Lammin Kataja Olut - Lammin Sahti Oy

Lammin Kataja OlutLammin Kataja Olut

Lammin Sahti Oy visit their website
Finland

Sahti |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Jason on 01-10-2005)
View: Beers (4) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lammin Kataja Olut Alström Bros
Dukeofearl

3.18/5  rDev -2.8%

11.2 ounce bottle from Hi Time Wine in Cosat Mesa, Ca. Purchased in May 2008 and consumed in June. Price not recorded. When I read "made with Juniper branches", I had to try this.

My first Finnish beer, and my first of the Sahti style. Therefore this review is on the overall character of the beer, and not how it relates to style.

Pours a muddy (from the sediment) copper with absolutely no head, no carbonation. Looks like thick iced tea.

Aroma of rich malt base that I usually associate with a double IPA without the hops. A bit of citrus sweetness.

Flavor is, well, odd. The flat beer mouthfeel (absolute lack of carbonation) and a trace of alcohol heat make the taste the only thing to concentrate on- a bit of orange hard candy, a bit of sweetbread, maybe a bit of oiliness from the juniper (but not much).

Having said all that, it's actually easy to drink, and I give it credit for that. Not thrilled with my first Sahti, but maybe that's because I don't know the style.

06-07-2008 00:40:07 | More by Dukeofearl
connecticutpoet

Connecticut

3.85/5  rDev +17.7%

This beer was amber, hazy, and had no real head to speak of. What few bubbles did form dissipated almost immediately.

The aroma was quite malty, slightly sweet, and a bit fruity. Bread dough and yeast figured prominently as well. Much more nose than expected.

Taste was rich and malty, with a hint of fruitiness and a hint of juniper (which would have been hard to identify had I not known the style). It was much like a bock.

Mouthfeel was rich and smooth, more than I would have expected from this uncommon style.

Good marks for drinkability. I could have gone for another as soon as I was done.

05-31-2008 04:16:04 | More by connecticutpoet
botham

3.05/5  rDev -6.7%

11.2 oz bottle poured into a pub glass. pours a caramel amber color with a soda type head (very loose) and no retention.

aroma is malty with a soft sourness that resembles apple juice. a malt note of caramel with an almost piney, earthy type character create a unique profile. overall, resembles apple juice with a bit of alcohol.

taste is more of the same with a watery profile and a lack of any overall character. almost like a weak tea on the palate.

mouthfeel is thin and weak, with a slick finish.

drinkability is decent. this brew is not bad, provided it is supposed to taste like flat apple juice with a bit of alcohol. somewhat flabby in profile, without enough richness to sustain the malts.

05-18-2008 01:54:33 | More by botham
Georgiabeer

Georgia

3.53/5  rDev +8%

Pours amber with no head and a tiny bit viscous. The aroma is pleasant with a quite sweet, almost syrupy background and a quite earthy, spicy finish that smells like crushed juniper fronds and wet earth. The taste is pretty similar, but a little thinner than the nose would suggest, but maybe not quite as syrupy either. quite spicy and earthy on the finish. The fact that there is only the barest hint of carbonation makes the mouthfeel more viscous and one dimensional to me. I would have liked a bit more to help cut that feeling. Then again, I have no idea how carbonated this style is supposed to be, this being the one and only Sahti I have tried. I have the feeling that this is perhaps a tad dumbed down, but I probably won't get to try a real farmhouse Sahti unless I go to Finland. Overall, it is definitely worth trying this unusual style, and this is as good a place to start as any. The overall impression is of a thinned syrup based beverage that has been thinned out and leaves a lasting impression of earth and evergreen. Somewhat subtle and certainly interesting. I'll chalk this one up as a cultural exploration.

Edit: After writing my review I read the brother's review and it doesn't seem like the same beer at all. I bought this beer at Bruisin' Ales in Asheville right after they got it in. I suspect that my example is what a fresh example tastes like and what the bros drank is more what it turns into after it has been in the bottle awhile. Which way is it supposed to be drunk? Who knows, but I'm pretty sure I'd prefer it fresh.

05-15-2008 22:15:23 | More by Georgiabeer
Halcyondays

3.88/5  rDev +18.7%

11.2 oz. bottle, first time seeing a bottle of this rare style, so I had to pick it up,

A: Pours a cloudy goldnerod/amber with no head, no bubbles, no anything.

S: Light herbal notes, juniper and sugar dominate.

T: Has a distinct herbal flavour clearly from the juniper used, it's difficult to describe - kind of like a mix between wintergreen and anise. Quite sweet as well, taste is similar to Alaskan Winter Ale for me.

M: Virtually flat, syrupy, but I do like the overall feel of the beer in the mouth, light acidity.

