Lammin Kataja Olut - Lammin Sahti Oy

Lammin Kataja OlutLammin Kataja Olut

Lammin Sahti Oy visit their website

Sahti |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: Jason on 01-10-2005

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lammin Kataja Olut Alström Bros
3.06/5  rDev -6.7%

Pours a slight red colored light brown. No head whatsoever, I've never seen that before, there were a few bubble but I'm talking 10 or 12, and they were like the glug glug sort of bubbles.

Smell is of sweet herbal cough syrup, some dry drinking cocoa.

Taste is very herbal, and kind of bracing as well, also some of that cocoa comes in for a second then leaves very quickly. The flavors of this are changing so quickly I can't keep up. Kind of has an apple brandy flavor. There is something else but I just can't put my tongue on it. Minty?

Feel is thin and watery with a teeny bit of body to it, drinkability is very low, flavors need to be cleared by the non-existant carbonation. Thats a lie there is carbonation just hardly any at all.

3.29/5  rDev +0.3%

This beer pours out with no head at all. My kid's apple juice has a more full and frothy head. No lacing at all. But it has a nice color like an old penny and there's quite a bit of sediment floating around like a weak snow globe. Smells sweet and fruity. Like maple syrup and lingonberries. Tastes sweet like spiced carmel and brown sugar. No hop presence. Very unusual beer. I've never had anything quite like this before. It's totally flat. No carbonation. I want to open another one to see if this one's a fluke. Being of Finnish decent I wanted to give this beer an outstanding rating but I can not lie. It's decent but not great. It's hard to find Suomi beer. The more I drink the more SISU I get.

3.17/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

my first sahti, so don't know what to expect here.

poured into a pint glass, color is a brown/orange, no head. aroma is slighlty sweet, with a touch of caramel, and a hint of earthyness.

taste is like the aroma, sweet honey, slightly earthy notes, tea. hard to detect any juniper. mouthfeel is light, no carbonation at all, but doesn't necessarily detract from drinkablity. overall it's okay, recommended for those out to try traditional styles, but i wouldn't spend the money on this one again.

3.72/5  rDev +13.4%

This is my first Sahti. I really liked this. It had a nice sweetness to it, but it also had a bit of a tart taste too. I am starting to like the "sour" type beers more and more. Lambics, Saisons, and now Sahtis. You can taste the subtle juniper taste in the finish, but up front it's more of the fruit character. There wasn't much of a head, if any, but the body was a cloudy amber. I'll probably go get some more before I leave VA.

3.22/5  rDev -1.8%

Pours a murky brownish amber color, looks like iced tea. No head on the pour.

The aroma is ok. Kind of sweet, some caramel, a bit of grain and raisin.

The taste is ok. Sweet, grainy, hay like, a bit of alcohol and some fruits.

Mouthfeel is unimpressive. Medium bodied, but seemingly syrupy (only slightly) and really lacking in the carbonation department.

Drinkability is moderate. It tastes decent, but it's not awesome.

3.32/5  rDev +1.2%

(Served in a Nonic)

A- This beer has a deep dark copper body that is hazy with a swirl of thin foam that is gone before the first sip. There is a gentle carbonation that slowly glides to the surface.

S- This beer smells of cider with a note of dry caramel malt in the background.

T- The soft malty sweetness has a definite cider quality to it with a tap water taste. There is a faint cardboard/woody quality and a soft caramel sweetness in the finish. As the beer warms there is a faint note of pine hops that comes through.

M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel with a flat texture to it and no alcohol heat.

D- This beer has lots of flat qualities to it that I can't tell if it is old or just bland. The cider was a bit odd but added an interesting touch if only there were other flavors to it.

