Lammin Kataja Olut - Lammin Sahti Oy

Lammin Kataja OlutLammin Kataja Olut

Lammin Sahti Oy visit their website
Finland

Sahti |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Jason on 01-10-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lammin Kataja Olut Alström Bros
2.65/5  rDev -19%

Poured this 11.2 oz. brown bottle into a Sam Adams glass. No date. I poured hard but absolutely no glimmer of a head appeared. This is my first Shati so I am not sure if that is typical? The body looked like strong, old tea. Brown and hazy.

The smell was syrupy malts. Fruity as it warmed further. Hints of cinnamon?

The taste was tangy and mildly herbaceous. Almost cider-like. Some aftertaste of juniper but not as drying or as woody as I had expected.

The body was medium in density but it had almost no carbonation. I will not seek this one again but I would like to try other Sahtis.

Cresant, Aug 22, 2010
3.18/5  rDev -2.8%

Beer served in a snifter. Beer is dark amber / dark orange and forms almost no head without really aggressive pour. The head is gigantic bubbles and monolayer, no lacing and no noticeable carbonation. Basically its flat.

Smells kind of malty sweet with a little bit of spice....interesting I guess.

Beer is thin and has an odd dry finish. OK it has a very odd dry finish. Its a little sweetness and not much else to it. Not a very good beer. Could be something totally different.

drabmuh, Jun 25, 2010
2.8/5  rDev -14.4%

Different for sure and not in all the great a way. Poured with almost no head which is now totally gone. Color is a cloudy dark amber with lots of sediment. Aroma is a pungent malt juniper(?) yeast, wet cardboard resin. Flavor is like aroma with a tart edge. Almost no carbonation. Finish is like flavor with a long lingering tartness and a little alcohol. Maybe I got a bad one.

drpimento, Jun 09, 2010
2.63/5  rDev -19.6%

Poured into pint glass

A - dark amber color, little no head even pouring straight down the middle, no lace

S - sweet malt, bit of alcohol, pinesol like, some sort of cherry aspect

T - bit more cherry, some caramel malt, reminiscent of an old ale just thinner, dry spicy after taste

M - light side of medium bodied, much thinner than it looks or youd expect, no carbonation - reminds me of a few of my early homebrews

D - this is my first and last of this beer, after first taste I almost drain poured it, but its getting slightly better as I keep drinking it, had a DFH sahti but traded it, need to get a hold of another to try something that is better in style

wchesak, May 27, 2010

A-Pours a hazy brown color with no head or lacing.
S-Funky sour cherries dominate the aroma and I am unable to draw out any other distant smells.
T-Better than the smell, but not by much. Tart sour cherries although it does not have a dry finish and comes across moderately refreshing. The aftertaste is earthy, oaky and malty which for me prevented this beer from being rated lower.
M-Thin with almost no carbonation. The tartness is a bit offputting.
D-This is my first of this style and I'm not sure what to measure it against. It's simply an average beer overall.

bierenutz, May 15, 2010
3.5/5  rDev +7%

Pours a hazy amber color, some carbonation, tiny off-white head, with basically no sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with some nice spice notes, and caramel. The taste is slightly sweet, malty, pretty tart, with some cinnamon notes. Medium body. Drinkable, not too bad, glad to have had a chance to try it.

Wasatch, Mar 13, 2010
3.18/5  rDev -2.8%

Poured from an 11.2-ounce brown bottle into a tulip glass.

Carefully poured to avoid the loads of sediment on the bottom of the bottle, this Sahti appears a deep copper-tinged ruby-amber, hazy and outwardly dense, and even after a fairly vigorous pour fails to produce a head.

The nose brings forward an earth-laden sweetness. Barnyard funk? Not quite, but almost, as this earthiness recalls horseblanket, but doesn't really hit it. A little fruit appears as well, sweet cherries perhaps, along with a hint of vague spicy character hiding in with the mild funk.

Body is quite full and heavy, with virtually no carbonation, making it feel much heavier than I want it to be. Sweet malt dominates the front and carries throughout, with only a slight middling bitterness with faint juniper and hop notes (as this Sahti is actually boiled and infused with hops) there to balance things out. Some banana-like esters and faint peppery spice notes appear later on toward the finish and carry over into it, with a mildly fruity-sweet character lingering afterward.

Being my first Sahti, I rated this one based on what I have read to be typically characteristic of the style as well as subjective criteria. That said, this was an interesting experience, though I look forward to hopefully trying more traditional examples of the style to have some basis for comparison. Overall, this one is too heavy and cloyingly sweet to be very drinkable or enjoyable.

superdedooperboy, Mar 12, 2010
3.55/5  rDev +8.6%

Served in a Mickey Finn's shaker pint glass.