D: An interestng beer from Finland, I definitely enjoyed the taste, and its lightness made it real easy to drink, it lasted all of 5 minutes. Certainly would like to try another example of this style.

04-28-2008 17:59:29 | More by Halcyondays
Derek

British Columbia (Canada)

3.4/5  rDev +4%

This is my first Sahti. I've read about it, and I've been intrigued since I saw a television program on it. Now I'm looking at the style definition, and this is certainly odd.

Purchased from Premier Gourmet, no bottled/expiration date.

A: Hazy copper with no head; very little carbonation. Plenty of sediment left stuck to the bottle.

S: Marmalade, toffee & cotton-candy with a hint of steelie, grassy hops. Alcohol/sherry.

T: Grainy; toffee; clementine; brown sugar; very little bitterness (slight sweetness), hint of tart-fruitiness; fairly dry with gin-like finish.

M: It's flat. Light to moderate body, with a dry, faintly acidic finish.

D: It's a little odd and I'm not entirely sure it's to style. I'll have to seek out another example.

04-14-2008 00:13:10 | More by Derek
Lupe

3.33/5  rDev +1.8%

Pours a hazy copper-amber color. No head or lace, and very little carbonation.

Mellow and slightly musty aroma with malt, lemon, and juniper. Interesting sweet-tart aroma with a touch of gin.

Taste is fairly sweet - malty with lots of fruit. Orange and lemon lead the way. Some blueberry and pine flavors as well. Finishes slightly nutty and herbal. Different and interesting.

Medium bodied, smooth due to lack of carbonation and slightly syrupy as well. I am torn with this one - I kind of like the flavor and it grew on me, but a couple of sips was enough. I think if it had more carbonation and crispness I would have enjoyed it more. Something different to give a try.

04-05-2008 18:31:10 | More by Lupe
dsa7783

3.1/5  rDev -5.2%

Short, fat, 11.2 oz bottle copped singly from Buy Rite on Oak Tree in South Plainfield for $3.99...
"Ale brewed with natural flavor (juniper branches) on the front, red logo sticker...
Pours an unimpressive (average to say the least) clear, lucid, bright-copper, amber color with no head at all and hardly any lacing either...
Subtle aroma reminiscent of juniper, berries, honey, and candied sugars...
Very sweet, slightly cloying, candied taste replete with a strong suggestion of malts balanced by a touch of hops... a noticeable floral and pear essence is also present, but the sweet, dominating flavor is what really stands out...
Watery, somewhat bland mouthfeel with not too much going on in this department...
Drinkability was also average at best, being way too sweet to be truly enjoyable and drinkable...
Average beer - nothing else...

03-30-2008 02:30:25 | More by dsa7783
largadeer

3.03/5  rDev -7.3%

Murky orange in color with no head whatsoever. Not what I'd call an attractive beer, but perhaps it's at least true to style. The taste and aroma are both quite syrupy and herbal, bringing to mind candied fruits, toffee and gin. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied and still. Interesting stuff, but I can't say I'd go out of my way to try it again.

03-13-2008 01:19:54 | More by largadeer
tempest

3.2/5  rDev -2.1%

I love the red and white label here. Call me a sucker for marketing, but I feel like I'm getting something brewed out of a large wooden, snow-covered barn.

The beer itself pours a hazy orange with a mellow malt and juniper aroma. The taste doesn't change much, but a slight tang reminds me of a strong Euro lager. Basically this is a simple beer, a bit of a novelty, but worth trying if like in my case, it's the only sahti you have access to.

12-31-2007 01:27:08 | More by tempest
RblWthACoz

3.83/5  rDev +17.1%

Pours a hazed amber brown with no head. Nose is like an old ale a bit. Beyond that, a bit yeasty and sugary - but just a touch. Kind of a floral character there as well. Flavor is again...kind of like an old ale with a touch of Belgian sweetness. A bit unique. Feel is low on bubble and slightly thicker with a syrup like feel. Very drinkable yes.

12-30-2007 23:58:57 | More by RblWthACoz
BrewSomerville

Ontario (Canada)

3.4/5  rDev +4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Aroma: Very weak aroma. Somewhat sweet smelling, but sour smelling at the same time, like a lambic. Vinous. Sour cherries.

Looks: Absolutly no head. Copper/amber in colour. Obviously no lace and no head retention, as there was no head to retain.

Taste: Very sweet, but with some balance that I suppose is coming from the juniper. Nutty. Blue berry flavour. A dull pine-like /herbal flavour is there too.

Mouthfeel: Very, very little carbonation. Syrupy. Full bodied.

12-28-2007 01:10:30 | More by BrewSomerville
yemenmocha

Arizona

3.38/5  rDev +3.4%

Pours clear off-amber color. No head.

