Lammin Kataja Olut - Lammin Sahti Oy

Lammin Kataja OlutLammin Kataja Olut

Lammin Sahti Oy visit their website
Finland

Sahti |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Jason on 01-10-2005)
Reviews by wchesak:
2.63/5  rDev -19.6%

Poured into pint glass

A - dark amber color, little no head even pouring straight down the middle, no lace

S - sweet malt, bit of alcohol, pinesol like, some sort of cherry aspect

T - bit more cherry, some caramel malt, reminiscent of an old ale just thinner, dry spicy after taste

M - light side of medium bodied, much thinner than it looks or youd expect, no carbonation - reminds me of a few of my early homebrews

D - this is my first and last of this beer, after first taste I almost drain poured it, but its getting slightly better as I keep drinking it, had a DFH sahti but traded it, need to get a hold of another to try something that is better in style

2.63/5  rDev -19.6%

Poured a light copper/amber with no head to speak of looked flat to me,the aromas on the other hand have plenty of life very juicy and fruity with orange really sticking out with some "wet" grain underneath.Flat feeling in the mouth just not impressed in any way there,quite sweet the flat feel just makes it unineresting to even finish there is a little fruitiness to it but nothing can save it for me,I'll stay away from this in the future.

2.78/5  rDev -15%

First sahti I've ever tried. Maybe the last. Got this at Ebenezer's in Lovell, ME as part of my ongoing beer education. It was an amber color with virtually no head. It smelled like malty gin. Taste was sweet (fruit), juniper berries, a little malt. Not terribly exciting. I didn't want to try another, and I pretty much always want a second serving of a new (to me) beer.

3.33/5  rDev +1.8%

Presentation: 11.2 oz brown stubby with no freshness date, says on the label “Ale brewed with natural flavor (Juniper Branches)”.

Appearance: Very little carbonation, not much of a lace at all. Clear copper color, the beer was poured with care to leave the sediment in the bottle.

Smell: Musty lemons, faint hard-boiled egg and a steely aroma. Canned mandarin oranges?

Taste & Mouth Feel: Wow … canned mandarin oranges on the palate. Carbonation is next to nothing with a moderate body. Pretty damn tart from the get go, mildly lambic-like. Walnut skins. Musty … nearly chalky with a drying tartness, lemony with a sharpness of the juniper riding it back.

Drinkability & Notes: Weird … I sort of like the flavor, it has grown on me after several sips. If the carbonation had a nice sharp spike of crispness to it I’d probably love it.

(Served in a Nonic)

A- This beer has a deep dark copper body that is hazy with a swirl of thin foam that is gone before the first sip. There is a gentle carbonation that slowly glides to the surface.

S- This beer smells of cider with a note of dry caramel malt in the background.

T- The soft malty sweetness has a definite cider quality to it with a tap water taste. There is a faint cardboard/woody quality and a soft caramel sweetness in the finish. As the beer warms there is a faint note of pine hops that comes through.

M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel with a flat texture to it and no alcohol heat.

D- This beer has lots of flat qualities to it that I can't tell if it is old or just bland. The cider was a bit odd but added an interesting touch if only there were other flavors to it.

3.55/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Couldn't pass up grabbing one of these quasi-stubbies while in Buffalo last week, and the moose-rack Viking helmet on the label is fairly amusing. Sahti from Finland proper, made with juniper, eh? Gin isn't exactly my favourite tipple, so, well, here goes...

This beer pours a cloudy orangish-brown colour, with virtually no head, just a few sparse bubbles on the surface. It smells of mildly sweet caramel malt and warm, boozy grape juice. The taste is tart, bitter, woody, herbal, and sweet. The individual flavours are just that - quite standalone, not really resonating, or blending into a whole. The carbonation is fairly mild, the body moderately weighty, and it finishes dry, with some herbal, woody essences. The elevated alcohol isn't really noticeable.

