Lammin Sahtia - Lammin Sahti Oy

Lammin SahtiaLammin Sahtia

Lammin Sahti Oy visit their website
Finland

Sahti |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 11-10-2004)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by proc:
1.43/5  rDev -57.9%

Like Walleye in the review before me, this was purchased at Merchant's Fine Wines in Dearborn, Mi. This was one of the worst tasting beverages I have ever drank. It poured out to a brownish, amber in the glass with a decent head. The aroma was that of sourdough bread, but with a "off" characteristic. The taste was wretched. Sour beyond belief and totally undrinkable. The experience was so bad, I feel bad giving the appearance a 3.5, when the beer itself was disgusting enough to be rated 1's throughout. This must've been an off batch for whatever reason. Terrible. One of the few complete, drain pours I have had in a long time.

3.68/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a very hazy, dirty peach color. Tons of sediment in the bottle. Head is vigorous and snaps down to a thin wispy lace. No head retention, but you can see the tight bubbles surface.

Aroma is quite odd, but draws you in with its unique pungent character. Plenty of pine, hints of menthol, herbal, and medicinal (clears the sinuses like a charm, slight eye watering), cooked broccoli or greens, freshly cut grass, animal feed / cage, fruity zest and must, generic bullion cube.

Extremely puckering, tart, acidic and astringent, very much like a fruit Lambic or Gueuze, but with much more depth and flavor. Lifting tight carbonation. Fruity characters bring flavors of sharp orange juice to mind, with a dominant berry tartness and skin-like tannins. Resiny sap and wood notes with a cedar edge. Background notes of cooked greens. Chalky finish.

Definitely one of the most unique beers to hit my palate, and once you get past the initial shock of something so different, it really does grow on you. And those there's Sahtis brewed outside of Finland, maybe are merely interpretations and not really Sahtis. Fantastic, but not for those without an open mind and palate.

2.8/5  rDev -17.6%

Presentation: 11.2 oz brown stubby with no freshness date,

Appearance: Nearly flat with no head at all, cloudy tawny color with chunks floating around.

Smell: Horse feed, chalk, cider vinegar and musty lemon zest.

Taste & Mouth Feel: No carbonation with a slick mouth feel. Very grassy, earthy with a hard tartness beginning to middle. Mild phenols and tart fruitiness, musty yeast and some esters. Sharp hint of juniper spikes middle to end. Finishes with a dry and earthy flavor.

Drinkability & Notes: Very lambic like, perhaps the oddest beer I have ever tasted. Not sure if I should drink it or to clean my hard wood floors with it. Obviously you have to have an acquired taste to like it ... that is something I don't have for this beer. Worth a try if you are a hardcore Lambic drinker.

3.48/5  rDev +2.4%

11.2 ounce bottle, $4.99 @ DeCicco's in Ardsley NY, they said this only has a shelf life of about 2 weeks and they had received it just a few days ago. Pours murky, darker brown, next to no head, no lace. No carbonation, no bubbles, no nothing. Interesting nose with notes of spruce, mint, bubble gum and white wine. In the mouth the lack of carbonation is quite evident, notes of jam, more spruce, mint, white wine and bubblegum. A distinct sour notes come through loud and clear as it warms up a bit in the glass. Quite dry in the long finish. Interesting to try but I highly doubt I would reach for this one again.

3.75/5  rDev +10.3%

Bottle shared by jophish17 - thanks! He noted this was purchased from CBX in Charleston and was under the two week freshness period.

Pours a nice and dark orange-copper color with a wispy layer of bubbles that quickly dissipates into a thin ring around the glass. No lacing.

Smells of deep malts with light caramel undertones. Also present are loads of earthy aromas - some twanginess from juniper along with other aromas best described as "woodsy".

Tastes similar to how it smells. Muted malt flavors are joined quickly by "woodsy" flavors. Juniper and light spices all bound together with earthy undertones. The ending is mildly bitter and leaves juniper flavors lingering on the palate.

Mouthfeel is good. It has a nice thickness with soft yet ample carbonation.

Drinkability is alright. I finished my glass however I'm not sure about another.