Nose is faint with some miscellanous fruit.

Palate is a sweet and sour flavor with some prickle-y flavors in there as well. Low carbonation. Not sure why this beer is supposed to be special.

Finish is short, dissipating quickly. Not much going on,.

11-22-2007 23:23:16 | More by yemenmocha
Gusler

Arizona

3.33/5  rDev +1.8%

The beer pours a clear amber from the 33oml bottle, head is smallish, evaporates quickly, leaving a patchy bit of lace. Nose is sweet, earthy with a musty aroma, start is quite sweet, top is medium in feel. Finish is flat, sweet, dry, and different. First of this style I have tried, drinkable, 7 percent ABV, do not quite know what to make of this beer.

11-14-2007 20:39:47 | More by Gusler
smcolw

2.48/5  rDev -24.2%

I am completely unfamiliar with the style "Sahti". Upon first glance, I am unimpressed. Absolutely no tight bubbles--it pours like flat apple cider. In fact, it has the color of apple cider and is very cloudy.

Extremely sweet smell, almost like brandy-soaked sweet cherries or a kriek.

The flavor is coyingly sweet. The aftertaste adds some interest with a slight souring. Full bodied with nearly no carbonation.

This is not something I would seek out again. I think I'll have trouble finishing this one.

11-10-2007 01:13:04 | More by smcolw
Vancer

2.65/5  rDev -19%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

This thing opened with a pfffttt of the cap – but poured a flat, lifeless hazy amber with very minimal head. Not a good start.

Aroma was a pleasant whiff of caramel with the piney undertones. But then the quaff – a sweet sugary caramel blend, almost like a soda. The flat and watery body doesn’t add anything of benefit. Somewhat like a sweet and weak barleywine – but this is one style I won’t be headed back too anytime soon.

11-02-2007 14:35:13 | More by Vancer
acrawf6

Louisiana

3.13/5  rDev -4.3%

One of the toughest bottle caps to get off...

Pours out a very cloudy reddish rust color with no head.

Smell. My first sahti, but it really does remind me of a lambic in character, lots of spices. Juniper seems to be the dominant aroma, with lots of characteristics that go into it- some cinnamon, and a touch of fruit, like canned peaches. Also has a significant amount of tartness to it.

Taste. Quite different. Sorta reminds me of a light fruit nectar drink, especially with the carbonation being so low. Has a potent yeastiness to it that is very earthy- woody and dirt is what i can come up with. Has a bit of sweet and tart fruitiness to it as well. Lots of the spiciness the aroma had. Aftertaste still reminds me of a nectar. Its fruity and dryer than i thought it would be. Still quite earthy.

Mouthfeel. Very unique. Carbonation has just enough presence to say it is there and give a little tingle. But with the carbonation low, doesnt have it feeling empty. There is a fullness, along with a slickness at the same time. Quite interesting.

Overall, a very interesting beer that is very unique. Similar to a lambic, but with no carbonation. With that being said, my preference is to have that carbonation. I find myself taking little sips as it feel odd in my mouth without the carbonation, plus the flavor being so different than most other beers. This is certainly one I am glad i got to explore, but the style is just not for me.

10-18-2007 00:52:13 | More by acrawf6
seedee17

Colorado

3.33/5  rDev +1.8%

My first sahti. I suppose since I have never had another sahti to know what is representative of the style, this review was interesting. Pours a coppery brown, with little to no head. Vinous aroma, with a hint of cidery tartness and freshly cut apple slices. Caramely booziness lurks in the background. Fruity flavors abound,with hints of pear and Macintosh apple mingling with a caramelized sugar sweetness, topped off with a slight tartness. Strangely viscous, yet thin mouthfeel, with an extremely clean finish. Not what I expected, and I don't mean that in a bad way. Could benefit from a little more carbonation.

09-27-2007 18:37:51 | More by seedee17
SkeeterHawk

2.88/5  rDev -11.9%

I picked this one up at Marcello's in Lafayette LA a little while ago, and it seems like a good time to try it. And away we go...

Appearance: There was no off-gas at all when opened, so obviously there was no head. The beer itself is a still, clear, reddish golden color. I don't see any interest to leave lace by the beer, so it is very still looking overall.

Aroma: I get some oxidation, so this beer obviously has some age on it. Through the paper and sherry notes, there is a sweet backbone with a "green" aromatic that I would think was some exotic hop rather than the juniper that I read on the bottle. As the beer warms, the alcohol becomes a lot more noticeable as a spicy/prickly feeling in the nose. As it warms further, it takes on the aroma of a mild Old Ale.

