Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Lammin Kataja Olut - Lammin Sahti Oy

Lammin Kataja OlutLammin Kataja Olut

Lammin Sahti Oy visit their website

Sahti |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: Jason on 01-10-2005

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lammin Kataja Olut Alström Bros
3.3/5  rDev +0.6%

The beer pours a clear amber from the 33oml bottle, head is smallish, evaporates quickly, leaving a patchy bit of lace. Nose is sweet, earthy with a musty aroma, start is quite sweet, top is medium in feel. Finish is flat, sweet, dry, and different. First of this style I have tried, drinkable, 7 percent ABV, do not quite know what to make of this beer.

2.48/5  rDev -24.4%

I am completely unfamiliar with the style "Sahti". Upon first glance, I am unimpressed. Absolutely no tight bubbles--it pours like flat apple cider. In fact, it has the color of apple cider and is very cloudy.

Extremely sweet smell, almost like brandy-soaked sweet cherries or a kriek.

The flavor is coyingly sweet. The aftertaste adds some interest with a slight souring. Full bodied with nearly no carbonation.

This is not something I would seek out again. I think I'll have trouble finishing this one.

2.69/5  rDev -18%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

This thing opened with a pfffttt of the cap – but poured a flat, lifeless hazy amber with very minimal head. Not a good start.

Aroma was a pleasant whiff of caramel with the piney undertones. But then the quaff – a sweet sugary caramel blend, almost like a soda. The flat and watery body doesn’t add anything of benefit. Somewhat like a sweet and weak barleywine – but this is one style I won’t be headed back too anytime soon.

3.17/5  rDev -3.4%

One of the toughest bottle caps to get off...

Pours out a very cloudy reddish rust color with no head.

Smell. My first sahti, but it really does remind me of a lambic in character, lots of spices. Juniper seems to be the dominant aroma, with lots of characteristics that go into it- some cinnamon, and a touch of fruit, like canned peaches. Also has a significant amount of tartness to it.

Taste. Quite different. Sorta reminds me of a light fruit nectar drink, especially with the carbonation being so low. Has a potent yeastiness to it that is very earthy- woody and dirt is what i can come up with. Has a bit of sweet and tart fruitiness to it as well. Lots of the spiciness the aroma had. Aftertaste still reminds me of a nectar. Its fruity and dryer than i thought it would be. Still quite earthy.

Mouthfeel. Very unique. Carbonation has just enough presence to say it is there and give a little tingle. But with the carbonation low, doesnt have it feeling empty. There is a fullness, along with a slickness at the same time. Quite interesting.

Overall, a very interesting beer that is very unique. Similar to a lambic, but with no carbonation. With that being said, my preference is to have that carbonation. I find myself taking little sips as it feel odd in my mouth without the carbonation, plus the flavor being so different than most other beers. This is certainly one I am glad i got to explore, but the style is just not for me.

3.32/5  rDev +1.2%

My first sahti. I suppose since I have never had another sahti to know what is representative of the style, this review was interesting. Pours a coppery brown, with little to no head. Vinous aroma, with a hint of cidery tartness and freshly cut apple slices. Caramely booziness lurks in the background. Fruity flavors abound,with hints of pear and Macintosh apple mingling with a caramelized sugar sweetness, topped off with a slight tartness. Strangely viscous, yet thin mouthfeel, with an extremely clean finish. Not what I expected, and I don't mean that in a bad way. Could benefit from a little more carbonation.

2.89/5  rDev -11.9%

I picked this one up at Marcello's in Lafayette LA a little while ago, and it seems like a good time to try it. And away we go...

Appearance: There was no off-gas at all when opened, so obviously there was no head. The beer itself is a still, clear, reddish golden color. I don't see any interest to leave lace by the beer, so it is very still looking overall.

Aroma: I get some oxidation, so this beer obviously has some age on it. Through the paper and sherry notes, there is a sweet backbone with a "green" aromatic that I would think was some exotic hop rather than the juniper that I read on the bottle. As the beer warms, the alcohol becomes a lot more noticeable as a spicy/prickly feeling in the nose. As it warms further, it takes on the aroma of a mild Old Ale.

Taste: The flavor is mostly sweet with a noticeable piny presence that I would certainly think was the Juniper. There is of course really no mouthfeel, and the alcohol is more reserved in the flavor than it was in the nose. Unfortunately, that is about it...this example of the beer is pretty lame in the flavor department.

Opinion: Well, obviously this beer could have been better presented. I would like to try it again if it was a fresh example because what I have here is in no way indicative of what the brewer intended.