Pours a murky amber orange with no head to speak of, precluding any discussion of retention and lacing. The nose is a mixture of sweet (gingerbread, cinnamon, brown sugar,vanilla), tart fruity (sour orange, brett), and earthy (juniper, pine, spruce, maple). Lots o' stuff happening here, thoroughly whetting the appetite for some tasty stuff...here goes: Remember all of that sweetness from the nose? Forget most of it, as only a bit of the gingerbread and cinnamon remains. The sour farmhouse-style elements are there in surprising abundance, with a good amount of the earthy juniper and spruce (with a hint of bitterness) filling up the back of the tongue. Again, there's a good amount colliding here, but it's not as pleasant as the nose. The body is deceptively in the medium range, with pretty much no carbonation whatsoever and a texture mostly akin to water. In fact, this brew really feels ver similar to a kind of grain-based tea than a beer, but I suppose that's how this style is meant to feel. Overall, this brew stands as a unique experience with a fair drinkability, which itself could increase/decrease based on continued exposure to the style and evolving feelings regarding its feel.

TMoney2591, Mar 07, 2010
3.45/5  rDev +5.5%

09/10/09- Purcahsed at a specialty foods store in Red Lodge, MT.

Presentation- 11.2oz bottle, poured into my Duvel tulip. No freshness date noted.

Appearance- Deeper amber colored pour...kinda of copper. Almost completely flat in the pour. A few tiny quick disappearing bubbles, that' sit. Looks rather lifeless and doesn't leave any lace markings. Is this normal? COuld rate it lower, but not sure if this is the norm or not.

Smell- A touch of brett, some nice tartness as well as a touch of caramel malt, some fruits and a bit of ginger.

Taste- Has an interesting flavor of both sweet and sour together. Mixes well. Some tart fruits in the mix as well as a herbel tea like flavor. Ginger is here as well with a touch of confectioniers sugar. Mixed bag.

Mouthfeel- Just the sparseness of carbonation, not much of an aftertaste. Quite dry.

Drinkability- Interesting to say the least. Will pick up another to compare if I ever see it again. My first Sahti, and definitely not my last if I can find more.

GClarkage, Sep 11, 2009
3.55/5  rDev +8.6%

Couldn't pass up grabbing one of these quasi-stubbies while in Buffalo last week, and the moose-rack Viking helmet on the label is fairly amusing. Sahti from Finland proper, made with juniper, eh? Gin isn't exactly my favourite tipple, so, well, here goes...

This beer pours a cloudy orangish-brown colour, with virtually no head, just a few sparse bubbles on the surface. It smells of mildly sweet caramel malt and warm, boozy grape juice. The taste is tart, bitter, woody, herbal, and sweet. The individual flavours are just that - quite standalone, not really resonating, or blending into a whole. The carbonation is fairly mild, the body moderately weighty, and it finishes dry, with some herbal, woody essences. The elevated alcohol isn't really noticeable.

An interesting beverage, to be sure - definitely old-school, with the forest floor flavourings replacing those of the hops. Glad I got to try it, but just the one is good.

biboergosum, Aug 30, 2009
3.33/5  rDev +1.8%

Only lightly carbonated, this beer pours into my 25cl tulip glass with a touch of large, pale bubbles covering a third of the top of my beer. The body is a amber color that shows a lightly hazed, red hue when held up to the light. The aroma smells of woody ginger, perhaps a touch of sherry and has a spicy, juniper note to it. Towards the end a touch of biscuit like grain becomes noticeable.

A very light carbonation doesn't show up enough to make this beer seem a little sweet and viscous. The finish has a peppery note as well as a spicy juniper note that just suggests gin (albeit a sweet gin). This reminds me of ginger-flavored honey water at times, but it also has a touch of cracker like grain and a touch of toasted character in the finish. There is also a touch of sherry like flavor here that resides just under the juniper note.

This is interesting, and I do like what the juniper brings to the table, but this really isn't engaging enough to keep my interest.

Gueuzedude, Jun 20, 2009
2.55/5  rDev -22%

this brew pours up a murky rust color with a couple individual bubbles on top. Not a real head per say. the aroma is apples, yeast, mellow lemons, musky. the taste is slight juniper and slight malts and thats about all. the body is terrible. its just thin and is the same consistency as water. no carbo just throws this beer over the bridge for me. This is the only Sahti style beer I've ever had so I can't really compare it to anything...except for my urine and right now my urine is in the lead.

stumac, Jun 20, 2009
3.2/5  rDev -2.1%

12 oz bottle into a pint

A - Pours a red to almost amber hue. Has some orange aspects to it as well. Head formation is non-existent - is this beer even carbonated?

