Lammin Sahtia - Lammin Sahti Oy

Lammin SahtiaLammin Sahtia

Lammin Sahti Oy visit their website
Finland

Sahti |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 11-10-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lammin Sahtia Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
3.08/5  rDev -9.4%

Hazy, coppery tawny-gold in hue, the liquid has a lovely tint to it. The head was white and active; at the apex the foam reached a short-lived half finger in height. In a loud moment the head faded to a fairly thick, bubbly collar. Animation was passing which might help explain the head development or lack thereof. The subsequent lacing was very spotty; I can count the residue clumps on one hand. Overall the appearance is admirable. The nose is amazingly rustic. Lammin Kataja Olut smelled nothing like this, I liked the ale yeast better than the baker’s yeast, at least in the nose. It starts off raw and pungent with minty with methanol qualities that are very loud. Decayed leaves. Barnyard funk. Grass. Hay. Pine needles. Melon. Juniper. Apple vinegar. There is so much going on here, it is very complex and, frankly, overwhelming. The potency is high. The combination of smells is scary. This beer is some hardcore shit. I can’t call the nose inviting. I fear this beer and I’m not ashamed to say that. The aromas are so far advanced over anything that ever came out of Belgium. Think of the funkiest, tartest Lambic you’ve ever smelled, Lammin Sahtia outshines it, hands down. However the bouquet, in the whole, is not put together all that well. The palate is an odd mix of flavors, just like the nose. The acidity is massive and it reaches the belly and starts churning away. Upfront is plenty of sweetness but the puckering tartness, raw juniper twigs, and leaves, decaying fruit/grass/hay, overwhelm this by the middle. Overripe melons. Mint at the finish, methanol and sour cherry candy. And then comes some red apples and cider vinegar with a kiss of citrus at the very end of the sip. The aftertaste is tart and warm with hints of orange peel and horse blanket. If you have grown tired of Lambic and you find even the most adventurous Belgian creates tame now, you must drink this beer. It will blow your mind. I can’t solve this beer; it is like staring at a MC Escher drawing. I take a sip and think about it. I detect more feelings that flavors, maybe I can recognize the feelings easier. After I swallow my throat becomes raw and I feel like I have the onset of heartburn. My mouth feels sweet like I was sucking on cheap fruit candy but sour like I had a Sweet Tart. There is acidy like really raw lemonade. And then there are all the organic flavors that baffle my brain because they don’t belong, in anyway, to the previously mentioned categories. I’m worn out. Medium in body, moderate carbonation, but at no point does that negate any aspect of the mouthfeel (or help either), if fact the mouthfeel seems very sturdy. At this point of my review I like to add a food pairing… not for this review. I can’t think of anything that could hang with this beer. Funky cheese? Maybe. I didn’t find this beer to be drinkable. I respect it thoroughly. I loved Lammin Kataja Olut and I would drink that again in a heartbeat. I can’t say the same for this Sahti. Maybe I’m not worthy. Maybe I need to try this beer again. I don’t know if I’m that brave. I purchased this bottle (from a cooler) in Iowa City, IA. It is worth a try, for the novelty of it.

bditty187, Mar 18, 2005

11.2oz brown bottle. No freshness date.
I gently rolled this bottle over and over to dislodge and blend the solid mound of yeast at the bottom of the bottle.
It pours a very cloudy yellowish amber color with a smallish off-white head and bits of yeasty goodness floating about.
Upon opening, I was instantly hit with the smell of fresh cut red oak, with a nice birch-like smell in the background. A light smell of vinegar cider and cut hay come to mind.
The malt body provides a very dry grain and husk taste. The juniper branch has a tart and slightly astringent, edgy bitterness to it.
Tastes of vinegar cider and wild yeasty flavor slide through and last throughout the glass. A very faint smoky taste comes and goes.
This brew has an interesting lemony and metallic tang.
Unusual and different. It gets better as it warms.