Overall this is probably the most authentic sahti I've had (the other being Nogne O's interpretation). It's certainly not a bad beer but it's an obscure style for a reason. Worth a shot for the curious.

4.47/5  rDev +31.5%

Michael Jackson once wrote of sahti, that it's "the only primitive beer to survive in Western Europe", and he's right. It's generally brewed from malted barley and 5-10% dark, malted rye; mashed in long, trough-like wooden vessels; and then lautered through a filter bed made of juniper twigs. Traditionally, it's not boiled; although baker's yeast is pitched. Talk about rustic brewing! And that rustic nature is carried through into every aspect of the beer.

It's turbid, orange-ish brown body is clearly full of proteins and yeast; and it's mouthfeel reflects that. The head is limited, however, and its lacing is limited to small spots and splashes. The aroma is quite complex, possibly even more so than that of a Belgian geueze, and it's earthy due to the juniper, with notes of pine. (The juniper is often steeped in the mash water prior to brewing). It's full-bodied and smooth across the palate with an exceptionally fine-bubbled, natural carbonation that just lightly tingles the tongue. The flavor is bold and complex with notes of juniper, banana, plastic-like phenols, tartness, mustiness, rye, fruit (apricot, tangerine, lemon, unripe berry), and a sublime peppery spiciness (probably from the rye).

The Lammin Sahti is a brilliant example of the style that's a must-try (you might not like it, but you should try it). You should also note that because sahti is microbiologically alive and will not keep long once it reaches its top condition (in less than two weeks), it should be bought cold, kept cold, and consumed shortly thereafter.As they say in Finland, "Kippis!"

3.08/5  rDev -9.4%

Hazy, coppery tawny-gold in hue, the liquid has a lovely tint to it. The head was white and active; at the apex the foam reached a short-lived half finger in height. In a loud moment the head faded to a fairly thick, bubbly collar. Animation was passing which might help explain the head development or lack thereof. The subsequent lacing was very spotty; I can count the residue clumps on one hand. Overall the appearance is admirable. The nose is amazingly rustic. Lammin Kataja Olut smelled nothing like this, I liked the ale yeast better than the baker’s yeast, at least in the nose. It starts off raw and pungent with minty with methanol qualities that are very loud. Decayed leaves. Barnyard funk. Grass. Hay. Pine needles. Melon. Juniper. Apple vinegar. There is so much going on here, it is very complex and, frankly, overwhelming. The potency is high. The combination of smells is scary. This beer is some hardcore shit. I can’t call the nose inviting. I fear this beer and I’m not ashamed to say that. The aromas are so far advanced over anything that ever came out of Belgium. Think of the funkiest, tartest Lambic you’ve ever smelled, Lammin Sahtia outshines it, hands down. However the bouquet, in the whole, is not put together all that well. The palate is an odd mix of flavors, just like the nose. The acidity is massive and it reaches the belly and starts churning away. Upfront is plenty of sweetness but the puckering tartness, raw juniper twigs, and leaves, decaying fruit/grass/hay, overwhelm this by the middle. Overripe melons. Mint at the finish, methanol and sour cherry candy. And then comes some red apples and cider vinegar with a kiss of citrus at the very end of the sip. The aftertaste is tart and warm with hints of orange peel and horse blanket. If you have grown tired of Lambic and you find even the most adventurous Belgian creates tame now, you must drink this beer. It will blow your mind. I can’t solve this beer; it is like staring at a MC Escher drawing. I take a sip and think about it. I detect more feelings that flavors, maybe I can recognize the feelings easier. After I swallow my throat becomes raw and I feel like I have the onset of heartburn. My mouth feels sweet like I was sucking on cheap fruit candy but sour like I had a Sweet Tart. There is acidy like really raw lemonade. And then there are all the organic flavors that baffle my brain because they don’t belong, in anyway, to the previously mentioned categories. I’m worn out. Medium in body, moderate carbonation, but at no point does that negate any aspect of the mouthfeel (or help either), if fact the mouthfeel seems very sturdy. At this point of my review I like to add a food pairing… not for this review. I can’t think of anything that could hang with this beer. Funky cheese? Maybe. I didn’t find this beer to be drinkable. I respect it thoroughly. I loved Lammin Kataja Olut and I would drink that again in a heartbeat. I can’t say the same for this Sahti. Maybe I’m not worthy. Maybe I need to try this beer again. I don’t know if I’m that brave. I purchased this bottle (from a cooler) in Iowa City, IA. It is worth a try, for the novelty of it.