An interesting beverage, to be sure - definitely old-school, with the forest floor flavourings replacing those of the hops. Glad I got to try it, but just the one is good.

Kataja

Thanks to hwwty4 for this 1.
(My second Sahti.)

A- Hazy brownish orange with no head and no fizz when opened.
S- Juniper berries, mint leaves, herbal cough drops.
T- Sugary herbal tea. Nice weird flavors like a ricolah cough drop. Juniper, eucalypus, and mint come to mind.
M- Verylight and sugary up front, herbal leafy flavors make this flowery and minty in the end.

Overall- Different, but drinkable. Not as good as Otter Creek's Sahti. This 1 definitely remined me of a ricolah cough drop.
(Thanks Bill!)

3.6/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I'm told that this is a variation on their regular Sahti (and that term is clearly printed on the label). No more information is available on their website, as this isn't even listed there.

Pours a murk-laden toasted golden with an intial eggy bubble or two. All carbonation is gone after a few moments.
Ripe with raspberry yogurt, lemon juice, and brine-cured cheese on the nose. A backing caramel-nut bread provides foundation.
Begins doughy, but is immediately slashed with a pink lemonade sweettartness. A bit nutty at the turn, then ceded wholly to lemon, but more tea-like now. Juniper branches lends a rotting berry sourness. Traces of cilantro leafiness. It rides out like a piece of leather cured in oak, pickling brine and lemon-juice-spiked tea. Medium bodied, feeling brawnier with it's lack of carbonation.
My only reference point would be to compare this to an Oud Bruin/Witbier cross.
I wasn't sure what to expect, and I'm not sure what I actually got.
Subjectively, it is certainly interesting, but objectively nearly impossible to score due to lack of experience.

3.08/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a reddish brown with a short-lasting fizzy head. Herbal and spice medicinal aroma Medium cherryish sticky medicine herbal like. Little carbonation. Mildly tarty and Sweetish residue aftertaste.Dry, warm, warming. In a word, cough medicine. A pint is too much.

4.5/5  rDev +37.6%

Lammin's Kataja Olut is malty sweet and tart with clear notes of juniper, but not too much.

It pours a golden amber with very little head (which is expected for the style). In the nose it's delicately fruity, with notes that are hard to define (tart berry, citrus), and a bit earthy/musty. It's medium-full bodied, dextrinous, and quite smooth across the palate with a very mild caress on the tongue. The maltiness is sweet and somewhat caramelish; off-set by some hard to describe juniper branch flavors (spruce tips?, musty leather) and delicate fruitiness (tart red berries, lemon). There's no noticeable bitterness, but it's tart edge balances it well enough.

Since Sahti is a live product, it will change quickly. Fresh examples are sweet and not tart at all, but bottles that have been around for a while can become quite sour. This is a very good example of the style.

4.3/5  rDev +31.5%

Muddy/cloudy body-- no head. A higher pour yields a bit of foam. I like my beers cloudy, but this still is not pretty.

Nose is quite neat (reminds me of vintage Aventinus), some banana ester and some caramel that's hard to pin down.

Taste is interesting and quite complex, tart and earthy. Faintest coffee (or very dark chocolate) aftertaste. Body is chewy with some caramel, dark, with a bit of malt and wheat and a trace of juniper.

Mouthfeel is critical; this almost comes across as watery (especially with no head retention or lacing whatsoever), but a hint of carbonation to even out the body.

Overall this is super-neat. It's kind of a sipping beer, and as a sahti, this is different than what a lot of beer drinkers would expect. Not as off the wall in terms of sourness as a Flemish beer, but definitely exciting and worth a try.

2.88/5  rDev -11.9%

Thick haze and light chunks of sediment heavily could its reddish brown appearance. Kataja Olut appears to be barely carbonated, if at all. There's a distinct lack of bubbles. A forceful pour yielded absolutely no head. Retention and lacing can't be discussed. I like the color, but it underperforms otherwise.

