Lammin Sahtia - Lammin Sahti Oy

Lammin SahtiaLammin Sahtia

Lammin Sahti Oy visit their website
Finland

Sahti |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 11-10-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lammin Sahtia Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
LilBeerDoctor

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

Reviewed on 12/31/2009. Bottle from Ginger Man. Pours a brown/amber with no head. Aroma is stewy with chestnut, pepper spices, and sweet apple. Flavor of lots of spices and some light fruits in the background. Rather quaffable. I rather enjoyed my first authentic sahti.

12-23-2010 16:50:28 | More by LilBeerDoctor
HeyItsChili

China

3.05/5  rDev -10.3%

Picked up as a curiosity purchase from the CBX.

A - Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Pours hazy orange with some floaters bobbing about. Very still. No bubbles, no head.

S - Cider vinegar, herbs - menthol and wintergreen, juniper.

T - Herbal, faintly medicinal, mildly sour berry finish, ends with a fairly pleasant aftertaste.

M - Flat, uninteresting, a little oily.

02-16-2010 23:53:11 | More by HeyItsChili
avalon07

South Carolina

3.1/5  rDev -8.8%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had an amber color and a cloudy consistency. No head or lacing at all.

S: Aroma of malt, berries and a slightly acidic quality. An oddly sweet smell.

T: Had a very pronounced acidic character, along with yeast, berries, grassiness, and malt in the finish. Taste was very thin and lacking. Could have better.

M: Not a whole lot of carbonation (this is evident the second you open the bottle), with a slick, oily finish. Medium-bodied, with a grainy finish.

D: Not the most drinkable Sahti ever. Lacking in most departments.

02-09-2010 13:17:26 | More by avalon07
jgasparine

Maryland

1.25/5  rDev -63.2%

A- Poured from the bottle as an uncarbonated cloudy medium-amber color. No head. No lacing. A flat cloudy mess.

S- Smells of cooked vegetables and earth. Pungent, with none of the anticipated juniper, rye or straw aromas.

T- Tastes like cooked lentils, rotten vegetables along with some lactic sourness. The sourness is sustained in the finish.

M- A big thick body... and at first glance this could be a good thing... but this had the consistency of mucous.

D- All-around undrinkable. I consumed just enough to conduct this review. The rest was a drain-pour.

NOTE: Someone mentioned a freshness date in their recent review... I was not aware of such a thing, and unfortunately, my bottle was promptly disposed of at the bar where it was served... but I must assume that the beer I sampled was far-beyond the recommended freshness date.

02-03-2010 03:07:11 | More by jgasparine
glid02

Georgia

3.75/5  rDev +10.3%

Bottle shared by jophish17 - thanks! He noted this was purchased from CBX in Charleston and was under the two week freshness period.

Pours a nice and dark orange-copper color with a wispy layer of bubbles that quickly dissipates into a thin ring around the glass. No lacing.

Smells of deep malts with light caramel undertones. Also present are loads of earthy aromas - some twanginess from juniper along with other aromas best described as "woodsy".

Tastes similar to how it smells. Muted malt flavors are joined quickly by "woodsy" flavors. Juniper and light spices all bound together with earthy undertones. The ending is mildly bitter and leaves juniper flavors lingering on the palate.

Mouthfeel is good. It has a nice thickness with soft yet ample carbonation.

Drinkability is alright. I finished my glass however I'm not sure about another.

Overall this is probably the most authentic sahti I've had (the other being Nogne O's interpretation). It's certainly not a bad beer but it's an obscure style for a reason. Worth a shot for the curious.

02-01-2010 20:51:13 | More by glid02
Keene

3.38/5  rDev -0.6%

Sahtia pours a hazy brown or rust color without any head. Its pungent herbal aroma of pine resin and smoke tickles the nostrils immediately. The taste has a funkiness to it, and to some this drink may seem flat as it lacks carbonation.

Pepper, juniper, and what I can only describe as pitch dance across your taste buds in the finish, while a pleasant tartness clings to the roof of your mouth long after you've drained your last swig of this rustic brew. A good example of a unique style.

01-29-2010 17:42:30 | More by Keene
organicbrewer

3.7/5  rDev +8.8%

Given as a gift (thanks Matt) poured into a tulip glass.