3.97/5  rDev +21%

A welcome addition to Pazzo's, Lexington KY. Maybe my first Sahti. The beer opens with a surprisingly viscous appearance; heavy, malty, rusty, and quite hazy in appearance. Head retention was lacking, compared to most Wee heavys and Scottish Ales which have similar appearances. Aromas are very malty, bready, and fruity (dehydrated figs, plumbs, pears, raisons, grapes, and berries). Mild tartness touches a bit on a vineous side. Flavors of heavy, sweet malts prevail (maybe Marris Otter malts), richly bready and yeasty. The dark fruits gain intensity throughout the session and as the beers warm, becomming tart, spicy, and estery late. The balance remains heavy toward the sweetness with a complementary juniper berry flavor and woodiness constant in the background. The feel is weighted, but not as heavy as the appearance suggests. The alcohols thin the body a bit and add complexity to the tart, berry character. Finishes expectedly sweet with a long woody lingering. Very complex and rich, even with light hop additions (if any hops were used at all). A well-rounded, complex beer with lots of flavor. Not the cleanest tasting of beers, but no obvious off-flavors. Certainly worth a try for any bold English / Scottish Ale lovers who may want a touch of Belgian Ale characteristics.

3.89/5  rDev +18.6%

Pours out a still, dark marmalade with no head. Smells extremely malty and worty with some toasty bread-like qualities. Juniper is really far in the background. Taste is about the same with a good amount of fruity esters. Again, the juniper is pretty understated, but overall, this is pretty flavorful. Almost has a tea-like quality. Mouthfeel is kind of flat, and the body is moderate. Tasty all around, but I'd be interested in trying other interpretations of the style to see if I could find more with a bigger juniper character.

2.62/5  rDev -20.1%

This beer pours a pretty bland amber/golden color with absolutely no head. The minimal amount of bubbles that it does have seem to swirl in the center of the glass for a while after poured. The smell is of roasted malts and grains, and has a strong earthy punch to it. The taste is pretty bland as well. Very monolithic, and almost reminds me of a malt beverage as there is no hop character or real grain distinctness. The absence of any kind of carbonation again makes me think of a malt beverage, and really makes this a boring beer to drink. The only good part is there is no taste of alcohol, even though its around 7%.

3.17/5  rDev -3.4%

Pours light amber with only a few fleeting bubbles.

The smell is of herb, mainly juniper, with apple cider. Some sweet malt.

The taste is herbal (juniper). Caramelish malt also comes through. Some hot alcohol. Sweet finish.

It has a medium body. Smooth despite little to no carbonation. Somewhat of a flat feel to it.

Not much going on here. Flavor doesn't exactly jump out at you. "Interesting" - But, that's about it.

3.45/5  rDev +5.2%

Bottle into snifter. A: No head whatsoever. Hazy amber color. S: Sweet berries, caramel, malts, honey. T; Citrus notes, very malty and sweet, a slightly bitter finish with the juniper coming through. M: Watery, no carbonation. D: At first it’s a little off-putting with the thin mouthfeel and complete lack of any carbonation, but the juniper flavor is really interesting and it’s very easy to drink. Definitely worth a try.

3.27/5  rDev -0.3%

The Katalja Olut IVB is the first Sahti I've ever tried, and all I know of the style is what’s published on BA. It pours semi-clear copper and looks and smells a little like a spicy cider. The smell is definitely unique, and enticing, but with no head and little carbonation, it's hard to even think of this as beer. The barely perceptible carbonation was a significant detractor in the overall experience. It makes this medium bodied brew seem almost syrupy, like a half glass of barley wine that was left in the fridge overnight. The taste is pleasant; moderately sweet followed by a drying finish and a hint of tartness. Not bad, but for the $4 / 11.2 oz price tag I expected something a little more complex.

4.51/5  rDev +37.5%

Cloudy, almost opaque orange body with no head. Dark bits of junk floating around in the beer. Aroma is very malty, but from a distance slightly piney notes can be discerned. Flavor is pretty sweet, with slightly roasted notes atop thick biscuit malt flavors. The maltiness is nearly like sampling wort. Just a slight bit of bitterness comes through, but it's not bitter like hops. Astringency may be a better term, but it balances out the malt really well and cleanses the plate somewhat. Almost like adding a slice of lemon to water. Mouthfeel is rich and luscious. This is really an enjoyable beer. It's a malt lover's dream. Drinkability is also great, because even though it's malty, it never gets cloyingly sweet due to the juniper. I was prepared to be turned off by this beer, but I'm really digging it. Might have to go buy a sixer and then try to make some myself! Highly recommended for those who appreciate malt and for those who want to experience different styles of beer. Don't bother if you're purely a hop-head.