BeerResearcher, Mar 12, 2005
4.33/5  rDev +27.4%

11.2 oz bottle obtained from John's Grocery (Iowa City) in Feb 2005 and consumed that same evening. No freshness date, which is a concern because Sahti is suppose to be served fresh (well, that's what the BA article says). Pours thick with noticable sediment flowing into the glass. Cloudy and copper colored, in fact, it looks exactly like fresh pressed apple cider. No head formed, only a small ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass. Noticable piney, yeasty, and fruity notes eminate from the glass before I even lift it for a sniff. Smells...whoa...FUNKY. Belgian funky (like beire de garde) with citrus and apples. Some alcohol can be detected with searching. There are many many other scents in here, some of which are familiar, but which I can't put my finger on. Incredible depth in the smell...I hope the flavor holds as much character. Tastes sour tart fruity early on. This settles into a slightly less tart citric and cherry and ends with an interesting woody and pine needle character. At this point, a stable (neutral?) yeasty flavor rises up to add a new dimension below the tart and the pine. Very interesting. The aftertaste is yeasty, apples (like cider that's just beginning to harden) and faint pine. Carbonation is low, except for a strong burst of fine and acrid bubbles on the flat of my tongue as I prepare to swallow. Whoa, the sour beer and acrid carbonation make for a potent explosion. While sweet, this beer is quite dry. Later tastes, as the beer warmed, allowed the piney character to be detected earlier and the aftertaste became less pleasant. My mouth is getting tired of this beer...there is no way I can drink the other Sahti I purchased this evening. Imagine a very tart lemonade on a hot summer day. How refreshing that first cool gulp is, but how old that gets in a hurry. The mouthfeel is really thick and I felt small chunks of debris on my tongue, too. I'm glad I had the chance to try this beer and look forward to trying my other Sahti tomorrow (Kataja Olut).

mentor, Mar 02, 2005
3.68/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a very hazy, dirty peach color. Tons of sediment in the bottle. Head is vigorous and snaps down to a thin wispy lace. No head retention, but you can see the tight bubbles surface.

Aroma is quite odd, but draws you in with its unique pungent character. Plenty of pine, hints of menthol, herbal, and medicinal (clears the sinuses like a charm, slight eye watering), cooked broccoli or greens, freshly cut grass, animal feed / cage, fruity zest and must, generic bullion cube.

Extremely puckering, tart, acidic and astringent, very much like a fruit Lambic or Gueuze, but with much more depth and flavor. Lifting tight carbonation. Fruity characters bring flavors of sharp orange juice to mind, with a dominant berry tartness and skin-like tannins. Resiny sap and wood notes with a cedar edge. Background notes of cooked greens. Chalky finish.

Definitely one of the most unique beers to hit my palate, and once you get past the initial shock of something so different, it really does grow on you. And those there's Sahtis brewed outside of Finland, maybe are merely interpretations and not really Sahtis. Fantastic, but not for those without an open mind and palate.

Todd, Feb 21, 2005
2.8/5  rDev -17.6%

Presentation: 11.2 oz brown stubby with no freshness date,

Appearance: Nearly flat with no head at all, cloudy tawny color with chunks floating around.

Smell: Horse feed, chalk, cider vinegar and musty lemon zest.

Taste & Mouth Feel: No carbonation with a slick mouth feel. Very grassy, earthy with a hard tartness beginning to middle. Mild phenols and tart fruitiness, musty yeast and some esters. Sharp hint of juniper spikes middle to end. Finishes with a dry and earthy flavor.

Drinkability & Notes: Very lambic like, perhaps the oddest beer I have ever tasted. Not sure if I should drink it or to clean my hard wood floors with it. Obviously you have to have an acquired taste to like it ... that is something I don't have for this beer. Worth a try if you are a hardcore Lambic drinker.