3.88/5  rDev +14.1%

My first of the style. I was told great lengths were engaged to keep this cold in transit as it goes bad quickly. Guess i have to drink it right away. An interesting look. Like an orangish ice tea. Some bubbles on the top. Quite cloudy. Smell is sweet and bubble gum like with a hefe like wheatiness. Taste is much like a flat hefe with a thicker feel. Banana and clove with a wheaty twang and more bubble gum. Some alcohol as well. There is a light tingly carbonation as it sits on your tongue. Still this has a somewhat syrupy feel to it. Goes down pretty nicely on a cold winter night. Not bad. Not what you think when you hear beer but not bad at all.

3.38/5  rDev -0.6%

Sahtia pours a hazy brown or rust color without any head. Its pungent herbal aroma of pine resin and smoke tickles the nostrils immediately. The taste has a funkiness to it, and to some this drink may seem flat as it lacks carbonation.

Pepper, juniper, and what I can only describe as pitch dance across your taste buds in the finish, while a pleasant tartness clings to the roof of your mouth long after you've drained your last swig of this rustic brew. A good example of a unique style.

3.35/5  rDev -1.5%

Fresh as an import can be, a case just arrived and it was chilled. I was looking forward to a fresh example of this ancient ale style, as the Kataja Olut i've had was pretty terrible.

It poured a tawny, murky orange tea-like color, with a string of pearls along the edge, resembling "juice bubbles" and not actual carbonation from below. Almost looked like a flat Hefeweizen. Aroma of bubblegum, candy, mildly herbal or medicinal.

Artificial pink bubblegum, Bazooka Joe (thx Joe), saccharine sweetness, dry and wheaty. Not getting any Juniper really, which was disappointing. Fairly full bodied despite the lack of carbonation. This bottle was shared, and even then no one wanted to finish off the bottle.

For $6 it was a bit of a novelty and a letdown.

3.7/5  rDev +8.8%

Given as a gift (thanks Matt) poured into a tulip glass.

A- Cloudy amber. Flat with no head.

S-Gingerbread and rye. No hop aroma. Some bubblegum. Nice

T-Really interesting. Rye, Maybe a bit appley. No bitterness. Maybe a bit sweet.

M- Medium bodied. No carbonation. Can't find the 7.5%alcohol. Carbonation would help this beer a bit.

D-The lack of carbonation takes away from what is a really interesting beer. fun to try.

3.75/5  rDev +10.3%

What a very compelling beer this is. Ever since I heard of it in a past BA article as well as hearing that it was available in my area, I've almost been scared to try it. Not only because of the expected funkiness of the brew, but because of the delicate nature of the beer, which evidently must be kept cold at all times. It seems to have withstood the voyage from Finland to Iowa quite well, as well as an undetermined amount of time on the shelf in the deepest and darkest corner of the beer room of John's Grocery.

The appearance is quite different from any beer I've ever seen. It looks like fresh squeezed apple cider, just like Grandma used to make. Even the head has the same consistency as cider.

The smell is barnyard funky like a belgian saison. Saison Dupont, in particular, smells almost exactly like this, though this beer has a definite fruity edge over the Dupont.

The taste... after burying my nose in the beer for quite a while enjoying the finnish barnyard funk, I was expecting something quite similar to a saison with a light blend of a lambic; but holy shit! Instant pucker from the sour lambic berry taste. Tastes like a REAL funky lambic, as opposed to something such as Lindeman's Framboise. I haven't quite pinned down the exact fruitiness of the flavor, but it taste like possibly juniper and apricot. As it starts to warm up a bit, an acidic lemony zest seizes you tastebuds. It's quite a good taste, but the sourness and moldy funkiness is a bit off-putting at the same time. It is tough to say one way or the other whether I like it or not. I have drawn a complete blank as to how to score the taste of this beer number-wise. It is definitely not "average," it is "excellent," but at the same time, the funkiness is quite distracting me from enjoyment of the excellency.