3.72/5  rDev +13.4%

Pours halfway clear-and-cloudy, with pretty much no head and very little carbonation. Color is medium amber with a bit of muddy brown and little in the way of highlights. Smell is very fruity and interesting -- compelling caramel malts, apple fruits, honey, and some fruity sharpness that I have to assume is from the traditional juniper berries. It reminds me of the aroma of an English old ale, actually. Mouthfeel is thick and still and very smooth with unfermented sugars. Flavor-wise, a bit watery first off, coupled with a sharp, herbal juniper taste, before thin caramel notes, licorice and apple come out midway in. Drier finish, with some acidic fruity elements sticking around the palate for a while. Overall, this is very interesting. It's the first sahti I've had, so I can't really comment on its relative merit, but I can say that I found it enjoyable over one glass.

Murky dark orange colour with a bit of coarse foam. Not much lace, but what's there is fine and spotty. Very malty aroma with some brown sugar and bread crust notes. Also very light juniper berry fruitiness. Malty flavour, but not sickeningly sweet. Some breadiness, brown sugar, and caramel throughout. A bit earthy as well, and the juniper really comes out towards the end, giving it an herbal, medicinal quality and mild tartness that lingers. Slight warmth and dryness in the finish. Slick mouthfeel, full bodied, with very low carbonation. I found this quite easy to drink, which surprised me a bit. Tasty and out of the ordinary. Thanks go out to Wintermute for putting this in my shopping basket!

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

So i've heard a lot about this style, most notably that Otter Creek was brewing one, but since that wasn't available, I decided i'de get the real thing with this one. Cool looking red label, with a helmet on the front. Pours a nice pumpkin orange color with absolutely no head at all. Smell was very interesting...almost mead like with honey, floral characters, sweet candy sugar and alcohol. Taste was a bit duller ,with some lemon, and almost an English Ale like characteristic also. Mouthfeel was sort of flat and clunky. A bit more carbonation would have balanced things out somewhat I think. Not a bad beer to try, but I can't promise that I'll be picking it up again...maybe the Otter Creek offering.

3.49/5  rDev +6.4%

Drank from an 11.2 fl. oz. bottle purchased at Charles Street Liquors, Boston, MA

Poured a translucent red iron oxide with tons of sediment floating. The beer looked very similar to apple cider. There was absolutely no head but some white bubbles which quickly disappeared.

The smell was sour and funky, with some apples noticeable (sour apples) akin to a lambic or a Flemish sour ale.

Taste was similar to smell. Quite acidic and tart with some fruitiness (sour apples and cherries), oakiness and a wild ale style funk. The sourness was present from start to finish yet it crescendoed as it moved along the palate. Some spices noticeable up front (but no juniper, as can be expected with this style). Star fruit was detectable on the rear of the palate. The beer tasted like a cross between a hard, dry cider and a Flemish sour ale. Absolutely no hop presence and no aftertaste.

Mouthfeel was thin and flat (as expected). This beer would pair nicely with cheese and bread or possibly certain meats, yet alone it would be undrinkable.

The alcohol at 7% however was quite well hidden.

Sampling this beer was an interesting and unique experience but at $5 a bottle I do not think I would try it again.

3.23/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

An absence of escaping gas on crown cracking is rarely a good thing, but then this is sure to be such a unique experience that I'm going to keep an open mind. The sahti is electric pumpkin orange with none of the expected turbidity. It doesn't seem right to call the thing temporarily perched atop the liquid a head. It's more a loose collection of brittle bubbles that is gone within minutes and leaves no glass coverage whatsoever. I won't mark it down too low though, since I'm not so sure that this isn't how it's supposed to look.

The nose is exceedingly underpowered, probably as a result of almost no aerosolization due to an almost complete lack of carbonation. It's a little musty, I suppose. I know what juniper berries smell like, but have no idea what juniper twigs smell like? In any case, there's nothing especially twig-like about the nose.

Kataja Olut is actually pretty interesting stuff and is good in a different sort of way. I can see how comparisons to lambics or wild ales would be entirely appropriate given the mildly funky sourness that greets my every sip. I'm also surprised by the sweetness. While it isn't overly sweet, I was expecting something dry and snappy for some reason.

