Lammin Kataja Olut - Lammin Sahti Oy

Lammin Kataja OlutLammin Kataja Olut

Lammin Sahti Oy visit their website
Finland

Sahti |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Jason on 01-10-2005)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lammin Kataja Olut Alström Bros
1.38/5  rDev -57.8%

Barely releases any pssht with the popping of the cap. Carbonation is non-existant. Pours out to a slightly hazy dark caramel, unable to form a head with no lacing. The aroma is predominately of malt with an emphasis on caramel, butterscotch, and sickly toffee. Mouthfeel is sickly syrupy and flat with a medium-dense body, leaving a gross coating in the mouth. The taste is sweet and malty, but not in a good way...more of an "August Schell" or "Berghoff" way. Diacetyl is predominant. No real bitterness to speak of. Kinda doughy and metallic. Other reviews mention sourness and juniper. I get none of either.

Well, pretty boring to me. I have no interest in ever drinking this again. It tastes like an English IPA without the hops. Hard to finish. No redeeming qualities. A complete waste of $4.49.

1.5/5  rDev -54.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This sounded so cool with Juniper (I'm a fan of gin) and I greatly anticipated trying it, but alas it's just not to my taste. Poured only a few soap suds bubbles of head and they popped immediately. The body is a hazy apple cider brown (or muddy water, take your pick). Smells so weird, not at all like the gin smell I expected. I'd say it smells more vegetal. The taste is like pickle juice only more sour. Quite unpleasant. I don't know, maybe this is a good example of the Sahti style (first I've had of it) but I couldn't stand this. It was a pricey drain pour.

1.53/5  rDev -53.2%

Straight up pour has a bubbly white head that vanishes immediately leaving no lace. Murky brown amber color. No carbonation and medium bodied. Tart apple cider nose. Starts and finishes as sour apple cider, no noticeable hops or malt if this is what juniper does to beer I can skip it. Waaay overpriced at $4.95 for a 330ml bottle from Liquid Solutions Tigard, Or.

1.63/5  rDev -50.2%

Kataja Olut IVB is a very clear, solid, caramel colored liquid with no head to speak of. It has a sweet aroma of juniper berries and a host of herbs that my nose can't identify. There's something like soy sauce in the background. It smells like a fortified wine, not a beer. It's medium light bodied, flat and abrasive. It kind of hurts my mouth. This tastes like... beer gone bad; oxidized and infected. It's salty and it burns. I don't know if this is intentional, but I suspect not. Down the drain it goes. There's no indication as to when this was bottled, but it probably wasn't recently.

1.85/5  rDev -43.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

A: Pours a deep amber with a ton of floaties in it. There is almost no head, just a think ring of tiny white bubbles around the edges of the glass.

S: The nose is sour, funky, a bit spoiled, and maybe a little infected. It's like sour cherries mixed with two week old rye bread. It smells terrible.

T: Terribly tart right up front. But then it turns into a putrid mess. It's like rotten cherries and mold rye. Good lord. I almost spit it up.

M: Medium bodied beer. It's acidic and gross, funky and spoiled.

O: Nasty. It may only be from 2008, but it's terrible. This is a straight drainpour. I can't bring myself to take another sip.

2.48/5  rDev -24.2%

I am completely unfamiliar with the style "Sahti". Upon first glance, I am unimpressed. Absolutely no tight bubbles--it pours like flat apple cider. In fact, it has the color of apple cider and is very cloudy.

Extremely sweet smell, almost like brandy-soaked sweet cherries or a kriek.

The flavor is coyingly sweet. The aftertaste adds some interest with a slight souring. Full bodied with nearly no carbonation.

This is not something I would seek out again. I think I'll have trouble finishing this one.

2.5/5  rDev -23.5%

2.5/5  rDev -23.5%

Short 330 mL bottle with red label and a viking style helmet on the front.

Appearance: Poured a light amber color, somewhat remenescent of fruit tea which would will be a recurring theme in this review. Absolutely NO head at all.

Smell: Not a very strong smell, but somewhat of a fuit odor.

Taste: What first struck me about this beer is the flatness. Perhaps this was just this bottle, but there was absolutely no foam or carbonation to speak of. The flavor reminded me of weak fruit tea.

Moutfeel: No carbonation, flat mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Definitely not worth the money I spent on the bottle, around $5 if I remember right. The beer was OK overall but not something I will seek out againl.

2.55/5  rDev -22%

this brew pours up a murky rust color with a couple individual bubbles on top. Not a real head per say. the aroma is apples, yeast, mellow lemons, musky. the taste is slight juniper and slight malts and thats about all. the body is terrible. its just thin and is the same consistency as water. no carbo just throws this beer over the bridge for me. This is the only Sahti style beer I've ever had so I can't really compare it to anything...except for my urine and right now my urine is in the lead.