A- Cloudy amber. Flat with no head.

S-Gingerbread and rye. No hop aroma. Some bubblegum. Nice

T-Really interesting. Rye, Maybe a bit appley. No bitterness. Maybe a bit sweet.

M- Medium bodied. No carbonation. Can't find the 7.5%alcohol. Carbonation would help this beer a bit.

D-The lack of carbonation takes away from what is a really interesting beer. fun to try.

01-14-2010 00:27:26 | More by organicbrewer
Billolick

3.48/5  rDev +2.4%

11.2 ounce bottle, $4.99 @ DeCicco's in Ardsley NY, they said this only has a shelf life of about 2 weeks and they had received it just a few days ago. Pours murky, darker brown, next to no head, no lace. No carbonation, no bubbles, no nothing. Interesting nose with notes of spruce, mint, bubble gum and white wine. In the mouth the lack of carbonation is quite evident, notes of jam, more spruce, mint, white wine and bubblegum. A distinct sour notes come through loud and clear as it warms up a bit in the glass. Quite dry in the long finish. Interesting to try but I highly doubt I would reach for this one again.

01-01-2010 00:50:55 | More by Billolick
scootny

3.88/5  rDev +14.1%

My first of the style. I was told great lengths were engaged to keep this cold in transit as it goes bad quickly. Guess i have to drink it right away. An interesting look. Like an orangish ice tea. Some bubbles on the top. Quite cloudy. Smell is sweet and bubble gum like with a hefe like wheatiness. Taste is much like a flat hefe with a thicker feel. Banana and clove with a wheaty twang and more bubble gum. Some alcohol as well. There is a light tingly carbonation as it sits on your tongue. Still this has a somewhat syrupy feel to it. Goes down pretty nicely on a cold winter night. Not bad. Not what you think when you hear beer but not bad at all.

12-23-2009 02:19:40 | More by scootny
emerge077

3.35/5  rDev -1.5%

Fresh as an import can be, a case just arrived and it was chilled. I was looking forward to a fresh example of this ancient ale style, as the Kataja Olut i've had was pretty terrible.

It poured a tawny, murky orange tea-like color, with a string of pearls along the edge, resembling "juice bubbles" and not actual carbonation from below. Almost looked like a flat Hefeweizen. Aroma of bubblegum, candy, mildly herbal or medicinal.

Artificial pink bubblegum, Bazooka Joe (thx Joe), saccharine sweetness, dry and wheaty. Not getting any Juniper really, which was disappointing. Fairly full bodied despite the lack of carbonation. This bottle was shared, and even then no one wanted to finish off the bottle.

For $6 it was a bit of a novelty and a letdown.

12-21-2009 17:27:07 | More by emerge077
francisweizen

Alaska

3.3/5  rDev -2.9%

Dark ruddy, muddy, orange brown. No head to speak of. Looks like darty swamp water in the glass. big ginberry junipero in the aroma. Juniper and spiciness, berries, and almost a suica like alcohol presence. Tasteis similar a bit hot, refreshing, cool, and unique. Twigs, berries, and other interesting flavor hints are there. Mouthfeel is a bit muddled and drinkabilityis decent, but I would not have this style consistently.

09-25-2008 21:44:46 | More by francisweizen
Midfielder

Finland

4.22/5  rDev +24.1%

Finnish lesson: Lammin Sahti means Sahti of Lammi.

Lammi is a small village more than 100 kilometers north from Helsinki. The producer of one the most recognized sahtis in Finland is the Kääriäinen family. They produce beer and cider too.

Lammin Sahti is not the darkest nor the strongest. It is orangy/yellow and hazy. When fresh it is well balanced. Aroma is a beautiful combination of rye, juniper and bananas. I really hope you guys in the U.S. could sample a fresh bottle. (It can be tart but there shouldn't be any tones of vinegar).

Mouthfeel is quite syrupy. It is very fruity sahti with some traces of bakers yeast. Finish is bit cloying. Still it makes you want to have another sip.