...and as such, I rated the mouthfeel and drinkability quite low. The mouthfeel is, as I mentioned earlier, puckery sour. It finishes mildly dry, but the alcohol is not detected, nor is a noticable hop bite (I don't know if this style of beer even uses hops, as a matter of fact). I will probably try to seek this stuff out fresh if I'm ever in Finland, but if not I'll probably have to pass. I am very glad that I was able to endure this fearsome beer, however. It definitely worthy of seeking out for you lambic heads and otherwise exotic beer connoisseurs.

3.05/5  rDev -10.3%

Picked up as a curiosity purchase from the CBX.

A - Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Pours hazy orange with some floaters bobbing about. Very still. No bubbles, no head.

S - Cider vinegar, herbs - menthol and wintergreen, juniper.

T - Herbal, faintly medicinal, mildly sour berry finish, ends with a fairly pleasant aftertaste.

M - Flat, uninteresting, a little oily.

1.25/5  rDev -63.2%

A- Poured from the bottle as an uncarbonated cloudy medium-amber color. No head. No lacing. A flat cloudy mess.

S- Smells of cooked vegetables and earth. Pungent, with none of the anticipated juniper, rye or straw aromas.

T- Tastes like cooked lentils, rotten vegetables along with some lactic sourness. The sourness is sustained in the finish.

M- A big thick body... and at first glance this could be a good thing... but this had the consistency of mucous.

D- All-around undrinkable. I consumed just enough to conduct this review. The rest was a drain-pour.

NOTE: Someone mentioned a freshness date in their recent review... I was not aware of such a thing, and unfortunately, my bottle was promptly disposed of at the bar where it was served... but I must assume that the beer I sampled was far-beyond the recommended freshness date.

3.1/5  rDev -8.8%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had an amber color and a cloudy consistency. No head or lacing at all.

S: Aroma of malt, berries and a slightly acidic quality. An oddly sweet smell.

T: Had a very pronounced acidic character, along with yeast, berries, grassiness, and malt in the finish. Taste was very thin and lacking. Could have better.

M: Not a whole lot of carbonation (this is evident the second you open the bottle), with a slick, oily finish. Medium-bodied, with a grainy finish.

D: Not the most drinkable Sahti ever. Lacking in most departments.

4.25/5  rDev +25%

3.7/5  rDev +8.8%

On cask at the One Pint Pub. This is a 2 day old cask straight from the Lammin brewery. This beer pours a murky brown with almost no carbonation whatsoever. The owner of the bar (and one of the brewers of the beer) explained that traditional Sahti should have almost no carbonation. The aroma contains quite a bit of banana, caramel and just a slight bit of juniper berries. Also just a tiny tartness is starting to come through on the backside of the aroma. The flavor is a banana bomb. Wow, I always thought that juniper should take the first seat but in this, it’s definitely banana. Juniper comes through with a bit of caramel. The tartness is a bit more pronounced then in the aroma. For as much emphasis as the brewer put in telling me that it is fermented with bakers yeast and not brewers yeast, I really don’t taste that much of a difference. Overall it’s a bit to much banana for me. I wish the juniper was a bit more pronounced but it really is a experience to drink 2 day old cask Sahti

4.2/5  rDev +23.5%

Burned orange color. Viscous pour and no foam -- just bubbles on the rim and starry prickles of light on the surface.
The aromas are very intense and savory. Crusty rye bread, scorched orange pulp, juniper, pine sap, candied papaya and mint.
Peppery, woody tannins don't quite offset the surge of sweet, juicy fruit. Flavors I associate with reduction -- cherry pits, bandaids -- lurk behind the steep, juicyfruit and spicy character.
Think of spiced wine made from orange juice.

