers and I would for sure recommend this to someone who is interested in low gluten and gluten free beers. All in all I was happy with this beer, it delivered just what I wanted it to and it I enjoyed it for what it is. I'm glad short's decided to bottle this beer, I think it was nice addition to the limited release lineup and I hope this beer comes back next year. This isn't my favorite Short's beer or India Pale Lager, but it is my favorite Low gluten beer. Good job short's I can always expect the unexpected with you guys and I thought this one worked out nicely, keep up the good work.

3.84/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: a yellowish orange color. with just a sliver of a head that sticks around. super hazy and opaque.

Smell: pineapple juice, bready malts, earth.

Taste: opens with hops in the form of citrus and pineapple transitions to bready malts and a light lager yeast. ends in a earthy bitterness.

Mouthfeel: fairly clean but some bitterness. fairly light and fairly refreshing

Overall: this was one of the first Short's beer of the year i was hesitant to buy (besides black ales which i won't drink from anyone) and I was fairly surprised by it. its impressive. great flavors, with some flaws do to the gluten elimination. Overall I'd recommend this one

2.66/5  rDev -32%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Golden, great color. The smell wasn't what I was expecting- I didn't get any of the hop or fruit notes. The taste was also different than I was expecting. I definitely did get those earthy notes but thats about it. It had an aftertaste that was lingering.

I didn't realize it was a low gluten beer and I have never had one of those before, so maybe that was a part of it. I also had never previously had an india pale lager, so I personally just might no be used to these styles.

Still glad I tried it and am sure its a great fit for some! Love Shorts!

3.96/5  rDev +1.3%

A light bodied India Pale Lager with a dull golden color and an inviting aroma of tangy freshly squeezed grapefruit juice. A bright burst of pleasant hop flavors hit the palate spanning fruity to earthy characteristics. Followed by an increased resiny bitterness, exemplifying the well rounded versatility of the American Mosaic hops used exclusively in this beer.

5.5% ABV 75 IBU