05-28-2006 14:31:48 | More by Midfielder
GCBrewingCo

4.2/5  rDev +23.5%

The beer opened with a wisp of carbonation and then poured with carbonation, a welcomed surprize. The beer was cloudy and chunky with an amber golden color. The head was white while it lasted but dissappeared before I could start taking noted on the color.

The aroma was fruity and salty, yep, salty. The aroma reminded me of horseradish like is found in cocktail sauce. The horseradish aromatic was both interesting and strangely enticing.

The flavor was sour, but not overly so. The sourness was like the lactic acid and acetic acid you would find in homemade pickles. The flavor was also salty. Very interesting and a bit odd, but with the horseradish aromatic and a slight sourness and also a light peppery spice it was very similar to eating off a buffett, a myriad of aromas and flavors.

The finish was dry with a very slight and pleasant sour pickle into the finish. The body was medium or just below. A very, very interesting beer...err...Sahti. I'd have this one again!

11.2 ounce bottle. Thanks MABZ!!!

07-28-2005 22:57:19 | More by GCBrewingCo
neonbrown82

Nebraska

3.75/5  rDev +10.3%

What a very compelling beer this is. Ever since I heard of it in a past BA article as well as hearing that it was available in my area, I've almost been scared to try it. Not only because of the expected funkiness of the brew, but because of the delicate nature of the beer, which evidently must be kept cold at all times. It seems to have withstood the voyage from Finland to Iowa quite well, as well as an undetermined amount of time on the shelf in the deepest and darkest corner of the beer room of John's Grocery.

The appearance is quite different from any beer I've ever seen. It looks like fresh squeezed apple cider, just like Grandma used to make. Even the head has the same consistency as cider.

The smell is barnyard funky like a belgian saison. Saison Dupont, in particular, smells almost exactly like this, though this beer has a definite fruity edge over the Dupont.

The taste... after burying my nose in the beer for quite a while enjoying the finnish barnyard funk, I was expecting something quite similar to a saison with a light blend of a lambic; but holy shit! Instant pucker from the sour lambic berry taste. Tastes like a REAL funky lambic, as opposed to something such as Lindeman's Framboise. I haven't quite pinned down the exact fruitiness of the flavor, but it taste like possibly juniper and apricot. As it starts to warm up a bit, an acidic lemony zest seizes you tastebuds. It's quite a good taste, but the sourness and moldy funkiness is a bit off-putting at the same time. It is tough to say one way or the other whether I like it or not. I have drawn a complete blank as to how to score the taste of this beer number-wise. It is definitely not "average," it is "excellent," but at the same time, the funkiness is quite distracting me from enjoyment of the excellency.

...and as such, I rated the mouthfeel and drinkability quite low. The mouthfeel is, as I mentioned earlier, puckery sour. It finishes mildly dry, but the alcohol is not detected, nor is a noticable hop bite (I don't know if this style of beer even uses hops, as a matter of fact). I will probably try to seek this stuff out fresh if I'm ever in Finland, but if not I'll probably have to pass. I am very glad that I was able to endure this fearsome beer, however. It definitely worthy of seeking out for you lambic heads and otherwise exotic beer connoisseurs.

07-11-2005 06:23:30 | More by neonbrown82
Higravity

3.15/5  rDev -7.4%

I have to be honest, I would love to get my hands on this beer fresh as hell. As it was I recieved this from Mentor who tried it in Feb so who knows how old this really is now. That being said underneath all of the funk is a beer that had fresh I am sure it a thing to behold. The color on it is like store bought Ice Tea mixed with a little OJ, no head or lacing and hazy as hell with lots of yeast sediment. It smelled of citrus funk. My first taste was like biting into a fresh pinnaple, it hurt and then smoothed out. I drank this beer slowly and as it got warmer more flavors evolved. I could taste the pineyness mixed with some spice that I have gotten to know as rye, the citrus flavor is like lime and pinnapple and a little tangerine, the funk is all over this beer. It has a solid body despite all the funk and is not overly carbonated. Cold and fresh is probably the way to drink this beer. If I had this not knowing what I was drinking I could be in a world of taste bud hurt.