This... beverage (I keep wanting to call it beer) is impressively herbal. In fact, it reminds me of a low-ABV, herb-infused liqueur; an impression aided by a full body and a light syrupiness on the back end. It isn't nearly as chock full of botanicals as Bombay Sapphire, but it reminds me of gin as well. Hey, maybe the juniper (twigs here, berries in gin) has something to do with that flavor impression.

I'm a little surprised that there's absolutely no hint of alcohol. With something less than a taste bud-busting amount of flavor, I would have thought that 7% would be noticeable, but it isn't. I've already mentioned the mouthfeel. It's closer to medium than to full. Oddly enough, I find that I don't mind the lack of bubbles one bit.

I'm glad that I gave Kataja Olut a chance, even if I have no desire to drink it again. I like exotic and different as much as the next BA, but a... beer-like beverage... has to be good in order to warrant a repeat purchase. Interesting only works the first time around.

3.62/5  rDev +10.4%

Thanks to akorsak for the sample

Presentation: 33cL bottle, poured into a pint glass

Appearanche: A dark copper/amber color, with no head and only faint carbonation.

Aroma: Sweet, malty, herbal and a hint of juniper

Taste and Mouthfeel: Slick, heavy mouthfeel. Not something you'd drink to quench thirst. Malt sweetness hits up front, with a moderate ale fruitiness, somewhat like an old ale. Spicy and herbal notes follow, while the hint of juniper comes out in the drier finish. Warm alcohol presence.

Notes: I went into this not knowing what to expect, but it turns out I like Sahti, at least this one. I found it to be quite pleasant, even without much carbonation. The aromas and flavors blended nicely and the alcohol content was nice and warming on a cool, fall day. I hope to run into this again some day.

3.1/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a reddish brown with a short-lasting fizzy head. Herbal and spice medicinal aroma Medium cherryish sticky medicine herbal like. Little carbonation. Mildly tarty and Sweetish residue aftertaste.Dry, warm, warming. In a word, cough medicine. A pint is too much.

3.84/5  rDev +17.1%

Appearance: Pours a hazy copper color with a modest head that, as expected, disappears quickly to a ringlet and leaves no lacing

Smell: Caramel malt and juniper berries - smells like a mixture of a Wee Heavy and gin; rather rich and wild

Taste: Very malty caramel flavors up front, almost leathery; after the swallow, the earthy juniper flavors start to kick in; slightly sour green apple finish

Mouthfeel: Thick bodied with relatively low carbonation

Drinkability: Reading through the reviews here, I am struck by the variety of descriptions; I didn't get much of the lambic or geuze flavors at all and I suspect that may be because my beer was a fresher sample (somebody noted that Sahtis can turn quickly and, when they do, they become sour) than others have tasted; It's far from my favorite style but I did enjoy the opportunity to taste this ancient brew

2.8/5  rDev -14.6%

First sahti I've ever tried. Maybe the last. Got this at Ebenezer's in Lovell, ME as part of my ongoing beer education. It was an amber color with virtually no head. It smelled like malty gin. Taste was sweet (fruit), juniper berries, a little malt. Not terribly exciting. I didn't want to try another, and I pretty much always want a second serving of a new (to me) beer.

2.68/5  rDev -18.3%

Poured a light copper/amber with no head to speak of looked flat to me,the aromas on the other hand have plenty of life very juicy and fruity with orange really sticking out with some "wet" grain underneath.Flat feeling in the mouth just not impressed in any way there,quite sweet the flat feel just makes it unineresting to even finish there is a little fruitiness to it but nothing can save it for me,I'll stay away from this in the future.

1.54/5  rDev -53%

Straight up pour has a bubbly white head that vanishes immediately leaving no lace. Murky brown amber color. No carbonation and medium bodied. Tart apple cider nose. Starts and finishes as sour apple cider, no noticeable hops or malt if this is what juniper does to beer I can skip it. Waaay overpriced at $4.95 for a 330ml bottle from Liquid Solutions Tigard, Or.

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Strubby little squat bottle. Crude look to the label, but I like the antler helmet.

It's still. Quiet. Sans carbonation. I didn't expect that. Caramel colored, dusky and slick. Smells of citric rind, toffee, caramel, leather, malt syrup, and oranges. A sip is sweet, fruity, orange and melon, not the faintest hint of fizz, but big malt with an earthy background, metallic, with a quick finish, dry and seltzerish.

The aftertaste is tart, almost salty, vaguely smoky. The mouthfeel is slick and Snapple-ish, not very appealing.

Mighty interesting and not unpleasant, but not one I would come back to.

Lammin Kataja Olut from Lammin Sahti Oy