Speaking of underperforming, the nose is very weak. There's some light spicy-like notes that presume are the result of juniper twigs. It's not a bad smell at all, just way too weak. Overall it has a very earthy vibe. Perhaps smells slightly grainy. A little malt sweetness is noted. Alcohol is faint, but is noticeable. Could've been good with more strength, but as it is it's below average.

The flavor profile is not at all bad, but is crippled by the absence of bubbles. This could've been good stuff dammit. It's malty and sweet up front. There's a slight sour aspect to it that's surprising. But, it's a nice addition. It's very earthy and features some faint spicy notes. They're not prominent enough to identify. Perhaps it's just the juniper twig shining through. If more bubbles were present, I think I might like this. Alcohol isn't noticeable at all in flavor. Finishes sweet and juniper-y.

Its body is medium and has a smooth texture. But, damned if it's appeasing. This needs some bubbles badly. Drinkability is average at best. I don't really mind the flavor that much. But, undercarbonation has a severe detrimental impact. The fact that it's even hovering around average is amazing given that glaring problem. I'm good with a bottle, but am looking forward to moving on.

Kataja Olut is very interesting. It's not exactly what I was expecting. I honestly believe I'd like this beer with more bubbles. The earthy, juniper flavor has promise. Ultimately, the lack of carbonation is just too big of a problem for it to overcome. I'd be very interested in giving another Sahti a try though. It is unique and is very much worth checking out.

3.2/5  rDev -2.1%

I love the red and white label here. Call me a sucker for marketing, but I feel like I'm getting something brewed out of a large wooden, snow-covered barn.

The beer itself pours a hazy orange with a mellow malt and juniper aroma. The taste doesn't change much, but a slight tang reminds me of a strong Euro lager. Basically this is a simple beer, a bit of a novelty, but worth trying if like in my case, it's the only sahti you have access to.

An immediate hit of malt and rye as you smell it and then a juniper-licorice undertone joins it on your tongue, followed by a briney milkiness, finishing with a sweet, satisfying medium heaviness reminiscent of a dry porter. Even further out, your tongue is left tasting like you ate some black licorice, but ate a pretzel and drank a Belgian ale before-hand.

If you are like me and really like hops in the bitterness and the aroma of beer, this one may take a little time. I might have warmed up to it so easily because I grew up with the savory tones of rye and licorice in a lot of the stuff I ate.

I got this 12 oz. bottle at Sam's Liquors in Chicago. It wasn't refrigerated, but it wasn't sour in the least. I imagine this sahti was pastuerized or preserved in some way.

So, this is not exactly like the sahti my great grandmother brewed, but it sure reminds me of it. I was only 7 or so when I had it, so my memory will be skewed. She stopped brewing it when there weren't many to drink it, because it would go sour after a day or so. In lieu of sahti, she liked Old Style. She lived to be 93. She kicked some serious ass.

Grandma Salo's sahti was not as clear, and had a more substantial mouthfeel, and was not as sweet. She made her stuff in the U.P. of Michigan, so it wasn't a "Finnish" sahti.

So, to sum it up, if you can find this, buy a few bottles and try it a few times. If it's not sour, it's worth it.

(ps- she brewed a version with birch bark that she didn't ferment, and it seemed to take care of my allergies. Wild.)

4.3/5  rDev +31.5%

Open mind. Pour.