2.58/5  rDev -21.1%

This beer pours a pretty bland amber/golden color with absolutely no head. The minimal amount of bubbles that it does have seem to swirl in the center of the glass for a while after poured. The smell is of roasted malts and grains, and has a strong earthy punch to it. The taste is pretty bland as well. Very monolithic, and almost reminds me of a malt beverage as there is no hop character or real grain distinctness. The absence of any kind of carbonation again makes me think of a malt beverage, and really makes this a boring beer to drink. The only good part is there is no taste of alcohol, even though its around 7%.

2.63/5  rDev -19.6%

Poured a light copper/amber with no head to speak of looked flat to me,the aromas on the other hand have plenty of life very juicy and fruity with orange really sticking out with some "wet" grain underneath.Flat feeling in the mouth just not impressed in any way there,quite sweet the flat feel just makes it unineresting to even finish there is a little fruitiness to it but nothing can save it for me,I'll stay away from this in the future.

Poured into pint glass

A - dark amber color, little no head even pouring straight down the middle, no lace

S - sweet malt, bit of alcohol, pinesol like, some sort of cherry aspect

T - bit more cherry, some caramel malt, reminiscent of an old ale just thinner, dry spicy after taste

M - light side of medium bodied, much thinner than it looks or youd expect, no carbonation - reminds me of a few of my early homebrews

D - this is my first and last of this beer, after first taste I almost drain poured it, but its getting slightly better as I keep drinking it, had a DFH sahti but traded it, need to get a hold of another to try something that is better in style

2.63/5  rDev -19.6%

This beer poured a pretty clear brown hazel with no head - not even a ppssst upon removal of the cap. The aromas were slightly musty and clearly of the juniper (bush?), an aroma known from my days of drinking Gin.

The taste was rather bland, run of the mill, but for the juniper branches. Very little to offer in terms of malt, hops, or anything really to say - hhmmn this is good.

The mouthfeel was OK, but there wasn't anything I really enjoyed about this beer. -

2.65/5  rDev -19%

Poured this 11.2 oz. brown bottle into a Sam Adams glass. No date. I poured hard but absolutely no glimmer of a head appeared. This is my first Shati so I am not sure if that is typical? The body looked like strong, old tea. Brown and hazy.

The smell was syrupy malts. Fruity as it warmed further. Hints of cinnamon?

The taste was tangy and mildly herbaceous. Almost cider-like. Some aftertaste of juniper but not as drying or as woody as I had expected.

The body was medium in density but it had almost no carbonation. I will not seek this one again but I would like to try other Sahtis.

2.65/5  rDev -19%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

This thing opened with a pfffttt of the cap – but poured a flat, lifeless hazy amber with very minimal head. Not a good start.

Aroma was a pleasant whiff of caramel with the piney undertones. But then the quaff – a sweet sugary caramel blend, almost like a soda. The flat and watery body doesn’t add anything of benefit. Somewhat like a sweet and weak barleywine – but this is one style I won’t be headed back too anytime soon.

2.68/5  rDev -18%

This was a pretty unpleasant drink. No sound when the cap came off, and the underside of the cap was a greyish tint, splotchy and resembled zombie flesh. Murky orange brown pour, no head. Smelled musty and sweet, no discernable aromas. Flavor...not much really. Herbal and tea-like, but so muted that there was little to take away from it. Especially not any clear juniper flavor. Zero carbonation, flat and watery, yet it still had an unpleasant weight in the mouth. No hint of 7%, that's good I guess. This may have been an old bottle, forgotten on the shelf at Friar Tuck in central Illinois. The sharp looking red label will always serve as a reminder to the horrors lurking in that bottle...avoid.

2.7/5  rDev -17.4%

As a readers note I have no idea how old these bottles are. I know they just showed up at my local brew shop, but I pretty sure this is not a fresh beer.

Poured an 11.2oz bottle into my Chimay chalice. This beer pours a copper-ish red with exactly 7 bubbles, I counted (just kidding, but seriously). There was just a tiny bit of escaped gas when I popped the top so I'm pretty sure its mostly flat, whether or not this is par for the style, I don't know. No lacing at all is present but a several heavily coagulated participates did join the beer in the glass when I poured it. I don't know if it was yeast or proteins. The aroma is mildly sweet, with a harsh grain aroma floating around in the background. The taste is interesting, but not necessarily in a good way. The taste is sweet, vaguely orangey, with again, that harsh grainy (think ethanol without the burn) flavor. Also a slight piney taste is noted on the very end of the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied but astringent. As for this beer, I don't think I will be drinking it again unless I can for sure, guarantee it is a fresh bottle.