This beer displays many qualities of Bavarian Hefeweizens such as Schneider or Weihenstephaner, only the colossal gravity and weight combined with the aromatics of pine forest put an end to further such comparisons. One might also find Berliner Weisse-like flavors in this drink : tangy acidity, burnt lime seeds. The latter shares the unboiled wort process of Sahti. Perhaps some wild yeast strains have set up a colony in both liquids.

I can only guess how thrilling this would be with thin slices of moist, vollkorn rye bread, fermented seafood and beets.

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

2.85/5  rDev -16.2%

Another Sahti in Helsinki poured from a jug in the back of the bar. Entered as a cask serving unless this can be verified. Had this one at Villi Waino in Helsinki. From notes.

A - Hazy dark brown pour. No visible carbonation and a ring of bubbles on the top. No retention obviously since there was no head.

S - Woody with berries and forest aromas. Medicinal and earthy. I also get a sort of hospital sanitation aroma. I always think Sahti smells very interesting and inviting as well as completely authentic.

T - Quite mild. All the same elements as the aroma with berries, woods, medicinal notes, and earthiness. A bit of a sour finish and more berries. All those elements were present, but in a tame form.

M - Light to medium body leaning towards lighter end. Feels a little light, almost watery. Painful lingering medicinal sweetness in the finish.

O/D - Not a great one by any means. Mouthfeel is weird and too light. Seems like it should be a little syrupy but it comes as watery. Taste is too mild IMO. Wouldn't seek it out at all and probably not a good example of the style.

4.1/5  rDev +20.6%

Pours a murky brown-orange with absolutely no head of any sort. Somewhat gelly-like in texture...as viscous as some imperial stouts. Orange candies, cider vinegar, lemon, and wet heaps of wheat and rye.

Incredibly phenolic, sour, sweet, and fruity -- all rolled into one. There's a play between woody, almost lactic, sourness and a ripe tangerine sweetness, and there's a lemon wheat flavor to this as well as more than just a slight acidity.

And as I guess I was anticipating, I perceive no meaningful/noticeable hops in here.

Despite that, I'm struck by how wildly different this is than I was expecting. You read and hear about about the juniper in some of these beers, and I believe there's some hints of fresh aromatic greens -- cedar, mint, juniper, etc -- in the aroma, but it's an undertone, not the dominant factor.

Apparently, sahtis are very much a family artisanal food tradition and can vary greatly from brewer to brewer. I have to imagine that this is on the intensely sinful side of that.

I'm glad I bought two bottles. This confused the living hell out of me. Interesting, ponderous stuff.

4.2/5  rDev +23.5%

The beer opened with a wisp of carbonation and then poured with carbonation, a welcomed surprize. The beer was cloudy and chunky with an amber golden color. The head was white while it lasted but dissappeared before I could start taking noted on the color.

The aroma was fruity and salty, yep, salty. The aroma reminded me of horseradish like is found in cocktail sauce. The horseradish aromatic was both interesting and strangely enticing.

The flavor was sour, but not overly so. The sourness was like the lactic acid and acetic acid you would find in homemade pickles. The flavor was also salty. Very interesting and a bit odd, but with the horseradish aromatic and a slight sourness and also a light peppery spice it was very similar to eating off a buffett, a myriad of aromas and flavors.

The finish was dry with a very slight and pleasant sour pickle into the finish. The body was medium or just below. A very, very interesting beer...err...Sahti. I'd have this one again!

11.2 ounce bottle. Thanks MABZ!!!

11.2oz brown bottle. No freshness date.
I gently rolled this bottle over and over to dislodge and blend the solid mound of yeast at the bottom of the bottle.
It pours a very cloudy yellowish amber color with a smallish off-white head and bits of yeasty goodness floating about.
Upon opening, I was instantly hit with the smell of fresh cut red oak, with a nice birch-like smell in the background. A light smell of vinegar cider and cut hay come to mind.
The malt body provides a very dry grain and husk taste. The juniper branch has a tart and slightly astringent, edgy bitterness to it.
Tastes of vinegar cider and wild yeasty flavor slide through and last throughout the glass. A very faint smoky taste comes and goes.
This brew has an interesting lemony and metallic tang.
Unusual and different. It gets better as it warms.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »