Microbrew Invitational

Reviews: 24 | Ratings: 49
Reviews by Rumlibeers:
2.25/5  rDev +15.4%

1.06/5  rDev -45.6%

I imagine few people that drink Crest see the poorly bubbled, clear (but tarnished) golden liquid that lies beyond the steely, navy blue walls of the can (or the brown of the paper bag, for that matter). Should they, however, they won't note anything too different; while it may look pedestrian, and give no indication of the fact that it's the worst beer I've tried, it's definitely something I'd suggest the city's sanitation committee have a look at.

Crest smells like a cesspool of festering corn and alcohol fumes; the first thing that came to mind was a biological contamination site. I'm confused that they've used both hops and hop extract - ain't nothing standing in the way of this repulsive, excessive, cloying, synthetic sweetness. Then again, they also used both corn and corn syrup.

'Oh dear mother of God' - was what came out of my mouth after taking the first sip. The second thing was a fit of dry heaves. It's like they took stale corn kernels, coated them in corn syrup and drenched them in sugar. By the fourth sip it starts to feel like an Inquisition-type form of punishment. There's no way I'll make it through the whole can.

Anything with this much flagrant alcohol can easily upset even those with a cast iron stomach; warm discount-brand vodka is less offensive. 500ml can? Seriously? I could do a shot or two, max, if forced to. It has enough strong, synthetic, fusel quality to strip rust; kidding aside, it could honestly be confused with some of the products under your sink.

I not only appreciate all styles of beer, but genuinely like each and every one of them as well... with the exception of value-brand so-called malt-liquors which, as Crest Super confirms, I'm not too modest to admit, I believe are beneath me. I'm proud to say that I've tried very, very few malt-liquors, but Crest is far and away the most horrible.

Crest Super is super disgusting. The feeling of revulsion actually drinking it far, far exceeds the feeling of embarrassment I had buying the can. Beginning this review I had every intention of poking fun at the destitute, down-and-out types that make up Crest's only demographic - now I just feel sorry for them. In all seriousness, this beer - for all its flagrant, stomach-wrenching alcohol - is actually a very sobering experience.

1.98/5  rDev +1.5%

500 mL can picked up at TBS; best before June 19 2016 and served ice cold. This is a beer that I have intentionally avoided for nearly 10 years now, but I was feeling masochistic tonight.

Pours a clear golden colour, capped off with one inch of frothy white head. It seeps away steadily over the next five minutes or so, eventually thinning out into a foamy cap and collar. Good lacing, too - visually this is a rather attractive lager, but aromatically I'd have to argue otherwise. Corn syrup, alcohol, wet cardboard, boiled vegetables and apples all come to mind, but "quality lager" most certainly does not. To quote a certain fictitious news anchor, I immediately regret this decision.

Not quite as awful as I'd anticipated, but still one of the worst beers I've had in years. Very saccharine, with flavours of corn syrup and cotton candy dominating at first. This is, surprisingly enough, countered by some weedy, grassy hop extract bitterness, but the truly off-putting aftertaste totally blots out that faint beam of light. Little effort has gone into masking the alcohol content, which is noticeable throughout the sip - but it really reaches its climax after you swallow a gulp. At that point, this beer begins to taste the way that compost water and paint thinner smell. Light-medium in body, with appropriately assertive carbonation levels. The alcohol burn is so significant that it almost seems to have a numbing effect on the tongue.

Final Grade: 1.98, a miserable F. Crest Super Premium Lager is more of a fraternity hazing supply or a solvent than a beer. In fact, it is easily one of the worst alcoholic beverages that I can recall consuming over the past decade - and consume I did, all the way to the bottom of the can, because I'm just that stubborn. Crest is shamelessly boozy, and I would judge no man or woman for pouring this swill down the drain. If you are drinking this simply to get drunk (and really, why else would you be?), prove that you have more self respect than me and buy yourself a mickey of whiskey or rum or something.

1.45/5  rDev -25.6%

500 ml poured in a chilled pint glass...

Appearance - Crest pours very light with a white foamy head. Carbonation is fairly good, u can really hear it when you pour. The head is minimal and leads to some ok lacing. Colour is a light gold and very clean.