Taste: The flavor is mostly sweet with a noticeable piny presence that I would certainly think was the Juniper. There is of course really no mouthfeel, and the alcohol is more reserved in the flavor than it was in the nose. Unfortunately, that is about it...this example of the beer is pretty lame in the flavor department.

Opinion: Well, obviously this beer could have been better presented. I would like to try it again if it was a fresh example because what I have here is in no way indicative of what the brewer intended.

08-15-2007 02:45:08 | More by SkeeterHawk
BEERchitect

Kentucky

3.98/5  rDev +21.7%

A welcome addition to Pazzo's, Lexington KY. Maybe my first Sahti. The beer opens with a surprisingly viscous appearance; heavy, malty, rusty, and quite hazy in appearance. Head retention was lacking, compared to most Wee heavys and Scottish Ales which have similar appearances. Aromas are very malty, bready, and fruity (dehydrated figs, plumbs, pears, raisons, grapes, and berries). Mild tartness touches a bit on a vineous side. Flavors of heavy, sweet malts prevail (maybe Marris Otter malts), richly bready and yeasty. The dark fruits gain intensity throughout the session and as the beers warm, becomming tart, spicy, and estery late. The balance remains heavy toward the sweetness with a complementary juniper berry flavor and woodiness constant in the background. The feel is weighted, but not as heavy as the appearance suggests. The alcohols thin the body a bit and add complexity to the tart, berry character. Finishes expectedly sweet with a long woody lingering. Very complex and rich, even with light hop additions (if any hops were used at all). A well-rounded, complex beer with lots of flavor. Not the cleanest tasting of beers, but no obvious off-flavors. Certainly worth a try for any bold English / Scottish Ale lovers who may want a touch of Belgian Ale characteristics.

07-28-2007 17:24:40 | More by BEERchitect
goochpunch

3.9/5  rDev +19.3%

Pours out a still, dark marmalade with no head. Smells extremely malty and worty with some toasty bread-like qualities. Juniper is really far in the background. Taste is about the same with a good amount of fruity esters. Again, the juniper is pretty understated, but overall, this is pretty flavorful. Almost has a tea-like quality. Mouthfeel is kind of flat, and the body is moderate. Tasty all around, but I'd be interested in trying other interpretations of the style to see if I could find more with a bigger juniper character.

07-19-2007 05:09:28 | More by goochpunch
Toddv29424

District of Columbia

2.58/5  rDev -21.1%

This beer pours a pretty bland amber/golden color with absolutely no head. The minimal amount of bubbles that it does have seem to swirl in the center of the glass for a while after poured. The smell is of roasted malts and grains, and has a strong earthy punch to it. The taste is pretty bland as well. Very monolithic, and almost reminds me of a malt beverage as there is no hop character or real grain distinctness. The absence of any kind of carbonation again makes me think of a malt beverage, and really makes this a boring beer to drink. The only good part is there is no taste of alcohol, even though its around 7%.

06-24-2007 00:34:15 | More by Toddv29424
jwc215

Wisconsin

3.15/5  rDev -3.7%

Pours light amber with only a few fleeting bubbles.

The smell is of herb, mainly juniper, with apple cider. Some sweet malt.

The taste is herbal (juniper). Caramelish malt also comes through. Some hot alcohol. Sweet finish.

It has a medium body. Smooth despite little to no carbonation. Somewhat of a flat feel to it.

Not much going on here. Flavor doesn't exactly jump out at you. "Interesting" - But, that's about it.

05-25-2007 06:01:29 | More by jwc215
PlaywrightSam

3.5/5  rDev +7%

Bottle into snifter. A: No head whatsoever. Hazy amber color. S: Sweet berries, caramel, malts, honey. T; Citrus notes, very malty and sweet, a slightly bitter finish with the juniper coming through. M: Watery, no carbonation. D: At first it’s a little off-putting with the thin mouthfeel and complete lack of any carbonation, but the juniper flavor is really interesting and it’s very easy to drink. Definitely worth a try.

04-13-2007 03:53:29 | More by PlaywrightSam
86sportster883

3.28/5  rDev +0.3%

The Katalja Olut IVB is the first Sahti I've ever tried, and all I know of the style is what’s published on BA. It pours semi-clear copper and looks and smells a little like a spicy cider. The smell is definitely unique, and enticing, but with no head and little carbonation, it's hard to even think of this as beer. The barely perceptible carbonation was a significant detractor in the overall experience. It makes this medium bodied brew seem almost syrupy, like a half glass of barley wine that was left in the fridge overnight. The taste is pleasant; moderately sweet followed by a drying finish and a hint of tartness. Not bad, but for the $4 / 11.2 oz price tag I expected something a little more complex.

04-10-2007 02:56:38 | More by 86sportster883