2.69/5  rDev -18%

This was a pretty unpleasant drink. No sound when the cap came off, and the underside of the cap was a greyish tint, splotchy and resembled zombie flesh. Murky orange brown pour, no head. Smelled musty and sweet, no discernable aromas. Flavor...not much really. Herbal and tea-like, but so muted that there was little to take away from it. Especially not any clear juniper flavor. Zero carbonation, flat and watery, yet it still had an unpleasant weight in the mouth. No hint of 7%, that's good I guess. This may have been an old bottle, forgotten on the shelf at Friar Tuck in central Illinois. The sharp looking red label will always serve as a reminder to the horrors lurking in that bottle...avoid.

3.33/5  rDev +1.5%

A- Hazy brown-orange in color. No head. Very little carbonation.

S- Smells malty... but that's not what it is. Juniper tea, maybe.

T- Tastes like malty herbal iced tea. At 7% this is not a good thing.

M- Fuller bodied that what's comfortable. VERY little carbonation.

D- I suppose that given the choice between this and water in 16th century Finland, I'd have to go with this.

3.1/5  rDev -5.5%

My second example of the style.

A: Looks kind of like thick iced tea. No head at all. But for the style that is normal.

S: Juniper up front. Weird mix of spices. Smells like 1422.

T: Tastes kind of like iced tea. Then hints of some malt and some spices. Really weird. Kind of in a good way though.

M: Iced tea. Reminds me of Arizona iced tea. I really don't know if that is good or bad. Super low carbonation.

D: While I am glad someone is still making this style I have only had two examples so it is hard for me to judge. Definately different and worth trying at least once.

Thanks to hwwty4 for this 1.
(My second Sahti.)

A- Hazy brownish orange with no head and no fizz when opened.
S- Juniper berries, mint leaves, herbal cough drops.
T- Sugary herbal tea. Nice weird flavors like a ricolah cough drop. Juniper, eucalypus, and mint come to mind.
M- Verylight and sugary up front, herbal leafy flavors make this flowery and minty in the end.

Overall- Different, but drinkable. Not as good as Otter Creek's Sahti. This 1 definitely remined me of a ricolah cough drop.
(Thanks Bill!)

3.03/5  rDev -7.6%

11.2oz bottle picked up at State Line Liquors the other day

A: Absolutely flat hazy copper pour with no semblance of carbonation or a head

S: Syrupy sweet with honey, jaggery and brown sugar. There's also a mild bitterness - I guess that's from the juniper. Mildly herbal too with a little bit of mint.

T: Sweet, like watered down honey. Mild juniper on the finish. Not bad but not particularly worthy either

M: Flat, light, sweet and no noticeable alcohol

D: Glad to try this one, doubt I'd seek the style out actively again though.

2.73/5  rDev -16.8%

As a readers note I have no idea how old these bottles are. I know they just showed up at my local brew shop, but I pretty sure this is not a fresh beer.

Poured an 11.2oz bottle into my Chimay chalice. This beer pours a copper-ish red with exactly 7 bubbles, I counted (just kidding, but seriously). There was just a tiny bit of escaped gas when I popped the top so I'm pretty sure its mostly flat, whether or not this is par for the style, I don't know. No lacing at all is present but a several heavily coagulated participates did join the beer in the glass when I poured it. I don't know if it was yeast or proteins. The aroma is mildly sweet, with a harsh grain aroma floating around in the background. The taste is interesting, but not necessarily in a good way. The taste is sweet, vaguely orangey, with again, that harsh grainy (think ethanol without the burn) flavor. Also a slight piney taste is noted on the very end of the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied but astringent. As for this beer, I don't think I will be drinking it again unless I can for sure, guarantee it is a fresh bottle.

3.19/5  rDev -2.7%

11.2 ounce bottle from Hi Time Wine in Cosat Mesa, Ca. Purchased in May 2008 and consumed in June. Price not recorded. When I read "made with Juniper branches", I had to try this.

My first Finnish beer, and my first of the Sahti style. Therefore this review is on the overall character of the beer, and not how it relates to style.

Pours a muddy (from the sediment) copper with absolutely no head, no carbonation. Looks like thick iced tea.

Aroma of rich malt base that I usually associate with a double IPA without the hops. A bit of citrus sweetness.