Smell - for a 10% beer you cant really smell the alcohol, the hops and a sweetness smell come through quite well.

Taste - UGGGG - one of the worse things i have ever put in my mouth! What a taste, there are no words that can over come the bitterness of this beer. I did not enjoy this beer a lick, kind of not looking fwd to the mouthfeel. If there was a 0.0 rating i would give it!

Mouthfeel - At this stage of the review, i am almost in tears cause its so bad. The mouthfeel has barring on the overall bitterness, i had a hard time keeping it my mouth for the duration of the tasting.

Drinkability - Please take not of all the reviews before u go spending your hard earned dollar on this beer. One i wont finish nor will i ever buy again...

2.27/5  rDev +16.4%

500ml can, a sort of surprise new offering from the Wells & Young's group to suddenly show up here in Alberta (for the second time, it would appear!). The ‘finest German aroma hops’, eh? WTF? Was this actually made in the country that originated the English language?

This beer pours a clear, bright medium golden amber colour, with two chubby fingers of puffy, rocky, and bubbly eggshell white head, which leaves some splendid bonsai tree forest lace around the glass as it quickly abates.

It smells of sickly sweet apples and pears, gritty caramel malt, yeasty rising bread, lemon furniture polish, and some strangely stanky, um, strange (ok, hops, I suppose, but man are they musky). The taste is gritty and grainy caramel, well, ‘flavouring’, dead yeast cells, pome fruit-heavy Yuk-a-Flux, further near gag-inducing industrial alcohol warming notes, and a distinct lack of the finest of German hops never to be seen in a shit show like this.

The bubbles are quite underwhelming in their barely perceptible frothiness, the body a so-so middleweight, as if buoyed by some unfamiliar sugar source, and not really all that smooth, not with that pithy, cheap-ass booziness loafing about. It finishes still pretty sweet, but all tainted here, and musty and dead-seeming there. Gah.

Yeah, this is not a craft brew, by any stretch of the imagination, which is a bit of a shame, given the predilections of the parent brewing concern (Courage, Bombardier, etc), but it is a party-starter (or ender, depending on one's constitution, I presume) - Euro malt liquor swill, incarnate. Oh, and I have to apologize for my opening generalizing tirade about the English - we have shitty, supposedly educated marketing people over here too.

2.38/5  rDev +22.1%

Poured a light yellow colour with a white head. Did not dissapear as quickly as other reviewers have claimed.

Smells like grains, sugar and alcohol. Most definitely a typical adjunct lager smell, but stronger.

Tastes...like alcohol. Not necessarily in a bad way. Still some basic malt, corn and hops present. Not actually that bad. Kinda sweet, sour; finishes very dry with alcohol aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is crisp and almost refreshing, but the high amount of sugar and alchol dryness ruin it.

Drinkability is decent. Wouldn't consume more than two. I've finished about 1/3 at this point and I feel good. Hits you every sip you take. I would say that there are better quality high-alcohol beers out there that are much better at hiding the alcohol content... and that taste much better.

Final verdict? I would drink this again and no, I am not certifiably insane.

1.13/5  rDev -42.1%

Can: Poured a dark yellow color lager with small bubbly head with minimal retention and no lacing. Aroma consists of adjunct is extremely powerful and mix with some fusel alcohol that is pretty disgusting. Taste is almost unbearable due to the high-level of adjunct sugar and fusel alcohol. I could barely drink more then 10% of this before drain pouring the while thing.

2.75/5  rDev +41%

1.24/5  rDev -36.4%

Me and a friend first sampled this at the premiere beer bar in this city upon the recommendation of our waitress. The mistake we made was getting real friendly with her, and she felt this gave her license to toy with us. Upon presenting the cans to us, and our noticing the 10% abv kick it had, she then proceeded to tell us that normally most people will drink this stuff with a shot of rye in it as well. My response was, "Nice try lady, but we're not THAT fucked up yet". Still, after sampling it again now, the rye might have added some redeeming character to it...