Moderately hazy, coppery-gold in hue with a peachy highlight; the color is quite attractive. There wasn’t any animation and the head didn’t form properly (in the sense the head didn’t form like beers typically do, maybe this is appropriate for a Sahti?). There was a tight cap of bubbles that formed a collar around the edge of the class. No subsequent lacing. There is something unique about the appearance. I’m interested. The nose is sharp and very raw; dare I say it is lambic-like. Upfront is a blast of menthol herbalness, like organic Vic’s Vapor Rub, odd yet interesting. There is acidity like a Gueuze. The juniper is most noticeable. Brine. There are lightly musty too. Vinegar. Orange yogurt. JuicyFruit candy. I am surprised at the raw complexity in this beer; I kept on smelling it only to detect more aromas. The potency is moderate but it is plenty articulate, I will not lie, I’m not sure what this beer is saying. It is more intriguing than inviting. It is drinking time. If you like Gueuze seek this beer out. I am very impressed with the palate. It is tart and puckering, the acidity is refreshing and energizing. There is a very unique taste, like orange and berry yogurt upfront. In the middle I found some piney qualities, they are dissimilar to the piney taste of hops, this is completely different. Herbal. Raw. Woody. Leather. Lemon zest. It is even weakly nutty. Tart at the finish, dry with a slight bit of alcohol warmth and some bready/nutty characteristics. The juniper is heavy in the finish, it lingers into the aftertaste, that JuicyFruit sensation reemerges. The aftertaste is long and fairly sweet with a nutty twang. The alcohol is hidden in the palate but it does hit the brain and stomach, my belly warmed quickly (the acidity might have something to do with that too). This beer is a funky son of a bitch and you know what? I really like it! Hell yeah! I had no idea what to expect but I am quite impressed. Medium in body, the carbonation is low but at no point does that negate any aspect of the mouthfeel, if fact the mouthfeel seems very sturdy. Nice! I’d say this beer would be great with funky blue cheese. This beer has that oddly compelling vibe to it, it is like Gose in that sense. The palate is wacky yet so damn refreshing and agreeable. I would not recommend this beer to anybody but a hardcore beer nerd and mostly likely somebody who really digs Belgian funk/acidity. Who knew Finland rocked like this! I will have to buy more the next time I see this beer. I purchased this bottle in Iowa City, IA.

I am now a Sahti fan.

3.9/5  rDev +19.3%

Pours out a still, dark marmalade with no head. Smells extremely malty and worty with some toasty bread-like qualities. Juniper is really far in the background. Taste is about the same with a good amount of fruity esters. Again, the juniper is pretty understated, but overall, this is pretty flavorful. Almost has a tea-like quality. Mouthfeel is kind of flat, and the body is moderate. Tasty all around, but I'd be interested in trying other interpretations of the style to see if I could find more with a bigger juniper character.

3.33/5  rDev +1.8%

I am drinking a 12 oz bottle, purchased at Wells Discount Liquors, of Lammin Kataja Olut, the only sahti-style beer that I've come across.

Appearance: The beer is an auburn orange-ish color. There is absolutely no head or hint of carbonation.

Smell: The beer has a honey and wid fruit aroma, with a hint of malty sweetness. The bittering character is interesting, as it is clearly not a hop smell.

Taste: The beer has a wild, piney taste, not quite to the extreme of, say, Alba, but there is definitely a pine-like flavor. The lack of carbonation is interesting.

Mouthfeel: The beer sits well on the palate. The juniper is an interesting flavor. While I clearly prefer hops, this is a nice change of pace.

Drinkability: The unique taste of the juniper limits the drinkability of the beer. Despite that, I like it, if only for the uniqueness of the beer.

2.68/5  rDev -18%

This was a pretty unpleasant drink. No sound when the cap came off, and the underside of the cap was a greyish tint, splotchy and resembled zombie flesh. Murky orange brown pour, no head. Smelled musty and sweet, no discernable aromas. Flavor...not much really. Herbal and tea-like, but so muted that there was little to take away from it. Especially not any clear juniper flavor. Zero carbonation, flat and watery, yet it still had an unpleasant weight in the mouth. No hint of 7%, that's good I guess. This may have been an old bottle, forgotten on the shelf at Friar Tuck in central Illinois. The sharp looking red label will always serve as a reminder to the horrors lurking in that bottle...avoid.

3.18/5  rDev -2.8%

11.2 ounce bottle from Hi Time Wine in Cosat Mesa, Ca. Purchased in May 2008 and consumed in June. Price not recorded. When I read "made with Juniper branches", I had to try this.