Flavor is, well, odd. The flat beer mouthfeel (absolute lack of carbonation) and a trace of alcohol heat make the taste the only thing to concentrate on- a bit of orange hard candy, a bit of sweetbread, maybe a bit of oiliness from the juniper (but not much).

Having said all that, it's actually easy to drink, and I give it credit for that. Not thrilled with my first Sahti, but maybe that's because I don't know the style.

3.82/5  rDev +16.5%

This beer was amber, hazy, and had no real head to speak of. What few bubbles did form dissipated almost immediately.

The aroma was quite malty, slightly sweet, and a bit fruity. Bread dough and yeast figured prominently as well. Much more nose than expected.

Taste was rich and malty, with a hint of fruitiness and a hint of juniper (which would have been hard to identify had I not known the style). It was much like a bock.

Mouthfeel was rich and smooth, more than I would have expected from this uncommon style.

Good marks for drinkability. I could have gone for another as soon as I was done.

3.07/5  rDev -6.4%

11.2 oz bottle poured into a pub glass. pours a caramel amber color with a soda type head (very loose) and no retention.

aroma is malty with a soft sourness that resembles apple juice. a malt note of caramel with an almost piney, earthy type character create a unique profile. overall, resembles apple juice with a bit of alcohol.

taste is more of the same with a watery profile and a lack of any overall character. almost like a weak tea on the palate.

mouthfeel is thin and weak, with a slick finish.

drinkability is decent. this brew is not bad, provided it is supposed to taste like flat apple juice with a bit of alcohol. somewhat flabby in profile, without enough richness to sustain the malts.

3.54/5  rDev +7.9%

Pours amber with no head and a tiny bit viscous. The aroma is pleasant with a quite sweet, almost syrupy background and a quite earthy, spicy finish that smells like crushed juniper fronds and wet earth. The taste is pretty similar, but a little thinner than the nose would suggest, but maybe not quite as syrupy either. quite spicy and earthy on the finish. The fact that there is only the barest hint of carbonation makes the mouthfeel more viscous and one dimensional to me. I would have liked a bit more to help cut that feeling. Then again, I have no idea how carbonated this style is supposed to be, this being the one and only Sahti I have tried. I have the feeling that this is perhaps a tad dumbed down, but I probably won't get to try a real farmhouse Sahti unless I go to Finland. Overall, it is definitely worth trying this unusual style, and this is as good a place to start as any. The overall impression is of a thinned syrup based beverage that has been thinned out and leaves a lasting impression of earth and evergreen. Somewhat subtle and certainly interesting. I'll chalk this one up as a cultural exploration.

Edit: After writing my review I read the brother's review and it doesn't seem like the same beer at all. I bought this beer at Bruisin' Ales in Asheville right after they got it in. I suspect that my example is what a fresh example tastes like and what the bros drank is more what it turns into after it has been in the bottle awhile. Which way is it supposed to be drunk? Who knows, but I'm pretty sure I'd prefer it fresh.

3.79/5  rDev +15.5%

11.2 oz. bottle, first time seeing a bottle of this rare style, so I had to pick it up,

A: Pours a cloudy goldnerod/amber with no head, no bubbles, no anything.

S: Light herbal notes, juniper and sugar dominate.

T: Has a distinct herbal flavour clearly from the juniper used, it's difficult to describe - kind of like a mix between wintergreen and anise. Quite sweet as well, taste is similar to Alaskan Winter Ale for me.

M: Virtually flat, syrupy, but I do like the overall feel of the beer in the mouth, light acidity.

D: An interestng beer from Finland, I definitely enjoyed the taste, and its lightness made it real easy to drink, it lasted all of 5 minutes. Certainly would like to try another example of this style.

3.41/5  rDev +4%

This is my first Sahti. I've read about it, and I've been intrigued since I saw a television program on it. Now I'm looking at the style definition, and this is certainly odd.

Purchased from Premier Gourmet, no bottled/expiration date.