2.78/5  rDev -15%

First sahti I've ever tried. Maybe the last. Got this at Ebenezer's in Lovell, ME as part of my ongoing beer education. It was an amber color with virtually no head. It smelled like malty gin. Taste was sweet (fruit), juniper berries, a little malt. Not terribly exciting. I didn't want to try another, and I pretty much always want a second serving of a new (to me) beer.

2.8/5  rDev -14.4%

Different for sure and not in all the great a way. Poured with almost no head which is now totally gone. Color is a cloudy dark amber with lots of sediment. Aroma is a pungent malt juniper(?) yeast, wet cardboard resin. Flavor is like aroma with a tart edge. Almost no carbonation. Finish is like flavor with a long lingering tartness and a little alcohol. Maybe I got a bad one.

2.83/5  rDev -13.5%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had an orange-brown color and a thick, cloudy texture. Lots of floaties. There was a small amount of foamy, quickly dissipating head. No lacing to speak of.

S: There's a sharp aroma right when you open the bottle. Malt, an herbal quality and what seemed like caramel.

T: Flavor consisted of the advertised juniper, malt and some alcohol. Mainly, this is a thin, watery brew without much personality.

M: Almost no carbonation with a flat, watery finish. Medium-bodied.

D: Not much to recommend about this beer.

2.83/5  rDev -13.5%

A very interesting beer indeed.
Amber, protein and yeast particles float about. No head, no pop upon release of the cap from the lip. A vigorous pour results in wasted effort.
Juniper and caramel with some copper in the background. Thick and sweet with a tangy aftertaste. Not tart, though. Not bad, think I'll do a little more investigation within this style..you know, just for shitz.

2.88/5  rDev -11.9%

Thick haze and light chunks of sediment heavily could its reddish brown appearance. Kataja Olut appears to be barely carbonated, if at all. There's a distinct lack of bubbles. A forceful pour yielded absolutely no head. Retention and lacing can't be discussed. I like the color, but it underperforms otherwise.

Speaking of underperforming, the nose is very weak. There's some light spicy-like notes that presume are the result of juniper twigs. It's not a bad smell at all, just way too weak. Overall it has a very earthy vibe. Perhaps smells slightly grainy. A little malt sweetness is noted. Alcohol is faint, but is noticeable. Could've been good with more strength, but as it is it's below average.

The flavor profile is not at all bad, but is crippled by the absence of bubbles. This could've been good stuff dammit. It's malty and sweet up front. There's a slight sour aspect to it that's surprising. But, it's a nice addition. It's very earthy and features some faint spicy notes. They're not prominent enough to identify. Perhaps it's just the juniper twig shining through. If more bubbles were present, I think I might like this. Alcohol isn't noticeable at all in flavor. Finishes sweet and juniper-y.

Its body is medium and has a smooth texture. But, damned if it's appeasing. This needs some bubbles badly. Drinkability is average at best. I don't really mind the flavor that much. But, undercarbonation has a severe detrimental impact. The fact that it's even hovering around average is amazing given that glaring problem. I'm good with a bottle, but am looking forward to moving on.

Kataja Olut is very interesting. It's not exactly what I was expecting. I honestly believe I'd like this beer with more bubbles. The earthy, juniper flavor has promise. Ultimately, the lack of carbonation is just too big of a problem for it to overcome. I'd be very interested in giving another Sahti a try though. It is unique and is very much worth checking out.

2.88/5  rDev -11.9%

I picked this one up at Marcello's in Lafayette LA a little while ago, and it seems like a good time to try it. And away we go...

Appearance: There was no off-gas at all when opened, so obviously there was no head. The beer itself is a still, clear, reddish golden color. I don't see any interest to leave lace by the beer, so it is very still looking overall.

Aroma: I get some oxidation, so this beer obviously has some age on it. Through the paper and sherry notes, there is a sweet backbone with a "green" aromatic that I would think was some exotic hop rather than the juniper that I read on the bottle. As the beer warms, the alcohol becomes a lot more noticeable as a spicy/prickly feeling in the nose. As it warms further, it takes on the aroma of a mild Old Ale.

Taste: The flavor is mostly sweet with a noticeable piny presence that I would certainly think was the Juniper. There is of course really no mouthfeel, and the alcohol is more reserved in the flavor than it was in the nose. Unfortunately, that is about it...this example of the beer is pretty lame in the flavor department.

Opinion: Well, obviously this beer could have been better presented. I would like to try it again if it was a fresh example because what I have here is in no way indicative of what the brewer intended.

2.88/5  rDev -11.9%

Wow what a disappointment. I was expecting the Juniper to jump out and kick my taste buds in the ...

Did not happen, what I did get was a sour tasting, somewhat malty brew with little carbonation and no real head to speak of. Was it awful? No. Was it a unique taste experience? Hardly. Too bland and characterless. I would have preferred a lambic or gueze to this one, Again, not bad but nothing worth seking out.

Lammin Kataja Olut from Lammin Sahti Oy