My first Finnish beer, and my first of the Sahti style. Therefore this review is on the overall character of the beer, and not how it relates to style.

Pours a muddy (from the sediment) copper with absolutely no head, no carbonation. Looks like thick iced tea.

Aroma of rich malt base that I usually associate with a double IPA without the hops. A bit of citrus sweetness.

Flavor is, well, odd. The flat beer mouthfeel (absolute lack of carbonation) and a trace of alcohol heat make the taste the only thing to concentrate on- a bit of orange hard candy, a bit of sweetbread, maybe a bit of oiliness from the juniper (but not much).

Having said all that, it's actually easy to drink, and I give it credit for that. Not thrilled with my first Sahti, but maybe that's because I don't know the style.

3.03/5  rDev -7.3%

Murky orange in color with no head whatsoever. Not what I'd call an attractive beer, but perhaps it's at least true to style. The taste and aroma are both quite syrupy and herbal, bringing to mind candied fruits, toffee and gin. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied and still. Interesting stuff, but I can't say I'd go out of my way to try it again.

3.33/5  rDev +1.8%

The beer pours a clear amber from the 33oml bottle, head is smallish, evaporates quickly, leaving a patchy bit of lace. Nose is sweet, earthy with a musty aroma, start is quite sweet, top is medium in feel. Finish is flat, sweet, dry, and different. First of this style I have tried, drinkable, 7 percent ABV, do not quite know what to make of this beer.

2.65/5  rDev -19%

Poured this 11.2 oz. brown bottle into a Sam Adams glass. No date. I poured hard but absolutely no glimmer of a head appeared. This is my first Shati so I am not sure if that is typical? The body looked like strong, old tea. Brown and hazy.

The smell was syrupy malts. Fruity as it warmed further. Hints of cinnamon?

The taste was tangy and mildly herbaceous. Almost cider-like. Some aftertaste of juniper but not as drying or as woody as I had expected.

The body was medium in density but it had almost no carbonation. I will not seek this one again but I would like to try other Sahtis.

3.33/5  rDev +1.8%

Pours a hazy copper-amber color. No head or lace, and very little carbonation.

Mellow and slightly musty aroma with malt, lemon, and juniper. Interesting sweet-tart aroma with a touch of gin.

Taste is fairly sweet - malty with lots of fruit. Orange and lemon lead the way. Some blueberry and pine flavors as well. Finishes slightly nutty and herbal. Different and interesting.

Medium bodied, smooth due to lack of carbonation and slightly syrupy as well. I am torn with this one - I kind of like the flavor and it grew on me, but a couple of sips was enough. I think if it had more carbonation and crispness I would have enjoyed it more. Something different to give a try.

3.2/5  rDev -2.1%

I was so drunk I can harldy remember, after consuming several chrismas beers and a bottle of 2001, Cantillon, lou pep, framboise at the toronado axisjones and myself proceeded to dive in to this beer and a bag of chips the size of a midget. ugh my head still hurts think about that.

It had this thick viscusy body with and orange hue, with a sweet aroma bit phenol and funk tones to it. I though some beer elf had switched The label on me, could of sworn it was a zatte from tj'i in holland, but there was this freaking wierd funk to it I guess that's what juniper tastes like. either way I was stoked to cross that beer of my styles drunken (no pup intended) list. if you see try it, but be where of the beer demons

2.55/5  rDev -22%

this brew pours up a murky rust color with a couple individual bubbles on top. Not a real head per say. the aroma is apples, yeast, mellow lemons, musky. the taste is slight juniper and slight malts and thats about all. the body is terrible. its just thin and is the same consistency as water. no carbo just throws this beer over the bridge for me. This is the only Sahti style beer I've ever had so I can't really compare it to anything...except for my urine and right now my urine is in the lead.

Lammin Kataja Olut from Lammin Sahti Oy