S - Not finding much here. Very boring scent. I can only pick out the hint of some sourish notes.

T - Starts off very flat and sweet. An acidic edge hangs out in the background. Light in flavor - bitterness very subdued. Mid-stream finds no hopping as the juniper berries should do the job. Some sour notes build. Finishes with an almost chocolately taste - sweet and strong. Perhaps of a berry of some kind - if I knew what Junipers were like I would guess that.

M - A thick and creamy beer. Syrupy at times. Amazing body considering the apparently lack of carbonation (did this one get prematurely cracked?)

D - Fairly drinkable beer. ABV is decent but manageable. My trouble with it right now is that drinking a flat beer becomes a bit bothersome after a while.

A downright weird style of beer. Perhaps the folks at Jolly Pumpkin could give this a try as an Americanized version.

katan, May 01, 2009
2.88/5  rDev -11.9%

Thick haze and light chunks of sediment heavily could its reddish brown appearance. Kataja Olut appears to be barely carbonated, if at all. There's a distinct lack of bubbles. A forceful pour yielded absolutely no head. Retention and lacing can't be discussed. I like the color, but it underperforms otherwise.

Speaking of underperforming, the nose is very weak. There's some light spicy-like notes that presume are the result of juniper twigs. It's not a bad smell at all, just way too weak. Overall it has a very earthy vibe. Perhaps smells slightly grainy. A little malt sweetness is noted. Alcohol is faint, but is noticeable. Could've been good with more strength, but as it is it's below average.

The flavor profile is not at all bad, but is crippled by the absence of bubbles. This could've been good stuff dammit. It's malty and sweet up front. There's a slight sour aspect to it that's surprising. But, it's a nice addition. It's very earthy and features some faint spicy notes. They're not prominent enough to identify. Perhaps it's just the juniper twig shining through. If more bubbles were present, I think I might like this. Alcohol isn't noticeable at all in flavor. Finishes sweet and juniper-y.

Its body is medium and has a smooth texture. But, damned if it's appeasing. This needs some bubbles badly. Drinkability is average at best. I don't really mind the flavor that much. But, undercarbonation has a severe detrimental impact. The fact that it's even hovering around average is amazing given that glaring problem. I'm good with a bottle, but am looking forward to moving on.

Kataja Olut is very interesting. It's not exactly what I was expecting. I honestly believe I'd like this beer with more bubbles. The earthy, juniper flavor has promise. Ultimately, the lack of carbonation is just too big of a problem for it to overcome. I'd be very interested in giving another Sahti a try though. It is unique and is very much worth checking out.

prototypic, Apr 07, 2009
3.1/5  rDev -5.2%

Pours a slight red colored light brown. No head whatsoever, I've never seen that before, there were a few bubble but I'm talking 10 or 12, and they were like the glug glug sort of bubbles.

Smell is of sweet herbal cough syrup, some dry drinking cocoa.

Taste is very herbal, and kind of bracing as well, also some of that cocoa comes in for a second then leaves very quickly. The flavors of this are changing so quickly I can't keep up. Kind of has an apple brandy flavor. There is something else but I just can't put my tongue on it. Minty?

Feel is thin and watery with a teeny bit of body to it, drinkability is very low, flavors need to be cleared by the non-existant carbonation. Thats a lie there is carbonation just hardly any at all.

currysage1, Mar 07, 2009
3.3/5  rDev +0.9%

This beer pours out with no head at all. My kid's apple juice has a more full and frothy head. No lacing at all. But it has a nice color like an old penny and there's quite a bit of sediment floating around like a weak snow globe. Smells sweet and fruity. Like maple syrup and lingonberries. Tastes sweet like spiced carmel and brown sugar. No hop presence. Very unusual beer. I've never had anything quite like this before. It's totally flat. No carbonation. I want to open another one to see if this one's a fluke. Being of Finnish decent I wanted to give this beer an outstanding rating but I can not lie. It's decent but not great. It's hard to find Suomi beer. The more I drink the more SISU I get.

berserker256, Feb 09, 2009
3.18/5  rDev -2.8%

my first sahti, so don't know what to expect here.

poured into a pint glass, color is a brown/orange, no head. aroma is slighlty sweet, with a touch of caramel, and a hint of earthyness.

taste is like the aroma, sweet honey, slightly earthy notes, tea. hard to detect any juniper. mouthfeel is light, no carbonation at all, but doesn't necessarily detract from drinkablity. overall it's okay, recommended for those out to try traditional styles, but i wouldn't spend the money on this one again.

eyncognito, Dec 18, 2008
3.75/5  rDev +14.7%

This is my first Sahti. I really liked this. It had a nice sweetness to it, but it also had a bit of a tart taste too. I am starting to like the "sour" type beers more and more. Lambics, Saisons, and now Sahtis. You can taste the subtle juniper taste in the finish, but up front it's more of the fruit character. There wasn't much of a head, if any, but the body was a cloudy amber. I'll probably go get some more before I leave VA.