Jason, Feb 14, 2005
1.43/5  rDev -57.9%

Like Walleye in the review before me, this was purchased at Merchant's Fine Wines in Dearborn, Mi. This was one of the worst tasting beverages I have ever drank. It poured out to a brownish, amber in the glass with a decent head. The aroma was that of sourdough bread, but with a "off" characteristic. The taste was wretched. Sour beyond belief and totally undrinkable. The experience was so bad, I feel bad giving the appearance a 3.5, when the beer itself was disgusting enough to be rated 1's throughout. This must've been an off batch for whatever reason. Terrible. One of the few complete, drain pours I have had in a long time.

proc, Jan 10, 2005
1.9/5  rDev -44.1%

bought at merchants in dearborn, was told by the person working the beer section that the beer was going to be sent back not a good batch stupid me I bought a bottle anyway. poured copper with a white head that didn’t last long. aroma like the pickled turnips you get at a mid-eastern restaurant had a hard time getting past that, as the nose was pulled away got a hint of sweetness. flavor, not as bad as the aroma, vinegar, sourness, let this sit and warm up to see if flavor would change it didn’t

walleye, Nov 27, 2004
4.47/5  rDev +31.5%

Michael Jackson once wrote of sahti, that it's "the only primitive beer to survive in Western Europe", and he's right. It's generally brewed from malted barley and 5-10% dark, malted rye; mashed in long, trough-like wooden vessels; and then lautered through a filter bed made of juniper twigs. Traditionally, it's not boiled; although baker's yeast is pitched. Talk about rustic brewing! And that rustic nature is carried through into every aspect of the beer.

It's turbid, orange-ish brown body is clearly full of proteins and yeast; and it's mouthfeel reflects that. The head is limited, however, and its lacing is limited to small spots and splashes. The aroma is quite complex, possibly even more so than that of a Belgian geueze, and it's earthy due to the juniper, with notes of pine. (The juniper is often steeped in the mash water prior to brewing). It's full-bodied and smooth across the palate with an exceptionally fine-bubbled, natural carbonation that just lightly tingles the tongue. The flavor is bold and complex with notes of juniper, banana, plastic-like phenols, tartness, mustiness, rye, fruit (apricot, tangerine, lemon, unripe berry), and a sublime peppery spiciness (probably from the rye).

The Lammin Sahti is a brilliant example of the style that's a must-try (you might not like it, but you should try it). You should also note that because sahti is microbiologically alive and will not keep long once it reaches its top condition (in less than two weeks), it should be bought cold, kept cold, and consumed shortly thereafter.As they say in Finland, "Kippis!"

NeroFiddled, Nov 22, 2004
4.1/5  rDev +20.6%

Pours a murky brown-orange with absolutely no head of any sort. Somewhat gelly-like in texture...as viscous as some imperial stouts. Orange candies, cider vinegar, lemon, and wet heaps of wheat and rye.

Incredibly phenolic, sour, sweet, and fruity -- all rolled into one. There's a play between woody, almost lactic, sourness and a ripe tangerine sweetness, and there's a lemon wheat flavor to this as well as more than just a slight acidity.

And as I guess I was anticipating, I perceive no meaningful/noticeable hops in here.

Despite that, I'm struck by how wildly different this is than I was expecting. You read and hear about about the juniper in some of these beers, and I believe there's some hints of fresh aromatic greens -- cedar, mint, juniper, etc -- in the aroma, but it's an undertone, not the dominant factor.

Apparently, sahtis are very much a family artisanal food tradition and can vary greatly from brewer to brewer. I have to imagine that this is on the intensely sinful side of that.

I'm glad I bought two bottles. This confused the living hell out of me. Interesting, ponderous stuff.

marburg, Nov 16, 2004
4.2/5  rDev +23.5%

Burned orange color. Viscous pour and no foam -- just bubbles on the rim and starry prickles of light on the surface.
The aromas are very intense and savory. Crusty rye bread, scorched orange pulp, juniper, pine sap, candied papaya and mint.
Peppery, woody tannins don't quite offset the surge of sweet, juicy fruit. Flavors I associate with reduction -- cherry pits, bandaids -- lurk behind the steep, juicyfruit and spicy character.
Think of spiced wine made from orange juice.

This beer displays many qualities of Bavarian Hefeweizens such as Schneider or Weihenstephaner, only the colossal gravity and weight combined with the aromatics of pine forest put an end to further such comparisons. One might also find Berliner Weisse-like flavors in this drink : tangy acidity, burnt lime seeds. The latter shares the unboiled wort process of Sahti. Perhaps some wild yeast strains have set up a colony in both liquids.

I can only guess how thrilling this would be with thin slices of moist, vollkorn rye bread, fermented seafood and beets.

putnam, Nov 10, 2004