05-26-2005 13:09:38 | More by Higravity
bditty187

Nebraska

3.08/5  rDev -9.4%

Hazy, coppery tawny-gold in hue, the liquid has a lovely tint to it. The head was white and active; at the apex the foam reached a short-lived half finger in height. In a loud moment the head faded to a fairly thick, bubbly collar. Animation was passing which might help explain the head development or lack thereof. The subsequent lacing was very spotty; I can count the residue clumps on one hand. Overall the appearance is admirable. The nose is amazingly rustic. Lammin Kataja Olut smelled nothing like this, I liked the ale yeast better than the baker’s yeast, at least in the nose. It starts off raw and pungent with minty with methanol qualities that are very loud. Decayed leaves. Barnyard funk. Grass. Hay. Pine needles. Melon. Juniper. Apple vinegar. There is so much going on here, it is very complex and, frankly, overwhelming. The potency is high. The combination of smells is scary. This beer is some hardcore shit. I can’t call the nose inviting. I fear this beer and I’m not ashamed to say that. The aromas are so far advanced over anything that ever came out of Belgium. Think of the funkiest, tartest Lambic you’ve ever smelled, Lammin Sahtia outshines it, hands down. However the bouquet, in the whole, is not put together all that well. The palate is an odd mix of flavors, just like the nose. The acidity is massive and it reaches the belly and starts churning away. Upfront is plenty of sweetness but the puckering tartness, raw juniper twigs, and leaves, decaying fruit/grass/hay, overwhelm this by the middle. Overripe melons. Mint at the finish, methanol and sour cherry candy. And then comes some red apples and cider vinegar with a kiss of citrus at the very end of the sip. The aftertaste is tart and warm with hints of orange peel and horse blanket. If you have grown tired of Lambic and you find even the most adventurous Belgian creates tame now, you must drink this beer. It will blow your mind. I can’t solve this beer; it is like staring at a MC Escher drawing. I take a sip and think about it. I detect more feelings that flavors, maybe I can recognize the feelings easier. After I swallow my throat becomes raw and I feel like I have the onset of heartburn. My mouth feels sweet like I was sucking on cheap fruit candy but sour like I had a Sweet Tart. There is acidy like really raw lemonade. And then there are all the organic flavors that baffle my brain because they don’t belong, in anyway, to the previously mentioned categories. I’m worn out. Medium in body, moderate carbonation, but at no point does that negate any aspect of the mouthfeel (or help either), if fact the mouthfeel seems very sturdy. At this point of my review I like to add a food pairing… not for this review. I can’t think of anything that could hang with this beer. Funky cheese? Maybe. I didn’t find this beer to be drinkable. I respect it thoroughly. I loved Lammin Kataja Olut and I would drink that again in a heartbeat. I can’t say the same for this Sahti. Maybe I’m not worthy. Maybe I need to try this beer again. I don’t know if I’m that brave. I purchased this bottle (from a cooler) in Iowa City, IA. It is worth a try, for the novelty of it.

03-18-2005 15:05:26 | More by bditty187
BeerResearcher

11.2oz brown bottle. No freshness date.
I gently rolled this bottle over and over to dislodge and blend the solid mound of yeast at the bottom of the bottle.
It pours a very cloudy yellowish amber color with a smallish off-white head and bits of yeasty goodness floating about.
Upon opening, I was instantly hit with the smell of fresh cut red oak, with a nice birch-like smell in the background. A light smell of vinegar cider and cut hay come to mind.
The malt body provides a very dry grain and husk taste. The juniper branch has a tart and slightly astringent, edgy bitterness to it.
Tastes of vinegar cider and wild yeasty flavor slide through and last throughout the glass. A very faint smoky taste comes and goes.
This brew has an interesting lemony and metallic tang.
Unusual and different. It gets better as it warms.