A: Hazy copper with no head; very little carbonation. Plenty of sediment left stuck to the bottle.

S: Marmalade, toffee & cotton-candy with a hint of steelie, grassy hops. Alcohol/sherry.

T: Grainy; toffee; clementine; brown sugar; very little bitterness (slight sweetness), hint of tart-fruitiness; fairly dry with gin-like finish.

M: It's flat. Light to moderate body, with a dry, faintly acidic finish.

D: It's a little odd and I'm not entirely sure it's to style. I'll have to seek out another example.

3.32/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours a hazy copper-amber color. No head or lace, and very little carbonation.

Mellow and slightly musty aroma with malt, lemon, and juniper. Interesting sweet-tart aroma with a touch of gin.

Taste is fairly sweet - malty with lots of fruit. Orange and lemon lead the way. Some blueberry and pine flavors as well. Finishes slightly nutty and herbal. Different and interesting.

Medium bodied, smooth due to lack of carbonation and slightly syrupy as well. I am torn with this one - I kind of like the flavor and it grew on me, but a couple of sips was enough. I think if it had more carbonation and crispness I would have enjoyed it more. Something different to give a try.

3.12/5  rDev -4.9%

Short, fat, 11.2 oz bottle copped singly from Buy Rite on Oak Tree in South Plainfield for $3.99...
"Ale brewed with natural flavor (juniper branches) on the front, red logo sticker...
Pours an unimpressive (average to say the least) clear, lucid, bright-copper, amber color with no head at all and hardly any lacing either...
Subtle aroma reminiscent of juniper, berries, honey, and candied sugars...
Very sweet, slightly cloying, candied taste replete with a strong suggestion of malts balanced by a touch of hops... a noticeable floral and pear essence is also present, but the sweet, dominating flavor is what really stands out...
Watery, somewhat bland mouthfeel with not too much going on in this department...
Drinkability was also average at best, being way too sweet to be truly enjoyable and drinkable...
Average beer - nothing else...

3.03/5  rDev -7.6%

Murky orange in color with no head whatsoever. Not what I'd call an attractive beer, but perhaps it's at least true to style. The taste and aroma are both quite syrupy and herbal, bringing to mind candied fruits, toffee and gin. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied and still. Interesting stuff, but I can't say I'd go out of my way to try it again.

3.21/5  rDev -2.1%

I love the red and white label here. Call me a sucker for marketing, but I feel like I'm getting something brewed out of a large wooden, snow-covered barn.

The beer itself pours a hazy orange with a mellow malt and juniper aroma. The taste doesn't change much, but a slight tang reminds me of a strong Euro lager. Basically this is a simple beer, a bit of a novelty, but worth trying if like in my case, it's the only sahti you have access to.

3.82/5  rDev +16.5%

Pours a hazed amber brown with no head. Nose is like an old ale a bit. Beyond that, a bit yeasty and sugary - but just a touch. Kind of a floral character there as well. Flavor is again...kind of like an old ale with a touch of Belgian sweetness. A bit unique. Feel is low on bubble and slightly thicker with a syrup like feel. Very drinkable yes.

3.38/5  rDev +3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Aroma: Very weak aroma. Somewhat sweet smelling, but sour smelling at the same time, like a lambic. Vinous. Sour cherries.

Looks: Absolutly no head. Copper/amber in colour. Obviously no lace and no head retention, as there was no head to retain.

Taste: Very sweet, but with some balance that I suppose is coming from the juniper. Nutty. Blue berry flavour. A dull pine-like /herbal flavour is there too.

Mouthfeel: Very, very little carbonation. Syrupy. Full bodied.

3.35/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours clear off-amber color. No head.

Nose is faint with some miscellanous fruit.

Palate is a sweet and sour flavor with some prickle-y flavors in there as well. Low carbonation. Not sure why this beer is supposed to be special.

Finish is short, dissipating quickly. Not much going on,.

Lammin Kataja Olut from Lammin Sahti Oy