Poured this out of a 500ml blue and gold coloured can, 10% Super Strength written in large bold gold letters around the bottom half. How this can still remain a premium lager after a claim like that boggles my mind. As with many mistakes of my past, this stuff looked okay in the beginning, was a husky corn gold colour, clear, decent head that leaves some mild lacing. But the fun stops there. The smell is a faint, subdued grainy chemical laced affair. Far too subdued for something 10% abv. What could be lurking under that? Well, I'd describe the flavour as some grain and corn mixed in with petroleum, very, very boozy taste to it, you taste the booze, but no other real discernable flavours. Flavour and mouthfeel blend into a cidery experience, the intense boozy presence gives it an apple vinegar character. Most drinkable, perhaps, out of a brown paper bag and with that shot of rye in there to make it more palatable.

3.36/5  rDev +72.3%

Obtained from a local 'Bargin Booze' outlet, just for joke: I was determinded to dislike it and had a bias preconception formed from trying other high alcohol canned lagers in the UK.

However, I liked the damn thing!

Wonderfully sunny day, and I was knackered after grafting all week: sat in the back garden I remembered this beer and thought I'd give it a go. Poured into Budweiser Budvar stemmed tulip.

Lovely snow white head on top of a crystal clear golden, bright lager. Looked almost identical to the wifes Carlsberg Export, except the Carlsberg had next to no head.

Alcohol esters in an otherwise odourless lager/pilsner type non-smell, I give a score of 3 for smell-less lagers/pilsners.

The actual taste reminded me of a Brigand Belgian Ale, with the alcohol being a little more prominent in this beer.

I also expected a nasty metalic headache type feel to the aftertaste, this didn't happen and I was pleasantly suprised by the beer in general. Sure it had too much alcohol for my tastes, but it told me that on the tin. This a lot better than many in this class or style, honest.

2.2/5  rDev +12.8%

Appearance-It is orange in color, lots of carbonation that forms a mega head and lace.

Smell- The aroma is mainly citrus like.

Taste- Cheap adjunct citrus taste with an alcohol bite.

Mouthfeel- Super Thin.

Drinkability- I was not overly fond of this beer it just seemed to have nothing I like in a beer.

2.11/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

1.75/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

2.18/5  rDev +11.8%

Light golden colour with a minimum head that quickly disapates. The smell is musky and has a lingering bitter aftertaste which can be attributed to excess hops.
The Crest Brewing Company is a division of Charles Wells Ltd. out of Bedford UK.

Tastes like ass.

3.19/5  rDev +63.6%

My brother and I each got a 500 ML can of this cheapness from LCBO on Lundy's Lane earlier this evening on our current mini vacation in Niagara Falls, Ontario. Poured into a clear glass we have in our hotel room. This beer is a clear, light to medium golden color with a white head maybe 1/4 inch when poured. Settles to a nice thick ring lining the inside of the glass. Lots of little bubbles rising to the top of my glass and a decent surface coating. My brother says this beer "smells like lake water", and who am I to argue with that. I couldn't really pick up any discernible aromas I am used to smelling in beer. Sweet malt and adjunct flavor. Again, my brother says that "it tastes like a an rich man's Colt 45", and why not? It reminds me of a not so good version of Baltika # 9. Has a crisp, light to medium body. Easy to drink because it tastes like sugar water, not because it has the consistency of a well crafted beer. It did get us somewhat buzzed.

Eric

1.72/5  rDev -11.8%

Very little aroma, faint bit of malt and alcohol. Taste initially is pretty bland. It is all in the aftertaste. The burn shall we call it. Alcohol burn as it goes down your throat because of the 10%. Taste is metallic and sweet if that's possible. It's one of those beers that if you need to get drunk fast you pound one down. I can imagine a bunch of young brits throwing one back before going out, much like Americans would hit the Schlitz.

1.96/5  rDev +0.5%

1.37/5  rDev -29.7%

Looks like your average adjunct lager, Yellow with a slight bit of head, lots of fizz and some lacing. Smell is very alcoholic, not good at all. Taste is slightly bitter with alcohol and some hints of adjunct, corn i think it is. This is some really rough stuff, hard going down not very drinkable, and in my youth i made the mistake of drinking a few too many of these which resulted in a two day hangover. Avoid this.

2.7/5  rDev +38.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

There's actually a bit of hop flavour here, but mostly boozy corn.

1.5/5  rDev -23.1%