03-12-2005 16:35:44 | More by BeerResearcher
mentor

Colorado

4.33/5  rDev +27.4%

11.2 oz bottle obtained from John's Grocery (Iowa City) in Feb 2005 and consumed that same evening. No freshness date, which is a concern because Sahti is suppose to be served fresh (well, that's what the BA article says). Pours thick with noticable sediment flowing into the glass. Cloudy and copper colored, in fact, it looks exactly like fresh pressed apple cider. No head formed, only a small ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass. Noticable piney, yeasty, and fruity notes eminate from the glass before I even lift it for a sniff. Smells...whoa...FUNKY. Belgian funky (like beire de garde) with citrus and apples. Some alcohol can be detected with searching. There are many many other scents in here, some of which are familiar, but which I can't put my finger on. Incredible depth in the smell...I hope the flavor holds as much character. Tastes sour tart fruity early on. This settles into a slightly less tart citric and cherry and ends with an interesting woody and pine needle character. At this point, a stable (neutral?) yeasty flavor rises up to add a new dimension below the tart and the pine. Very interesting. The aftertaste is yeasty, apples (like cider that's just beginning to harden) and faint pine. Carbonation is low, except for a strong burst of fine and acrid bubbles on the flat of my tongue as I prepare to swallow. Whoa, the sour beer and acrid carbonation make for a potent explosion. While sweet, this beer is quite dry. Later tastes, as the beer warmed, allowed the piney character to be detected earlier and the aftertaste became less pleasant. My mouth is getting tired of this beer...there is no way I can drink the other Sahti I purchased this evening. Imagine a very tart lemonade on a hot summer day. How refreshing that first cool gulp is, but how old that gets in a hurry. The mouthfeel is really thick and I felt small chunks of debris on my tongue, too. I'm glad I had the chance to try this beer and look forward to trying my other Sahti tomorrow (Kataja Olut).

03-02-2005 05:21:44 | More by mentor
Todd

Colorado

3.68/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours a very hazy, dirty peach color. Tons of sediment in the bottle. Head is vigorous and snaps down to a thin wispy lace. No head retention, but you can see the tight bubbles surface.

Aroma is quite odd, but draws you in with its unique pungent character. Plenty of pine, hints of menthol, herbal, and medicinal (clears the sinuses like a charm, slight eye watering), cooked broccoli or greens, freshly cut grass, animal feed / cage, fruity zest and must, generic bullion cube.

Extremely puckering, tart, acidic and astringent, very much like a fruit Lambic or Gueuze, but with much more depth and flavor. Lifting tight carbonation. Fruity characters bring flavors of sharp orange juice to mind, with a dominant berry tartness and skin-like tannins. Resiny sap and wood notes with a cedar edge. Background notes of cooked greens. Chalky finish.

Definitely one of the most unique beers to hit my palate, and once you get past the initial shock of something so different, it really does grow on you. And those there's Sahtis brewed outside of Finland, maybe are merely interpretations and not really Sahtis. Fantastic, but not for those without an open mind and palate.

02-21-2005 02:15:46 | More by Todd
Jason

2.8/5  rDev -17.6%

Presentation: 11.2 oz brown stubby with no freshness date,

Appearance: Nearly flat with no head at all, cloudy tawny color with chunks floating around.

Smell: Horse feed, chalk, cider vinegar and musty lemon zest.

Taste & Mouth Feel: No carbonation with a slick mouth feel. Very grassy, earthy with a hard tartness beginning to middle. Mild phenols and tart fruitiness, musty yeast and some esters. Sharp hint of juniper spikes middle to end. Finishes with a dry and earthy flavor.

Drinkability & Notes: Very lambic like, perhaps the oddest beer I have ever tasted. Not sure if I should drink it or to clean my hard wood floors with it. Obviously you have to have an acquired taste to like it ... that is something I don't have for this beer. Worth a try if you are a hardcore Lambic drinker.

02-14-2005 20:29:08 | More by Jason
proc

1.43/5  rDev -57.9%

Like Walleye in the review before me, this was purchased at Merchant's Fine Wines in Dearborn, Mi. This was one of the worst tasting beverages I have ever drank. It poured out to a brownish, amber in the glass with a decent head. The aroma was that of sourdough bread, but with a "off" characteristic. The taste was wretched. Sour beyond belief and totally undrinkable. The experience was so bad, I feel bad giving the appearance a 3.5, when the beer itself was disgusting enough to be rated 1's throughout. This must've been an off batch for whatever reason. Terrible. One of the few complete, drain pours I have had in a long time.