JISurfer, Nov 28, 2008
3.23/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours a murky brownish amber color, looks like iced tea. No head on the pour.

The aroma is ok. Kind of sweet, some caramel, a bit of grain and raisin.

The taste is ok. Sweet, grainy, hay like, a bit of alcohol and some fruits.

Mouthfeel is unimpressive. Medium bodied, but seemingly syrupy (only slightly) and really lacking in the carbonation department.

Drinkability is moderate. It tastes decent, but it's not awesome.

Goliath, Oct 20, 2008
3.33/5  rDev +1.8%

(Served in a Nonic)

A- This beer has a deep dark copper body that is hazy with a swirl of thin foam that is gone before the first sip. There is a gentle carbonation that slowly glides to the surface.

S- This beer smells of cider with a note of dry caramel malt in the background.

T- The soft malty sweetness has a definite cider quality to it with a tap water taste. There is a faint cardboard/woody quality and a soft caramel sweetness in the finish. As the beer warms there is a faint note of pine hops that comes through.

M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel with a flat texture to it and no alcohol heat.

D- This beer has lots of flat qualities to it that I can't tell if it is old or just bland. The cider was a bit odd but added an interesting touch if only there were other flavors to it.

rhoadsrage, Oct 14, 2008
2.68/5  rDev -18%

This was a pretty unpleasant drink. No sound when the cap came off, and the underside of the cap was a greyish tint, splotchy and resembled zombie flesh. Murky orange brown pour, no head. Smelled musty and sweet, no discernable aromas. Flavor...not much really. Herbal and tea-like, but so muted that there was little to take away from it. Especially not any clear juniper flavor. Zero carbonation, flat and watery, yet it still had an unpleasant weight in the mouth. No hint of 7%, that's good I guess. This may have been an old bottle, forgotten on the shelf at Friar Tuck in central Illinois. The sharp looking red label will always serve as a reminder to the horrors lurking in that bottle...avoid.

emerge077, Oct 10, 2008
3.28/5  rDev +0.3%

A- Hazy brown-orange in color. No head. Very little carbonation.

S- Smells malty... but that's not what it is. Juniper tea, maybe.

T- Tastes like malty herbal iced tea. At 7% this is not a good thing.

M- Fuller bodied that what's comfortable. VERY little carbonation.

D- I suppose that given the choice between this and water in 16th century Finland, I'd have to go with this.

Avryle, Aug 30, 2008
3.1/5  rDev -5.2%

My second example of the style.

A: Looks kind of like thick iced tea. No head at all. But for the style that is normal.

S: Juniper up front. Weird mix of spices. Smells like 1422.

T: Tastes kind of like iced tea. Then hints of some malt and some spices. Really weird. Kind of in a good way though.

M: Iced tea. Reminds me of Arizona iced tea. I really don't know if that is good or bad. Super low carbonation.

D: While I am glad someone is still making this style I have only had two examples so it is hard for me to judge. Definately different and worth trying at least once.

aerozeppl, Aug 30, 2008

Kataja

Thanks to hwwty4 for this 1.
(My second Sahti.)

A- Hazy brownish orange with no head and no fizz when opened.
S- Juniper berries, mint leaves, herbal cough drops.
T- Sugary herbal tea. Nice weird flavors like a ricolah cough drop. Juniper, eucalypus, and mint come to mind.
M- Verylight and sugary up front, herbal leafy flavors make this flowery and minty in the end.

Overall- Different, but drinkable. Not as good as Otter Creek's Sahti. This 1 definitely remined me of a ricolah cough drop.
(Thanks Bill!)

NJpadreFan, Aug 02, 2008
3.03/5  rDev -7.3%

11.2oz bottle picked up at State Line Liquors the other day

A: Absolutely flat hazy copper pour with no semblance of carbonation or a head

S: Syrupy sweet with honey, jaggery and brown sugar. There's also a mild bitterness - I guess that's from the juniper. Mildly herbal too with a little bit of mint.

T: Sweet, like watered down honey. Mild juniper on the finish. Not bad but not particularly worthy either

M: Flat, light, sweet and no noticeable alcohol

D: Glad to try this one, doubt I'd seek the style out actively again though.

DefenCorps, Jul 07, 2008