01-10-2005 03:24:01 | More by proc
walleye

1.9/5  rDev -44.1%

bought at merchants in dearborn, was told by the person working the beer section that the beer was going to be sent back not a good batch stupid me I bought a bottle anyway. poured copper with a white head that didn’t last long. aroma like the pickled turnips you get at a mid-eastern restaurant had a hard time getting past that, as the nose was pulled away got a hint of sweetness. flavor, not as bad as the aroma, vinegar, sourness, let this sit and warm up to see if flavor would change it didn’t

11-27-2004 05:58:13 | More by walleye
NeroFiddled

4.47/5  rDev +31.5%

Michael Jackson once wrote of sahti, that it's "the only primitive beer to survive in Western Europe", and he's right. It's generally brewed from malted barley and 5-10% dark, malted rye; mashed in long, trough-like wooden vessels; and then lautered through a filter bed made of juniper twigs. Traditionally, it's not boiled; although baker's yeast is pitched. Talk about rustic brewing! And that rustic nature is carried through into every aspect of the beer.

It's turbid, orange-ish brown body is clearly full of proteins and yeast; and it's mouthfeel reflects that. The head is limited, however, and its lacing is limited to small spots and splashes. The aroma is quite complex, possibly even more so than that of a Belgian geueze, and it's earthy due to the juniper, with notes of pine. (The juniper is often steeped in the mash water prior to brewing). It's full-bodied and smooth across the palate with an exceptionally fine-bubbled, natural carbonation that just lightly tingles the tongue. The flavor is bold and complex with notes of juniper, banana, plastic-like phenols, tartness, mustiness, rye, fruit (apricot, tangerine, lemon, unripe berry), and a sublime peppery spiciness (probably from the rye).

The Lammin Sahti is a brilliant example of the style that's a must-try (you might not like it, but you should try it). You should also note that because sahti is microbiologically alive and will not keep long once it reaches its top condition (in less than two weeks), it should be bought cold, kept cold, and consumed shortly thereafter.As they say in Finland, "Kippis!"

11-22-2004 00:26:55 | More by NeroFiddled
marburg

4.1/5  rDev +20.6%

Pours a murky brown-orange with absolutely no head of any sort. Somewhat gelly-like in texture...as viscous as some imperial stouts. Orange candies, cider vinegar, lemon, and wet heaps of wheat and rye.

Incredibly phenolic, sour, sweet, and fruity -- all rolled into one. There's a play between woody, almost lactic, sourness and a ripe tangerine sweetness, and there's a lemon wheat flavor to this as well as more than just a slight acidity.

And as I guess I was anticipating, I perceive no meaningful/noticeable hops in here.

Despite that, I'm struck by how wildly different this is than I was expecting. You read and hear about about the juniper in some of these beers, and I believe there's some hints of fresh aromatic greens -- cedar, mint, juniper, etc -- in the aroma, but it's an undertone, not the dominant factor.

Apparently, sahtis are very much a family artisanal food tradition and can vary greatly from brewer to brewer. I have to imagine that this is on the intensely sinful side of that.

I'm glad I bought two bottles. This confused the living hell out of me. Interesting, ponderous stuff.

11-16-2004 02:53:54 | More by marburg
putnam

4.2/5  rDev +23.5%

Burned orange color. Viscous pour and no foam -- just bubbles on the rim and starry prickles of light on the surface.
The aromas are very intense and savory. Crusty rye bread, scorched orange pulp, juniper, pine sap, candied papaya and mint.
Peppery, woody tannins don't quite offset the surge of sweet, juicy fruit. Flavors I associate with reduction -- cherry pits, bandaids -- lurk behind the steep, juicyfruit and spicy character.
Think of spiced wine made from orange juice.

This beer displays many qualities of Bavarian Hefeweizens such as Schneider or Weihenstephaner, only the colossal gravity and weight combined with the aromatics of pine forest put an end to further such comparisons. One might also find Berliner Weisse-like flavors in this drink : tangy acidity, burnt lime seeds. The latter shares the unboiled wort process of Sahti. Perhaps some wild yeast strains have set up a colony in both liquids.

I can only guess how thrilling this would be with thin slices of moist, vollkorn rye bread, fermented seafood and beets.

11-10-2004 21:16:49 | More by putnam